Good point.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, please.

Hillary can run just fine because (1) she will be the candidate, not the candidate's spouse, and (2) she will be in a position to conduct more of a two-way dialogue.

Teresa is not a victim here.

I don't see why every other Dem from Crabapple Cove, Maine to Seattle to San Diego to Miami is all over Hillary.

I really don't think she'd be an overly great President from what I've seen of her.

Here are some of the possible touted Democratic candidates for 2008:
Hillary Clinton
John Edwards
John Kerry
Russ Feingold
Bill Richardson
Charles Schumer
Jesse Jackson
Ed Rendell
Tom Vilsack
Blanche Lincoln
Harold Ford Jr.

Not a very positive-looking list. I expect a)either a Hillary run in 2008, with another VERY close election, or b)the Dems run some flunky for 2008, more or less conceding to the Repubs those 4 years, grooming Obama or Hillary for a 2012 run.

Diane L said:
I like Hillary, but she is just too polarizing a figure to run in '08.

My sentiments exactly. We need someone who is more of a "unifier". It might be someone who is unknown right now, but some creative leadership might bring some new cream to the top, depending on the circumstances. Let's just say, for the sake of argument, that Iraq screws up big time, it doesn't go well. That set of circumstances will set up a particular scenario which will determine who does well and who doesn't. Conversely if Iraq more or less works out as best it can this scenario will have a different set of consequences, obviously.

U2democrat said:
Hillary doesn't have an ice cube's chance in hell of winning southern votes. :shrug:

Absolutely not. Stick any Southerner in the primaries against Hillary and she's toast after Super Tuesday, and that Southern opponent is the damn nominee.

I detest the idea of just conceding 2008 and 'grooming' someone for 2012. If the DNC cannot come up with ONE good candidate in the next four years, then we(liberals and democrats) are in worse shape than I thought.

namkcuR said:
I detest the idea of just conceding 2008 and 'grooming' someone for 2012. If the DNC cannot come up with ONE good candidate in the next four years, then we(liberals and democrats) are in worse shape than I thought.

And who can you think of that could possibly overcome the Christian right that would be prepared for a run in 2008?

tiny dancer said:
What the Democrats need is someone from the South as a candidate to run, and hope that they will carry some the southern states.

In my book they *must* do this. If they can do what Clinton was able to do, win Arkansas, Tennessee, Louisiana and Florida (which really is only geographically a Southern state; it's not "culturally" the South, and I should know as I partially grew up there and knew more people from Ohio and New York than other Southern states) then they have a shot.

I'm not a big fan of Al Sharpton's. He has a credibility problem in my book. If we can't do better than we are screwed. Four years is eons in American politics. The big question is always--can Nominee X unite the Democrats? Will Rogers used to joke he wasn't a member of an organized political party, he was a Democrat. That's not entirely a laughing matter--the guy was damn right. It's a perpetual challenge to us. We have had it for at least a century, and it's not going anywhere.

A snippet from the daily show a few nights ago: they were showing a clip fron Nightline, there was a conservative guy and a liberal guy, I forget what the issue being argued over was, but it's irrelevant. The conservative guy spoke first, and when the liberal guy was responding, he reached up and fiddled with his earpiece. Ten seconds later it fell out. When the clip finished, Jon Stewart had his head in his hands. He then looked into the camera and said "Step one in rebuilding the democratic party: KEEP YOUR FUCKING EARPIECE IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I was quite amused.

U2democrat said:
THE SOUTH AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY WILL RISE AGAIN!!!!! *pumps fist*

Yes. Simultaneously! We have the votes on Super Tuesday to pick the nominee! Now if we can just get the damn state officials to move our primary back to March so it won't be just a "rubber stamp primary". Whoever decided to change it to June needs to have their head examined. :mad: :madspit: :censored: :censored: :censored:

I'd like to know who the idiots were who changed the day of our primary. I think it's so stupid to have it the first week of June! :mad: :madspit: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Back
Top Bottom