GOP Nominee 2012 - who will it be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This opens the door for Gov Perry of Texas I suppose, the only other governor with a long record of governing that matches his conservative rhetoric.

He's a corrupt asshole that's talked about seceeding, he wouldn't last one day in the national spotlight.

i think the smart conservatives are finding a near impossible path to election in 2012.

Mittens vs. Palin? the wonks vs. the fanatics? are there any wonks left in the GOP?

I am right this very moment reading 'Generation of Swine' - collection of Hunter S Thompson SF Examiner articles from the mid 80s, and Mitch Daniels as Reagan advisor (this from 1987) just popped up for a brief cameo: "He is a flimsy little yuppie who looks like something that got rejected at birth."

Hmm, Daniels would've already been almost 40 and the father of several children by that point, which makes the "yuppie" label seem a bit odd. He is kinda known for being 'boring'-looking and lacking in charisma (often pokes fun at himself for that) so that much is unsurprising.

girlfriend gonna be RUNNING!!!!

Rumors rampant Palin moving to Arizona
Published: May 22, 2011 at 3:05 PM
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz., May 22 (UPI) -- Lawyers declined comment on an Arizona real estate transaction that could result in Alaska's Sarah Palin relocating to Scottsdale.

A $1.7 million cash deal closed on an 8,000-square-foot house in northern Scottsdale at about the same time chatter began in political circles that Palin was looking at the upscale Phoenix suburb as a potential base for a 2012 presidential run, The Arizona Republic reported Saturday.

Palin was the vice presidential running mate of Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., in 2008 and, the Republic said, has also been mentioned as a potential candidate for the seat of retiring Sen. Jon Kyl, R-Ariz. Palin's daughter, Bristol, recently bought a house in the Phoenix area.

The Phoenix newspaper said the transaction involved a limited liability company and was being handled by a law firm that refused to comment on whether or not it was working for Palin.

While Palin's camp has not commented, Democratic activists are already spreading the word among supporters as part of their fundraising efforts, the Republic said.

Rumors rampant Palin moving to Arizona - UPI.com

(or the Palins are looking for somewhere to winter)

If Palin runs, Republican National Committee will do this and start planning for 2016.

Jb1LC.jpg

Palin is the only 2012 option besides Mittens who is a fundraising machine.

It's pretty obvious by now that neither the Democrats nor the Republicans will be doing anything to reform campaign finance, reduce the size of the military, or check in to see how the 4th Amendment is doing on life support these days thanks to 9/11. I guess I will be voting Obams solely on social issues alone.

makes the "yuppie" label seem a bit odd.

He (Hunter S Thompson) is continually referring to George HW Bush as a 'yuppie' too, so I think it's more a general insult of his, regarding a particular class of Republican or ethics/general 80s Reagan-ish whatever.

Wow-Mrs. Newt must have some nice rocks. Doesn't matter to me at all, not that I'd ever consider voting for him anyway.

WASHINGTON -- Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich defended the large debt he owed to the luxury jewelry store Tiffany & Co. in 2005 and 2006, saying he can spend his money as he pleases.

"We're private citizens," Gingrich said in an interview with Bob Schieffer on CBS's "Face the Nation" on Sunday. "I work very hard. We have a reasonably good income. I currently owe nothing except I owe one mortgage on a house that's a rental property in Wisconsin. Everything else is totally paid for. My home is paid for, my cars are paid for, we don't have a separate house. We don't do elaborate things."

Politico's Jake Sherman reported last week that financial disclosure forms filed with the U.S. House of Representatives show that in 2005 and 2006, Gingrich carried as much as $500,000 in debt on a "revolving charge account" with the jewelry store.

Gingrich's spokesman refused to comment when the news broke, but on Sunday, Gingrich said the debt was paid off "automatically" with "no interest."

"It's a normal way of doing business," he said in defense of what he called a "standard, low-interest account."

Gingrich refused to give more details on exactly what he spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on at the store, saying the spending was his "private decision."

"I mean, you're running for president," insisted Schieffer. "You're going to be the guy in charge of the Treasury Department. It just sticks out like a sore thumb."

"I am debt-free," Gingrich said. "If the U.S. government were as debt-free as I am, everyone in America would be celebrating. I think I have proven I can manage money, as a small businessman -- I run four small businesses. They have been profitable; they have employed people. This is the opposite of the Obama model. So as a private citizen who has done well, I think I'm allowed to pick and choose what I prefer doing."

Palin is the only 2012 option besides Mittens who is a fundraising machine.

i'm now pretty confident that the plan is to run and come in a close second to Mittens -- blame him for bein' a mean ol' man and pickin' on her and makin' fun'a Trig, as well as the lamestream media for askin' all sortsa questions where they're just repeatin' things she said verbatim back to her -- so that she wins the hearts and minds of GOP-type PUMAs across red state America ... and then writes another colossal best-seller.

she doesn't actually want to work, does she? she hasn't done any policy legwork and shown to be any sort of quick study, has she? her children don't go on to college, they go on to reality shows, don't they?

I saw Cain as he got into his Escalade and drove away this weekend from the park.

I sure hope that he picks a real ABLE VP to run with.

Actually, I pray that their last name is Abel and we can finally kiss the world goodbye in 2012 with a REEEEAAAL biblical apocalypse. :up:

*cocks gun* i ain't nobody's keeper!! *pew pew*

I wouldn't count Bachmann out in the fundraising department.

I think she is the choice for the former Palin supporters who see Palin as the groundbreaker.

Bachmann rivals Obama in success among small donors | St. Cloud TIMES | sctimes.com

Bachmann, already established as a prodigious fundraiser, collected $1.7 million in the first three months of this year, 75 percent of which came from donors who gave less than $200, according to an analysis by the Center for Responsive Politics. Her total was more than any other member of the House of Representatives except Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, the CRP reported.

“While Bachmann has not yet proven that she could scale up her fundraising capacity for the money needed to compete in a presidential rather than a congressional contest, her small-donor fundraising rate so far this year is higher than Obama’s — and exceeds that of the top Republican contenders four years ago,” the CRP said.

While Bachmann’s first-quarter, small-donor contributions percentage was an all-time high, Smart Politics noted, she raised more than 60 percent of her money from small donors in three of the four quarters in 2010 for her re-election campaign. Overall, Bachmann raised a record-setting $13.5 million during the two-year cycle.

I think she'd stand a better chance than Palin, only cause she's involved in politics and hasn't quit.

But she's just as big of an idiot and would be exposed just like Palin when the mean liberal media asks tough questions.

I think she'd stand a better chance than Palin, only cause she's involved in politics and hasn't quit.

But she's just as big of an idiot and would be exposed just like Palin when the mean liberal media asks tough questions.

I think it's amazing that she keeps the funds coming in DESPITE already looking so stupid.
Her big gaffes about NH and Massachusetts and America's founding?
But facts and teabag loyalists aren't the best of friends.

:rolleyes:

i'm now pretty confident that the plan is to run and come in a close second to Mittens -- blame him for bein' a mean ol' man and pickin' on her and makin' fun'a Trig, as well as the lamestream media for askin' all sortsa questions where they're just repeatin' things she said verbatim back to her -- so that she wins the hearts and minds of GOP-type PUMAs across red state America ... and then writes another colossal best-seller.
Hey, when you can receive tens of thousands of dollars for speaking engagements where you spout typical patriotic blabber and talk about real America, why not keep BSing voters out of their money?

I think it's amazing that she keeps the funds coming in DESPITE already looking so stupid.
Her big gaffes about NH and Massachusetts and America's founding?
But facts and teabag loyalists aren't the best of friends.

:rolleyes:

That's just it-the facts don't seem to matter. Of course you can make up all kinds of crap about the President not being an American citizen, but you can mess up anything yourself about American history. And it's not just anything-that was a very important event and distinction. I take it very personally :angry: Anyone who thinks or says that the shot heard round the world was in New Hampshire should be deported immediately :D

If she saw a Concord sign in NH and just ran with that, well I don't even know what to say about that. Maybe she just got confused :hug:

deep said:
Thank God.
INDY500 said:
Obviously I'm bummed.

This opens the door for Gov Perry of Texas I suppose, the only other governor with a long record of governing that matches his conservative rhetoric.
Oh God. No no no no no.

corianderstem said:
I still laugh when people call him Mittens.

I have no idea why he's called that, but it's hilarious.

Excuse my ignorance for a moment, I'll admit to not following this part of the election process very closely/well (the whose going to run, so and so might/might not part), but what happened to the guy I kept hearing was being groomed to take on Obama in 2012, right after Obama was elected. I feel like he was from New Orleans or just Louisiana. I was interested in finding out more about him, but forgot because I never really heard anything about him again after the first few stories.

Ha. I couldn't remember if he was the governor or some other role in Louisiana.

But yeah, he's gone quiet.

Jindal made a laughing stock of himself after Obama gave a speech on the environment. Jindal was chosen by the GOP to give the rebuttal speech and it was to be aired nationally right after Obama's speech. This was suppose to be his introduction to the nation and really get people stirred up and excited about a "well spoken minority" in the GOP, with hopes of grooming him for 2012. Well Jindal spoke to the country like it was a kindergarten class and he was the teacher, and the GOP turned on him very quickly. The next day he was trashed by all sides. Since then he's really made some big missteps in Louisiana and Republicans I think have given up hope for him in the national spotlight.

Jindal made a laughing stock of himself after Obama gave a speech on the environment. Jindal was chosen by the GOP to give the rebuttal speech and it was to be aired nationally right after Obama's speech. This was suppose to be his introduction to the nation and really get people stirred up and excited about a "well spoken minority" in the GOP, with hopes of grooming him for 2012. Well Jindal spoke to the country like it was a kindergarten class and he was the teacher, and the GOP turned on him very quickly. The next day he was trashed by all sides. Since then he's really made some big missteps in Louisiana and Republicans I think have given up hope for him in the national spotlight.

I will make an uncharacteristic statement about Jindal. I was just in NOLA a couple of weeks ago, and I got the impression that Jindal was doing a fairly good job for the state currently. I have to believe that if that's true, it is because he gave up national Republican aspirations (by force/choice/whichever) and has focused on improving Louisiana after the oil spill and after the hurricanes. This is a novel thing for a Republican governor, and if he is doing as good a job as it seems, then kudos to him.

FWIW

He has a high rating for Governor and he's actually done some good for the state. But I think most would agree, unless he makes some big changes, that's where he should stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom