Global Pandemic Part IV: IV Experimental Cocktails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So...Ashley has been symptomatic with covid for 14 days now and tested positive 5 days ago. She's had a lingering cough, fatigue, shortness of breath and loss of smell but is slowly coming back around. I'm certain she's going to be fine at this point but she's just getting annoyed by how long it's taking. Overall though she's in good spirits and intends to work from home today as usual. Our daughter seems fine.

I'm worried for myself though, maybe for no reason? I have had bouts of runny nose and congestion last weekend and the weekend before that, with lessened lung capacity and one night of gastrointestinal stuff but have tested negative twice in that time. We weren't distanced at all in the 9 days before she tested positive, just went about life like nothing was wrong.

The scary possibility is, of course, that any day now the virus is going to sneak up on me. Part of me wished for a positive test this morning so I could stop thinking about it. But the nurse who gave me the last test said I should go in to check for antibodies on Thursday if I'm asymptomatic. The thought from my doctor's office is that it's possibly a mild case that's been cleared out to the point that it's not showing up. My best guess is that Ashley was exposed 18 days ago, meaning I've been in close quarters with the virus for just as long. So I guess we'll see what the antibody test says.

Hope everything goes well. My two cents on your soft symptoms... I have had a similar circumstance with close contact. I am convinced that anxiety was factoring in and mimicking Covid symptoms. Take it easy... if you’re worried just remember that worrying doesn’t help, take it easy on yourself.

Update on my family

Dad still doesn’t have any issues. They both wear masks around the house. I also don’t think they’ve slept in the same room for decades so maybe that’s helped. Weather has been warmer than usual so windows are open for air flow

My mom is getting worse each day. She was pretty good the first 3-4 days after the positive test results, then came the loss of smell and taste. Horrible headaches and now fatigue.

She was recovering from bronchitis the week before getting exposed so she already had a cough and it’s still there. But it’s definitely not the covid dry cough.

Her speaking is faint and raspy and can’t seem to say more than a few words without sounding tired. She’s 66 but sounds 86. She has a deeper voice too so it’s kinda eerily familiar to how my grandpa sounded near the end of his life. Gargled and voice breaking

She hates this virus haha. We are all hoping this week goes smooth and can see some improvement. I worry that even after recovery how will her body hold up?

But thanks for the well wishes! All we can do is let nature runs its course and hope for the best.

Rest of the family, aunts and uncles seem to be better. Fatigue still but don’t have the fever/cough/headaches anymore

Update on my family

Dad still doesn’t have any issues. They both wear masks around the house. I also don’t think they’ve slept in the same room for decades so maybe that’s helped. Weather has been warmer than usual so windows are open for air flow

My mom is getting worse each day. She was pretty good the first 3-4 days after the positive test results, then came the loss of smell and taste. Horrible headaches and now fatigue.

She was recovering from bronchitis the week before getting exposed so she already had a cough and it’s still there. But it’s definitely not the covid dry cough.

Her speaking is faint and raspy and can’t seem to say more than a few words without sounding tired. She’s 66 but sounds 86. She has a deeper voice too so it’s kinda eerily familiar to how my grandpa sounded near the end of his life. Gargled and voice breaking

She hates this virus haha. We are all hoping this week goes smooth and can see some improvement. I worry that even after recovery how will her body hold up?

But thanks for the well wishes! All we can do is let nature runs its course and hope for the best.

Rest of the family, aunts and uncles seem to be better. Fatigue still but don’t have the fever/cough/headaches anymore

Dang, very difficult time for you I’m sorry. Glad to see you’re staying positive, hopefully in a few days it’s cleared up with nothing substantial lingering. I’m sure everyone else here will chime in, but there’s a full cast of support here.

Actually just spoke with her and she’s in the hospital.

Her Oxygen levels dipped and she had hard time breathing. Not surprising cause she sounded so bad yesterday morning.

Today she sounded great. Her voice was clear and had strength to it, but she said they’ve got her on steroids. She feels miles better tho and that’s all that matters in the moment. One day at a time.

Probably best she’s in there during the second week anyway since it can be the toughest.

I feel ok. There are moments I’m annoyed it’s happened but i don’t dwell since it doesn’t solve anything. She’ll get good care in the hospital and that’s all can be done.

Stay home for the holidays please!

Hope Ashley is back to 100% quickly and both of you remain well. And of course Steph stays well.

Hope everything goes well. My two cents on your soft symptoms... I have had a similar circumstance with close contact. I am convinced that anxiety was factoring in and mimicking Covid symptoms. Take it easy... if you’re worried just remember that worrying doesn’t help, take it easy on yourself.

Echoing the above. Sending good thoughts and well wishes to LM and Ashley, and BEAL and your family. May everyone recover well.

Thank you all. I suspect I got it by being just a bit stupid and not telling my sister to back out of her trip out here from Indiana, once the numbers there started getting as bad as they did. My niece's gymnastics coach had it, and I suspect my niece had it while she was out here, though my sister honestly thought the cough she had was just a normal kid's cough...but let's be real here.

One thing that I will correct Travis on is that I was *hyper* aware of my symptoms from the day I woke up with them and did try very hard to distance from him, but wasn't as good about it as I could've been. I was in some pretty strong denial about it being COVID and I should've got tested a week sooner than I did. It wouldn't have changed the course of my illness, but I would've stayed away from Stephanie, and not gone anywhere sooner than I did. I have been feeling really bad about what I did/didn't do and I have a lot of regret about it. I'm so glad it appears that no one in my immediate circle is sick or worse as a result.

Beal, I hope everything is OK for you all.

Wishing everyone in here and those they love who have been affected by this virus a full and speedy recovery.

There is light at the end of the tunnel. We’ll get there.

BEAL, I'm glad your Mom sounds better. It really does seem that once you start on steroids and supplemental oxygen it makes a huge, almost immediate difference so I hope it's your Mom's first step to a full recovery.

Ashley & family, also glad to hear you're over the worst of it. Hang in there!

Last edited:
Catching up on this thread now.

Wishing all the best for BEAL and his family. Been thinking about them a lot.

Also, thank you to everyone for their thoughts and well-wishes. There's a long road ahead but we have a lot of good things in our favor.
Immunity to the Coronavirus May Last Years, New Data Hint https://nyti.ms/38QmM8A
The scare stories about COVID-19 holding limited immunity because antibodies reportedly have a 3 month half life never offered a full picture of how immunity works. The body possesses memory cells that allow it to make more antibodies when necessary. This does not necessarily prevent a reinfection of sorts (which is why the vaccinated could still expect to feel mild symptoms in the future), but it allows for a swift and effective response.

Of course, there will always be exceptions because not all immune systems work equally well. It goes without saying that reinfection is very possible in the immunocompromised. And for the foreseeable future, I don't suggest letting your guard down because there are still too many unknowns.

In South Australia we've just entered into a full lockdown for 6 days - just about everything closed down, not allowed to leave the home (only one person in a household allowed to leave the house for essential matters) and masks mandatory - all because of a new cluster of about ~25 cases. It's a very swift sledgehammer of a method and I reckon it'll work.

In South Australia we've just entered into a full lockdown for 6 days - just about everything closed down, not allowed to leave the home (only one person in a household allowed to leave the house for essential matters) and masks mandatory - all because of a new cluster of about ~25 cases. It's a very swift sledgehammer of a method and I reckon it'll work.

Total lockdowns are the only way to do it.

But remember - you are an island and have complete control of your borders.

We don’t.

We do, but we've also had to take a lesson from Victoria - their initial hesitance resulted in 4 months of heavy lockdown.

LM/Ashley - wishing you all a quick recovery. Glad you guys are doing ok, especially the little one.

And wishing all the best for your family, Beal.

Harvey Weinstein has a fever and has been tested for covid. I think he tested positive once before in prison? He has multiple health issues.

I don't wish covid on anyone, but I really can't wish that guy well. Last night I watched the documentary Untouchable on Hulu. Reminded me again how vile and despicable he is.

This is the doctor who just reasoned with Elon Musk about covid on Twitter. He seems pretty smart, maybe Joe Biden and some others should listen to him.

Harvard doctor presents plan to ‘get us out of this COVID-19 war’

“This should not be about politics—it is about human beings—and we should be acting like it.”

By Dialynn Dwyer, Boston.com Staff
November 18, 2020 | 12:50 PM

A Harvard epidemiologist is pressing for a new plan to approaching the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States, which would utilize widespread frequent rapid antigen tests to stop the spread of the virus.

Michael Mina, an assistant professor of epidemiology at Harvard University, wrote in Time that so far the U.S. government has put most of its effort into the development of a vaccine, but the doctor urged that a multi-pronged public health approach is needed to prevent further cases and deaths.

“We are at war with a virus that is currently winning by taking two 9/11’s worth of victims every week — by Christmas it could be three.” Mina wrote in the Tuesday article. “There is no question that if 1,000 Americans were dying each day in a war, we would act swiftly and decisively. Yet, we are not. This should not be about politics — it is about human beings — and we should be acting like it.”

The Harvard professor argued that antigen testing is the “best possible tool” for addressing the pandemic, but it is not being used.

Investing in widespread, frequent antigen testing would mean reducing the spread of the virus without relying on lockdowns to tamp down on rising cases, he argued.

The Harvard epidemiologist has been advocating for antigen tests for months.

“The government would ship the tests to participating households and make them available in schools or workplaces,” Mina wrote of his plan. “This program doesn’t require the entire population to participate. Even if half of the community disregards their results or chooses to not participate altogether, outbreaks would still be turned around in weeks.

“The point is to use these tests frequently so people are likely to know their status early, before they transmit to others,” he wrote. “It is frequency and speed to get results, and not absolute sensitivity of the test that should take center stage in a public health screening program to stop outbreaks.”

The Food and Drug Administration announced Tuesday it is allowing rapid at-home coronavirus tests for emergency use, but they require a prescription, meaning their initial use will likely be limited.

Mina blasted the F.D.A. for not figuring out more quickly the authorization and use of at-home rapid antigen tests and urged states to “accelerate” new approaches to widespread testing. If the federal response isn’t there, the Harvard professor said states should approach tech companies for assistance.

“This Plan works WITH the people and meets them where they are,” Mina wrote of his plan on Twitter. “It works WITH all the other public health approaches we are already taking — it does not replace them. It is bold and ambitious — and addresses the fact that we are actually in a war with a virus.”

His Time article

https://time.com/5912705/covid-19-stop-spread-christmas/

Absolutely great idea.

Too many people have put all their eggs in a vaccine basket but the reality is we’re many months away from most people being vaccinated and have to figure out a better way to manage spread during that time.

It's absolutely ridiculous that people are still waiting for hours outside of Dodger Stadium to get tested, only to have to wait another 2-4 days for results. If we're serious about people staying home, we need to get tests to their homes.

During the summertime surge, it took 12 fucking days from the day I could schedule an appointment (not actually get tested) to when I got my results back. This should be all taken care of within 24 hours if it's a serious matter of public health.

Last edited:
It's absolutely ridiculous that people are still waiting for hours outside of Dodger Stadium to get tested, only to have to wait another 2-4 days for results. If we're serious about people staying home, we need to get tests to their homes.

During the summertime surge, it took 12 fucking days from the day I could schedule an appointment (not actually get tested) to when I got my results back. This should be all taken care of within 24 hours if it's a serious matter of public health.

Hmm. Maybe it’s a demand thing idk, but I got tested at Walgreens here in dc and it was 24-48 hours after a drive thru

Hmm. Maybe it’s a demand thing idk, but I got tested at Walgreens here in dc and it was 24-48 hours after a drive thru
That was just the case in the summer here. This time, I went to a CVS and had results back within 2 days. Then after Ashley tested positive I went to my doctor and had results back in 3 days. That's not so bad, but it should be close to immediate.

I don't know why so many are going to Dodger Stadium to get tested. Maybe they don't require insurance? CVS did.

Mrs. Tourist has felt under the weather a couple times and gotten a couple covid tests (all negative) and the results came back while she was still in the office. I didn’t realize they all weren’t coming back that quickly.

I finally decided to tell everyone in my family I have COVID since apparently one of my aunts is still insisting it isn't even real.

It's a last-ditch effort to hopefully change some minds, but...I honestly think it's going to take a death in the family for them to take it seriously.

DeBlasio closing schools in NYC while gyms and indoor dining remain open makes no sense. The schools there have a much lower positivity rate than the magical threshold of 3 percent. I have to wonder if the teachers union is deciding that one. In general there has not been much proven transmission in schools all over the country, that's my understanding.

Also Gavin Newsom=another hypocritical Democrat.

DeBlasio closing schools in NYC while gyms and indoor dining remain open makes no sense. The schools there have a much lower positivity rate than the magical threshold of 3 percent. I have to wonder if the teachers union is deciding that one. In general there has not been much proven transmission in schools all over the country, that's my understanding.

Also Gavin Newsom=another hypocritical Democrat.

It's unconscionable to close down schools with such a low positivity rate while allowing indoor dining and people to ram into retail stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom