Go Obama!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am glad Obama has taken a firm stand on "No more Israeli Settlement expansion of any kind"

This is way over due from our State Departments.

I am glad Obama has taken a firm stand on "No more Israeli Settlement expansion of any kind"

This is way over due from our State Departments.

I have the feeling they are genuinely serious about this because now the Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister has been making almost identical statements about this over the last couple of days. This is surprising given that our right wing government has a strong pro-Israeli lean. They are clearly falling in line here.

From Keith Olbermann's special comment from May 2008:
"Mr. President," he was asked, "you haven't been golfing in recent years. Is that related to Iraq?"

"Yes," began perhaps the most startling reply of this nightmarish blight on our lives as Americans on our history. "It really is. I don't want some mom whose son may have recently died to see the Commander in Chief playing golf. I feel I owe it to the families to be as — to be in solidarity as best as I can with them. And I think playing golf during a war just sends the wrong signal."

Golf, sir? Golf sends the wrong signal to the grieving families of our men and women butchered in Iraq? Do you think these families, Mr. Bush, their lives blighted forever, care about you playing golf? Do you think, sir, they care about you?

(skipping ahead)

When somebody asks you, sir, about your gallant, noble, self-abnegating sacrifice of your golf game so as to soothe the families of the war dead.

This advice, Mr. Bush: Shut the hell up!

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama hit the golf course after marking his first Memorial Day as commander in chief.

The president's motorcade took him to Fort Belvoir in Virginia. That's where he went for a game of golf more than a week ago.

Obama grabbed his clubs after he participated in Memorial Day observances at Arlington National Cemetery. He laid a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknowns and, in brief remarks, saluted the men and women of America's fighting forces as "the best of America."

It was not immediately clear who joined the president for the round of golf.

Press was not allowed, no photos or video exists. Maybe the president didn't want some mom whose son may have recently died to see the Commander in Chief playing golf'... on Memorial Day.

Boy, imagine the neck-vein-popping special comment GWB rushing off from the wreath laying ceremony to play golf would have produced.

Hey Keith. Fore !!

From Keith Olbermann's special comment from May 2008:

Press was not allowed, no photos or video exists. Maybe the president didn't want some mom whose son may have recently died to see the Commander in Chief playing golf'... on Memorial Day.

Boy, imagine the neck-vein-popping special comment GWB rushing off from the wreath laying ceremony to play golf would have produced.

Hey Keith. Fore !!

I'm guessing less animated special comments about habeas corpus and military tribunals as well.

Olbermann is saying that giving up golf is a stupid, shallow, pointless gesture (I agree wholeheartedly, and I can't stand Olbermann), so I doubt he'd have a problem with Obama playing golf.

Olbermann is saying that giving up golf is a stupid, shallow, pointless gesture (I agree wholeheartedly, and I can't stand Olbermann), so I doubt he'd have a problem with Obama playing golf.

He'd damn well have a problem with Bush playing golf, that's the point. "You sir, the commander-in-chief sir, spend this most solemn of days... with a sand wedge."

Have we heard from Michael Moore yet. He used shots of Bush playing golf as proof he wasn't really sincere about fighting al Qaeda or terrorism.
"Now, watch this drive." Doesn't matter that quote was taken out of context of course.

Speaking of, remember when Michael Moore was so concerned that bills were being passed by Congress without members actually reading them that he'd ride around Washington D.C. in an ice cream truck reading aloud the contents of the bill over a loudspeaker?

I'm guessing he stopped doing that.

He'd damn well have a problem with Bush playing golf, that's the point.

Um, that entire snippet from Olbermann you posted states the contrary. The problem he had was not with the golf playing, it was with the ridiculous gesture Bush was making by not playing golf, in some bizarre, twisted show of sympathy. As though not playing golf is going to ease the pain of parents whose children were killed in the war. Please.

It was very important that the American people knew that their President was doing everything possible to end the War.
That he had a personal stake in the duration, that each day the War went on, he was paying a price, too.

It was very important that the American people knew that their President was doing everything possible to end the War.
That he had a personal stake in the duration, that each day the War went on, he was paying a price, too.

Such a personal toll the not playing golf must have taken on him. Absolutely tragic.

I cannot even fathom the thought process that went into that decision. For fuck's sake, what an insult to the families that lost loved ones in the war.

Now I'm all riled up, and I need to take deep cleansing breaths and remind myself that he's gone now. :wink:

Um, that entire snippet from Olbermann you posted states the contrary. The problem he had was not with the golf playing, it was with the ridiculous gesture Bush was making by not playing golf, in some bizarre, twisted show of sympathy. As though not playing golf is going to ease the pain of parents whose children were killed in the war. Please.

How about Olbermann's Feb '08 Special Comment about telecom immunity?

"If you believe in the seamless mutuality of government and big business, come out and say it. There is a dictionary definition. One word that describes that toxic blend - you're a fascist! Get them to print you a T-shirt with fascist on it."

What are the odds we get a Special Comment Monday when the government and General Motors toxically blend? Was "dictionary fascism" on Keith's lips when the federal government seamlessly took control in several of the nations largest banks earlier this year?

Or for that matter, was there a call for Senator Obama to wear a printed T-shirt with fascist on it
when he voted FOR the FISA bill with immunity as a senator or since then, as now president, made no gesture to change or repeal the law?

How about Olbermann's Feb '08 Special Comment about telecom immunity?

What are the odds we get a Special Comment Monday when the government and General Motors join together in that toxic blend? Was "dictionary fascism" on Keith's lips when the federal government seamlessly took control in several of the nations largest banks?

Or for that matter, was there a call for Senator Obama to wear a printed fascist t-shirt when he voted for the FISA bill with immunity as a senator or since then, as now president, made no gesture to change or repeal the law?

:huh: I was talking about the one issue. I stated in my first post that I'm no fan of Olbermann, I find him shrill and obnoxious, the flip side of O'Reilly and Limbaugh.

Nice try at deflecting from Bush's stupid-ass golf self-punishment, though.

I'm talking about the double standard. If you find him obnoxious and the flip side of Rush Limbaugh then we agree about something.

Both these Special Comments were discussed on earlier threads with the general consensus that "Keith nailed it." No doubt with extra points for calling Bush a fascist and to "shut the hell up." But then they probably operate under the same double standard and in the same bubble as Keith.

Sorry to get you all riled up.

I'm talking about the double standard. If you find him obnoxious and the flip side of Rush Limbaugh then we agree about something.

Both these Special Comments were discussed on earlier threads with the general consensus that "Keith nailed it." No doubt with extra points for calling Bush a fascist and to "shut the hell up." But then they probably operate under the same double standard and in the same bubble as Keith.

Sorry to get you all riled up.

I don't like sensationalistic media from either end of the political spectrum. It's very undignified and chock full of bias. I prefer to get my news from less shouty sources. I recall that while there were some Olbermann defenders on here, there were also quite a few liberals who feel pretty much the same way I do about him.

You didn't rile me up, it was your buddy Bush. :) I know there's no chance we'll ever agree on anything politically, but I just find it astonishing that anyone could defend Bush's exercise in golf deprivation. It may have been well intentioned, but it was seriously plain dumb and insulting.

I don't like sensationalistic media from either end of the political spectrum. It's very undignified and chock full of bias. I prefer to get my news from less shouty sources. I recall that while there were some Olbermann defenders on here, there were also quite a few liberals who feel pretty much the same way I do about him.

I can no longer watch Hannity for this reason. Obama Derangement Syndrome. My beef is with the "enchantment" others in the press have with the president.
I'm glad Obama enjoyed a day out on Memorial Day after his official duties. I obviously love the weekend. I choose to pay homage to our brave soldiers and then watch brave men and women in the Greatest Spectacle In Racing.

You didn't rile me up, it was your buddy Bush. :) I know there's no chance we'll ever agree on anything politically, but I just find it astonishing that anyone could defend Bush's exercise in golf deprivation. It may have been well intentioned, but it was seriously plain dumb and insulting.

I defend Bush's choice to spend his leisure time, however that might be defined for the leader of the free world, as he chose. Without the snipping that came no matter what that choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom