Global Pandemic Part IV: IV Experimental Cocktails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The early reports were true, Boris rushed out to give an urgent press conference announcing the tier 4 lockdown to begin on Thursday, ending December 2nd.

It’s coincided on the day that the UK has surpassed 1m cases and Australia posted 0 community transmissions for the first time since June.

Wish my family were here with me, just have to hope they’ll get through and have some semblance of a Christmas this year.

I am sorry.

I love Christmas and although it’s been clear for months that it just won’t be normal, I still find it hard to cope with. We are actually considering pulling our kids from school/daycare a week early so that we can self isolate for 2 weeks and then at least have my parents over. My in laws live out of town unfortunately and travel this year is obviously a no go.

He's such a clown

New York(CNN Business)Dr. Scott Atlas, an adviser on the White House Coronavirus Task Force, apologized after appearing in an interview with Russian state broadcaster RT, just days before Election Day.

In his apology, Atlas claimed he was unaware RT was a registered foreign agent.

RT is owned by Russian state-owned news agency RIA Novosti and subsidiary RT America is registered with the US Justice Department as an agent of the Russian government. The Kremlin uses RT to spread English-language propaganda to American audiences, and was part of Russia's election meddling in 2016, according to a 2017 report from the US Office of the Director of National Intelligence.

103k cases today. Look at these curves.

EmBNma5VcAA0lLC

And half of the country seems to be content with this.

On another forum where I participate a poster actually posted that she laughs at people who think anything could have been done about covid other than not letting people from China in.

And that there's nothing we can do about covid until it decides to leave. Yep :crack: :doh:

No wonder we are so screwed.

Pfizer vaccine looking good from the interim analysis, 90% effective.

Some good news for a change regarding treatment and hopefully more data is released and reviewed.

My family has been hit by covid

Mom and dad positive this weekend

My mom got it from her 95 year old mom, who test positive while going into hospital for a broken hip

Grandma got it from my aunt who visited her two weeks ago and wasn’t feeling well. Thought it was allergies.

My aunt got it from another aunt who hosted a dinner.

So two sets of aunts and uncles is where it started. They are all sick, but seem to be slowly feeling better. The men suffered the worst of symptoms.

Grandma apparently feeling like a bad cold while she’s resting after surgery.

My mom has bronchitis and recovering from that so she’s not sure if her cough is any better worse after testing positive

My dad hasn’t been tested yet only cause mom found out yesterday but have to assume since they share house and were driving around in car all weekend for errands.

My parents are upper 60s. My mom has the worst of health issues with being former smoker, type 2 diabetes, and lung issues (bronchitis is a regular thing, and she gets the flu pretty bad each year). My dad still smokes and gets the occasional cold.

Obviously my concern is a severe case of this wiping them out but also the potential that even if it comes and goes, what does it do to their health moving forward ? How much damage does it do to their immune system or organs when the next bout of bronchitis or flu hit ?

Anyway, it’s completely up to nature at this point. Cross whatever bridge is in front of us, but of course hope for the best

They all live in Des Moines Iowa which has given up on controlling the pandemic and instead want people to learn to live with it.

I’m clearly annoyed with our federal and state governments, but also annoyed with my aunts and uncles for still getting together when they weren’t feeling well.

You can’t just assume it’s a allergy or cold during a pandemic

Fingers crossed that they all recover and don't have serious long-term effects.

I was hopeful that after COVID, people would at least learn to use their better judgment when heading to work or family gatherings while sick. I'm pretty sure we've all been at work in winter with people coming in with colds, flu and hacking their lungs out. And if you ever entered a daycare or a school in winter months, 90% of the kids had runny noses, coughs, etc. A huge problem has been that employers make people feel terrible for calling in sick, so hey, let's infect the whole office.

But I'm losing that hope because stories like BEAL's are anything but unique. There's a lot of "oh, it's just a cold/cough" and going to visit people with reckless disregard for consequences. If people can't even be bothered to stay at home while sick during a global pandemic, why the hell do we think they'll do so if/when a vaccine is out and we return to whatever normal will be.

To bring more clarity too

Everyone who’s been sick has taken this thing seriously. They don’t consider it a flu or a hoax

But they let their guards down. Thinking of this sore throat or headache is due to the weather. Family is a tough one to be away from or let go of. They still should have been smarter but i don’t hold any ill will towards them either. They didn’t do it on purpose

Grandma wants to die haha. After grandpa died a year ago she wakes up every day, lights a candle by his picture and prays to join him

But she keeps on ticking. Blood clots, broken hip, and now covid.

I think thanksgiving and Christmas will set this country’s covid response back a ton. Very few will want to be away from family. Very few will want to cancel Friends-giving for large groups.

It’ll be great when the Biden team takes over. To have useful knowledge and data shared with everyone. To have a plan that adapts and makes sense at the time it’s given.

Of course who knows what the Trump admin or congress will do to obstruct any Biden covid response.

Biden says covid relates medical costs should be free, and same with vaccine.

Can the GOP Congress or courts stop something like that ?

Really hope things work out for your family, BEAL.

Ashley's family came out to visit from Indiana two weeks ago and she's had a lingering cough ever since. Her mom had dizziness and nausea for several days but seems to be actively refusing to get tested for whatever reason and it's quite upsetting. I have been battling cold/allergy symptoms that aren't sufficiently explained by anything in particular. The two of us are getting tested later this afternoon.

Really hope things work out for your family, BEAL.

Ashley's family came out to visit from Indiana two weeks ago and she's had a lingering cough ever since. Her mom had dizziness and nausea for several days but seems to be actively refusing to get tested for whatever reason and it's quite upsetting. I have been battling cold/allergy symptoms that aren't sufficiently explained by anything in particular. The two of us are getting tested later this afternoon.

I hope so too BEAL

And I hope you and Ashley test negative. Sorry that her Mom won't get tested.

These are just horrible times.

Pfizer vaccine looking good from the interim analysis, 90% effective.

I hope and pray it will work out. That multiple companies will be successful.

I believe that President Biden (hopefully....I am honestly nervous about Trump's legal bullshit) will be far more competent regarding covid. Of course perhaps even a trained monkey would be better than the Trump administration in that regard.

To further explicate this great Pfizer news, one of the most important features of the vaccine is that it is based on mRNA rather than DNA. This article gives a thorough overview of the differences, but I will break down a few of the highlights:

https://horizon-magazine.eu/article/five-things-you-need-know-about-mrna-vaccines.html

1. mRNA vaccines are built on the concept of tricking the body into creating viral proteins using messenger RNA, rather than merely sending out antibodies based on a code that it is familiar with once it comes into contact with a virus. Think of it as getting a jump on the opposition.

2. mRNA vaccines have never been licensed, but mRNA tech has been used to fight cancer in the past. There are many unknowns; these human trials that are currently being conducted are enormously important for vaccine development going forward.

3. mRNA vaccines may be easier to develop and produce than traditional DNA vaccines. In this way, the timeline we have been given for distributing the vaccine may be a little more pessimistic than what is possible, as there is no precedent for producing an mRNA vaccine to scale.

"And by getting the human body to produce the viral proteins itself, mRNA vaccines cut out some of the manufacturing process and should be easier and quicker to produce than traditional vaccines. ‘In this situation, the major benefit is that it's easy to produce (and) it will also probably be relatively easy to do an upscaling of production, which of course, is very important if you think about deployment throughout Europe and the world,’ said Prof. Bekeredjian-Ding."

A successful mRNA vaccine, or several, would be a turning point in vaccine production that could impact the way we treat any number of common illnesses. Science just needed the opportunity to break status quo.

To further explicate this great Pfizer news, one of the most important features of the vaccine is that it is based on mRNA rather than DNA. This article gives a thorough overview of the differences, but I will break down a few of the highlights:

https://horizon-magazine.eu/article/five-things-you-need-know-about-mrna-vaccines.html

1. mRNA vaccines are built on the concept of tricking the body into creating viral proteins using messenger RNA, rather than merely sending out antibodies based on a code that it is familiar with once it comes into contact with a virus. Think of it as getting a jump on the opposition.

2. mRNA vaccines have never been licensed, but mRNA tech has been used to fight cancer in the past. There are many unknowns; these human trials that are currently being conducted are enormously important for vaccine development going forward.

3. mRNA vaccines may be easier to develop and produce than traditional DNA vaccines. In this way, the timeline we have been given for distributing the vaccine may be a little more pessimistic than what is possible, as there is no precedent for producing an mRNA vaccine to scale.

"And by getting the human body to produce the viral proteins itself, mRNA vaccines cut out some of the manufacturing process and should be easier and quicker to produce than traditional vaccines. ‘In this situation, the major benefit is that it's easy to produce (and) it will also probably be relatively easy to do an upscaling of production, which of course, is very important if you think about deployment throughout Europe and the world,’ said Prof. Bekeredjian-Ding."

A successful mRNA vaccine, or several, would be a turning point in vaccine production that could impact the way we treat any number of common illnesses. Science just needed the opportunity to break status quo.

Good info, thanks for the breakdown.
Certainly a reason to have some optimism.

Really promising. mRNA has played an important role in the last couple of years, outside of the vaccine sphere, but this sort of funding will inevitably lead to accelerated development.

It’s been seven days since my mom was exposed to covid and she says she’s feeling fine. Same when dad. They’ll feel better once they get 12-14 days out and still no issues.

Des Moines was forecasting they’d run out of hospital beds late November early December based on the projections / numbers.

They ran out of room tonight.

Iowa Gov has sent out adverts saying to wear masks when around groups, wash hands and distance

But restaurants, bars, offices, etc are all still operating at 75-100% capacity.

Hope your family recovers quickly, Beal.

The numbers this week are mind boggling. The 7-day average is over 110k cases/day, and daily deaths will surpass the summer peak in a couple of days most likely. Oh, and we are close to the spring peak in hospitalizations (though data wasn't as good back then).

I don't think that anybody cares about numbers anymore, seems like hospitalizations/ICU bed availability is the only parameter that the governments are concerned about.

Obviously there is a correlation between the two, but as we are seeing in other places, lockdowns aren't happening until the healthcare system is brought nearly to the brink.

I don't think that anybody cares about numbers anymore, seems like hospitalizations/ICU bed availability is the only parameter that the governments are concerned about.

Obviously there is a correlation between the two, but as we are seeing in other places, lockdowns aren't happening until the healthcare system is brought nearly to the brink.

I hear you, but the you have north of 100K cases a day it won't take long for hospitals to be crowded and for the death toll to pick up again. We are getting there already in the US. I think the only difference now is that this is truly a nation-wide pandemic as opposed to pockets of the country.

NY State had managed to avoid the worst after the fall, but even here the number of daily cases has increased 7- or 8-fold since the summer months. And the death tool, which was below 10 a day in the summer, reached 32 today. And the weather has been fantastic, allowing people to stay outdoors most of these recent weeks. I am not looking forward to December/January.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom