Global Pandemic Part IV: IV Experimental Cocktails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Send BDB and Cuomo to the moon please. Preferably on the same rocket.

Cali is basically back into the most restricted zone (95% of all counties) and there are so many gyms that are saying fuck it.

City Boxing gym a few blocks away from me has put up construction paper on their windows to hide their classes. The police station is half a block away too so clearly they have balls or assume they won’t be shut down.

A studio i used to teach for sent out an email explaining why they are defying the states orders and opening their indoor classes. Basically they claim there’s no proof that any covid cases are tied back to gyms or yoga studios directly. That only 1% of all cases have shown spread there (so guess that’s some proof right ?)

They go on about how much they care about our health and community so that’s why they must keep their doors open!

I get that this has to be really difficult to chose between keeping your business or losing it. But for me i can’t get behind the BS that you’re doing this for our well being when we are in the middle of a pandemic.

Maybe the data does show gyms and yoga don’t lead to super spread, and the government should have a little more flexibility

I want to see the stats tho, and not from the owner

I don’t know how flinging sweat and breathing heavily in a smallish room for over an hour is safer than eating indoors. Suppose it comes down to how many are in the room and how good is the vent system.

I realize it's anecdotal, too, but I'm POSITIVE I contracted COVID from my niece who got it from her gymnastics teacher, along with half the class, so I don't buy it one little bit that the gyms are safe.

I realize it's anecdotal, too, but I'm POSITIVE I contracted COVID from my niece who got it from her gymnastics teacher, along with half the class, so I don't buy it one little bit that the gyms are safe.

Yeah I’ve been saying it from the get go that nobody knows shit and the real danger is smugness in believing what you’re told when it’s convenient to do so (6 ft separation is sufficient, schools can open so you don’t have to watch your kids, a gym is safe because they installed new ventilation, etc). Don’t get me wrong, all pragmatic things we need for living, but more the attitudes of “oh I’m doing it right because there’s six feet” or “oh it’s safe because they changed the ventilation.”

Everyone should just assume that all of that is “best effort” public health science and not something well understood.

Cali is basically back into the most restricted zone (95% of all counties) and there are so many gyms that are saying fuck it.

City Boxing gym a few blocks away from me has put up construction paper on their windows to hide their classes. The police station is half a block away too so clearly they have balls or assume they won’t be shut down.

A studio i used to teach for sent out an email explaining why they are defying the states orders and opening their indoor classes. Basically they claim there’s no proof that any covid cases are tied back to gyms or yoga studios directly. That only 1% of all cases have shown spread there (so guess that’s some proof right ?)

They go on about how much they care about our health and community so that’s why they must keep their doors open!

I get that this has to be really difficult to chose between keeping your business or losing it. But for me i can’t get behind the BS that you’re doing this for our well being when we are in the middle of a pandemic.

Maybe the data does show gyms and yoga don’t lead to super spread, and the government should have a little more flexibility

I want to see the stats tho, and not from the owner

I don’t know how flinging sweat and breathing heavily in a smallish room for over an hour is safer than eating indoors. Suppose it comes down to how many are in the room and how good is the vent system.
These businesses should not be put in this situation. It's not their fault. There should have been a safety net.

The lack of leadership in this country has put businesses in a position where they either take a calculated risk and stay open or close and lose everything.

Last edited:
These businesses should not be put in this situation. It's not their fault. There should have been a safety net.

The lack of leadership in this country has put businesses in a position where they either take a calculated risk and stay open or close and lose everything.

Absolutely. I feel for them and i won’t comment or give my opinion to them when they’ve spoken to me about it. I tell them you do what you feel is best. I want no part in it.

This is their livelihoods. I couldn’t imagine the fear and anger they’re going thru.

I also understand that by them defying these orders it risks people’s health and our ability to open back up.

A complete and utter failure by Trump. Like everything else he’s done.

And glad there is help on the way. I am blown away by the vaccines. I never thought they’d be successful so quickly. I get these vaccines had a head start in development from SARS or previous work, but they normally take like 10
Years of they’re good. These guys did it in 8 months.

LONDON — The coronavirus vaccine developed by Oxford University and the British-Swedish pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca is up to 90 percent effective when administered at half dose and then a full dose a month later, the scientists said Monday.
The announcement follows upbeat results from two other front-running vaccine candidates, by Pfizer and Moderna, in the last two weeks.
The Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine is likely to be cheaper than those made by Pfizer and Moderna, and the British vaccine does not need to be stored at subzero temperatures, but can be kept in ordinary refrigerators in pharmacies and doctor’s offices.

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:
Woah, I take a break of ?10 days from this thread... :(

GOOD LUCK to full recoveries without long lasting, or permanent effects to you all - LM/Ashley, BEAL's Mom, bono212 & Stephanie.

Did I miss anyone?
I just ran through this in shocked quickness while getting ready to do more stuff.

ha.. seems that Google thinks I've used the word authoritarian a lot :shifty:

Heh! :hmm:
I wonder why !?!? -snort-
:sigh:

Last edited:
The Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine is likely to be cheaper than those made by Pfizer and Moderna, and the British vaccine does not need to be stored at subzero temperatures, but can be kept in ordinary refrigerators in pharmacies and doctor’s offices.

I heard today that AstraZeneca is offering the vaccine at cost for as long as the pandemic is going on. The price will likely be about €2.50 per dose (compared to about €15.50 per dose in the EU for the Pfizer one, haven't heard what price arrangements the EU made with Moderna). I hope they all work as well as they now claim.

I went back into the office on Tuesday for a full days work for the first time since the end of February (WFH began whilst I was on leave). Pretty weird. Apart from my team of six who were only in to welcome a new member with lunch, there were only four others in out of 100.

My building fully reopened on Monday, no restrictions, full amenities, but people are staying home. Even the director on my floor is only coming in twice a week.

The future is now. Getting dressed and commuting to work is now akin to working from a separate site that’s a pain in the arse to get to and throws your whole day off. Why would I go back to that when I can spend all summer swimming during lunch and having the grill lit by 5 every evening?

I've been going to the office once a week since mid September. Our offices aren't officially open but anyone who wants to come in can provided they pass a health screening.

Some days there are maybe 3 or 4 other people there. Other days I'm by my lonesome. I was recording something for our social accounts at my desk and the lights went out because they're on a motion trigger and nobody moved for half an hour.

Such is life in 2020.

The future is now. Getting dressed and commuting to work is now akin to working from a separate site that’s a pain in the arse to get to and throws your whole day off. Why would I go back to that when I can spend all summer swimming during lunch and having the grill lit by 5 every evening?

This is the thing that a lot of people (who haven't been back at all) fail to understand. The office you're going to is most certainly not the office you left.

I've been in maybe a half a dozen times since March. It sucks. Nobody is there, the kitchens are off limits, the restaurants in the lobby are closed, you have to follow arrows around the hall making for a ridiculous 5 minute hike to the women's washroom - where only one person is allowed in at a time. You can't meet with anyone so you're sitting in your office on a Teams call with somebody down the hall...why the hell would I put on a suit and do my make up when I could stay at home in sweat pants.

Even post vaccine, most businesses will have some kind of hybrid model. Talk to large commercial real estate lessors and you'll see how many businesses are downsizing or outright eliminating office space. It's staggering.

I don't know about Dr. Fauci appearing on the cover of People. He will be criticized for it, of course he's criticized anyway. Not all that different from doing Q and A s with celebrities on Instagram I suppose.

Screenshot_20201202-083131~3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom