God answers prayer, cures girl of cancer.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe in science, and I want to and do believe in miracles. They can and do happen. Small ones, big ones, everyday ones.

But I have a real problem just saying that God answered prayers and cured anyone , because what does that say about the "unanswered" prayers (well the ones with the sad, tragic and thus wrong answer). The God I believe in would have nothing to do with that, and that is not Him. I certainly do believe in the power of prayer and in the strength and comfort and love that it creates. Prayer can be a component of miracles, but I believe miracles can also happen without prayer.

Maybe somewhere between science and prayer and faith and all of that is a powerful force and a place that we don't even know about. Maybe some things are better kept as mysteries.

MrsSpringsteen said:

But I have a real problem just saying that God answered prayers and cured anyone , because what does that say about the "unanswered" prayers (well the ones with the sad, tragic and thus wrong answer). The God I believe in would have nothing to do with that, and that is not Him. I certainly do believe in the power of prayer and in the strength and comfort and love that it creates. Prayer can be a component of miracles, but I believe miracles can also happen without prayer.

I completely agree. Prayer brings people together to comfort one another and allows people to have a channel for communicating with God. But if prayer was all it took, then why was Jesus not spared?

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I completely agree. Prayer brings people together to comfort one another and allows people to have a channel for communicating with God. But if prayer was all it took, then why was Jesus not spared?

The Bible tells us Jeus knew he was to die. He knew it was God's will. He came to Earth to die. That's the point. He was God's sacrifice for our sins. He died, and then rose again, conquering death for our sake.

Prayer isn't always all it takes. I beleive science and modern medicine are often the answer to prayer. On the other hand somtimes prayers aren't answered. Then there's miracles, which happen a lot more often than people would think.

coemgen said:

The Bible tells us Jeus knew he was to die. He knew it was God's will. He came to Earth to die. That's the point. He was God's sacrifice for our sins. He died, and then rose again, conquering death for our sake.

It doesn't change the fact that he was fully human when he came and that he pleaded with God for his life. Many cancer patients basically know they are going to die. It's no different.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

It doesn't change the fact that he was fully human when he came and that he pleaded with God for his life. Many cancer patients basically know they are going to die. It's no different.

Did he plea for his life?

Luke 22:42
"Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done."

MrsSpringsteen said:

All prayers are answered. Sometimes the answer is not the one we want. After many trying times in life, with many hours spent on my knees, I’ve come to realize that prayer is real, it is powerful, but the biggest thing is that prayer changes me. God is not a genie in a lamp, ready to do our bidding with one quick arrow prayer. Prayer is part of the relationship with God, and at the end of the day it helps make our minds more like His.

nbcrusader said:

All prayers are answered. Sometimes the answer is not the one we want. After many trying times in life, with many hours spent on my knees, I’ve come to realize that prayer is real, it is powerful, but the biggest thing is that prayer changes me. God is not a genie in a lamp, ready to do our bidding with one quick arrow prayer. Prayer is part of the relationship with God, and at the end of the day it helps make our minds more like His.

Wow, I could not agree more!

Back
Top Bottom