Going to protest Pres. Bush tomorrow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
Tomorrow morning Bush will be about 20 minutes from my university addressing the House Democrats on their retreat. There's going to be a huge rally, not just against Bush but also encouraging the House Dems to get some backbone. I plan on going and hopefully rounding up some fellow students to be a part of this. I'll report back tomorrow with pictures and what not :yes:

I'm excited, I've protested Karl Rove but never the President :hyper:

I´d think more of this if your username wasn´t "u2DEMOCRAT". I would protest against Bush but I think you´re a little too biased to have a 100% objective opinion.

Last edited:
Just the fact that you and your treasonist friends
can do something like this
proves that our great leader
is wonderful.

Would you have dared to do this in Iraq
against Saddam??

Just trying to put this in the proper context.

now, I gotta go listen to Hannity

deep said:
Would you have dared to do this in Iraq
against Saddam??

Just trying to put this in the proper context.

:up:

every time we do something, we must ask ourselves, "would Saddam have allowed me to do this?" and then, when the answer is "no," we must thank our Great Leader for liberating us from Saddam.

BrownEyedBoy said:
I´d think more of this if your username wasn´t "u2DEMOCRAT". I would protest against Bush but I think you´re a little too biased to have a 100% objective opinion.

I bet there are plenty of Republicans who want to protest him too. You can see the guy for what and who he is and judge him on his words and actions regardless of party affiliation-or you can't. I have made my judgments about Bush through observation and thinking and evaluation of his actions-how I feel about him has nothing to do with being a Democrat. There are also plenty of Republicans who will defend the guy no matter what he does just because of that elephant thing..

U2democrat said:
Tomorrow morning Bush will be about 20 minutes from my university addressing the House Democrats on their retreat. There's going to be a huge rally, not just against Bush but also encouraging the House Dems to get some backbone. I plan on going and hopefully rounding up some fellow students to be a part of this. I'll report back tomorrow with pictures and what not :yes:

I'm excited, I've protested Karl Rove but never the President :hyper:

Great Stuff!...............Can you also bring big arse signs that state

"GTMO HAS TO GO!"

and " DON'T BE PRICKS, RELEASE DAVID HICKS!"

friggin' hell i wish i was there................

Please,please if anyone can make it :

Canberra Convergence for David Hicks
On the Opening of Parliament

Tuesday 6 February 2007, 11 am

Re: Re: Going to protest Pres. Bush tomorrow

fly so high! said:

Great Stuff!...............Can you also bring big arse signs that state

"GTMO HAS TO GO!"

and " DON'T BE PRICKS, RELEASE DAVID HICKS!"

friggin' hell i wish i was there................

Please,please if anyone can make it :

Canberra Convergence for David Hicks
On the Opening of Parliament

Tuesday 6 February 2007, 11 am

Oh man, I remember how the news reported about his case last year this time around.
Still nothing happened?

Good luck and have fun, U2Democrat. :)

You GO, girl! :up: :bonodrum: :applaud: :applaud: :wave:

Though everyone who applauds our "freedom to protest" should note that in other countries, you probably don't need to apply for a permit to have a protest (could you see the democracy demonstators in East Germany or any city square in 1989 doing that? Would 1989 have been 1989?) , and other countries probably don't have "private property" laws where you can't hold a protest on privately owned property of any kind. Maybe in other places you do have to apply for a permit, but from the look of things, that can't be the case in, say, France, for example. Maybe it is in Canada? 35 yrs ago nobboy was required to apply for a permit to protest Vietnam, and even if they were, the permits could not have been as strict, otherwise, we couldn't have had the size protests. (And don't grouse about Vietnam, hippies, etc; what matters is the RIGHT to protest....what do you do, sign an agreement that : "we will no be violent" or do this or that"? How many police were secrely planted (it was revealed later) in the crowd to stir up trouble? A practice that is common again.)
As some of you point out. And violence has nothing to do with it....

Which means that holding a public protest at, for example, that most common gathering place for Americans these days, the property around a shopping mall, you can't protest. In the past 4 yrs in Albany group after group has tried to protest the war (and other issues, we have a big Lebanese community here for example) and the police have forced them out within 15 minutes. I've wateched t happen. Malls: the common public gathering place in America, but privately owned. Hmmmm.

And don't forget, under the Provisions of the Patriot Act II, any gathering of TWO PEOPLE or more can legally be considered a terrorist group.

Compared to, say, China, we are still a democratic paradise; but we are A HELL OF A LOT LESS FREE THAN A DECAD AGO.

And don't forget the 80,000+ people who are currently on the "no-fly list", which means they can't leave the country. And it is enforced.

Like I said: U2Democrat, you GO, girl. You are a brave soul.

Last edited:
That's stretching it a little, INDY. But BUSH=PINOCHET would be nice. In terms of making people "disappear", he has certainly proven a worthy disciple of the old rogue.

Personally, I'd settle for "King George The Third"....George II being the guy we fought to free ourselves from. If you'll remember.

Something else to put on a sign:

"You can fool some of the people some of the time
You can fool all of the people some of the time
But you can't fool ALL of the people ALL of the time"

--Lincoln

However, that might backfire, b/c

1) that would be too many words for Bush's brain to handle all at once as it would explode (which come to think of it wouldn't be a bad thing);
or
2) He'd forget Lincoln was a Republican.....if he even knew that at all....his actions don't prove he remembers, that's for sure....

And I doubt he even knows who Pinochet was, let alone from what country or even hemisphere. Again, his brain would explode.

Last edited:
U2democrat said:
not just against Bush but also encouraging the House Dems to get some backbone.

:up: the Dems need to stop being "Republicans-lite". Hopefully they'll get the message.

ntalwar, they won't unless we light a veritable fire under their behinds. They're a bunch of :censored: cowards. Trust me, I am a third-generation Dem and I know. :wink:

Not to be snarkey Teta040, but it was actually King George the Third that the colonies excised themselves from.

So today's man would be George the Fourth I guess.

I agree with you otherwise.

Thanks Keiran...yep.

I have committed the cardinal sin of all Generation X sins:
I have forgotten my Schoolhouse Rock.:mad: :no: :scream:

I didn't notice that until it was too late to edit. Just don't send me to The Bay for this one, will you?:(

tiny dancer said:
More power to you U2 democrat!! :up: :up: :up:

Right on..represent those who wish they could be there...like me!!!
Protest away!! Scream and shout...this is still a country with free speech, isn't it??
And gee, who gives a rats you -know-what whether Saddam would let us do this...that's not relevant to what Bushy has done ..that's apples and oranges..
Thanks.

MrsSpringsteen said:

I bet there are plenty of Republicans who want to protest him too. You can see the guy for what and who he is and judge him on his words and actions regardless of party affiliation-or you can't. I have made my judgments about Bush through observation and thinking and evaluation of his actions-how I feel about him has nothing to do with being a Democrat. There are also plenty of Republicans who will defend the guy no matter what he does just because of that elephant thing..

I said I wanted to protest him myself, too, you know?

Re: Re: Re: Going to protest Pres. Bush tomorrow

Vincent Vega said:

Oh man, I remember how the news reported about his case last year this time around.
Still nothing happened?

Disgusting is'nt it!.............Even Oz forgot about him until recently (must have something to do with our media, you see , it's also in cohoots with the goverment and it's constiuents!) anyhow this is the (1) one topic that is currently making my blood boil now!............well with the up-coming federal election David hicks is everywhere....lets hope it does him some good..........members of Parliament begged Pelosi to do something........well something has happened.......new charges have been pressed........still it looks like he is not coming home for a while yet, if ever!!! The Bastards!!!!!

Teta040 said:

Though everyone who applauds our "freedom to protest" should note that in other countries, you probably don't need to apply for a permit to have a protest (could you see the democracy demonstators in East Germany or any city square in 1989 doing that? Would 1989 have been 1989?) , and other countries probably don't have "private property" laws where you can't hold a protest on privately owned property of any kind. Maybe in other places you do have to apply for a permit, but from the look of things, that can't be the case in

You need to get a permission here in Germany as well, when you want to march through the streets.
Otherwise there would be chaos because someone has to close the streets you are marching through.

And they don't want to have a march of three or whatever different groups through the same area of a city.
Like when there is the Loveparade here in Berlin, and they didn't have to get a permission, there would be three countermovements between Brandenburg Gate and Victory Column.
Or when the stupids, i.e. the Neonazis want to protest they have to get a permission for the date and the places they want to demonstrate. So it can be assured that they don't demonstrate in front of the Holocaust memorial.
Furthermore the countermovement of the left can be organized, and the police can prepare for the marches.

However, when people demonstrated on Mondays in 1989, they weren't allowed to do that. Honecker even asked his advisor why not to use tanks like the Chines did, or like the Soviets did on 1953-06-17.

They told him that it wouldn't help, because people were trained how to use tissues so that the driver of the tank can't see anymore, and they told him that times have changed and there was no backup by the Soviets.
Nevertheless, the demonstrators in East Germany put themself to danger, and they literally risked their lifes by protesting.
I don't think it is that bad in the USA, is it?

fly so high! said:

Disgusting is'nt it!.............Even Oz forgot about him until recently (must have something to do with our media, you see , it's also in cohoots with the goverment and it's constiuents!) anyhow this is the (1) one topic that is currently making my blood boil now!............well with the up-coming federal election David hicks is everywhere....lets hope it does him some good..........members of Parliament begged Pelosi to do something........well something has happened.......new charges have been pressed........still it looks like he is not coming home for a while yet, if ever!!! The Bastards!!!!!

It's always the same. As soon as a story doesn't generate money anymore, they let it drop immediately.

And the politicians are thankful because they don't have to act as if they were doing something anymore.
Except before the elections, because that's always good to bring up such a topic and promote how much the own party is going to intervene here.

Last edited:
MrsSpringsteen said:

While I'm not happy with Bush right now, I have never regretted the 2 votes I cast for him. I thank God that he's in there instead of Gore or Kerry.

80sU2isBest said:

While I'm not happy with Bush right now, I have never regretted the 2 votes I cast for him. I thank God that he's in there instead of Gore or Kerry.

Do you kinda wish you could have given your votes to some other Republican candidate though?

maycocksean said:

Do you kinda wish you could have given your votes to some other Republican candidate though?

Actually, I think I voted for someone else in the primaries in 200 or 2004. I don't remember who.

I would actually prefer a conservative from neither of the two major parties.

I'd love to protest Bush. That guy has done nothing to earn my respect. He's botched everything. No telling how long it will take to clean up the mess he's made of my country. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

It was a GREAT protest today :up:

When we got there all I could think about was how happy I am to live in a country where we have the right do peacefully assemble :yes:

I ended up being about 100ft away from Bush as his motorcade went by (which was a somewhat surreal feeling for me), and we certainly let our presence be known.

As we lined up along the very busy Route 60, 99% of the people who drove by honked and gave us a thumbs up. I'll post pictures a little bit later. There was a lot of media there, so who knows maybe my picture will show up in some papers :D

Back
Top Bottom