Go Obama!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the good news for your friend. As more people are purchasing health care directly prices would fall. Less paper and clerical work and competition with other providers for patients.

What evidence do you have of this? It doesn't happen now, why would it magically happen in the future?

I think you may be taking this video out of context. She's not saying they are carrying swastikas, as if they were nazis, she's saying they are carrying signs equating Obama, Dems, universal healthcare to nazism(with swastikas on them). And yes this has been happening. It's just an ignoranant form of protest, just like those that would call Bush "hitler".

And the right is twisting her words :shrug: nothing new.

Ok, to the conservatives:

HEALTH CARE IS A BASIC HUMAN RIGHT. WHAT WE HAVE NOW IS NOT WORKING.

Republicans are not offering any new plans or ideas, they are just yelling at the top of their lungs and stopping intelligent public discourse between people at town halls. Plus, there are much scarier things than the US Government.... insurance companies. :|

Republicans would point out that government run Medicaid and Medicare are bankrupting the entire country. How could expanding their role possibly be a good idea?

cutting to the chase, this is the real issue. health care costs are going to sky rocket, especially as life expectancy rockets into the 80s over the next 50 years.

it seems to me that the expansion of Medicad/Medicare-type programs, and increasing the role of government, is what is going to be needed precisely in order to save the American taxpayer and our proverbial, nostalgic "small business owner" as well as our corporations. there's no free market fix for this, and that's what the GOP doesn't seem to understand. it's not about generalities and catch phrases like "competition" and the "market" and other nonsense words like that -- the point has already been made that it's fine for specific products or drugs, not so fine for actually covering people.

where is this money going to come from is the big issue, and that's where i think the debate really lies. we're probably going to have a mix of public and private health care, much like most Western nations, and costs are going to go up and up and up.

so i say tax gasoline, tax marijuana, identify and track children at risk for obesity from the moment they enroll in Head Start, and raise the retirement age to 70. :shrug:

Plus, there are much scarier things than the US Government.... insurance companies. :|

it seems to me that the profit motive is what actually makes care worse.

take a look at New Orleans.

gee, sorry you lost your house, but you had *storm* coverage, not *flood* coverage, and it was technically the *flood* that swept your house and grandmother away, so we don't have to pay out a damn cent.

gee, sorry you lost your house, but you had *storm* coverage, not *flood* coverage, and it was technically the *flood* that swept your house and grandmother away, so we don't have to pay out a damn cent.

Not to play devils advocate here... but the government probably did a worse job in New Orelans than anyone else.... but this was of course the fault of our wonderful George W. :|

but seriously, I agree completely with you. The motive for profit does help for innovation in the free market but when you are dealing with human lives, profit has to take a back seat to humanity. This is why government needs to be involved either with more regulation or a public option.

Not to play devils advocate here... but the government probably did a worse job in New Orelans than anyone else.... but this was of course the fault of our wonderful George W. :|

in terms of the response, yes, but in terms of the aftermath, not as much. the insurance companies left everyone high and dry (ha) that they could.

i'm enjoying this discussion -- might it be moved to the Health Care thread?

i'm going to post an article there written by a former Bush white house speechwriter, and i think it's worth looking at.

it seems to me that the profit motive is what actually makes care worse.

Ah yes, Katrina. The model for state, local and federal government efficiency and cost management.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom