Good news for women

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You beat me to it, Laura.

This is excellent news.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A vaccine that blocks infection by the four virus types that cause most cervical cancers and genital warts appears safe and effective, but may actually increase the chance of disease in some patients, according to Food and Drug Administration documents released Wednesday.

Merck & Co. seeks FDA approval for its Gardasil vaccine against four types of human papilloma virus, or HPV. Two of those four types are believed responsible for about 70 percent of cervical cancer cases. The cancer kills roughly 3,500 U.S. women a year; the other two types cause 90 percent of genital wart cases.

More here:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/conditions/05/17/cancer.vaccine.ap/index.html

WildHoneyAlways said:
This is good news. This story published in Jane magazine, was somewhat of a wake up call for me.

I read that same exact story.

Before last year, it had been almost five years since I had had any kind of checkup, due to not having any health insurance.

But, seeing those types of stories just goes to show not going and paying out of pocket for an exam, no matter how much, is less costly than losing your life.

Thanks, ladies for sharing this news and good news indeed. My grandmother died of cervical cancer, so it is of course a great concern of mine wondering if it can possibly be genetic and something passed down.

Great news.

Finally some real progress in combating this type of cancer. :up:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

Before last year, it had been almost five years since I had had any kind of checkup, due to not having any health insurance.

But, seeing those types of stories just goes to show not going and paying out of pocket for an exam, no matter how much, is less costly than losing your life.

I hadn't been in 3 years. Just went last week as I'll be without insurance soon. This is great news :up:

Thankfully planned parenthood and places like that will do very low cost exams. I think a lack of knowledge prevents a lot of women from going. My mom thought there would be no reason to see a gyn. until you're ready to have a baby for example. I found out about getting an annual pap in college.

I went in Feb. The funny thing is, I went on birth control over a year ago and did not have to have a gyn exam. I went to my childhood physician since he was going to also write me a prescription for Malarone (anti-malaria). When I went, the nurse set out all the stuff for a gyn exam and when the Dr. came he was shocked and said we didn't have to do one since I wasn't 21. Not that I would've cared. He insisted there was no possible way I could have cervical cancer. A while back, when I went to have my pill renewed at school, I had her do "the works" just to be sure, and because my aunt had breast cancer in her 20s.

What bothers me is how many of my friends refuse to have paps just because it's embarassing. You want to be sexually active, and at school paps only cost $20, but you're willing to put your life at risk because it's a bit embarassing?!?! :tsk: I'm glad for this shot, but I hope these girls realize they still need their paps and breast exams.

Good news:up:

Good news for guys as well, as without you we're nothing:wink:

Some low-risk strains of HPV also cause genital warts, and frankly nobody wants genital warts.

The price of the vaccine is a good deal less than that of treating and supporting people with cervical cancer, the reactionary groups that believe that the vaccine will encourage sexual activity at a young age are essentially saying that these awful viruses and diseases are a good way of discouraging sex. I suppose that this would make sense for their designer to have created such viruses, guess they keep humanity from sinning.

Back
Top Bottom