GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The metaphor of the U.S. electoral system being a driver ramming a car in D and R between two concrete barriers carries on, then.

Eh, I've never been a big fan of Erickson. Every time I see him on tv or check out redstate, he just seems to be saying what/who he's against and never what/who he's for. He's just being overly-dramatic because he's not getting his way.

that's fair. i find Erickson to be a huge intellectual step down from virtually everyone else called upon to give commentary on CNN, which is really saying something.

it's still there, though, and the point is that this is something Romney is going to have to deal with, and i agree that he will have to prove his conservative credentials if elected -- which means push for an anti-gay amendment to the constitution, further reductions of reproductive freedom, appointing only graduates of Liberty "University" to federal judgships, etc.

that's fair. i find Erickson to be a huge intellectual step down from virtually everyone else called upon to give commentary on CNN, which is really saying something.

it's still there, though, and the point is that this is something Romney is going to have to deal with, and i agree that he will have to prove his conservative credentials if elected -- which means push for an anti-gay amendment to the constitution, further reductions of reproductive freedom, appointing only graduates of Liberty "University" to federal judgships, etc.

He doesn't really add much, does he? In fact, everything he said in that op-ed, I had already said here in FYM.

That said, he doesn't bother me on CNN. I'd rather listen to anyone other than Gloria Borger. Maybe it's just her voice or mannerisms...I can't stand her.

He doesn't really add much, does he? In fact, everything he said in that op-ed, I had already said here in FYM.

the difference is that a lot of people read redstate.com, and he commands an audience and gives voice to a large set of people who read and comment on his blog.

GOP senator says Cain should quit if allegations are true – CNN

flavor of the month

enhanced-buzz-18322-1320769342-31.jpg

the "personhood" (read: anti-choice) amendment fails in MS.

the anti-union law in OH is crushed.

the Dem wins in KY.

also, VA elected it's first openly gay state senator. :up:

And being fair and balanced:

Looks like the GOP might win the MS state House.
The Republican won the MS governor race.
The Obamacare mandate was overwhelmingly rejected in OH.
And I haven't heard the latest, but there's a chance the GOP takes back the VA Senate. Hasn't been called yet, though. A GOP win would give them total control of the state.

All in all, really no surprises, except for maybe the personhood thing. I don't know a lot about it, but from what I've heard even some conservatives and pro-lifers weren't fully behind it. :shrug:

and a conservative court upheld the Affordable Care Act mandate.

but the biggest thing is the Ohio union vote, not the win but the margin of the win. the state is looking a little bit bluer today.

all in all, as you said, no surprises. looking like the anti-incumbancy fervor of 2010 has abated.

and a conservative court upheld the Affordable Care Act mandate.

but the biggest thing is the Ohio union vote, not the win but the margin of the win. the state is looking a little bit bluer today.

all in all, as you said, no surprises. looking like the anti-incumbancy fervor of 2010 has abated.

But the thing that's going to impact 2012 more isn't the action of any court but how badly the voters reject it. And though it was basically symbolic, the swing state of Ohio rejected it two-to-one. That's not a good sign for Democrats.

Regarding the union bill, I heard Karl Rove talking last night and he said a number of individual elements of the bill were fairly popular (and I've read a couple articles this morning saying the same), but the collective bargaining part wasn't and brought the whole thing down. We'll see if it's revamped in any way.

from my perspective, the ACA is simply good policy (and one that will get better), whether or not it's popular with voters.

both OH and FL have very unpopular governors, giving Obama good opportunities to hold those states.

VA is interesting -- though the Gov campaigned as a Christianist, he's been very moderate in office (despite his psychotic AG) and has worked well with Democrats. however, GOP gains in the Senate were supposed to have been bigger than they were.

still, despite how much bluer VA has become thanks to it's liberal, educated northern suburbs that have given the state so much revenue, it's not like i should start planning my Virginia wedding anytime soon.

Tonight's CNBC debate just finished up. Romney and Gingrich won, both get an "A." Ron Paul did surprisingly well too, a strong "B." Everyone else did average, I think, except for two people...

If I didn't think so before, I do now: Neither Rick Perry nor Herman Cain can be our nominee. Rick Perry had a truly cringe-worthy moment which you'll probably be seeing a lot of tomorrow. Actually he had a number of poor responses. And Cain simply cannot answer a question without referencing 999. He just can't. Whether it's about housing, China, bailouts, whatever. All his answers are the same. Tucker Carlson is right with what he said on Red Eye the other night- will conservatives please stop pretending he's qualified for the presidency? Nice guy, admirable life story, but please, let's just stop.

2861U2 said:
Tucker Carlson is right with what he said on Red Eye the other night- will conservatives please stop pretending he's qualified for the presidency? Nice guy, admirable life story, but please, let's just stop.
That's rather honest for Tucker. Good for him. :up:

I'd agree with 2861U2. Look for Romney and Gingrich to emerge as the front runners. Paul moves up to 3rd. Paul was great tonight, especially on the student loan question, but his foreign policy keeps him from advancing much further. Iran's quest for nuclear weapons and political hegemony in the Middle East will be a bigger story in the months to come and Paul is as naive as our current president when it comes to dealing with Iran.

Iran's quest for nuclear weapons and political hegemony in the Middle East will be a bigger story in the months to come and Paul is as naive as our current president when it comes to dealing with Iran.
Israel deciding to go it alone and strike Iranian nuclear facilities might throw a very interesting twist into 2012 politics.

reminds me a lot of George W Bush, he always has.
Enough americans should love him, then!

Had he just said that he has a memory lapse instead of trying to dodge/talk his way out of answering the question, it would have been much better. He mentioned later it was the dept. of energy, but it was too late, the damage had been done.

I hate the man, but it was still painful to watch.

“Princess Nancy.” :huh:

Former Godfather’s Pizza CEO Herman Cain stumbled, calling former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) “Princess Nancy.”

In response to a question on health-care policy, Cain told the crowd that there was a Republican plan to fix the system, but “Princess Nancy sent it to committee and it stayed there.”

It was a reference to Georgia Republican Rep. Tom Price’s’ (Ga.) health-care bill, known as H.R.3000, which was allegedly shelved when Pelosi was House speaker (when Republicans took control of the House in 2010, Pelosi became the minority leader).

Cain’s campaign tweeted out his debate comments. But Cain himself began to walk his words back as soon as the debate was over. “That was a statement that I probably shouldn’t have made, but I was trying to make a point,” he told CNBC.

Cain got laughter from the debate audience, but many Republicans were not amused.

“She earned that title,” said Reublican strategist Steve Schmidt on MSNBC, referring to Pelosi. “It was contempt [Cain] showed her.”

Former White House Press Secretary Dana Perino concurred on Twitter: “Ay yi yi, former Speaker Pelosi called a princess in the debate? Not fair. We may disagree on policy, but she earned the Speaker title.”

It wasn’t the first time Cain used that insult. On his radio show in 2010, he mocked “Princess Nancy” for pushing through a “$26 billion bailout of teachers.” (Conservative talk show host Sean Hannity has also used the phrase; it isn’t Cain’s creation.)

But Cain, obviously, is on thinner ice since the sexual harassment allegations against him came to light, and calling the former House “princess” is not going to endear him to voters concerned about those accusations.

What's wrong with that boy ?

Seriously. That's what I thought. You could probably make a halfway-decent argument for just about any of them. That's part of why his answer was so pathetic.

I was stunned that not only did he basically refuse Romney's life raft of the EPA suggestion, once John Harwood smelled blood and asked Perry about what the third agency was, Perry willingly walked back into the framing of the question by once again counting one-by-one with "Education....Commerce....uh...."

Any half decent politician should know how to reframe a difficult question or at least throw up a cloud of bullshit pocket sand and escape. It's not that Perry happened to forget something once on live TV, it's that the accumulated weight of his public appearances suggests he has little talent for on the spot thinking.

The upside of a soulless automaton like Mitt Romney is that he seems competent enough to achieve his objectives.....assuming conservatives trust him enough to give him the keys to power. He wants the presidency bad enough to put in the rehearsal/prep time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom