Global Pandemic Part IV: IV Experimental Cocktails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If there was some sort of global joint plan, which clearly there isn't.

I mean, that's what COVAX is doing, and how some poorer countries have been able to get their only doses so far. Eventually it will get to J&J but supply is so limited. AZ is also easier to distribute.

Looks like they read Gump's post... announced today that they're giving some AZ shots to Mexico.

Thankfully. I assume Canada will be next. We could use some in Brazil right now.

Also, while I see Gump's point, if the AZ vaccine is having all these issues in Europe, maybe not sending those doses to Africa or wherever is the right call for the time being regardless, at least until they get everything sorted out with it.

From what I've read, this seems like a huge overreaction by the EU given the actual numbers, and most epidemiologists are puzzled at their decision too suspend it.

This is an excellent thread on the supply issues, AZ safety issues, and where we stand:
https://twitter.com/zeynep/status/1372164756648423431?s=20

Last edited:
Received my second dose of Pfizer today. I am now fully chipped and now Zuck can track my every step and cater advertising to all my or his needs.

Just kidding.. or am I...

I’m just waiting for side effects. So far nothing has happened.

My favorite thing about the microchip theory is that everyone posts that theory from their smartphone.

My favorite thing about the microchip theory is that everyone posts that theory from their smartphone.

lol

I have seen my share of QAnon Trumper types advocate for going full on desktop with a VPN. Just so no one will be able to track how much time they spend watching Pawn Stars on Peacock.

https://twitter.com/erictopol/status/1373387848372482049?s=21

Just get your shots as soon as you can and let’s be done of this.

Probably as close to a miracle as I’ll ever see or as close as one can ever be defined are these vaccines.

Imagine where we would be right now if they didn’t work or it took the average time for a vaccine (8ish years). Even harder and scarier to imagine sans covid vaccine, imagine if Trump were still in charge.... total societal collapse

Last edited:
https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centre/press-releases/2021/astrazeneca-us-vaccine-trial-met-primary-endpoint.html

AZ's vaccine is looking good from the US trial. Just got to see what the whole EU wrangle about it results in. Considering how badly they have publicly doubted it ,when they do finally get the doses to vaccinate with they are going to have and currently have real issues in selling it to their public.

The best of best news that I've seen is that the overwhelming majority of cases that are causing some plateaus or small spikes in certain states are from "the youngs."

They're not only the least likely to get seriously I'll, but they also haven't been vaccinated yet. You're not seeing an increase in "the olds," which is phenomenal news.

Keep those shots rolling out. We're sooo close to dipping below last April's numbers.

Last edited:
At this point I wish they would just open eligibility to everyone as that would help curb the spread amongst those younger people who are out and about.

At this point I wish they would just open eligibility to everyone as that would help curb the spread amongst those younger people who are out and about.

They have to stagger it because of the roll out of the supply, its been getting much better, but its not like there's 200 million doses in the freezer at Mar a Lago that can just be given out. Still have to prioritize for a while.

Let’s just hope this thing doesn’t hit the mutation jackpot of more infectious and wipe out vaccine gains. It’ll probably eventually lower the vaccine protection over time but then the Hope is over time our bodies react to this as another common cold. But my assumption is that’ll take decades.

The AZ data looks good. About 80% protection against symptoms, and another 100% protection from severe illness and death.

Assuming we do have the dosage from the other three to cover our asses, send it out to the world and let’s beat this thing

The AZ data looks good.

4d32-d05e-47c5-b3d5-45d3b3d22ffd

https://www.forbes.com/sites/siladi...-us-trial-results-niaid-says/?sh=5ca83d305729

The incompetence at AstraZeneca has been stunning.

They fucked up the UK trial by mistakenly administering half the first dose, so they had to use Brazilian data exclusively (which accounts for their low numbers). Now they've again had a data reporting issue. It really doesn't instill confidence.

But also what we have to remember and hold true after this pandemic is over is that pharma companies MUST go back to getting vaccine approvals in the ordinary course. They are already chomping at the bit at the idea of releasing everything faster, with less scrutiny because it's considerably cheaper and easier to flood the marketplace this way. The governments have to make clear that shortcuts were appropriate in a global pandemic context and that is IT.

I keep seeing optimism at a national level about vaccine supply, but I am certainly failing to see that at the state level. In PA, the counties surrounding Philadelphia are maintaining that they cannot even get through the 1A category for 3-5 months. That's just 1A! That would mean 1B and 1C follow before there would be enough supply to get through everyone.

No one under the age of 65 without one of the qualifying medical issues is eligible to sign up for anything, and it seems that the only reason they will eventually be able to get it is because of the May 1 requirement. But it seems highly likely that when the floodgates open on May 1, there won't be anywhere close to enough of a supply to get people vaccinated. The most optimistic prediction right now, and this is optimism based on projected increases of supply, is that perhaps everyone who wants one could get through the process by mid-fall.

That would be a major failure for Biden Administration if it's pushed to fall.

I believe all three vaccine players are expecting major increases in supply during April. Texas just announced that they will be openly up the vaccine to all available citizens soon. I would expect CA to announce something similar soon.

I got annoyed that my company told us back in mid February that we'd be next on the list since we are critical manufacturing, and then there was no reason given as to why we were skipped over on the latest round. My assumption is states pushed to get teachers and those with health issues up the pecking order.

I'd like to get the shot immediately but I also just moved to a more open space where I'm not sharing hallways, elevators, or garages with anyone. I feel completely safe and can manage to hold out a bit longer now. But understand the frustration for those who aren't as fortunate to avoid human contact

I keep seeing optimism at a national level about vaccine supply, but I am certainly failing to see that at the state level. In PA, the counties surrounding Philadelphia are maintaining that they cannot even get through the 1A category for 3-5 months. That's just 1A! That would mean 1B and 1C follow before there would be enough supply to get through everyone.

No one under the age of 65 without one of the qualifying medical issues is eligible to sign up for anything, and it seems that the only reason they will eventually be able to get it is because of the May 1 requirement. But it seems highly likely that when the floodgates open on May 1, there won't be anywhere close to enough of a supply to get people vaccinated. The most optimistic prediction right now, and this is optimism based on projected increases of supply, is that perhaps everyone who wants one could get through the process by mid-fall.

The data is certainly strange at this point, but I think the expectation is that vaccine supply will exponentially increase between now and May. I am not familiar with state-to-state differences, but I think in most places a pretty large number of people are already eligible because of the various sub-categories (including employment related) that now make the cut.

In NYC, for example, de Blasio said last week that 80% of adults were already eligible - I don't know how he got to that number (I assume it's a combination of so many categories of employment now being eligible, like education, civil servants, grocery stores, etc). So perhaps the "floodgates" will not be as large as we envision because a lot of people may already be eligible. The 50+ year-olds I know did not have much trouble getting appointments for this week once the eligibility date went down from 60 to 50..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom