Go Obama!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get it, what are they polling exactly?

I mean how do you poll Obama against Romney? How many get to see what Romney is really doing?

And how do you poll Obama against someone who is unemployed?

The question they asked was, "In thinking about the 2012 Election for President of the United States, suppose you had a choice between Republican Mitt Romney and Democrat Barack Obama. If the election were held today, would you vote for Republican Mitt Romney or Democrat Barack Obama?" And then the same question only with Palin instead of Romney.

I don't get it, what are they polling exactly?

Really?
Romney has more of a record, and people are more familiar with him being an executive
than they were with Obama when many were supporting him.

2012 will be a lot different for Obama
- he will not be able to run against the one of the most unpopular and worst rated Presidents.

Let's hope Romney does not get that opportunity.

I'm thinking Obama has a tougher time of it on the road to the Democratic Convention in 2012. Especially if it turns into change we shouldn't have believed in. Time will tell.
There will be those ready to pounce if his term gets ugly.
I am pulling for him, though.

If he makes it through that I dont see any Republican having much of a chance. The Country has given the Dems their chance. It's now up to them. Even if Obama falls out of favor the Democrats should still hold onto the White House. I just dont see the voters putting their trust in the Republicans for awhile. Unless things get really bad.

I'm thinking Obama has a tougher time of it on the road to the Democratic Convention in 2012.

Because...?

If he makes it through that I dont see any Republican having much of a chance. The Country has given the Dems their chance. It's now up to them. Even if Obama falls out of favor the Democrats should still hold onto the White House. I just dont see the voters putting their trust in the Republicans for awhile. Unless things get really bad.

:scratch:

Was this an answer to my question?

Yes, life was better when Romney was leading your state. :wink:

And that has what to do with Obama overspending? I never said Mitt was great. Diamond thinks he's all that and a bag of chips, ask him :wink:

You'd think that any rock star would relish a chance to get a public embrace from the President of the United States, even if they didn't agree on everything.

But not Bono.

On a BBC program last night, the superstar U2 singer recalled how he he stiffed President Bush out of the photo op in 2006 at the National Prayer Breakfast.

The former President was on the stage with Bush when "Dubya" tried to hug Bono.

"There were all kinds of people in the audience," Bono recalled on Jonathan Ross' talk show.

Bono admitted he didn't feel like being the recipient of a hug from a man with whom he had so many political disagreements.

As the affectionate President neared, Bono tried to "dodge the hug" by jumping behind a podium.

The sidestep worked, and just about nobody in the audience knew it happened — though it was all captured on camera.

But — there was one sharp-eyed Senator in the bipartisan crowd who saw it all.

"When I was sitting down I was beside Sen. Obama, the star said the future President whispered to him, 'Nice work with the hug dodge.'"

A guest op-ed from today's Jerusalem Post re: the standoff between the Obama Administration and the Israeli government over the East Jerusalem settlement expansion which I posted about earlier. The author is the president of Shalom Akhshav/Peace Now, a joint Israeli-US NGO.
Obama means what he says

by Debra DeLee

Israeli leaders say they're bewildered by the Obama Administration's "obsession" with West Bank settlement growth. Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu was recently quoted asking/grumbling, "What do they want from me?" His aides told reporters and American Jewish leaders that Washington's position on settlements is "childish," "stupid" and "delusional" and that the Obama team should "come to its senses."

I don't think that Netanyahu and his aides are genuinely perplexed or mystified by the administration's demand that Israel stop all settlement construction in the West Bank. They know why settlements are an obstruction to earnestly negotiating a peace deal with the Palestinians. They know that settlements are an obstacle to the implementation of a two-state solution and therefore an impediment to America's policy in the region. They also know that Israel is committed to the road map peace plan, which calls for freezing all settlement activity including "natural growth."

What they apparently refuse to understand is that this president, unlike his predecessors in the White House, really means it..."Part of being a good friend is being honest," Obama recently told National Public Radio. "And I think there have been times where we are not as honest as we should be about the fact that the current direction, the current trajectory in the region is profoundly negative, not only for Israeli interests but also US interests." Settlements, he said, are a part of that.

In a recent interview with The New York Times's Thomas Friedman, Obama correctly pointed out that "there is a kabuki dance going on constantly" with regard to Middle East peace efforts. He boldly added: "That is what I would like to see broken down. I am going to be holding up a mirror and saying: 'Here is the situation, and the US is prepared to work with all of you to deal with these problems.'" He then said: "Leaders have to lead, and, hopefully, they will get supported by their people."

...If Netanyahu and his team seriously consider the president's agenda, they may realize--as well they should--that it constitutes a rare opportunity for ending, once and for all, the Arab-Israel conflict, including the conflict with the Palestinians. Obama clearly stated why a freeze on settlements is imperative. He is seeking meaningful negotiations toward a final resolution of the conflict. For such negotiations to be held in earnest, Israel cannot take measures that prejudge their outcome and should not engage in actions that Palestinians and their Arab brethren throughout the Middle East view as provocative and aggressive. Obviously, the Palestinians should take steps to show that they are serious about peace negotiations and Arab governments should do their part to support peace efforts, and the president is pushing on these fronts. But what the Arabs do or not do doesn't change what Israel should do.

...And now, particularly now, instead of seeking "shticks and tricks" to evade a settlement freeze--in the words of New York Congressman Gary Ackerman, a staunch friend of Israel--Netanyahu should do whatever it takes to take advantage of the opportunity that Obama proposes. As we see it, no Israeli leader can afford to turn his or her back at such an opportunity. Generations of Israelis will demand explanations from leaders who missed opportunities for peace because they insisted, instead, on entrenching the devastating occupation of the West Bank.
It doesn't help our government's position that the settlement in question is being bankrolled by an American businessman (Irving Moskowitz, well-known to the Israeli press for years for funding all manner of settlement projects in East Jerusalem). :slant: If Netanyahu doesn't back down then targeted sanctions should be pursued, though I doubt that'd meet with Congressional approval.

It doesn't help our government's position that the settlement in question is being bankrolled by an American businessman (Irving Moskowitz, well-known to the Israeli press for years for funding all manner of settlement projects in East Jerusalem). :slant: If Netanyahu doesn't back down then targeted sanctions should be pursued, though I doubt that'd meet with Congressional approval.

Potentially the biggest obstacle to peace in Israel/Palestinian territories is the militant American Jewish diaspora. I can't stress enough how every single Israeli fellow (medical/surgical) that I worked with spoke of this group with utter disgust.

So long as they are bankrolling these sorts of actions and lobbying hard in Washington, there will be no peace. Maybe in 50 years when the Palestinians decisively outnumber the Israelis so that you have an actual apartheid system going on, things will change by necessity, but until then, forget it.

I like Obama's stance here.

That crowd isn't going to disappear anytime soon, and neither are their 'Christian Zionist' cronies (just saw a blurb in the NYT today about Rev. John Hagee convening his 'Christians United for Israel' organization's annual summit in Washington). What is really needed is a broad-based, peaceful, coordinated grassroots movement, like the South Africa divestment campaigns in the '80s, focused on readily graspable aims and addressing equally graspable basic justice and fairness issues--which polling consistently shows most Americans, including most American Jews, consider the settlements issue for example to be. Yes, setting the tone for any such campaign would be a more delicate matter than was the case with South Africa; we didn't have the problem in that situation of there being many Americans, white or black, who saw South Africa as an ancestral homeland in any sense, which probably would've made things tenser. But it could be done.

If nothing else, even prior to that, there's an obvious problem of passivity on the part of the considerable proportions of Americans whom polling indicates want to see change on issues like the settlements, who strongly support a two-state solution. I can't tell you how many times I've interrupted someone who's ranting about the Israel lobby and asked what they're doing about the issue--which lobbying organizations do they donate to and write letters for, how often do they contact their Congressmen, have they participated in any of the targeted boycott campaigns, etc.--and gotten the answer "Oh, nothing, it's just something that annoys me is all," which I find really frustrating. Believe me, that's not the spirit AIPAC's supporters act with, and it shows.

Liz Cheney Defends Birthers On Larry King (VIDEO)

Appearing on "Larry King," she dismissed the Castle video and suggested that people have reason to question Obama's national loyalty.

"I think the Democrats have got more crazies than the Republicans do," Cheney said. "But setting that aside, one of the reasons you see people so concerned about this, I think this issue is, people are uncomfortable with having for the first time ever, I think, a president who seems so reluctant to defend the nation overseas ..."

Asked directly by King if she actually thought Obama was born in Kenya, Cheney responded, "No, I'm not saying that." But then she kept going. "I'm saying that people are fundamentally uncomfortable and fundamentally I think increasingly uncomfortable with an American president who seems to be afraid to defend America, stand up for what we believe in."

Asked directly by King if she actually thought Obama was born in Kenya, Cheney responded, "No, I'm not saying that." But then she kept going. "I'm saying that people are fundamentally uncomfortable and fundamentally I think increasingly uncomfortable with an American president who seems to be afraid to defend America, stand up for what we believe in."

That's a lot of verbal diarrhea and not all that difficult to translate either. At least have the balls to say it directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom