GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 2 - Page 28 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #541
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 28,170
Local Time: 04:45 AM
Michele Bachmann has spoken out and demanded an apology for the song played by the Roots, the "Late Night With Jimmy Fallon" house band, when she was introduced as a guest Monday night. Bachmann called the song, "Lyin' Ass Bitch" by Fishbone, sexist and a sign of Hollywood's bias.

She was unaware of the significance of the song's title at the time, she said, but was later angered to hear its meaning.

"I think the point is," she told Fox News's America's Newsroom, "if that had been Michelle Obama who had come out on the stage, and if that song had been played for Michelle Obama, I have no doubt that NBC would have apologized to her and likely they could have fired the drummer, at least suspended him, none of that happened from NBC and this is clearly a form of bias on the part of the Hollywood entertainment elite but it’s also I think it’s sexism as well."
__________________

MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 11-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #542
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,257
Local Time: 02:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
How is any different from what what Beck and Rush do on a daily basis?

Oh, I know the difference: Fallon had the decency to apologize. Am I missing something? Is it only indecent when it happens to someone on your side of the aisle?
Please. You're being silly. When have Rush or Glenn ever, in the very presence of someone gracious enough to come on their show, not-so-subtly but very cowardly implied they were a lying bitch?

And by the way- you're doing it too, now. You're bringing up a conservative when someone in here goes after a liberal- the very thing you harassed me for yesterday in the Fox News thread.

Fallon apologized on twitter. That's hardly good enough. Fallon didn't even have anything to do with it. The Roots need to apologize, as does NBC, not only to the public but directly to the congresswoman.

Why are you defending this? Would you be okay if that had been Hillary or Nancy?
__________________

2861U2 is offline  
Old 11-23-2011, 12:30 PM   #543
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 28,170
Local Time: 04:45 AM
I'm not defending them playing that song-even if "snark" is what they usually do (I never watch the show, can't stay up that late), I don't think it's appropriate to play it. Personally can't have a political double standard about that. But I don't think it matters that Rush or Beck say things like that about Michelle O or Hillary or anyone else when they aren't guests on their show. Guest or not, inappropriate all the same.
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 11-23-2011, 12:35 PM   #544
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Tiger Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Everglades
Posts: 4,740
Local Time: 04:45 AM
Fallon is hardly the spot for a political forum. It was a dumb move, but do they really need to apologize? They are held by no journalistic or political standards. People didn't apologize for burning Dixie Chicks CDs, nor did they need to. It was a personal opinion. It's pretty clear The Roots don't speak for NBC in any form or variant. They apparently don't even speak for Fallon either.

Why does no one demand apologies from SNL when they lampoon politicians on a weekly basis?
Tiger Edge is offline  
Old 11-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #545
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 03:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Please. You're being silly. When have Rush or Glenn ever, in the very presence of someone gracious enough to come on their show, not-so-subtly but very cowardly implied they were a lying bitch?
You and I both know that neither one of these people are brave enough or intelligent enough to bring someone on that opposed their view. It's why they hate the fairness doctrine. Now who's being silly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
And by the way- you're doing it too, now. You're bringing up a conservative when someone in here goes after a liberal- the very thing you harassed me for yesterday in the Fox News thread.
Apples and oranges. First of all, I don't know Fallon's leanings. Second of all the only reason I bring up Rush and Beck because it seems like the only way you can relate to things.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Why are you defending this? Would you be okay if that had been Hillary or Nancy?
I'm not defending this, honestly where do you get this? I just find it ironic that you get so self righteous about something fairly minor about this but defend worse actions by your talking heads.

BTW, we don't need to look much further than your own presidential candidate Cain to find this kind of name calling(and much more directly) towards Nancy.
BVS is offline  
Old 11-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #546
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,257
Local Time: 02:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Edge View Post
Fallon is hardly the spot for a political forum. It was a dumb move, but do they really need to apologize? They are held by no journalistic or political standards. People didn't apologize for burning Dixie Chicks CDs, nor did they need to. It was a personal opinion. It's pretty clear The Roots don't speak for NBC in any form or variant. They apparently don't even speak for Fallon either.

Why does no one demand apologies from SNL when they lampoon politicians on a weekly basis?
Regular citizens burning CDs aren't accountable to anyone. They can do whatever they want. Fallon has a responsibility to his sponsors, a responsibility to be a positive representation of his network, and a responsibility to treat his guests with at least some human decency or risk the backlash. That's what's happening now.

And there's a difference between "lampooning" someone on SNL and calling them vile names. Jon Huntsman was on last week- would it have been acceptable to call him to his face something terribly offensive? I don't care if it's masquerading as a comedy show, what The Roots pulled was pathetic. Tell her backstage that you don't like her policies. Don't be cowards and hide behind a song.
2861U2 is offline  
Old 11-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #547
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 19,218
Local Time: 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Newest PPP poll of Pennsylvania...why do Republicans hate Mittens?

Newt Gingrich: 32 (6)
Herman Cain: 15 (10)
Rick Santorum: 12 (14)
Mitt Romney: 12 (17)
Ron Paul: 9 (9)
Michele Bachmann: 5 (24)
Rick Perry: 3 (8)
Jon Huntsman: 3 (3)
Gary Johnson: 0 (-)
My state fucking blows.
PhilsFan is offline  
Old 11-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #548
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 19,218
Local Time: 04:45 AM
It was absolutely immature of the Roots to play that song since its title includes the word "bitch," and unfair to Fallon, who probably had no idea what was going on. But "terribly offensive"? Let's settle down. They called her a liar. Big deal. It should be noted that, yes, she is a liar, so it's not really offensive, so much as just a little on the nose.

And why do you care about his sponsors? That's up to them and him. He has no responsibility to you, or the public discourse. He's a late night comedian. His job is to make people laugh, no more and no less. If he fails to do that, then take issue with him. Don't take issue because his band didn't live up to the sponsors' wishes. Why would that even be on your radar?
PhilsFan is offline  
Old 11-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #549
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Tiger Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Everglades
Posts: 4,740
Local Time: 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Regular citizens burning CDs aren't accountable to anyone. They can do whatever they want. Fallon has a responsibility to his sponsors, a responsibility to be a positive representation of his network, and a responsibility to treat his guests with at least some human decency or risk the backlash. That's what's happening now.

And there's a difference between "lampooning" someone on SNL and calling them vile names. Jon Huntsman was on last week- would it have been acceptable to call him to his face something terribly offensive? I don't care if it's masquerading as a comedy show, what The Roots pulled was pathetic. Tell her backstage that you don't like her policies. Don't be cowards and hide behind a song.
It sounds like Fallon, nor his producers (who have the real responsibility to the sponsors, not the presenter of the show and most certainly not the band ) were not aware of what was happening, and we only have their word to go by. I'm sure the interview went by with pleasantries and politeness, but that doesn't make the news. In any case, he apologized.

Quote:
I don't care if it's masquerading as a comedy show
This is the weirdest comment of all. It IS a comedy show.
Tiger Edge is offline  
Old 11-23-2011, 01:38 PM   #550
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 19,218
Local Time: 04:45 AM
No, it's masquerading as one, because it's on NBC, and it's all CRAZY LIBERAL SHIT.
PhilsFan is offline  
Old 11-23-2011, 02:00 PM   #551
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Winterfell
Posts: 3,825
Local Time: 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
It's nothing short of disgusting that you approve of what happened. Why on earth are you proud of this? Are you just that indecent of a human being?
Didn't Rush just say that Michelle Obama got booed at a Nascar rally because she's too uppity? You know what kind of connotations that word carries? Why on earth haven't you condemned what he said? Are you just that indecent of a human being?
Steved1998 is offline  
Old 11-23-2011, 02:03 PM   #552
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Winterfell
Posts: 3,825
Local Time: 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Please. You're being silly. When have Rush or Glenn ever, in the very presence of someone gracious enough to come on their show, not-so-subtly but very cowardly implied they were a lying bitch?

And by the way- you're doing it too, now. You're bringing up a conservative when someone in here goes after a liberal- the very thing you harassed me for yesterday in the Fox News thread.

Fallon apologized on twitter. That's hardly good enough. Fallon didn't even have anything to do with it. The Roots need to apologize, as does NBC, not only to the public but directly to the congresswoman.

Why are you defending this? Would you be okay if that had been Hillary or Nancy?
No, Rush just all but calls the first lady of the United States a nigger when she's not on his show to defend herself.
Steved1998 is offline  
Old 11-23-2011, 03:30 PM   #553
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,601
Local Time: 12:45 AM
will this woman tweet an apology?

eyes open at the 14 second spot, (for you stoners)

deep is offline  
Old 11-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #554
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,892
Local Time: 03:45 AM
^. . .the hell?
maycocksean is offline  
Old 11-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #555
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
maycocksean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Most Important State in the Union
Posts: 4,892
Local Time: 03:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved1998 View Post
Didn't Rush just say that Michelle Obama got booed at a Nascar rally because she's too uppity? You know what kind of connotations that word carries? Why on earth haven't you condemned what he said? Are you just that indecent of a human being?
I was wondering the same thing.
maycocksean is offline  
Old 11-23-2011, 09:36 PM   #556
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
2861U2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: watching the Cubs
Posts: 4,257
Local Time: 02:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved1998 View Post
Didn't Rush just say that Michelle Obama got booed at a Nascar rally because she's too uppity? You know what kind of connotations that word carries? Why on earth haven't you condemned what he said? Are you just that indecent of a human being?
How cute, throwing my exact quotations back at me! You're so clever!

First of all, given the historical usage of that adjective, I would suggest everyone refrain from using it in reference to black people. However, unlike "nigger" or "bitch," it's a word that actually has a definition and can be used in applicable situations. Does "bitch" have some alternate meaning that I'm not aware of that perhaps The Roots were bestowing on the congresswoman?

Second, Rush would never be so vile in the presence of the Obamas. In fact, Rush has actually met the president once. Does anyone here think he was anything other than polite and gracious in their meeting? Maybe Questlove can give Rush a call and take a lesson on how to be decent in the presence of people you otherwise passionately dislike. That's a skill that will come in handy many, many times in life.

It's simply bizarre seeing how some of you are trying to desperately connect this argument back to Rush somehow, rather than just acknowledging the utter hatred and disrespect directed at Bachmann and moving on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved1998 View Post
No, Rush just all but calls the first lady of the United States a nigger
Just stop. No, better yet- I'll stop. There's no point trying to have an adult conversation with someone who says crap like this.
2861U2 is offline  
Old 11-23-2011, 10:36 PM   #557
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Tiger Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Everglades
Posts: 4,740
Local Time: 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
it's a word that actually has a definition and can be used in applicable situations.
So how was she being uppity at the NASCAR race?

Quote:
rather than just acknowledging the utter hatred and disrespect directed at Bachmann and moving on.
I don't recall anyone excusing The Roots (before you link me back to Canadiens' post, please be aware he's not involved in this debate). We just don't see why they have the civic duty of apologizing to the nation for their own opinion. You keep bouncing around about who besides The Roots should be ashamed. Fallon, NBC, the sponsors... none of them have anything to do with The Roots' song choice or their performance of such song.
What did NBC or the sponsors have to do with Sinead O'Connor ripping a photo of the pope in half?

Quote:
"I think the point is," she told Fox News's America's Newsroom, "if that had been Michelle Obama who had come out on the stage, and if that song had been played for Michelle Obama, I have no doubt that NBC would have apologized to her and likely they could have fired the drummer, at least suspended him, none of that happened from NBC and this is clearly a form of bias on the part of the Hollywood entertainment elite but it’s also I think it’s sexism as well."
If you're going to continue this Rush talk, let's take a look at the first comparison-queen in this whole business: Michelle Bachmann. What the fuck does Michelle Obama have to do with this? She's not a politician.
On top of it all, how come that uppity Michelle Obama didn't demand an apology from NASCAR for not controlling their fans? After all, those fans were heard loud and clear BOOING the First Lady on national television in an event sanctioned by NASCAR that most definitely had sponsors.

Anyway, she is a liar. So they got half of it right...
Tiger Edge is offline  
Old 11-23-2011, 10:43 PM   #558
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 41,232
Local Time: 03:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2

Second, Rush would never be so vile in the presence of the Obamas. In fact, Rush has actually met the president once. Does anyone here think he was anything other than polite and gracious in their meeting? Maybe Questlove can give Rush a call and take a lesson on how to be decent in the presence of people you otherwise passionately dislike. That's a skill that will come in handy many, many times in life.
Where I grew up this was called being two-faced.
BVS is offline  
Old 11-23-2011, 10:45 PM   #559
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Tiger Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Everglades
Posts: 4,740
Local Time: 04:45 AM
I was just about to make that point but I feel like I've taken more than enough points this evening.

I don't really see how it's better to be cordial and friendly with someone one minute and then hate them openly the moment they turn around. I'd rather have a knife in my chest than my back. At least I'll be able to assess the damage, not bump into stuff trying to take it out, the ability to apply pressure on the wound.

I lost the metaphor somewhere along the way.

The real lesson is to just not spew hatred out every day of your life. Instead of constantly complaining about the way things are and what other people believe in, be constructive and work for the benefit of your friends, family and community.
Tiger Edge is offline  
Old 11-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #560
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 28,170
Local Time: 04:45 AM
I love this

__________________

MrsSpringsteen is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×