Global Pandemic Part IV: IV Experimental Cocktails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got an appointment this Saturday in Danvers through the text . It was the place that came up, I think you have to just take what they give you. I have a site much closer, but I definitely take what I can get. As a person with anxiety the whole process is tough to deal with, let alone covid.

It's Pfizer. Had two more appointments at Walgreens this morning, then poof they were gone when I clicked on them. They said it was Johnson and Johnson too.

So relieved that it makes me emotional. Might cry when I get it too.

I am impressed, Baker waited his turn and is getting vaccinated today. Not taking advantage of his position.

Great news.
Like I said, I've heard the Danvers site runs very smoothly.

Biden wants vaccines open to all adults on April 19 now, instead of May 1st.

The sooner the better, works for me :up:.

Apparently my aunt and uncle are now going to get vaccines, which makes me feel a lot better. I don't know what changed their minds, but whatever it was, hopefully it'll encourage others who've been resistant as well.

Tomorrow my mom and I get our first doses. Looking forward to finally joining the rest of you guys who've done it already :).

The sooner the better, works for me :up:.

Apparently my aunt and uncle are now going to get vaccines, which makes me feel a lot better. I don't know what changed their minds, but whatever it was, hopefully it'll encourage others who've been resistant as well.

Tomorrow my mom and I get our first doses. Looking forward to finally joining the rest of you guys who've done it already :).

That's great!

we were in "lockdown" until 2 weeks ago, they allowed outdoor social distanced patio dining for like 10 days and now we're going into "emergency brakes lockdown" on saturday whatever the hell that means yayyyy

and now as of 12:01 am tomorrow we're going from "emergency brakes lockdown" to "stay at home lockdown". what a fucking joke. :rolleyes:

and now as of 12:01 am tomorrow we're going from "emergency brakes lockdown" to "stay at home lockdown". what a fucking joke. :rolleyes:

Are you in a hot spot? I'm "lucky" that both my residential postal code and work postal code are in hot spots. My work one has got to be sorted in one of the worst hit neighbourhoods which will be open for 18+ very soon I imagine.

Last year we ended up selling our house and buying another one because we just couldn't handle not having two dedicated home offices. By Toronto standards we have a really large property now given that it's an 8-10 min walk from two subway stations on the Bloor line and I really feel for you if you are stuck in a condo. It's honestly so oppressive already.

i am in a hot spot at home, but not at work, though that probably makes no difference considering i haven't set foot in the office in over a year. it's kind of a shitty conflicting feeling that this (likely) improvement in my own personal situation is only going to happen because things are getting worse overall, but at this point i'll take whatever i can get.

Great, I cancelled my appointment for Pfizer because I got a J&J appointment next week. Much closer for me, and I love not having to go back a second time because it's anxiety provoking for me.

After more than a year of this stuff, I am fresh out of the f;&:?s. Hopefully I won't faint or get blood clots from the damn shot.

For those of you who are fully vaxxed and have kids - how safe would you feel traveling or doing large group type activities with kids who are unvaccinated? Realistically we won't have kids start getting vaccinated until probably the fall for the 12-16 group and 2022 for younger kids. In Israel they're giving immunity passports to kids who have had COVID (attached to their parents' passport) but generally speaking that's going to be a fairly low number.

For those of you who are fully vaxxed and have kids - how safe would you feel traveling or doing large group type activities with kids who are unvaccinated? Realistically we won't have kids start getting vaccinated until probably the fall for the 12-16 group and 2022 for younger kids. In Israel they're giving immunity passports to kids who have had COVID (attached to their parents' passport) but generally speaking that's going to be a fairly low number.
We're still taking precautions (i.e. masks, outdoor dining and activities whenever possible, socially distanced when not) buuuuuuut we're on vacation right now.

This thing just hasn't impacted young kids on any significant level. Certainly no more than the flu - and we wouldn't cancel our vacations if there was a bad flu going around.

I'll be honest I was a little taken aback at sheer lack of precautions being taken where we are, bit we adapted - and once we got past Saturday it's calmed down considerably so much easier to stay cautioned.

Obviously there's a risk - but mostly that risk is that there will be a positive test and they'll have to stay home from school for a few days after returning. We have tests lined up for 3 days after our return.

https://newrepublic.com/article/162...=EB_TNR&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1618244062

I think it's very important, even as the United States is finally getting vaccines rolled out on a mass scale, to try to learn from the experience and understand why things were botched so badly. It came in many forms, and one of the ones that has been overlooked has been the pure greed of those at the top of these industries. Big pharma's insistence, aided and abetted by Bill Gates, that intellectual property must be maintained through this entire process, has had a massive negative effect. It's one of the main reasons that the vaccine rollout is being entirely focused on wealthy nations, and that poorer nations will be last in line and may not see vaccines until 2022 or 2023.

That he is the subject of baseless and absurd conspiracies from some corners of the Internet should not result in his abhorrent behavior in bending the response in favor of the entrenched power of the large pharmaceutical companies. This is an excellent, albeit long read, that gets to the heart of the matter.

This is a very good point.

Realistically we can’t expect Western governments to be sending vaccine doses to the developing world while their populations are not finished being vaccinated. It would be political suicide. And as they finish, you’ll see regional help before international - the wealthier EU nations will assist the more problematic ones, the US will preferentially sell vaccines to Mexico & Canada first out of self-interest and for economic reasons. So you’ll see Africa, South America, Asia fall further and further behind.

That’s why the big pharma companies should heavily be pressured to release the patents. If we don’t want to/can’t provide vaccines to the developing world, we should at a minimum help them in producing for themselves. A country like India has a huge capacity to produce vaccines, for example. And if that pressure has to come via tax breaks or similar incentive credits, I still think it would be worth it. Not because I care to further enrich the big pharma executives but because on a global level, we won’t see any kind of normal so long as the developing world is unvaccinated.

Imagine a variant worse than the Brazilian one against which the mRNA vaccines are ineffective? One flight arriving into NYC and the whole country is fucked again. Any thinking person must realize that we could easily find ourselves in this position. The whole world must be vaccinated ASAP - anything short of that is living in delusion.

Headache - are you guys vacationing inside the US or abroad? I would also not hesitate to go away given that our kids actually had COVID, but I’d be somewhat reluctant to go anywhere that has high enough infection rates to basically require us to only be able to enjoy like 10% of facilities, etc.

Headache - are you guys vacationing inside the US or abroad? I would also not hesitate to go away given that our kids actually had COVID, but I’d be somewhat reluctant to go anywhere that has high enough infection rates to basically require us to only be able to enjoy like 10% of facilities, etc.

Domestic. We considered Mexico, since that was the trip we were planning last April that was obviously cancelled (we thankfully had purchased travel insurance out of the recommendation of an agent "just in case this coronavirus thing becomes a problem").

DC has a very weird spring break, in that it's this week - whereas most schools build there's around Easter/Passover. In this instance it was terrific because most of the crowds left. It was a bit busier than we'd have liked Saturday but the last two days were empty. Leaving tomorrow so we can have enough time to get the kids tested before going back to school.

DC will have full day in person for the first time next week, albeit at limited capacity. We were lucky enough to grab a kindergarten seat when it went to half day in January so we get to keep it now.

I'll tell you - Capitol Hill virtual PTA meetings are a wild scene.

I’ve been saying free the patents since day 1.

It’s so obvious, and yet the US and EU are heavily lobbying against it.

The thing is: they don’t need to authorize the use of patents. There is a precedent in HIV drugs, which had the same access issues in the developing world. But unfortunately countries like Brazil and India are not pushing now like they did in the past (the former because of its ignoramus in office and the latter because it has deals to produce the AZ vaccine in its labs).

FDA and CDC have temporarily suspended the J&J vaccine.

http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/s0413-JJ-vaccine.html

This is pretty devastating because it was really the best hope for the developing world - one and done, no need for liquid nitrogen storage. Just sucks.

ETA: Also devastating for the EU, which to my understanding is yet to sign a Novavax contract. Novavax will be approved by the UK and Canada in the next 2-3 weeks. It's a protein subunit vaccine (so not like J&J and AZ) and while it does require 2 doses, it doesn't need special storage. The efficacy is about the same as Pfizer/Moderna. The US also has a deal since it's being produced domestically.

Last edited:
FDA and CDC have temporarily suspended the J&J vaccine.

http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/s0413-JJ-vaccine.html

I cancelled my appointment as soon as I saw that on CNN this morning. I had already read about the blood clot issue, and the fainting at some sites(that could have been caused by waiting in the heat). But I wanted the one dose to make it less anxiety provoking for me.

Luckily I was able to get an appointment nearby for either the Pfizer or Moderna a week from today, at a facility run by a hospital. Took lots of trying but it eventually worked for me, luckily.

This is a big problem, the J&J was being relied upon to get more people vaccinated more quickly.

Its 6 cases out of 7 million...so not convinced the risk of delaying versus protection it can provide balances.

As for the EU, they've spent months rubbishing AZ, of which they have 20 odd million doses that haven't been used in various storage locations.

Irrespective of the merits of the decision, it's wild how they did not anticipate the reaction that is now taking over, which will undermine confidence in the vaccines. Look at Europe! The very same thing happened a few weeks ago and they haven't learned from it at all, in terms of how to manage public expectations for a 1-1,000,000 event.

Gonna take the other side ... 6 cases in 7,000,000 doesn’t guarantee that you haven’t created averse conditions within the 7,000,000 that aren’t the first 6. Time tells. You don’t know what you don’t know.

6 could quickly turn into 60,000 impacted individuals (not deaths) and then all of the sudden the appropriate course of action wasn’t a vaccine but the less respected “lockdown.”

This is what the European Commission seems to have studied about the AZ vaccine with their midterm takeaway of “the complications are still better than Covid.” That’s not a simple measurement of deaths versus deaths. They’ve got to be considering far more.

Anyways, I wouldn’t know if it’s the right call, I’m not the public health person. You recall cars if you think they have a fleet wide problem. You return them to service if they pass an inspection. How they “regain” public trust is a tactic they must employ.

I'm broadly of the same view, and can't judge the health imperative one way or another. But they have to better understand the current environment of how people will react to the news, and plan accordingly, and have very clear (and rapid) message on what this means, which does not seem to have been the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom