GOP Nominee 2012 - Who Will It Be?, Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing wrong with a Muslim doctor, as long as they take a loyalty oath.

If they won't do that, they don't need to practice medicine in America.

What's the matter, afraid of doing a little hard labor for a modest wage as you work your way towards a respectable job?

The modern extension of adolescence well into adult life is equally dumb. Obamacare's provision that young adults remain eligible on their parents’ health coverage until age 26 being a prime example.

I'd gladly go with my own health coverage if you weren't so dead set on making education expensive. I'd prefer to wait until after I pay off my crippling college debt first.

the truth or whatever you want to call it
lies somewhere in between.

yes, adolescence is creeping up
it seems many want things and believe they are entitled to them without any thought of who is paying the costs of these things
the work ethic has seriously diminished,

allowing stay at home adult children to be on health insurance policies is not much of a burden, especially when they are required to buy in at 27 or pay a fine. that is just sound policy.

I'd gladly go with my own health coverage if you weren't so dead set on making education expensive. I'd prefer to wait until after I pay off my crippling college debt first.

that rings hollow everything I see you write it.

no one is making you take on these higher education costs, this is a chosen expense you, an adult, have freely chosen.
if you think your college costs are too high, than you should have gone somewhere that does not costs as much.

I've said from day one, this is why the Tea Party love him.
Heyyyy now, that's just a few bad apples, right?

no one is making you take on these higher education costs, this is a chosen expense you, an adult, have freely chosen.
if you think your college costs are too high, than you should have gone somewhere that does not costs as much.
Not to mention this is definitely not the best time to be investing tens of thousands of dollars in a journalism degree. :reject:

Do you consider CA's public universities as affordable today as when you were in college? Or do you have some sort of blanket objection to public funding of higher education, such that you don't care about the answer and are opposed to the existence of state universities in general.

PA does have a two-tier structure for its 4-years (Commonwealth system vs. State system), somewhat analogous to UC vs. CSU though not quite as full-fledged. Both the Commonwealth and State universities are more expensive than their CA counterparts though.

Last edited:
a journalism degree.

I am not going to make that judgement
a person is free to choose whatever course of study they desire

many are hired for decent paying jobs only because they have a degree

having a degree has considerable value over those that do not. In this economy it may mean the difference of even getting hired at a just above entry level job.

Do you consider CA's public universities as affordable today as when you were in college? Or do you have some sort of blanket objection to public funding of higher education, such that you don't care about the answer and are opposed to the existence of state universities in general.

PA does have a two-tier structure for its 4-years (Commonwealth system vs. State system), somewhat analogous to CSU vs. UC though not quite as full-fledged. Both the Commonwealth and State universities are more expensive than their CA counterparts though.

last time I checked CA was more expensive than PA
and it seems we are having to rethink many things that have been paid for by taxes, public employee pensions with health care are not sustainable at their current levels.
Our very liberal Dem Governor recently proposed a radical revamping of public employee compensations.

In CA they just bumped tuition another 9%, the students are not happy, there has been some occupying going on. Our state budget is still billions in the red.

So what I am thinking, is higher education costs will be one of the things that will be receiving even less public funding in the future.

The state must do K-12. The is not required to pay for higher education, am I wrong?

I am not opposed to some funding of higher ed, where it is possible. I just think there are many things ahead of it on the priority list.

There's a private and state college tuition bubble that will be collapsing in the US in the next decade. College-level degrees are a ticket to a better salary, but the value of non-STEM or pre-med/law degrees is less and less every year as everyone's dumb 22-year old daughter graduates with a Psychology bachelors she will never use to open a practice.

In the 1990s and 2000s, it was the American Dream (right) to own your own house with a ridiculous mortgage and home equity loan. You could argue we treat college level education in exactly the same manner right now.

last time I checked CA was more expensive than PA
and it seems we are having to rethink many things that have been paid for by taxes, public employee pensions with health care are not sustainable at their current levels.
I am not opposed to some funding of higher ed, where it is possible. I just think there are many things ahead of it on the priority list.
Penn State system (Commonwealth) base tuition 2011-12: $15,124 (fr & so), $16,352-$19,524 (jr & sr, depending on field)
UC system base tuition 2011-12: $13,200
PASSHE (PA State system) base tuition 2011-12: $6240
CSU system base tuition 2011-12: $5472

^ Those are taken from the respective schools' websites.

Couldn't comment on pensions for CA university employees (or PA ones for that matter) as I know nothing about those systems. Here we have TIAA-CREF (defined contribution) which is the norm for American universities nowadays.

Increasing Medicaid costs are the main reason why states have cut back funding for higher education over the last several decades (unlike higher ed, Medicaid spending draws federal matching funds).

While there are certainly better and worse ways to go about it, I don't see how higher education funding should be anything but a high priority for any developed country.

Asking me to try to predict my financials and the economy and how they would evolve from when I made my decision at the end of 2008 seems a bit unfair. I didn't know my father's job status would change. I didn't know how the economy would go. I didn't know how much expenses at this school would change.

I don't regret my decision, but I absolutely feel outside forces could have made things easier on me by doing the right thing instead of the wrong thing. This isn't a matter of "what's in it for me?" This is a matter of making education a larger priority in this state, instead of making drastic cuts simply to protect the sanctity of cronyism.

Not to mention this is definitely not the best time to be investing tens of thousands of dollars in a journalism degree. :reject:
It was journalism or business. I don't think I'd be able to live with myself if I had gone with business though. I like to think I can escape with a bit of integrity.

Geez I don't think he deserves to be "attacked" like that for aspiring to go to Penn State or for anything else. He seems like a hard working person to me who isn't looking for any sort of entitlement. Doesn't ring hollow to me, and I think that's unfair. So everyone should just find the cheapest school and just shut up about it.

I majored in sociology and it's done jack for me financially. I had professors who tried to get me to change my major and I didn't want to do it. I wouldn't trade my college degree for anything. My parents didn't go to college. Of course it's much easier for me to say because my education was much cheaper back then, in two private colleges. But there is value in education and the college experience and in doing what you want to do in college that goes far beyond dollar value. All outside economic factors aside. I sympathize with anyone who has educational aspirations and has to deal with the harsh financial realities.

I find it odd to pick on someone for choosing to get a good education, I mean isn't an affordable, good education something to aspire to for any civilised society? Choice seems to be inhibited when money becomes the main factor in educational decisions.

You choose to spend a bit more on education and therefore you can't afford your current health costs. You spend less on your education and you may end up not reaching your earning potential in order to afford good health care, and probably be a less happy individual because you feel like you've never achieved to your fullest extent because you couldn't afford the education you wanted.

It's swings and roundabouts.

I'll just add that in the US you guys seem to have a hell of a lot more to actually think about in life, i'd quickly lose track of how much and what I am meant to be paying for, healthcare costs, multiple different university fees and different scales (though we are somewhat getting that here now), no VAT added to your price tags. I am surprised you guys are not top of the world at math.

Nothing wrong with a Muslim doctor, as long as they take a loyalty oath.

If they won't do that, they don't need to practice medicine in America.

Yeah and then we can put them in camps in the desert because they could be terrorists!

In the "I guess Bono won't be a welcomed guest at the White House during a Ron Paul administration" dept:

Can the U.S. afford to spend billions to fight AIDS and malaria in Africa?

Ron Paul: "I think the aid is all worthless. It doesn't do any good for most of the people."

To which I heartily say, "Booooooooooooo!"

CNN National Security debate just ended.

Romney and Perry: A
Bachmann and Gingrich: B
Huntsman, Santorum, Cain: C
Paul: D

In the "I guess Bono won't be a welcomed guest at the White House during a Ron Paul administration" dept:

Can the U.S. afford to spend billions to fight AIDS and malaria in Africa?

Ron Paul: "I think the aid is all worthless. It doesn't do any good for most of the people."

To which I heartily say, "Booooooooooooo!"
The issue has always been whether the money goes to those who it's meant for, or to corrupts governments that change every five minutes. I usually think government aid to Africa comes down to the latter.

I do support organizations like the Gates Foundation, though.

I think it's sad we have to resort to a rich guy who is not a complete asshole to fix our problems for us, as well.

Oh, lawdy:

BACHMANN: "Almost every decision that the president has made since he came in has been one to put the United States in a position of unilateral disarmament [source: AP]

She's like a more batshit crazy version of Pelosi, without the backroom charm.

^How was taking out Bin Laden, assisting in Libya, continuing the war in Afghanistan unilateral disarmament?

Seeking to quell growing criticism and public attention, "Late Night" host Jimmy Fallon has apologized for his house band's understated musical attack on Rep. Michele Bachmann on Monday night.

"I'm honored that @michelebachmann was on our show yesterday and I'm so sorry about the intro mess. I really hope she comes back," Fallon wrote on Twitter Tuesday night.

When Bachmann, who appeared as a guest on Fallon's show, walked across the stage to take her seat next to the host's desk, The Roots played the opening of a song by Fishbone called "Lyin' Ass Bitch."

While the audience only heard a "la la" refrain, the message was sent. Before the show, the band's drummer, Questlove tweeted, "aight late night walkon song devotees: you love it when we snark: this next one takes the cake. ask around cause i aint tweeting title."

Earlier on Tuesday, Fallon tweeted, "@questlove is grounded."

Seeking to quell growing criticism and public attention, "Late Night" host Jimmy Fallon has apologized for his house band's understated musical attack on Rep. Michele Bachmann on Monday night.

"I'm honored that @michelebachmann was on our show yesterday and I'm so sorry about the intro mess. I really hope she comes back," Fallon wrote on Twitter Tuesday night.

When Bachmann, who appeared as a guest on Fallon's show, walked across the stage to take her seat next to the host's desk, The Roots played the opening of a song by Fishbone called "Lyin' Ass Bitch."

While the audience only heard a "la la" refrain, the message was sent. Before the show, the band's drummer, Questlove tweeted, "aight late night walkon song devotees: you love it when we snark: this next one takes the cake. ask around cause i aint tweeting title."

Earlier on Tuesday, Fallon tweeted, "@questlove is grounded."
That's brilliant :love:

Newest PPP poll of Pennsylvania...why do Republicans hate Mittens?

Newt Gingrich: 32 (6)
Herman Cain: 15 (10)
Rick Santorum: 12 (14)
Mitt Romney: 12 (17)
Ron Paul: 9 (9)
Michele Bachmann: 5 (24)
Rick Perry: 3 (8)
Jon Huntsman: 3 (3)
Gary Johnson: 0 (-)

2861U2 said:
It's nothing short of disgusting that you approve of what happened. Why on earth are you proud of this? Are you just that indecent of a human being?

How is any different from what what Beck and Rush do on a daily basis?

Oh, I know the difference: Fallon had the decency to apologize. Am I missing something? Is it only indecent when it happens to someone on your side of the aisle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom