Go Satans!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Klodomir

Refugee
Yahoo! News - AP

Board Studies 'Satans' Nickname
Thu Aug 1, 9:38 AM ET

DEVILS LAKE, N.D. (AP) - School Board officials here expect a flurry of comments when they open debate on Devils Lake High School's "Satans" nickname.

Three hours have been allotted for debate Thursday night. "I think we'll probably use it all," School Board President Kevin Regan said.

The time frame was set so the public meeting does not drag on forever, he said. The format allows three minutes per speaker.

Ten years ago, the board voted 3-2 to retain the nickname after a bitter battle.

"The debate was very polarized in 1992, with a lot of angry testimony," Regan said. "I think, or at least I hope, both sides are more cordial and diplomatic now, which will make the meeting more meaningful."

However, "There are a lot of strong feelings on both sides, so it's a no-win situation for the board," he said.

Tom Mertens made the nickname-change request at the July 18 School Board meeting, saying students need to be able to establish an identity because the Satans nickname and devil mascot are being used sparingly. He said the nickname has divided the community and its support for athletic teams for many years.

Some church leaders find the nickname inappropriate or offensive. School Superintendent Steve Swiontek has said he favors a name change.

Pro-nickname forces have held two meetings, with about two dozen supporters at each, to prepare their presentation.

"Our presenters will talk about different sides of the issue," pro-nickname organizer Gary Krantz said. "I will make eight points. I'll have to talk fast."

Regan said Thursday's meeting is for gathering information, and no final decision will be reached. A decision could come at the next board meeting, scheduled for Aug. 19.

"I think the entire board is open-minded on the issue," Regan said. "This meeting will have a big impact. The students will have a say in it, and the alumni will have a say. But I don't believe any one group will have weight over any other group."

Re: Re: Go Satans!?

DrTeeth said:

Why is this important? :grumpy:

If you look at if from their point of view, I think you can see why they would find it inappropriate. If you view "Satan" as the name of an actual, real, supernatural being who is the epitome of evil, seeking the destruction of mankind, you might think that having Satan as a high-school mascot is trivializing a very dangerous thing. And that can be dangerous.

Granted, lions, sharks, and bears are all dangerous, but these church leaders probably consider Satan to be much more dangerous, and thus it is much more dangerous to trivialize Satan, than a shark.

Of course, if you view "Satan" is a myth, it ain't no thang.

So why is it ok to be named the 'Devils' but not 'Satans' ?

devils50.gif

I wondered that too. Maybe they would be just as upset about Devils as Satans. Or maybe they find Devils more acceptable because it is a little less specific. It's a word that is used more liberally (e.g. "those little devils didn't play a single song off Pop!"), often in a playful way. So maybe they see "Satans" as referencing a specific evil being, and "Devils" as having a less specific, and thus less inappropriate, meaning.

I don't know. I'm just making this crap up.

sula, I know I could PM you, but I don't have time to jump over there right now...tell me again when you leave for Europe? We're just wicked busy, Kara's sister is on total bed rest and on the verge of giving birth, etc....but I hope we can see you before you go.

lol. busy spiral. (what's new? ;)) I'm leaving on August 13th. I believe the Twin Cities gang is going to try to have brunch the Sunday before that (not confirmed yet) so if you can make that it would be grand. Otherwise, just give me a call and maybe we can get together somewhere else, another time. etc. I'll PM you. :p

Sicy said:

That's interesting, Sicy...I've never thought about that before.

Even on Halloween...lots of kids dress up as the devil...but I bet if they went around saying they were dressed up as Satan that people would think that was inappropriate.

Names .......in american football ...

Buffalo Destroyers ..

and on yahoo , you can find official site about Satanism .:huh: :huh:

can that also be my going away brunch?

sulawesigirl4 said:
the Twin Cities gang is going to try to have brunch the Sunday before that

*pencils that in*

*edited cos i didn't want to hijack this thread

ok, so as far as mascots are concerned, i think that if you don't have them be like north high polar bears or washington high quarters then you are sol for finding a different mascot.

i went to a high school named after henry sibley, minnesota's first governor. ever since i was in kindergarten, we were the warriors, complete with an indian head as out mascot. until the native americans put their foot down and pointed out that sibley led the largest massacre of indians in united states history in mankato killing something like 3000 by lynching and gunshot.

this was debated for a long time, because that's not really the whole story, the truth is that the 3000 indians were making an attack on mankato (that's a city in southern minnesota) and the white people fought back. just so happened that the whites killed a lot more of the indians than the indians killed of the whites.

this story is debated on both sides, but we ended up changing the mascot to the warriors with a knight as our picture mascot. it's dumb, but whatever, i don't care anymore...what with the graduating and all.

i don't understand fighting against mascots (well, in the warrior case, i get that) but things like the satans, it's pointless. how many irish people petition notre dame every year?

Last edited:
well, it will be my going away, birthday, graduation your going away, tiff's b-day...

sulawesigirl4 said:

:yes: I think that should work for everyone, don't you?

we have a lot to celebrate

so many occasions, so little time

Lilly said:

we have a lot to celebrate

ohhh geez. yeah we do! *wonders if it is flattering to either you or I to have people celebrating our LEAVING* :lol: :huh:

anyways, let's plan on it.

Sicy said:

Or for that matter, what about two prominent Christian universities and THEIR evil mascots???

The Methodist-affiliated Duke "Blue Devils"

and

The Baptist-affiliated Wake Forest "Demon Deacons"???

Can you imagine the hedonistic evil that takes place when these two teams brawl on the basketball court?

Seriously, (and this is not pointed at RavenStar), when will some fundamentalist Satanic group complain about the offensive use of "devil" mascots? Or as we often learn, it is not the subject group that complains, but some attention starved nose-pickers that get too caught up in the trendiness of political correctness who launch these campaigns about "offensive" mascots.

~U2Alabama

I guess the reason that fundamentalist Satanic groups don't get offended by "devil" mascots is that they don't see a reason to be offended. I can't really answer on their behalf though.

Re: so many occasions, so little time

sulawesigirl4 said:
Ik ben een vrouw, hoor mij eens brullen!! doe maar gewoon, dan doe je al gek genoeg

kom maar, kom maar, kom maar
What's with the Dutch stuff, sula?

i'm offended by the devils

devils50.gif

they sicken me. probably not for the right reasons though.

zegt!

be nice, you dutchies! :p
Or I shall be forced to resort to Indonesian as my new language of choice. :mac:

Back
Top Bottom