GOP Nominee 2012 - who will it be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not claiming they're not the greatest links or the most unbiased.

Just showing that there are indeed actual reasons why people might think that the Republican party hates women.

It's even worse to say it was in NH :wink: It's a short drive to Lexington and Concord from Nashua, she should have made it. Beautiful places, great to walk around and see all the history. And of course there's always Google.

By Holly Ramer
Associated Press / March 13, 2011

NASHUA, N.H.—U.S. Rep. Michele Bachmann of Minnesota stood before New Hampshire Republicans with a tea bag clutched in her hand Saturday, but her grasp on Revolutionary War geography wasn't quite as tight.

Before headlining a GOP fundraiser, the possible presidential hopeful told a group of students and conservative activists in Manchester, "You're the state where the shot was heard around the world in Lexington and Concord."

But those first shots of the Revolutionary War were fired in Massachusetts, not New Hampshire.

"So I misplaced the battles Concord and Lexington by saying they were in New Hampshire," Bachmann posted on her Facebook page later. "It was my mistake, Massachusetts is where they happened. New Hampshire is where they are still proud of it. "

Though Bachmann probably wasn't the first to confuse Concord, N.H., with Concord, Mass., her mistake was striking given her roots in the tea party movement, which takes its name from the dumping of tea into Boston Harbor by angry American colonists in December 1773, 16 months before the Battle of Lexington Green.

Some 30 miles to the north and with tea bag in hand, Bachmann was greeted with applause when she asked the crowd, "How about a United States president that gets what the American people want in 2012?" and later proclaimed, "Are you in for 2012? I'm in!"

She later clarified that she is committed to denying President Barack Obama a second term, not necessarily running herself. That decision will come by early summer, she said, adding that she was no closer to making it Saturday than she was before her first political trip to New Hampshire.

For the state that holds the earliest presidential primary, it was another day, another Minnesota politician with possible White House aspirations. Bachmann's trip overlapped one day with former Gov. Tim Pawlenty's latest visit, offering voters a glimpse of their contrasting styles.

Pawlenty, a former two-term governor, has taken a more traditional path to exploring a White House bid: traveling to key states, spreading money to potential allies through his political action committee and publishing a memoir as he left office. On Friday, he brushed off reporters' attempts to get him to criticize fellow Republican Mitt Romney on health care, and in remarks at a New Hampshire hospital, offered subdued criticism of Obama's national health care law saying "I know the country just had a huge debate about all of this, and my side lost, at least for now. But I hope we can have a continued discussion."

To be sure, Pawlenty faced a roomful of skeptical physicians in one of the most liberal corners of the state, while Bachmann spoke before an enthusiastic, conservative crowd that included tea party groups from New Hampshire and Massachusetts. She called Obama's health care overhaul the "ultimate example of arrogance."

"The real problem is the arrogant elites in Washington, D.C., who think they know how to run your lives far better than you," she said. "You can't be trusted to run your lives, they have to run your lives for you."

She said the bill included $105 billion in spending that Obama and Democrat leaders intentionally hid.

"Did he just forget to mention that, oh, by the way, we've got $105 billion in this bill that we're going to implement socialized medicine? No, this was intentional.

"It needed to be implemented immediately to get its tentacles all through your lives and our government and our institutions so that no matter who was elected in the future, your franchise, your vote would be neutralized. Because they would get their way."

Bachmann, who only recently has begun traveling to early nominating states, rose through the Minnesota ranks on social issues and is a favorite of the tea party in Congress, where she is in her third term. A formidable fundraiser, she's also built a national following through her blunt commentary on cable news shows.

Her speech was briefly interrupted by protesters who had been allowed in the room after portraying themselves as civic-minded college students who wanted to hear Bachmann. Less than half an hour after they were publicly welcomed by the event organizers, they marched across the conference room, holding signs and chanting "Michele Bachmann we insist, end the AIDS treatment waiting list."

The protest was an apparent reference to the state- and federally-funded AIDS Drug Assistance Program. Many cash-strapped states have taken steps to cap enrollment, drop patients or institute waiting lists. Bachmann thanked them for the "love," as they were quickly ushered out.

"We're seeing this kind of response because the left knows we're coming and we're serious about 2012," she said.

charlie-sheen-DUH3.jpg

Please post some facts to back your statement.

the Republican Party doesn't believe a woman should have the right to choose whether or not to have an abortion, and they support abstinence-based sex education that results in teenage females getting pregnant sooner and not having the knowledge to protect themselves from STDs. further, since you were the one that pointed out that 75% of children born out of wedlock were poor, you'd think that universal health care would be the best thing for these women as it would enable them to take care of themselves and their children, and perhaps prevent them from any more unwanted pregnancies. Republicans don't like this.

no matter which way you look at it, Republicans support policies that hurt women.

I expect that the more intelligent and reasonable Republican candidates (such as they may be) will sit out in 2012.

Which really does mean that the primaries are going to be A-MAZING.

I expect that the more intelligent and reasonable Republican candidates (such as they may be) will sit out in 2012.

Which really does mean that the primaries are going to be A-MAZING.
Michelle is revving up the dumb machine as I type this, I expect.

Public Policy Polling: Palin trails Sheen with independents

We've found a lot of brutal poll numbers for Sarah Palin so far in 2011: down in South Dakota, down in South Carolina, down in Arizona, only up by 1 point in Texas, only up by 1 point in Nebraska to name a few. But this has to be the worst- independent voters say they would support Charlie Sheen over Palin for President by a 41/36 margin. Seriously.

Despite her deficit with independents Palin does lead Sheen 49-29 overall. We also tested Barack Obama against Sheen and the President leads 57-24.

Sheen is one of the most unpopular figures we've ever polled on. 10% of Americans rate him favorably to 67% with a negative opinion of him. The only people we've ever found worse numbers for are Rod Blagojevich in Illinois (an 8/83 favorability spread), Jesse Jackson Jr. in Illinois (a 10/73 favorability), and Levi Johnston in Alaska (a 6/72 favorability). Sheen's -57 spread ties what we found for John Edwards in North Carolina the last time we polled him (15/72).

Sheen's unpopularity is pretty universal across party lines so it says something about the level of polarization in the country right now that Democrats would support him by a 44-24 margin for President over Palin and that Republicans would support him 37-28 over Obama. People may not have any respect for Sheen but they still think he'd be a better alternative than their opposing party's leading figure.

Obviously Charlie Sheen's not going to run for the White House but the Palin numbers are one of the more interesting benchmarks yet pointing to just how minuscule her chance at the Presidency would be even if she did decide to get into the race.

A new survey released by Public Policy Polling suggests self-described regular Fox News viewers favor former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee over other big Republican names believed to be mulling presidential campaigns for the next election cycle.

PPP relays the numbers on who's up and who's down in the eyes of the Fox News community:

Among the most likely Republican Presidential candidates Mike Huckabee leads the way with a +19 favorability spread at 45/26. He's followed by Sarah Palin at +16 (53/37), Mitt Romney at +4 (40/36), and Newt Gingrich at +2 (41/39).

Findings from a Gallup poll released earlier this month suggest Huckabee is the preferred potential candidate among Fox News viewers to run as the GOP nominee against President Barack Obama in the next election cycle. Politics Daily reported at the time:

The winner of the Fox "presidential primary" is Huckabee who tops the list for regular Fox viewers at 18 percent, followed by Mitt Romney at 17 percent, Palin at 13 percent and Gingrich at 13 percent. Santorum was way back at 3 percent, according to the poll conducted Feb. 18-20. The margin of error is 3 points so no one in the top four is too far apart when it comes to viewer support. Gallup defined regular viewers as those who tune in four to five times a week.

In an intriguing twist, the survey from PPP suggests Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker polls ahead of the usual suspects with a +30 favorability spread among Fox News viewers despite the fact that he is not currently believed to be mounting a campaign for the White House in 2012.

Isn't PPP supposed to be a serious polling firm?
Yeah, but I think even serious polling firms have PR and marketing departments full of ass-hats who occasionally want the organization to churn out a puff piece to get its name in the news cycle.

Yeah, that must be it. Um-if we had even more people competing for the fewer jobs..how exactly would that work?

By HOLLY RAMER, Associated Press

CONCORD, N.H. – In his latest trip to New Hampshire, Republican Rick Santorum says the Social Security system would be in much better shape if there were fewer abortions.

The former Pennsylvania senator and potential presidential candidate was asked about Social Security during an interview on WESZ-AM radio in Laconia on Tuesday morning.

He says the system has design flaws, but the reason it is in big trouble is that there aren't enough workers to support retirees. He blamed that on what he called the nation's abortion culture. He says that culture, coupled with policies that do not support families, deny America what it needs — more people.

Santorum has been a frequent visitor to New Hampshire, which holds the earliest presidential primary.

'Contraception culture' would be more like it, but of course he can't say that. Anyway, replicating the Baby Boom for perpetuity is hardly a sustainable solution.

'Contraception culture' would be more like it, but of course he can't say that. Anyway, replicating the Baby Boom for perpetuity is hardly a sustainable solution.

I love how many people in Europe and the U.S. have talked about that as a credible solution to the impending Social Security/Medicare crisis.

:doh:

Politico, Mar. 28
"I have two grandchildren—Maggie is 11, Robert is 9," Gingrich said [Sunday] at Cornerstone Church [in San Antonio]. "I am convinced that if we do not decisively win the struggle over the nature of America, by the time they're my age they will be in a secular atheist country, potentially one dominated by radical Islamists and with no understanding of what it once meant to be an American."

WTF does that even mean?

Will the intelligent conservative please stand up?

You have Trump the birther who has the same exact bc is Barack.

You have Palin :crack:

Hackabee the liar...

And Romney the one that "invented" Obamacare.

Where is the respect for intelligence, education or even facts in this party?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom