GOP Nominee 2012 - who will it be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Daniels OKs bonuses up to $1,000

INDIANAPOLIS | State employees will be paid a bonus of up to $1,000 each for their efforts in helping Indiana amass a $1.2 billion budget surplus.

Gov. Mitch Daniels authorized the one-time payment Friday to recognize employees he said have spent years doing more with less.

"There's not a state in the nation where state employees are more committed to efficiency and care with tax dollars than Indiana," Daniels said.

The "efficiency dividend payment" will be awarded based on each employee's quality assessment on his or her annual evaluation, with workers rated as "meets expectations" receiving $500, "exceeds" $750 and "outstanding" $1,000.

Daniels said about 90 percent of the 24,000 executive branch employees will receive a bonus. Indiana has 28,069 total employees

The bonus payment will cost the state approximately $20 million, but the Republican governor said that's just a fraction of the funds state employees have saved Indiana.

"I just can't tell you how proud I think every citizen should be of what this highly efficient, hardworking group of public servants has been doing the last few years and especially during the very difficult days of the last two years," Daniels said.

State Auditor Tim Berry reported Thursday that Indiana ended its 2011 budget year on June 30 with $1.2 billion in the bank.

How many states can make that claim? Sure could use a little of this in D.C.

D.C. has its head way too far up its own ass.

That said, you might want to check in with this chap as to why his party is too busy trying to stonewall and un-elect Obama in 2012 to bother working out substantial spending cuts rather than going after small-time social programs.

Simple plan, Indy: Continue to add weight to the sunk economy under B.O., blame it on him, pin all 2012 hopes on Mittens. Crazy enough to work, I wonder......

I am not hetero-sexual, but I would love to council young wayward promiscuous girls, 18 years old and up of course. I could hug, and comfort and offer them accommodations and listen to them talk about their sexual desires. Just the decent (Christian)* thing to do. :angel:

:lmao:

I don't know why but I couldn't stop laughing at this. . .

Herman Cain's stock continues to drop. Not a good appearance with Chris Wallace this morning.

The rest of us have already known this for months... He knows fast food, and that's about it.

Always at least two steps behind. This must be part of the Tea Party motto...

Irvine511 said:
i am gay and my gaydar went PING! or, rather, HAAA-AAAY!

but, in all seriousness, "gaydar" is a kind of subtle thing, and it's not about effeminacy.

it should also come to no surprise that the strongest proponents of the "ex-gay" movement are the ones who most desperately need wish for it to be true.

Butters, where's your accountabilibuddy?

that's the GOP plan:

nihilism. :up:

let the people suffer. it works for us politically.

No, they're doing their job for once.

Opposition (politics)From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search

Stand in Opposition

In politics, the opposition comprises one or more political parties or other organized groups that are opposed to the government, party or group in political control of a city, region, state or country. The degree of opposition varies according to political conditions - for example, across authoritarian and liberal systems where opposition may be repressed or welcomed.

PA would have this if the GOP would allow us to tax natural gas.

Gov. Mitch Daniels authorized the one-time payment Friday to recognize employees he said have spent years doing more with less.

"There's not a state in the nation where state employees are more committed to efficiency and care with tax dollars than Indiana," Daniels said.

Government "doing more with less," not tax increases, gave Indiana its budget surplus.

In PA, the GOP believes "more with less" to be "let's put the burden on middle class families with college students, and, oh yeah, while we're at it, let's make our public education system much shittier." I can't speak for how Indiana's GOP views it.

Also, I don't mean tax increases, I mean just having a tax on it at all.

PA gives its education system way less support financially than most states in the country, especially higher education.

As a former resident of Indiana - I thought Daniels was a great moderate governor. I appreciated his attempts at privatizing public services even if they did not all work out.

Is that like making out during Schindler's List? :wink:

The weekend after the final installment of the Harry Potter films premiered, select theaters around the US debuted Sarah Palin's full length documentary 'The Undefeated' to a nearly empty audience, reports The Atlantic.

As the publication's Conor Friedersdorf found out, a viewing of the film in Orange County, CA included himself, two women (who lasted 20 minutes), and a brief visit from a couple with intentions not pertaining to Palin at all.

"Shortly before the end of the film, a young couple entered, walked to the back row, started making out, then interrupted their session and left (spoiler alert) as Andrew Breitbart, who made one of several guest appearances, started talking about eunuchs. Then I was alone again, working. Instead of researching civil liberties violations, or the war in Libya, or the contest to elect the next president of the United States, I was both a journalist and the only member of the public willfully paying attention to Sarah Palin, as if standing in for the pathologies of my profession."

An article from TIME magazine summarizes the failure succinctly.

"The Undefeated is proving an ironic title choice."

So far the film has received zero user reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.

To make matters even worse for Palin, John Wilson, president and founder of the Razzie Awards, told the LA Times in an interview about his interest in the documentary.

"She's the political equivalent of what the Razzies are all about," he said. "And she's hysterically funny if you don't stop and think, 'Oh, my God, she could've been vice president!'"

Palin attempted to squash rumors of her family's discontent over the movie's shortcomings.

"The UK Daily Mail reports that I was 'in tears' as Todd 'rages over Hollywood stars ripping' me in the new film 'The Undefeated,'" she wrote on her Facebook. "Huh? Really?"

Huffington Post

Herman Cain said Sunday that Americans should be able to ban Muslims from building mosques in their communities.

"Our Constitution guarantees the separation of church and state," Cain said in an interview with Chris Wallace on “Fox News Sunday.” "Islam combines church and state. They're using the church part of our First Amendment to infuse their morals in that community, and the people of that community do not like it. They disagree with it."

Last week, the Republican presidential candidate expressed criticism of a planned mosque in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, telling reporters at a campaign event that "This is just another way to try to gradually sneak Sharia law into our laws, and I absolutely object to that."

“This isn't an innocent mosque," Cain said.

On “Fox News Sunday,” Wallace pressed him about those comments.

"Let's go back to the fundamental issue," Cain said. "Islam is both a religion and a set of laws -- Sharia laws. That's the difference between any one of our traditional religions where it's just about religious purposes."

"So, you're saying that any community, if they want to ban a mosque..." Wallace began.

"Yes, they have the right to do that," Cain said.

Cain has made a number of controversial comments about Muslims, including a vow to be cautious about allowing a Muslim to serve in his administration.

On Sunday, Cain defended his position, telling Wallace that it's not discrimination.

"Aren't you willing to restrict people because of their religion?" Wallace asked.

"I'm willing to take a harder look at people who might be terrorists, that's what I'm saying," Cain replied. "Look, I know that there's a peaceful group of Muslims in this country. God bless them and they're free to worship. If you look at my career I have never discriminated against anybody, because of their religion, sex or origin or anything like that."

"I'm simply saying I owe it to the American people to be cautious because terrorists are trying to kill us," Cain said, "so yes I'm going to err on the side of caution rather than on the side of carelessness."

:hyper:

gawker.com

Jeff Neumann —Sarah Palin Biopic Headed to On-Demand

The feature-length movie about Sarah Palin by Sarah Palin released just 10 days ago, The Undefeated, is headed to the small screen soon. According to ARC Entertainment, "beginning on September 1st the film will be available to 75 million homes" for a fee, of course. The producer adds via press release:

"This title is absolutely perfect for Video-on-Demand and Pay-Per-View backed by a traditional and significant marketing campaign. We are incredibly excited about having this film made available to the entire country earlier than expected," said Glenn Bracken Evans, the film's producer. "A traditional windowed release would not have allowed us to maximize viewership of this highly sought after film," continued Evans.

In other words, no one gave a shit about this in theaters so we're quickly moving on to plan b and we're just so excited! Nothing says "undefeated" like a rush to pay-per-view.

Somebody make it go away

CNBC

Real estate mogul Donald Trump said Friday he'd consider running for president — again — if the U.S. economy "continues to be bad: and "if the Republicans pick the wrong candidate."

"I would give it very, very serious thought," he told CNBC. "There are so many people wanting me to do it."

The Trump Organization president did not say on which party line he'd run if he didn't like the Republican candidate.

But he said congressional Republicans have a great opportunity to "negotiate a great, great deal, but they can’t be weak." He said that any deal to raise the debt ceiling by the Aug. 2 deadline should involve cutting considerable government waste, including repealing the Obama health-care law, which he called "a disaster."

What he doesn't want is a default, he said.

"I don’t advocate default," not what you said on Fox he said. "What I do say is you can’t be afraid [of a default]. This is the time to settle the problems of years and years of abuse. This is the time for the Republicans to get the country back on track. The Republicans have the cards, the president does not have the cards."

As he did when he considered a presidential run earlier this year, Trump blamed a lot of the problems in the U.S. economy on "foolish leaders" who allow other countries — principally China and the members of OPEC — to steal jobs and keep the U.S. over an expensive oil barrel.

"People don’t respect us any longer, they don’t respect our leaders. With all these foreign countries taking advantage of the U.S., unless somebody addresses that problem we’re never going to be great again," Trump said.

He also railed against overregulation and federal bureaucrats who, he claims, are "sitting around doing nothing. It's just like featherbedding...It's absolutely sinful."

Trump added, "you have to cut, cut, cut. I see the waste. I do a lot of business with the government and it’s not fun."

Mitt is very good at pandering

Opens the door to higher taxes? How? I haven't heard that at all.

He's so good at creating jobs so I'm sure that will be his number 1 priority :rolleyes: Just like the Tea Party.

HOUSTON (AP) — Though not yet a declared candidate, Texas Gov. Rick Perry is putting his faith under the national spotlight as a White House prospect with an important conservative constituency all to himself.

He's addressing a daylong prayer rally Saturday that he has spearheaded while weighing a campaign for the 2012 GOP presidential nomination.

Perry says the event is not political but rather aimed at rallying the nation to a Christian unity during difficult times, but he will be reaching thousands of religious conservatives, many of whom vote in Republican primaries, especially in early voting states Iowa and South Carolina.

More than 8,000 evangelical Christians, most from Texas, had registered as of Friday to attend the event at Reliant Stadium, which seats 71,500 and was the site of the 2004 Super Bowl. Organizers said they expected thousands more than that to show up.

Perry's midday speech will reach thousands of social-values conservatives, but he's not expected to take questions from reporters covering the religious rally.

"The questions are all going to be political, and that would just take away from the event," Perry spokesman Mark Miner said.

More than 1,000 churches around the country plan to stream the seven-hour event on the Internet.

"With the economy in trouble, communities in crisis and people adrift in a sea of moral relativism, we need God's help," Perry said in a June video when he announced the event, which is being called The Response USA. "That's' why I'm calling on Americans to pray and fast, like Jesus did and as God called the Israelites to do in the book of Joel."

The rally is financed by The American Family Association, a Tupelo, Miss.-based group that opposes abortion and gay rights and believes that the First Amendment freedom of religion applies only to Christians.

Although Perry invited all the nation's governors, members of Congress and the Obama administration, it was not clear whether any top elected officials besides Perry would attend. Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback had said he would attend, although event organizers said Friday it was unclear whether the Republican governor would be there.

Perry, who has said he is considering a presidential run in part out of a religious calling, is expected to announce his plans sometime after Saturday's event. He plans to travel to South Carolina the following Saturday, when several of the declared Republican candidates for president will be in Ames, Iowa, for that state's presidential straw poll, a closely watched test of campaign strength in the leadoff caucus state.

Some Republican strategists have said Perry would be better off to identify himself as a fiscal conservative, touting Texas' recent job gains, as he approaches a decision that could shake up the race. Nodding to evangelical voters before entering the race could send the signal he's not the pro-business conservative some activists have said is lacking in the 2012 GOP field.

"He doesn't need to bow to the Christian right because he already has his bona fides there," said Iowa Republican Doug Gross, who was a top backer of former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney's 2008 campaign but has been cool to support him again.

And it's not clear that the event will even help Perry with Christian voters.

Pastor Cary Gordon of Sioux City's Cornerstone World Outreach church said his church will likely webcast the event, although Gordon, an influential GOP activist in Iowa, does not plan to support Perry.

Gordon said he objects to Perry's comments, in light of New York's legalization of gay marriage in June, that the state had the right to enact such measures.

"All of our rights come from God," Gordon said. "Rick Perry becomes the poster child for the problem because he is suggesting men grant men rights."

^ this kind of thing strikes me as batshit insane, and just a half-step away from Iran.

When it comes to being "a half-step away" from the mullahs of Iran, I think you have the governor of Texas confused with that 'Lil ol Band from Texas.

billy_gibbons_4Esdb.jpg

If he does intend to run, he's taking a big political risk drawing such a high-profile association between himself and evangelical conservatives. It's possible that he might imminently announce his candidacy then proceed to spend the rest of campaign season focusing almost exclusively on fiscal conservatism. But at the moment, this kind of grandstanding religiosity seems like a surprisingly pigeonholing move on his part.

But at the moment, this kind of grandstanding religiosity seems like a surprisingly pigeonholing move on his part.

it might be the only way to beat Romney. he's going to go for the Palin/Bachman base and then make an appeal for credibility on fiscal issues and possibly use his excessive (but, for the GOP, *correct*) religiosity to define himself against a Mormon.

Great, more reasons to anticipate a Culture Wars campaign season long on jingoistic bullshit and short on policy debates (yes INDY, I mean from both sides).

For now I still doubt Perry's draw with establishment GOP and independents, though. He just seems kinda small-time somehow. But we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom