Global Pandemic Part IV: IV Experimental Cocktails - Page 25 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2021, 05:47 PM   #481
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:29 AM
I never enjoyed flying (it's marginally better in business class, but that's really only a benefit of flights that are 4-5+ hrs long). But with kids I freaking hate it. At least I killed off a year of it during COVID and now I no longer have any kids in diapers or strollers, which should improve the experience.

Old 03-05-2021, 05:54 PM   #482
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:29 AM
Ah yes. The silver lining of COVID has been not to fly with our 2-year old. We only flew with him once, when he was like 6 months, and it was already a hassle despite the fact that he slept most of the time. Visiting family is a 9+ hour flight for us, so not a fun experience with children.

Maybe I'll have a new appreciation of flying when I can sleep 10 hours straight in an inter-continental flight for work and catch up with the hours of lost sleep as a relatively new parent.

Old 03-05-2021, 05:55 PM   #483
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 07:29 AM
I like seeing new places but hate the process of traveling in general, so whatever gets me there the fastest is best. I'll fly over driving if I can.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:02 PM   #484
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
I can relate. I enjoyed flying when I was younger, but after a couple of accidents that hit somewhat close to home (like friends of friends), I just developed anxiety about it.

For the most part I'm just happy I generally manage to avoid flying dingy airlines or non commercial, which many of my colleagues cannot avoid in our line of work, so I count my blessings.

What is your line of work, may I ask?

Yeah I get you, night clubs are ruined for me for the same reason.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:04 PM   #485
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I like seeing new places but hate the process of traveling in general, so whatever gets me there the fastest is best. I'll fly over driving if I can.

Agreed. In Europe, trains are king. I actually hate driving with a passion and think it’ll be what kills me well before flying or any other mode of transportation.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:07 PM   #486
Blue Crack Distributor

I think we need a plane thread
Old 03-05-2021, 06:13 PM   #487
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
What is your line of work, may I ask?
IR/diplomacy/conflict management
Old 03-05-2021, 06:48 PM   #488
Blue Crack Addict

United Nations of gump. My sister works in the same line of work.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:39 AM   #489
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJT View Post
It really does highlight the lack of science literacy in our respective populations that extends right up to the journalists and even the supposed science journalists who also report on these things
Many Germans also skip their appointments if it's the AstraZeneca they are about to receive. So embarrassing. And yes, even doctors themselves are falling prey to the misinterpretation. One expert reasoned it's because understanding and applying statistics is not part of the curriculum for doctors.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:33 PM   #490
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
Many Germans also skip their appointments if it's the AstraZeneca they are about to receive. So embarrassing. And yes, even doctors themselves are falling prey to the misinterpretation. One expert reasoned it's because understanding and applying statistics is not part of the curriculum for doctors.
I thought that various countries in Europe had now back tracked on those comments and were now using it??
Old 03-07-2021, 04:00 PM   #491
Blue Crack Addict

Adam's covid lockdown look-still on point

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210307-141206~2.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	12824
Old 03-07-2021, 07:11 PM   #492
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Adam's covid lockdown look-still on point

Attachment 12824
Should be wearing red not blue.
#SantaClayton
Old 03-08-2021, 01:59 AM   #493
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by djparky View Post
I thought that various countries in Europe had now back tracked on those comments and were now using it??
Yes, the vaccine is being used. But the seed of doubt has been sown, so people remain hesitant to take the vaccination. Thus far, in Germany only certain age groups and other groups are eligible to receive the vaccination.

When reports came about vaccination going unused because people skipped their appointments, there were calls to administer these to anyone volunteering, but of course that would've been too much pragmatism.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:34 AM   #494
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
Yes, the vaccine is being used. But the seed of doubt has been sown, so people remain hesitant to take the vaccination. Thus far, in Germany only certain age groups and other groups are eligible to receive the vaccination.

When reports came about vaccination going unused because people skipped their appointments, there were calls to administer these to anyone volunteering, but of course that would've been too much pragmatism.
Indeed yes...oddly this is the one (and only) thing that Bozo's government has done well in the last year...thanks to the NHS
Old 03-08-2021, 10:43 AM   #495
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:29 AM
A year ago this week I went food shopping with my now ex GF and I saw the early signs of how people were prepping for what was to eventually happen. I remember just seeing empty shelves at the supermarket and feeling this weird sense of sadness. Aaaand a week later my agency gave us our work from home orders.

It might sound odd, but I have this nostalgia for April of last year and going for solo road trips in Southern California because NO ONE was driving and it was actually amazing. I know it sucks though because that also meant jobs got shuttered. A year later, and mostly high traffic areas where I live and work still haven’t fully recovered.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:06 AM   #496
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 07:29 AM
A year ago around this time I was glued to Twitter and Worldometers searching high and low for any horrifying new piece of information I could get my hands on. It led me to a very dark, hopeless place and I'm grateful to have gotten out of it alive.

I still think the messaging of the pandemic in the early going, which led to so much fear and hoarding, was absolutely awful. Not so much because it was vague or unclear, as we knew very little at the time, but because it offered no hope or positive reinforcement along the way. I had to dig deep to find anything about testing improvements, vaccine production or up to date science on immunity. That was supposed to encourage safety, but it only fostered resentment.

These days, the variants still drive a great deal of panic in the media without explaining how t-cell immunity impacts severe illness, but you can find positive developments in the mainstream media if you search a bit and there's a much greater intolerance for fearmongering on social media. Understandably so. Another year of lockdown is unimaginable.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:22 AM   #497
Blue Crack Distributor

the CDC's guidance for vaccinated people is, shall we say, underwhelming.

i understand that they are trigger shy after their experience with the previous administration and are trying to be cautious as possible - but saying that people can gather in their homes if they're vaccinated isn't exactly the type of messaging that's going to encourage those who are hesitant to be vaccinated to get out there and get it done.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:05 PM   #498
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
A year ago around this time I was glued to Twitter and Worldometers searching high and low for any horrifying new piece of information I could get my hands on. It led me to a very dark, hopeless place and I'm grateful to have gotten out of it alive.

I still think the messaging of the pandemic in the early going, which led to so much fear and hoarding, was absolutely awful. Not so much because it was vague or unclear, as we knew very little at the time, but because it offered no hope or positive reinforcement along the way. I had to dig deep to find anything about testing improvements, vaccine production or up to date science on immunity. That was supposed to encourage safety, but it only fostered resentment.

These days, the variants still drive a great deal of panic in the media without explaining how t-cell immunity impacts severe illness, but you can find positive developments in the mainstream media if you search a bit and there's a much greater intolerance for fearmongering on social media. Understandably so. Another year of lockdown is unimaginable.
At least here in the UK the likes of the BBC tag these as " another worrying variant" headlines, further down you get the facts, but the media over here constantly amps up the fear, abley supported by various people from SAGE who predict 4th, 5th wave and suggesting permanent lockdowns until some distant time in the future....regardless of the economic and mental health consequences
Old 03-10-2021, 09:29 AM   #499
Blue Crack Addict

Alaska just became the first state to offer vaccines to all people 16 and over.

16 is the lowest authorized age for the Pfizer vaccine. Moderna and J&J are 18.
Old 03-10-2021, 10:30 AM   #500
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:29 PM
I want my damn vaccine. I keep hearing how each week we are sending % more and more, yet here in San Diego everyone I've spoken to has had their appointments delayed, both for first and second shots.

One note though, FL most definitely has >50% of the UK variant and their cases still continue to go down or stay lower than expected with this version ramping up.

My guess is everyone in FL has antibodies already, and vaccinating the at risk population has kept hospitals at an OK level.

Or FL fucking with their numbers

Maybe there won't be a 4th surge and we can have a nice spring into summer.