GOP Nominee 2012 - who will it be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Calm down Rush-next week Mitt could say the earth is getting colder and humans have nothing to do with it. Depends upon the poll numbers :wink: I don't think Rush understands climate change.

Huffington Post

Last week, Mitt Romney rolled out his formal announcement about his presidential ambitions and was met with a torrent of criticism from fellow candidates, other non-candidates, outside groups, and failed Senate candidate Joe Miller, for some reason. For the most part, the internecine opposition has focused on the fact that Mitt Romney invented "Obamacare" in Massachusetts. But Romney's enjoying a break from all of that this week. Now everyone is mad at him for his position on climate change!

And what is that position? Well, it's pretty prosaic:

ROMNEY: "I believe the world is getting warmer, and I believe that humans have contributed to that," he told a crowd of about 200 at a town hall meeting in Manchester, New Hampshire.

"It's important for us to reduce our emissions of pollutants and greenhouse gases that may be significant contributors."

Romney also said some rather ordinary things about energy efficiency:

ROMNEY: I also want to see us become more energy efficient. I’m told that we use almost twice as much energy per person as does a European, and more like three times as much as does a Japanese citizen. We could do a lot better. I’d like to see our vehicles, and our homes, and our systems of insulation and so forth become far more efficient. I believe that we have a role in trying to encourage that to happen.

As Mother Jones' Kate Sheppard points out, back in 2008, it was pretty ho-hum to hear a GOP candidate say stuff like this, but now, "conservatives have declared Romney's statement to be 'political suicide.'" Today's Washington Post contains much the same message:

So far, Romney’s reviews from the right are not positive. His views about climate change in particular put him at odds with many in his party’s base.

“Bye-bye, nomination,” Rush Limbaugh said Tuesday on his radio talk show after playing a clip of Romney’s climate remark. “Another one down. We’re in the midst here of discovering that this is all a hoax. The last year has established that the whole premise of man-made global warming is a hoax, and we still have presidential candidates that want to buy into it.”

Then came the Club for Growth, which issued a white paper criticizing Romney. “Governor Romney’s regulatory record as governor contains some flaws,” the report said, “including a significant one — his support of ‘global warming’ policies.”

I am not going to be too proud of my state and who they choose as the top candidate.....Iowa used to be a pretty liberal state, but seems more and more we're turning into a Southern state in regards to social issues.

We elect a former Gov, and a majority of R's back to the state to try and fix the economy and all we talk about is gay marriage and guns.

I just don't understand why homosexuality is so fucking important when thousands of people don't have jobs. But it's this way on our nation's capital as well. Cut spending for programs that can help the poor, elderly, and minorities.....promote the Bible!

It must be something in the water because that is identical to MN.

(save having Dem. Gov. though, praise be)

ROMNEY: I also want to see us become more energy efficient. I’m told that we use almost twice as much energy per person as does a European, and more like three times as much as does a Japanese citizen. We could do a lot better.

oh.

my.

GOD.

Angry%20Mob%20Simpsons.jpg

Well, that's only because all of Europe is living under Sharia Law and their freedoms - things like incandescent light bulbs - have been taken away from them by Muslims. Right?

I caught some of Romney on Piers Morgan - CNN

and he seemed pretty reasonable, I can see him getting a good share of independents. and the GOP will galvanize for anyone but Obama.

i think, as of right now, Romney is their best general election candidate. and i would be okay with that. he's not a lunatic like Palin or a manchild like Bush. he's an oil slick, sure, but there are worse things.

but it's getting through the primaries. and, gurrrl, Palin is going to go after himmmm ....

The most important phrase there is "as of right now." Let's not forget how the presidential campaign irrevocably changed John McCain.

join the team to find dirt on Palin

Over 24,000 e-mail messages to and from former Alaska governor Sarah Palin during her tenure as Alaska's governor will be released Friday. That's a lot of e-mail for us to review so we're looking for some help from Fix readers to analyze, contextualize, and research those e-mails right alongside Post reporters over the days following the release.

Help analyze the Palin e-mails - The Fix - The Washington Post

It'll be Rick Perry

Other names not mentioned yet, don't forget to consider Tim Pawlenty, Bobby Jindal and Jeb Bush.

After I made the mistake of predicting the candidate way too early and daily study of political landscape I have now come to the conclusion that you are right on the money here! If Perry decides to run he will be the nominee. This guy fits the "next Ronald Reagan" mantle that Republicans are so desperate for perfectly...and he's NOT Mormon!!!

Good. Then we can have weekly national prayers for Jesus to fix our economy rather than any real person(s) try.

After I made the mistake of predicting the candidate way too early and daily study of political landscape I have now come to the conclusion that you are right on the money here! If Perry decides to run he will be the nominee. This guy fits the "next Ronald Reagan" mantle that Republicans are so desperate for perfectly...and he's NOT Mormon!!!

Will someone who actually spoke about secession be excepted by the GOP as a whole?

Will someone who spoke out against the stimulus and then turned around and used it to balance the state's budget be embraced by conservatives?

Will someone who signed a law that middle school girls get a controversial vaccine get supported by the sciene denying right?

We shall see :shrug:

They will endorse his record on highest polluting state in the US. They probably like the fact that he more than likely executed an innocent man and then stepped in to stop the investigation. And he still supports anti-soddomy laws so he's got a lot of votes there...

go for it, Rick Perry.

just what the Republicans need for the general election -- someone who can charitably be described as "regional."

Good. Then we can have weekly national prayers for Jesus to fix our economy rather than any real person(s) try.
Do you think that praying people say "Lord, get us out of this mess while we sit back and do nothing?"

That's not how prayer works. We pray that the Lord gives us the wisdom to know how to handle things. If you were a believer, would you turn to God for wisdom, or would you try to do it on your own?

I would rather see Mittens take the nomination over anyone else....though Ron Paul would probably be more interesting and maybe a little more thought provoking.

I just hope he doesn't have to turn to the dark side in order to win.

i didn't watch the debate, but the general consensus (read: what i've read on the blogs and in write-ups) seems to be that, much like McCain, he's the only serious general election candidate and the rest are a circus sideshow.

at this point in 2007, i was hopeful that the GOP would nominate McCain and we'd have a serious, adult conversation in 2008.

and those hopes were dashed.

i do think, however, that the GOP has moved to a point where they may not hold a person's religion against him. which is progress for these people. so that's good i suppose.

I'm hopeful that some point in my lifetime (I'm 32 later this year) that a person's non religion won't be held against them and we can move on from this idea that you must have God on your side to balance a budget or represent people.

I watched it. Romney was clearly the winner. Gingrich did well but he's always been a sharp guy. Maybe his campaigning could be light years better but just as far as someone who knows the issues, he's good and was good last night. Also Bachman seemed to insert herself as a competent alternative to Sarah Palin. I'd give both of them good marks. Paul was Paul and he's just too detached from reality to take seriously (I say this as someone who leans quite heavily libertarian on a LOT of issues). He's just too 'died in the wool', unelectable.

Cain is what he is as well...which is sort of an 'every-man' (even though he's a rich 'every-man') that speaks common sense...and eventually demonstrates that he doesn't know much beyond that. Santorum is the real deal, he's not a fake, he's a principled 'stuck in 1955' old school Republican. Which means, on a personal level I can respect that he's sincere, but his policy opinion is the worst of any of these candidates. Pawlenty is doomed. An absolute snooze-fest. No balls-at-all. His 'stump speech' ain't bad for the Republican base, he just isn't 'Presidential' in the least (read: 'Presidential' to the Rep base means 'John Wayne archetype').

Whatever else happens, you can take it to the bank - this thing will come down to Romney and (someone). Even if that is Rick Perry or Chris Christie or whomever. Of course, most of us already thought this but if there were any doubt - it is gone.

Romney is fairly articulate and so far has been shrugging off the religious Right and Tea Party folks.

I wonder how many undecideds he will take with him if Obama polls badly amongst them on job numbers around election time.

So Romney won? I was watching the Stanley Cup. Let's pump Mitt's tires. I didn't realize it was my job to.

I couldn't care less what his religious beliefs are. I don't even care any more, I don't think anyone can fix the mess we're in.

Indeed I doubt anyone wants to be the person who has to tell Joe the Plumber that his widget-welding job is obsolete and he needs to retrain for a digital widget solution integration job.

I heard most of the debate on the radio today. The format sucked.

I got whiplash from how fast the group went from "why the hell are we participating in attacking Libya" to "Obama has done nothing to support our allies/He has turned America's back on our international partners." :doh:

This is going to be a long year and a half.

Guess he's just trying to be funny, but :rolleyes: I forgot to laugh

Romney: 'I'm Also Unemployed' - NYTimes.com

Did anyone see the video of Mitt in a restaurant when he pretended to be goosed by the waitress? I have to find that online. Mitt trying to be funny=painful.

However I don't think we'll ever hear of Mitt sending pics of his weiner to anyone or dirty messaging. Now that could possibly shock me if it ever happened.

Ok where was diam...at some other place during Mitt's campaign four years ago? He didn't specify male or female. :D

Shakesville: Huh? Mitt Romney Pretends to Get His Ass Grabbed

Romney says, "Let's see if I can get my arms around everybody," as he lines up with several female waitresses for a photo-op. "Aw, come on—much closer, much closer," he says, squeezing them toward him. Then he exclaims, "Oh!" and jumps forward, as if he's been goosed. He looks at one of the waitresses, who points to another and says, "That was her!"

The video cuts to Romney walking down the street later. A reporter asks him if one of them really grabbed him. He grins and chuckles. "No, no, no. That was just teasing 'em." He laughs and then says it really did happen at some other place during his campaign four years ago. Whut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom