Global Pandemic Part IV: IV Experimental Cocktails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never enjoyed flying (it's marginally better in business class, but that's really only a benefit of flights that are 4-5+ hrs long). But with kids I freaking hate it. At least I killed off a year of it during COVID and now I no longer have any kids in diapers or strollers, which should improve the experience.

Ah yes. The silver lining of COVID has been not to fly with our 2-year old. We only flew with him once, when he was like 6 months, and it was already a hassle despite the fact that he slept most of the time. Visiting family is a 9+ hour flight for us, so not a fun experience with children.

Maybe I'll have a new appreciation of flying when I can sleep 10 hours straight in an inter-continental flight for work and catch up with the hours of lost sleep as a relatively new parent.

Last edited:
I like seeing new places but hate the process of traveling in general, so whatever gets me there the fastest is best. I'll fly over driving if I can.

I can relate. I enjoyed flying when I was younger, but after a couple of accidents that hit somewhat close to home (like friends of friends), I just developed anxiety about it.

For the most part I'm just happy I generally manage to avoid flying dingy airlines or non commercial, which many of my colleagues cannot avoid in our line of work, so I count my blessings.

What is your line of work, may I ask?

Yeah I get you, night clubs are ruined for me for the same reason.

I like seeing new places but hate the process of traveling in general, so whatever gets me there the fastest is best. I'll fly over driving if I can.

Agreed. In Europe, trains are king. I actually hate driving with a passion and think it’ll be what kills me well before flying or any other mode of transportation.

It really does highlight the lack of science literacy in our respective populations that extends right up to the journalists and even the supposed science journalists who also report on these things

Many Germans also skip their appointments if it's the AstraZeneca they are about to receive. So embarrassing. And yes, even doctors themselves are falling prey to the misinterpretation. One expert reasoned it's because understanding and applying statistics is not part of the curriculum for doctors.

Many Germans also skip their appointments if it's the AstraZeneca they are about to receive. So embarrassing. And yes, even doctors themselves are falling prey to the misinterpretation. One expert reasoned it's because understanding and applying statistics is not part of the curriculum for doctors.

I thought that various countries in Europe had now back tracked on those comments and were now using it??

I thought that various countries in Europe had now back tracked on those comments and were now using it??

Yes, the vaccine is being used. But the seed of doubt has been sown, so people remain hesitant to take the vaccination. Thus far, in Germany only certain age groups and other groups are eligible to receive the vaccination.

When reports came about vaccination going unused because people skipped their appointments, there were calls to administer these to anyone volunteering, but of course that would've been too much pragmatism.

Yes, the vaccine is being used. But the seed of doubt has been sown, so people remain hesitant to take the vaccination. Thus far, in Germany only certain age groups and other groups are eligible to receive the vaccination.

When reports came about vaccination going unused because people skipped their appointments, there were calls to administer these to anyone volunteering, but of course that would've been too much pragmatism.

Indeed yes...oddly this is the one (and only) thing that Bozo's government has done well in the last year...thanks to the NHS

A year ago this week I went food shopping with my now ex GF and I saw the early signs of how people were prepping for what was to eventually happen. I remember just seeing empty shelves at the supermarket and feeling this weird sense of sadness. Aaaand a week later my agency gave us our work from home orders.

It might sound odd, but I have this nostalgia for April of last year and going for solo road trips in Southern California because NO ONE was driving and it was actually amazing. I know it sucks though because that also meant jobs got shuttered. A year later, and mostly high traffic areas where I live and work still haven’t fully recovered.

A year ago around this time I was glued to Twitter and Worldometers searching high and low for any horrifying new piece of information I could get my hands on. It led me to a very dark, hopeless place and I'm grateful to have gotten out of it alive.

I still think the messaging of the pandemic in the early going, which led to so much fear and hoarding, was absolutely awful. Not so much because it was vague or unclear, as we knew very little at the time, but because it offered no hope or positive reinforcement along the way. I had to dig deep to find anything about testing improvements, vaccine production or up to date science on immunity. That was supposed to encourage safety, but it only fostered resentment.

These days, the variants still drive a great deal of panic in the media without explaining how t-cell immunity impacts severe illness, but you can find positive developments in the mainstream media if you search a bit and there's a much greater intolerance for fearmongering on social media. Understandably so. Another year of lockdown is unimaginable.

the CDC's guidance for vaccinated people is, shall we say, underwhelming.

i understand that they are trigger shy after their experience with the previous administration and are trying to be cautious as possible - but saying that people can gather in their homes if they're vaccinated isn't exactly the type of messaging that's going to encourage those who are hesitant to be vaccinated to get out there and get it done.

A year ago around this time I was glued to Twitter and Worldometers searching high and low for any horrifying new piece of information I could get my hands on. It led me to a very dark, hopeless place and I'm grateful to have gotten out of it alive.

I still think the messaging of the pandemic in the early going, which led to so much fear and hoarding, was absolutely awful. Not so much because it was vague or unclear, as we knew very little at the time, but because it offered no hope or positive reinforcement along the way. I had to dig deep to find anything about testing improvements, vaccine production or up to date science on immunity. That was supposed to encourage safety, but it only fostered resentment.

These days, the variants still drive a great deal of panic in the media without explaining how t-cell immunity impacts severe illness, but you can find positive developments in the mainstream media if you search a bit and there's a much greater intolerance for fearmongering on social media. Understandably so. Another year of lockdown is unimaginable.

At least here in the UK the likes of the BBC tag these as " another worrying variant" headlines, further down you get the facts, but the media over here constantly amps up the fear, abley supported by various people from SAGE who predict 4th, 5th wave and suggesting permanent lockdowns until some distant time in the future....regardless of the economic and mental health consequences

Alaska just became the first state to offer vaccines to all people 16 and over.

16 is the lowest authorized age for the Pfizer vaccine. Moderna and J&J are 18.

I want my damn vaccine. I keep hearing how each week we are sending % more and more, yet here in San Diego everyone I've spoken to has had their appointments delayed, both for first and second shots.

One note though, FL most definitely has >50% of the UK variant and their cases still continue to go down or stay lower than expected with this version ramping up.

My guess is everyone in FL has antibodies already, and vaccinating the at risk population has kept hospitals at an OK level.

Or FL fucking with their numbers

Maybe there won't be a 4th surge and we can have a nice spring into summer.

I really hope I don't have to wait until the second half of this year to get vaccinated.

Axios

President Biden will announce on Wednesday afternoon that he has directed his administration to purchase an additional 100 million doses of the Johnson & Johnson coronavirus vaccine, according to a senior administration official.

Why it matters: Biden's goal is to secure enough supply to vaccinate children and — if necessary — administer booster shots to increase protection against new variants of the virus, according to the New York Times.

The announcement comes a week after the president said the U.S. will have enough vaccines available for 300 million adults by the end of May.

Unlike Pfizer and Moderna's vaccines, the J&J shot only requires one dose. The U.S. government had previously purchased 100 million doses from the company.

The state of play: The doses are expected to be delivered in the second half of the year, two officials told the Times.

Biden will make the announcement Wednesday afternoon during his meeting in the White House with the CEOs of Johnson & Johnson and Merck.

The Biden administration said last week that the two rival pharmaceutical companies would be teaming up to boost supply of J&J's one-shot vaccine.

We shouldn’t have to. I think this extra purchase is probably setting up for booster shots

profile-mk-bowser.7bf2a8f2.aead314d58b63e27.png

I'm anxious for both me and my mom to get our vaccines, too. My mom is so close, too-she just turned 64 last December. She's just outside of the 65 and older group.

So yeah, the quicker we can move to making sure every single adult can get vaccinated as soon as possible, the more relieved I'll be.

Years of trying to acquire GA seats finally paid off.
Who knew!?! Congrats.

BMI is the way to go. start eating those pies. it's a trash measurement of fitness anyway.

(in all seriousness, i have a lung issue)
Sorry to hear that, Irving.

(my mom got severe asthma when I was 5 1/2 , eventually moderated with a (back then) suitcase size nebulizer, and later quite damped down with better meds)

Yours nay not be similar but I've seen the struggle.

Easy for Alaska, they can just leave the vaccines outside [emoji1]

Heh well maybe the higher elevations, higher lattitudes, but it can hit the 60°'s & 70°'s
in Anchorage. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom