GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
aw, shucks.

After much prayer and serious consideration, I have decided that I will not be seeking the 2012 GOP nomination for President of the United States. As always, my family comes first and obviously Todd and I put great consideration into family life before making this decision. When we serve, we devote ourselves to God, family and country. My decision maintains this order.

My decision is based upon a review of what common sense Conservatives and Independents have accomplished, especially over the last year. I believe that at this time I can be more effective in a decisive role to help elect other true public servants to office – from the nation’s governors to Congressional seats and the Presidency. We need to continue to actively and aggressively help those who will stop the “fundamental transformation” of our nation and instead seek the restoration of our greatness, our goodness and our constitutional republic based on the rule of law.

From the bottom of my heart I thank those who have supported me and defended my record throughout the years, and encouraged me to run for President. Know that by working together we can bring this country back – and as I’ve always said, one doesn’t need a title to help do it.

Read more: Gay Blog Towleroad: More than gay news | gay men.

so the GOP field is set, this order seems like a realistic outcome:

Romney
Perry
Cain
Paul
Gingrich
Bachmann
Santorum
Huntsman

In my opinion all preferable to the current occupant (Ron Paul just barely). But I'm still pulling for a deadlocked convention that drafts Mitch Daniels.

In my opinion all preferable to the current occupant
You laughably put Bachmann over Paul? :lol:

Side note: Sarah's not running, guys. Looks like the maverick dream is just going to be running out a downward career path of 50K speaker fees...poor Sarah! She was America's darling!

In my opinion all preferable to the current occupant (Ron Paul just barely). But I'm still pulling for a deadlocked convention that drafts Mitch Daniels.

you would honestly want these people:

Bachman
Cain
Santorum
Palin

to have the nuclear codes?

honestly?

*wondering if Mitt would be humble enough to be Herman's VP?

I do not understand how this man is becoming a favorite?

He's proven he knows jackshit about foreign policy.

He's proven he doesn't know the constitution.

He's proven he's a bigot.

Oh wait, I guess I just answered my own question.

Continue on...

Herman Cain ended his campaign the other day with this:

"Don't blame Wall Street, don't blame the big banks, if you don't have a job and you're not rich, blame yourself."

Every single ad about him should run with this. He should be asked about it 10 times a day, every single day.

Every single ad about him should run with this. He should be asked about it 10 times a day, every single day.

Compassionate conservative? I know nothing about his background but it must be nice to think you can make those kinds of judgments about people after you have it made. Yep it's that easy for everyone, especially these days. Last time I checked Wall Street got a bailout on the backs of taxpayers-not the other way around.

As for Palin, phew..dodged a bullet there. She'll be back though.

Is anyone here honestly surprised that she decided not to run?

Does she strike you as the kind of person who would actually want the responsibility of leading a nation? Especially when right now, with practically no responsibility whatsoever, she can command 5-6 figure speaking fees left and right?

Sarah Palin has never been in this for the betterment of her country. She's been in it for Sarah Palin.

EDIT- re: Cain saying to jobless "blame yourselves"

I edited my post because I didn't see that someone had mentioned it. Why isn't this a bigger deal than it is? This is HUGE.

Basically it's all over now. Romney is the nominee.

I think Rick Perry (and maybe others) will use that idiotic statement as a club to beat Cain up with in the next debate. There are many conservatives that are unemployed. You can insult gays and liberals and blah blah blah but that is one step too far. Cain is toast.

And because he is toast, it sets up the two-man dynamic again.
And Perry is increasingly seen as unelectable. And Romney...slick and flawlessly slippery.

Is anyone here honestly surprised that she decided not to run?

Does she strike you as the kind of person who would actually want the responsibility of leading a nation? Especially when right now, with practically no responsibility whatsoever, she can command 5-6 figure speaking fees left and right?

Sarah Palin has never been in this for the betterment of her country. She's been in it for Sarah Palin.

I agree with what you think she's all about (or not), but I thought she might still run simply because Brand Palin and it's earning ability might have done better out of running and failing than it will out of failing to run. She could have run and gone all Tea-guns blazing - no compromise - which would have seen her surely crash and burn, but handled correctly (seen to crash and burn wholly because of 'others' rather than her own superficial stupidity or the superficial stupidity of her positions), it could have seen her appeal with 'that' portion of people only strengthened, perhaps even to a new high, and thus, the $$$ keep on churning (and hey, it took Reagan - REAGAN! - a few goes). But... there is quite obviously a huge market for the repetitive churning of simpleton sloganeering from people who clearly don't have a clue to people who have even less of a clue, so you never know, the brand might continue to do just fine.

I'd say the truth is that she fell out of range some time ago. Tea Party backers like the Koch brothers probably let it be known that they actually have some very serious political goals, and that will require a win, so they'll be backing someone else, and months ago you could see Fox turn on her, and that's probably a good representation of where Big Money Corporate America/Wall Street were at. The final nail - I think the horrific debt ceiling wrangling killed that Tea Party crew in the eyes of Corporate America, at least in terms of gaining any office. The base and the ability to whip them up, that's a different story. The Tea Party movement or idea - it's base - will still get loads of support. If you're a huge insurance company you want to damage Obama as much as possible, and make your goals politically essential, and that base are fantastic for useful idiot rent-a-crowd, but then, just as a huge company (of any sort), you don't want to actually elect one of their leaders and see the whole thing go down in flames, so you have to delicately balance it. So you force someone like Romney into a corner via others, and then once he's in the right position, back him. The Palin's and Bachmann's and Perry's and Cain's - they walk into the room with great fanfare, in some way define the political position going forward, and are then quickly and quietly ushered out a back door before they can get too stuck into the punch. Not to be taken seriously.

Herman Cain's 2004 Campaign: 'Godless' Gays And Planned Parenthood Eugenics

WASHINGTON -- Herman Cain's widespread appeal, which has helped him ascend the ranks of the Republican primary field, stems in part from his ability to cast himself as the reluctant candidate. Cain is known as a successful businessman first and a motivational speaker and author second. He often tries to portray his run for the White House as an answer to the call of a unique time and challenges.

“I’m not a professional politician," he says. "I’m a professional problem solver."

But if Cain is not a professional politician, it's not entirely by choice. He ran for a Senate seat in Georgia in 2004 but lost in the Republican primary to current Sen. Johnny Isakson. That period of Cain's political life has gotten scant attention even as his White House bid has transformed from a quixotic quest to something more serious. That might be because the Cain who ran for Senate is a different type of candidate than the one running for the White House.

What stands out in particular is the extent to which the former Godfather's Pizza CEO used sharply conservative cultural issues to set himself apart from his fellow Republicans. An archived search of Cain's campaign website shows that he routinely attacked Isakson for wavering on abortion rights, chastising him in an early radio ad for voting "to allow abortions in our tax-funded military hospitals overseas." (The bill had simply allowed servicemen or women serving overseas to use personal funds on abortion.)

In an early television ad he introduced himself, first and foremost, as a believer of life from conception.

In an issue paper on his website, meanwhile, he said he would oppose abortion in the case of pregnancies resulting from rape or incest, as well as the use of tax dollars that "could encourage abortion as a 'solution' to problem pregnancies.

The website also featured a "Contract with Georgia," in which he listed ten priorities he would pursue upon entering office. Third on the list was "Protect life which begins at conception."

Beyond the confines of a carefully managed campaign website, Cain was even more outspoken. He told the Washington Post that he considers "plausible" a theory that the abortion rights group, Planned Parenthood, was established to systematically lower the black population.

"One of the motivations was killing black babies," he said, "because they didn't want to deal with the problems of illiteracy and poverty."

His campaign dealt with cultural issues beyond abortion as well. When a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage was offered in the state of Georgia, he jumped to applaud its passage.

"We have a war on our moral fiber," he said, according to a Chattanooga Times Free Press article on February 22, 2004. "We will not allow the godless few to destroy our moral foundation."

Even substantive political debates were passed through the prism of culture and race. Arguing that Social Security needed to be disbanded and replaced with 401(k) plans and Individual Retirement Accounts, Cain made the case that the entitlement program was inherently biased against African Americans.

"If that's going to be a transfer from me to white people," Cain said of his own payments into the Social Security trust fund, "can't I at least give it to white people I like?"

The extent to which Cain the presidential candidate would back off from any of these positions is unclear. His campaign didn't return an email request for comment. He has aired his suspicions about Planned Parenthood-linked eugenics more recently than 2004, but his position on gay marriage is a bit more vague now than it was back then.

What's noteworthy is the extent to which talk of race, abortion, or same-sex marriage rarely come up, either for Cain or any other Republican presidential candidate. A run for the Republican nomination for a Senate seat in Georgia is inherently different than a Republican presidential primary contest. But more than that, it's the current political and economic climate that is responsible for social issues taking a backseat. And for Cain, that climate has facilitated what's clearly been a beneficial evolution in his campaign narrative, allowing him to emphasize his business background rather than play the role of orthodox social conservative.

Beyond the confines of a carefully managed campaign website, Cain was even more outspoken. He told the Washington Post that he considers "plausible" a theory that the abortion rights group, Planned Parenthood, was established to systematically lower the black population.

All of a sudden the Tea Party rethinks their stance on abortion :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom