Global Pandemic Part IV: IV Experimental Cocktails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t be short w me

fc40abc82b3d066fac81ddc2d4415fd2.gif

Dave, I'm betting you'll get your shot in May.

Things are moving very quickly now, particularly since the elderly appear to have higher than expected vaccine hesitancy for a whole whack of reasons. Toronto is open for 60+ at mass sites, some of the hospitals have moved down to 50+ or 55+ as of today, just a matter of time.

Now watch everyone take the Easter weekend off as if there isn't a fucking pandemic.

Got my double dose of Bill Gates nanobots a few hours ago.

Vaccinated people, let's talk amongst ourselves.

electrical+beings.jpg

With apologies for the total privileged question I am asking, but there are now available appointments for both Pfizer and J&J in my area and we are really struggling with our decision. I have an appointment for Pfizer tomorrow but could likely get a J&J for early next week. It's kind of a hard call. Any (scientifically-informed) advice?

I got J&J. Definitely had some side effects (fatigue, somewhat intense muscle ache, soreness) but nowhere near what the Moderna 2 people sometimes describe.

I probably at the time would have chosen Pfizer if given the option, but I can’t find anything that makes a convincing case that J&J isn’t good enough, and it’s a more “traditional” vaccination, which I kind of like. And I’m done. At 3 weeks in, I’m about as immune as I’m ever going to need. My husband has to go back next weekend for #2.

Nothing scientific there, but some thoughts.

I’d get the soonest one available.

Thanks, Headache and anitram. Appreciate it. And again, I do realize how privileged it is to even ask the question, given how many people - including most of my family - are unable to get a shot.

I got Moderna and yesterday was brutal. Bad chills, fever hovering between 100 and 102. Started around 5 am and lasted till around 8 pm.

All good today, though - and obviously a day of bad chills is better than a ventilator or dying. But yea, it was no bueno

How did you get your second shot so quickly? Or are you having side effects many days after the vaccine?

I'm glad I got Pfizer instead of J&J. I've been talking up the innovations of mRNA tech for the past year (I see it as a powerful ally against cancer), so when it came time to give it a spin, it was there and the side effects weren't too bad. The efficacy data they're delivering is fantastic and the shot seems to offer some long term protection.

Honestly, I'm just really happy and grateful to be alive and in the position I'm in today. And if you remember how I was talking a year ago, that's an amazing turnaround.

Last edited:
Honestly, I'm just really happy and grateful to be alive and in the position I'm in today. And if you remember how I was talking a year ago, that's an amazing turnaround.

Glad to hear you're in a much better place mentally. I think most of us are compared to 1 year ago, but for folks like yourself who this thing took a heavier than average toll on mentally, the vaccine roll outs (and better Federal approach/response to things) certainly are providing some real hope not just for the end of this pandemic, but as you mention for future use fighting other ailments.
We're close to putting this unfortunate chapter in history in the rear view mirror.

Dave, I'm betting you'll get your shot in May.

Things are moving very quickly now, particularly since the elderly appear to have higher than expected vaccine hesitancy for a whole whack of reasons. Toronto is open for 60+ at mass sites, some of the hospitals have moved down to 50+ or 55+ as of today, just a matter of time.

Now watch everyone take the Easter weekend off as if there isn't a fucking pandemic.

i really hope you're right, but i'm not optimistic. i'll be pleasantly surprised if i have a shot in my arm before canada day.

i just took a trip to the grocery store in liberty village (downtown-ish toronto for those of you from away) and walked past a couple of the patios - they're all completely full and lineups for all of them are down the block and around the corner. not many people in line are wearing masks either, even though you need one to get a table. the lines are good for the places that were told they could re-open on the 12th, so they bought food/kegs and rehired staff, only to be told a couple of days later that they are all closing down again - for example someone on reddit mentioned yesterday that in anticipation of reopening on the 12th, their restaurant in the core tapped 23 kegs already (seems dumb to me to tap them so early but i don't run a restaurant) that they now can't return and need to get rid of somehow, because they don't have a patio and thus have no way of serving any customers. but i'm also concerned that this is going to cause the numbers to spike again over the next few weeks, they'll plateau and fall, and we'll do this you-can-open-psyche-no-you-can't crap all over again in may/june.

it's so frustrating to be stuck in this holding pattern until some indeterminate time in the future when someone says i am finally allowed to get vaccinated. from where i sit, it feels like everywhere else is coming out of this fucking pandemic, except toronto. my parents are fully vaccinated in nova scotia, my stepsiblings who are my age are waiting for their second dose, and they have basically fully re-opened everything. it seems pretty much everyone else on here has at least one shot. i should be clear, i don't want anyone here to think that i resent this, i'm genuinely very happy for you all. i just wish i had some sort of concrete idea of when i can get there too. :sigh:

Last edited:
it's so frustrating to be stuck in this holding pattern until some indeterminate time in the future when someone says i am finally allowed to get vaccinated. from where i sit, it feels like everywhere else is coming out of this fucking pandemic, except toronto. my parents are fully vaccinated in nova scotia, my stepsiblings who are my age are waiting for their second dose, and they have basically fully re-opened everything. it seems pretty much everyone else on here has at least one shot. i should be clear, i don't want anyone here to think that i resent this, i'm genuinely very happy for you all. i just wish i had some sort of concrete idea of when i can get there too. :sigh:

It really is and I feel for you. I'd probably be irate if it weren't for having had COVID so I feel somewhat more lax about when I'll vaccinate and in truth I hope that it's once the J&J is here as I don't want to be dosed twice.

Another issue here is that there is no coherent message. Public health units are all doing their own thing with their clinics, hospitals are doing another, pharmacies another and you need to be basically glued to your computer/twitter to figure out when and if you are eligible to sign up. We are now in Phase 2, which according to the province means everyone 60+, high risk groups, caretakers of those with high risk conditions and front line workers. As far as I can tell we're all on 60+ now, those under 60 but with medical conditions can sign up at certain places but not other, the clinics delivering exclusively Moderna had to shut down for 4 days due to a delay in delivery, we now have one hospital in Toronto open to everyone 50+, another two that are vaccinating "hot zones" (my postal code got identified as one) - anyone over 50 and so on. It's basically incomprehensible.

My parents are in the GTA and both received their first vaccine and all my aunts/uncles, in-laws over 60 have as well. I'll really be surprised if we're still waiting by the time May is done.

My parents got their second Pfizer dose on Wednesday. My dad has an enlarged lymph node and my mom had slight muscular pain, but other than that nothing else. Way better than feeling like shit.

Vaccine distribution is speeding up here. They administered 10,000 J&J doses at our biggest convention center the other day. The traffic just to get there makes me optimistic that there are a lot of people here that want to get vaccinated.

As for me, I’ve had the antibodies since December.
Really looking forward to getting vaccinated.

. my parents are fully vaccinated in nova scotia, my stepsiblings who are my age are waiting for their second dose, and they have basically fully re-opened everything. it seems pretty much everyone else on here has at least one shot. i should be clear, i don't want anyone here to think that i resent this, i'm genuinely very happy for you all. i just wish i had some sort of concrete idea of when i can get there too. :sigh:

I know its a very long trip, but could you use your parents address in NS to get an appointment then drive home for a long weekend or something?

And I'm still waiting for my eligibility here in MA, but should be able to try and schedule something next week, hopefully its not a complete shitshow. But they are opening up on Monday to folks with 1 comorbidity (currently need 2, or to be 60+ or certain occupations), and they just decided today to expand the list of approved afflictions to now include a bunch more.
So its basically going to open up to almost anyone (smoker current or former for example is one of the approved health risks so you can just say "I smoked when I was young" and you can schedule a shot), I'm expecting it to be tough to get an appointment for a while.
I've been doing dry runs this week to try and gauge when they add appointments at the site in my town, hope I can score a slot like scoring GA U2 tix.
I know several people who have "bent" the eligibility rules. I almost feel like a fool for following them.

I know its a very long trip, but could you use your parents address in NS to get an appointment then drive home for a long weekend or something?

the issue is that crossing almost any provincial border in canada, via any method, requires a self-isolation period of 14 days. i might ignore that rule for quebec since i'd just be driving through but even respecting it for the "maritime bubble" would mean sitting around in a hotel room in edmundston NB for 2 weeks and that's gonna get a hard no from me dawg.

that self-isolation rule is the reason my wedding has been postponed twice now - anyone from my family who wants to come would have to arrive at least 2 weeks early and then self-isolate for another 2 weeks when they get back to halifax. it's not a huge issue for my retired parents, but much harder for my siblings and their kids and i don't really want to have *the* wedding without them there. we're just going to get legally married this summer at city hall or something and then have the ceremony and party next summer when everyone is vaccinated and the rule is gone and we can do it like we originally planned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom