Global Pandemic Part IV: IV Experimental Cocktails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m curious what the J&J stats are towards the same cases.

We know that J&J went up against the SA variant and that caused some dip in the vaccine protection, and that was only regarding mild cases.

It’s hard not to read these things about the moderna and Pfizer vaccines and think why would you want any other ?

You'd want the other because it reduces your already crazy slim chances of catching this thing by anywhere from 60 to 90 percent depending on the mutation and can do so without sub zero temperatures and in one shot, and prevents death and hospitalization by over 99%, making this thing milder than Gzus' flu.

I received Moderna because that's what they gave me. I'd have zero issues if they gave me J&J. The differences are miniscule.

I was kinda pissed off that DC sign up (opened yesterday) asked the question of which vaccine you "prefer"

way to set a tone, folks

I'm glad that I got Pfizer because their t-cell data is thorough, suggesting that immunity from it could be long-lasting. That being said, I would have been pleased to receive Moderna as well. The efficacy looks great either way.

Vaccine shopping strikes me as really out there given that literally nobody asks what flu shot they are getting each year, what the efficacy is and so on. Nor is this question asked about any other vaccine on the market seemingly.

Another failure of leadership - anyone who wants to get back to "normal" whatever that is, should be in favour of getting whatever they are offered first.

It's very likely that everyone may have to get boosters (God forbid annually) and this nonsense of 95% vs 94% has to end.

i have no idea what to make of this...

glG9zj.gif

It's not altogether surprising because we see these kinds of unexpected relationships/outcomes with other diseases too.

For example, patients with Alzheimer's have significantly lower rates of cancer, even though the vast majority of them are in the high risk group (i.e. elderly). We still don't really know why that is the case - is it something intrinsic to Alzheimer's, is it something connected to the medications/treatment, or maybe a combination of both.

Biden is going to direct states to open up vaccine availability to all adults by May 1st, in his speech tonight.

meanwhile, in toronto, the website for 80+ year olds to book an appointment for their first dose launches on monday.

i feel like i'll probably be lucky if i'm vaccinated by labour day.

meanwhile, in toronto, the website for 80+ year olds to book an appointment for their first dose launches on monday.

i feel like i'll probably be lucky if i'm vaccinated by labour day.

That's the provincial site, hospitals have been taking registrations separately already.

But yes, the vaccine rollout here has been the equivalent of shitting the bed. And it's not really the rollout so much as procurement issues, of which there are many.

We have an ineffectual mayor, a dimwit premier and a Teflon Prime Minister, the perfect combination really....

They surprised me with J&J, but it’s all good. Got my shot. Process was well run and smooth and lots of people were being process smoothly.

And it was kind of emotional. That Science we progressives love so much is pretty amazing.

The US is now hoarding 60m doses of the AZ vaccine in warehouses - a vaccine that is not close to being approved due to the schedule of the trials. There are significantly more doses secured of the other 3 approved vaccines for the coming months than the size of the US population. Meanwhile only 1% of Africa has been vaccinated. Give those damn vaccines to countries that have already approved them.

might sound a little xenophobic and america first and all that, but i'm fine with the approach we're taking regarding procurement.

once there are enough shots to cover all of our citizens, then we must begin to share from our strategic reserves with nations around the world. it is a global pandemic, after all, and won't truly be done (even if things return to normal in this country) until it's done everywhere.

but even then - with so much unknown about mutations and how long vaccination works? yea -i don't want the cupboard to be bare again, like it was under trump. help vaccinate the world, but also keep a steady supply here in the states on reserve until we know that this shit's done.

Once you do the math, there is already an overabundance of supply in the US to vaccinate much more than 100% of the population in this country (including children, which are not even close to being eligible). If a booster shot is needed, there will be an overabundance of supply. There is no health, economic or moral reason to hoard those vaccines - which, again, will not be approved for several months in the US, when hundreds of millions of doses will be available - when they could be saving lives and curbing the spread of new variants elsewhere.

The US is hoarding vaccine supply not only because they can afford more, but because drug companies depend on their regulatory frameworks. The developing world should do what they did with AIDS medication and break patents in order to locally produce generic vaccines.

might sound a little xenophobic and america first and all that, but i'm fine with the approach we're taking regarding procurement.

once there are enough shots to cover all of our citizens, then we must begin to share from our strategic reserves with nations around the world. it is a global pandemic, after all, and won't truly be done (even if things return to normal in this country) until it's done everywhere.

but even then - with so much unknown about mutations and how long vaccination works? yea -i don't want the cupboard to be bare again, like it was under trump. help vaccinate the world, but also keep a steady supply here in the states on reserve until we know that this shit's done.

You might call it selfish or immoral, but it’s not xenophobic lol

Also, while I see Gump's point, if the AZ vaccine is having all these issues in Europe, maybe not sending those doses to Africa or wherever is the right call for the time being regardless, at least until they get everything sorted out with it.

The US will very shortly start shipping vaccines around. There is already an oversupply and a shit ton of $ to be made. My guess is no later than May and you'll see them selling to whoever is the highest bidder.

If there was some sort of global joint plan, which clearly there isn't, the Johnson & Johnson vaccine would have been earmarked for developing nations on the basis that it is the only single-dose one approved so far and doesn't need ultra-cold refrigeration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom