Go Obama!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In Turnaround, Cuba Agrees to Talks With U.S.

By Mary Beth Sheridan
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, May 31, 2009; 12:44 PM

Cuba has agreed to open talks with the United States on issues ranging from immigration to anti-narcotics cooperation and direct mail service , a senior State Department official said today, in a sign that the island's communist government is warming to President Obama's call for a new relationship after decades of tension.

The breakthrough came shortly before Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton left on a trip to Latin America, where she is expected to face pressure to make further gestures to Cuba, including allowing it into the Organization of American States.

A senior State Department official, briefing reporters on the condition of anonymity, called the Cuban moves "a very positive development" and added: "It's our hope this will be understood in the region in a positive way."

In an initial bid to launch a new relationship with Cuba, President Obama last month scrapped restrictions on Cuban Americans traveling to the island and sending money there. But he has said the United States will not lift its economic embargo until the government of Raul Castro improves its human-rights record and makes democratic reforms.

This is good.

Mitt Romney raps Barack Obama’s speechmaking style overseas
By Associated Press | Wednesday, June 3, 2009

WASHINGTON — Former Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney on Wednesday accused President Barack Obama of failing to sufficiently highlight America’s strengths in his travels and speeches around the world.

In an interview as Obama was flying to Saudi Arabia at the start of a Mideast trip, Romney said there’s nothing wrong with "showing our respect for the people in the world of Islam." But he also said he believes Obama was too apologetic about this country’s mistakes during a speech in France earlier this year.

Interviewed from Boston on NBC’s "Today" show as Obama set out on a tour that will include a speech in Egypt on U.S. relations with the Islamic world, Romney said that "of course, America makes mistakes." But he also said considers it inappropriate to "go around the world apologizing."

Romney, who unsuccessfully sought the Republican presidential nomination last year, said Obama should talk more about the sacrifices the United States has made on other nations’ behalf, such as during World War II, "what we have done in blood and sacrifice."

"I think it’s appropriate for him to describe the greatness of America," Romney said of Obama.

On another matter, he said moving General Motors Corp. into a bankruptcy and restructuring was "the right course," but said it should have been done sooner.

He called the federal investment in GM "really money down the drain. .... The government should get out right now."

"Look, I don’t want the Sierra Club telling General Motors what kind of cars they should build," Romney said.

Asked if he was already, in effect, running for the GOP presidential nod in 2012, Romney replied, "No, I’m looking right now at trying to get some Republicans getting elected in 2009 and 2010."

"And what happens later, ... that’s a very distant horizon."

Uhoh..I can imagine the Fox (and friends) freakouts over this :corn:

KING ABDULLAH: (As translated.) I thank you, Mr. President, for the kind words and the kind sentiments expressed within them. I am not surprised, given the historic and strategic ties between our two countries, I believe that go back to the time of the meeting between the late Franklin Delano Roosevelt and the late King Abdul-Aziz.

I also want to express my best wishes to the friendly American people who are represented by a distinguished man who deserves to be in this position.

PRESIDENT OBAMA: Shukran.

Update: 10:17 a.m. ET: "Shukran" means "thank you" in Arabic, Mont Mensoor, a teacher of the language at Washington, D.C.'s Berlitz Center, tells the Oval. The late King Abdul-Aziz was King Abdullah's father and the founder of Saudi Arabia.

I also want to express my best wishes to the friendly American people who are represented by a distinguished man who deserves to be in this position.

"a distinguished man who deserves to be in this position."

as opposed to who? or whom? that did not deserve to be in that position?

"We are 94 million miles from the sun, and are in-between the sun and moon,
and the eagle that flies between them and it's a giant step for mankind. ...
I have traveled thousands of miles to be here and know things that are going to happen. ...
the banking system will fail and people will die. ... there will be chaos in the world,"
"We are on a mission to kill the president of the United States,"

Man arrested, accused of threatening to kill Obama - CNN.com

the guy had sufficient financing,
weapons, understanding of astrophysics, international financing, and a partial recall of Stephen Stills lyrics - a little scary

Christ, I thought Joe Biden was the best insurance policy Obama could have.

Charging documents say Murray, originally from Rexford, N.Y., is the registered owner of eight guns.

He was described by his father and former neighbors in Rexford as troubled but not dangerous, known for strolling down a street wearing a cape while talking to himself.

"He's sick. He's been sick for about 10 years," Michael Murray, his father, told the Times Union of Albany, N.Y

"The right to bear arms shall not be abridged"

NRA - all the way!

USA
USA
USA

If anyone's interested Life Magazine has a beautiful special issue out about Michelle Obama. It's $12.00 but worth it-pictures I've never seen before and some good background info too. I love her. The photo on the front cover is the official portrait in the black Michael Kors dress.

has anyone mentioned the fact that Netanyahu has called for a 2 state solution?

because that's fairly huge, and a massive Obama victory.

two state solution :huh:

if the Palestinians put those same conditions on Israel,
Netty would start killing women and children again

(CNN) -- The chairman of Tennessee's Democratic Party wants a Republican legislative aide fired for sending out a "reprehensible" e-mail depicting President Obama as two cartoonish white eyes peering from a black background.

Obama's image is in the last square of a collage containing portraits of the previous 43 U.S. presidents. The e-mail, which was sent to other GOP staff members, was posted on the Internet Monday.

Sherri Goforth, an administrative assistant to state Sen. Diane Black, R-Gallatin, has admitted she sent the e-mail May 28 with the title "Historical Keepsake Photo." She said, without elaborating, that she mistakenly sent it "to the wrong list of people."

According to the Tennessean, a Nashville newspaper, a note on the e-mail said it was paid for by the Tennessee Republican Party, but GOP officials denied they produced it. Black leads the Tennessee Senate Republican Caucus.

There was no comment from the White House as of Tuesday afternoon.

Black rebuked Goforth but didn't dismiss her.

"I want to be sure that everyone understands that the communication was sent without my knowledge," Black said Tuesday afternoon. "It absolutely does not represent the beliefs or opinions of my office. I want to be very clear about that."

The senator said as soon as she found out about the e-mail, she consulted the Legislature's human resources office, then followed their advice.

"Ms. Goforth did get a verbal reprimand as well as a very strongly worded reprimand, written, that was put in her file that if this should ever occur again, that she would be terminated," Black said.

"This is an employee who has had a stellar record," Black said. She added that Goforth has worked in state government for more than 20 years, and has had a clean record.

"We followed policy. And that's what you do when someone breaks the rules, you follow policy," she said.

A phone message left for Goforth by CNN was not answered.

"Is this indicative of what Senate Republicans think about our commander-in-chief?" asked state Democratic Party Chairman Chip Forrester in a statement posted on the party's Web site.

"I am calling on Sen. Black to reject this racist smear and fire this staffer who, on state government time, on state government computers, using a state government e-mail account, launched this bigoted attack on our president," Forrester said. "Keeping her on the staff would send the message that this type of behavior is condoned by the Senate Republican Caucus."

"This e-mail is reprehensible, insults the office of the president, and is embarrassing to all Tennesseans regardless of political party," Forrester said.

Goforth told Christian Grantham of the Web site Nashville Is Talking that she had received a letter of reprimand from her superiors but will remain on the job.

Grantham said Goforth told him she felt "very bad about accidentally sending it to the wrong list" of people. "I inadvertently hit the wrong button," Grantham quoted Goforth as saying. "I'm very sick about it, and it's one of those things I can't change or take back."

Forrester, in his Web posting, said, "Ms. Goforth does not seem to understand what she did wrong. She has apologized for 'sending [the e-mail] to the wrong list of people.' I believe that any list of people would have recognized this e-mail as offensive and hateful."

State Rep. Johnny Shaw, D-Bolivar, a member of the black and Democratic caucuses, said Goforth should be dismissed.

"I don't think a reprimand is enough. I think this lady needs to go. I don't think she should be a part of the people who represent the state of Tennessee," Shaw said.

He said Goforth and Black, as well as Republican Lt. Gov. and Senate Speaker Ron Ramsey, should make public apologies for the incident.

"I am appalled. It's despicable. It's disgusting. It should not have happened, but it does happen," Shaw said. "It is the president of our country that we're talking about."

Several other black Democratic lawmakers agreed Goforth should quit.

"The last thing we need in the state of Tennessee is to send out the impression and the image that we are still stuck in some backwater mentality and culture that feels it's OK to depict the president of the United States in that fashion," state Rep. John Deberry Jr., D-Memphis, told CNN Radio.

Forrester added: "Unfortunately, Sherri Goforth's e-mail joins the list of shameful episodes by Tennessee Republicans, from the infamous 'Birds of a Feather' direct-mail piece that featured black crows with the heads of Barack Obama and [African-American] Rep. Nathan Vaughn, to the "Barack the Magic Negro" song that former Tennessee GOP Party Chairman Chip Saltsman sent to RNC members during his failed campaign for RNC chair."

art.tennessee.email.wkrn.jpg

Grantham said Goforth told him she felt "very bad about accidentally sending it to the wrong list" of people. "I inadvertently hit the wrong button," Grantham quoted Goforth as saying.

"Yes, I meant to send it to all my racist friends who find this kind of thing just hysterical!"

or did she maybe mean:

"I meant to send it to all my non-racist friends so they could agree with me about how awful it was."

Or maybe she's just confused as to which button is for "delete" and which is for "send to everyone I know."

(AP) The state NAACP is demanding an apology from a former South Carolina official whose Internet posting suggested a gorilla that escaped from the Columbia zoo was an ancestor of first lady Michelle Obama.

NAACP president Lonnie Randolph said Monday that former Election Commission chairman Rusty DePass has not offered a "proper" apology. Randolph says the NAACP isn't giving DePass undue attention, rather decrying racially charged commentary against the Obamas.

Minutes after the gorilla's escape was reported, DePass posted: "I'm sure it's just one of Michelle's ancestors - probably harmless."

The Facebook posting was captured on a South Carolina politics blog. DePass did not immediately return a call Monday, but he told WIS-TV that the posting was a joke.

I was going to post it in the Letterman thread but then I thought better than to do that...
I'm going to take all the posts from this point forward and move them into Headache's thread, where they belong. Can we keep all further discussion of this Palin/Letterman feud in that thread, please--no reason for it to take over this one.

Hi deep. I'm a bit out of the loop on multiple levels due to my travels, but other than that I am fine, thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom