Globalization

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I know a little bit about globalization, basically that it makes the world dependent on each other's economies. How can this be a good thing? I suppose that countries will 'help' each other more, but aren't countries with really good economies just sacrificing a lot to be dependent on countries that have terrible economies? What's the advantage?

------------------
"Just tell 'em what they wanna hear & nobody will complain."

Lilly, I can't believe I'm about to say this:
smile.gif

I agree with you.

i guess the arguement is what we had hundreds of years ago - federalisation - should states come together and form a nation?

The arguement is that people with common goals and objectives can work together for a common wealth. Now we are just moving the boundaries out from the edges of our nations and into a larger "global" pool. in a way, no different than the states of the US coming together like they did all that time ago.

The idea is that this common wealth means that the world is more able to cope with disasters or failures, nmore able to share its resources and people, more able to appreciate its cultures and environment. Economics and trade are a big part of globalisation, but they are not the only thing.

Globalisation means that people care about what goes on in the middle east, in afghanistan, in zimbabwe, when in actual fact it may have no direct bearing on their own lives whatsoever.

Originally posted by zoomerang II:
Globalisation means that people care about what goes on in the middle east, in afghanistan, in zimbabwe, when in actual fact it may have no direct bearing on their own lives whatsoever.
You don't have to believe in economic globalization to care about what goes on in the middle east, in afghanistan, in zimbabwe. I am not a globalist, but i care about what goes on there.

Originally posted by Lilly:
but aren't countries with really good economies just sacrificing a lot to be dependent on countries that have terrible economies? What's the advantage?
umm, the idea about globalisation is that progressions are made globally, not just your own country

personally I'm very skeptical about economic globalisation since there is no sign most (if any) countries are willing to work for an overall better standard of life if it could lead to any setback (how little it may be) to its own economic situation

I think it's a nice idea, but won't work in my lifetime

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
Lilly, I can't believe I'm about to say this:
smile.gif

I agree with you.

*gasp* *shock* *other extremely surprised synonyms*

This is SO going on my U2 calendar....

------------------
"Just tell 'em what they wanna hear & nobody will complain."

Originally posted by Lilly:
but aren't countries with really good economies just sacrificing a lot to be dependent on countries that have terrible economies?

This is to look at it from "our side" (assuming you are in a developed nation). Conversely, however, developing nations in theory would benefit from a more globalized world--as a simple example, new manufacturing jobs in Africa could be created to make goods later sold in the U.S.
I say "in theory" because I agree with Salome that it would be difficult to create a truly beneficial, globalized world; I don't think, however, that it's impossible.

.......oh hell, I didn't want to post.....

[This message has been edited by Lilly (edited 04-02-2002).]

We already live in a globalized world. The interdependent nature of the world or at least industrialized nations is a big reason why the USA went to war in World War I and World War II. During the Cold war, are relationships with many countries around the world increased as the USA united as many countries as it could to defeat Communism in every part of the globe. The importance of having free trade and market economies and democracies in as many places as possible as a wall against Communist expansion became a key objective. So globalization I say is basically here and has been here for a very long time.
Nearly 2 Trillion dollars of US GDP is created from exports of goods and services to other countries! EXPORTS create jobs and wealth. Free Trade also creates competion which is great for the consumer, because in the long wrong we get products that are less expensive and better quality.
I can't really think of Globalization not making sense. Would it make sense for Mississippi to put up trade barriers and prevent people from other states trying to come there and work. I think not. What works on the Domestic level is good for the international level, although it will take decades to change undeveloped area's of the world.
But Globalization is process that has been going for over a century and will continue forever. As the years go by, more and more parts of the world will be touched by it. There are multi-national corporations all over the world. Corporations from different countries often merge with each other to become more effective in the business world.
My sister currently works in Dublin for a British accounting firm. An American working for the British in Ireland. Yes that is where we are at. That is globalization and the Brit Firm is lucky to have my sister working for them, just has the Irish business section in Dublin is lucky as well. So I ask those who oppose globalization, what is wrong with that? I hope to eventually work overseas as well, whether its for an American firm or a foreign firm.
I find protectionism to be silly and this idea that you should only do business in your countries borders or face a tarrif on your goods. Thats like saying U2 should have tarrifs on their albums and tickets because they are from Ireland and not the USA. As a US consumer though, I would rather buy U2 than any American band and should not have to pay a tarrif on their products because they are from another country. Of course that is not a problem, but I think it points out how silly protectionism is.
Globalism is great and is a natural result of business and what is good for business. Its not really about a philsophical pursuit of a more stable world. But then again that is a result of a globalism, but not why it is happening. Just like U2 travels across the world to increase its album sales and spread its music to new people, so do other businesses in other industry's. They do so because of the rewards and profits that are gained from doing so. Globalism is a result of captitalism. Some day there will be One world not three.

Back
Top Bottom