Global Pandemic Part IV: IV Experimental Cocktails - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2021, 12:53 PM   #321
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
I have a friend who is with a marketing agency that has a government contract who has received the vaccine because he's technically doing government work.

I'd dig into this more. You might be eligible already. He's in Virginia so may be different rules.

I work for an FFRDC, which is one step closer to the government than a contractor. I’ve inquired - I was really hoping they’d lump us in as 1C but they’re not.

Though I work between MD, DC, and VA, and my residence is in DC, my technical workplace is in VA so I’m also out there. I only moved into the city because my heart beat out my mind and said this pandemic would get better sooner.

Old 02-14-2021, 07:01 PM   #322
Blue Crack Addict

Encouraging news.

Reuters - Israeli study finds 94% drop in symptomatic COVID-19 cases with Pfizer vaccine

Old 02-14-2021, 10:58 PM   #323
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 02:24 PM
Awesome .
Old 02-15-2021, 07:10 PM   #324
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:24 PM
Curious what people think in this hypothetical

Scientists are saying were in the eye of the hurricane, that B117 is a few weeks away from being the dominant strain, and states are rolling back restrictions.

If another large surge hits the country, does Biden order a large scale lockdown which he’s on record saying he would do (if the scientists say it’ll help/work) ?

Does another massive surge hurt his Presidency since the Right will hammer him on any disaster or trauma??

I hope that we have seen the worst of the surges, but it does kinda feel like this time last year where we just don’t know what’s happening.

Granted we have the vaccines, better hospital treatments, and some natural immunity built up.

It’s looking at those graphs from England, Ireland, and others that got wrecked by B117 which is scary considering our 3rd surge was so massive on the old strain.

Guess only time will tell
Old 02-15-2021, 07:25 PM   #325
Blue Crack Addict

I think that with so many of the highest risk individuals immunized, you may very well see high case counts but comparatively low deaths and hospitalizations.

Generally speaking, I don't think the average person is ready for the third wave of lockdowns, particularly ones imposed after winter and when the weather starts to finally improve.

At this point, we really have to start considering the reality of the situation of how people will respond en masse - we can't pretend like we have a largely compliant society. Maybe we never did, but at this point, the willingness to comply with further lockdowns is extremely low across the board.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:27 PM   #326
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 12:24 PM
Being in "the eye of the hurricane" suggests we're only halfway through this mess. I wholeheartedly disagree with that assertion based on the data we have available to us.

Making a 1:1 comparison between the UK and the US with regards to the impact of B117 is impossible because the UK had not fully vaccinated more than 1% of its population by the start of 2021, at which point they were deep into their worst surge. In contrast, there are some smaller US states such as Alaska and West Virginia that have already given doses to over 20% of their population. This buffer will make a significant difference in those communities.

It's possible that the day-to-day cratering of cases that we're seeing will plateau or even reverse soon in response to restrictions being rolled back (where applicable), but unless we've been lied to about the efficacy of the vaccines against B117, this is a race that the variant is likely to lose with 2-3 million doses being administered each day.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:48 PM   #327
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Being in "the eye of the hurricane" suggests we're only halfway through this mess. I wholeheartedly disagree with that assertion based on the data we have available to us.

Making a 1:1 comparison between the UK and the US with regards to the impact of B117 is impossible because the UK had not fully vaccinated more than 1% of its population by the start of 2021, at which point they were deep into their worst surge. In contrast, there are some smaller US states such as Alaska and West Virginia that have already given doses to over 20% of their population. This buffer will make a significant difference in those communities.

It's possible that the day-to-day cratering of cases that we're seeing will plateau or even reverse soon in response to restrictions being rolled back (where applicable), but unless we've been lied to about the efficacy of the vaccines against B117, this is a race that the variant is likely to lose with 2-3 million doses being administered each day.

I was preparing a similar post in my mind. I don’t like the hurricane analogy at all. It implies it is imminent.

Two main reasons why I think we are in a good position: the vaccination rate (creeping on 15% of the population and speeding up), and the extremely high rate of positives we are coming down from. The summation of total cases all-time plus vaccinations implies that there’s some level of immunity greater than or equal to the current vaccinated population.

This doesn’t mean we don’t have rough times ahead, so much as we are equipped pretty well going forward.
Old 02-16-2021, 07:40 AM   #328
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
If another large surge hits the country, does Biden order a large scale lockdown which he’s on record saying he would do (if the scientists say it’ll help/work) ?
There will be no further lockdowns, politicians view it as political poison. As has been the case since late April, we're all left to our own devices from here on out. This pandemic will last as long as possible because the government has abandoned everyone, but at least employers are still allowed to demand you work.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:53 AM   #329
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:24 PM
Good news is that Israel has shown the rna vaccines provide great blockage against the B117 variant. If that one is the primary here in another month than our vaccination efforts will produce good results.

What we don’t know are the SA and Brazil variants and how much they knock down protection. Boosters will be needed regardless but not sure that’s something to be knocked out immediately. There’s also the ones we have no idea about since we let this thing wash over us and gave it plenty of opportunity to rapidly mutate.

Has anyone seen any data on projected immunity from the vaccines ? CDC says if it’s been longer than 3 months since 2nd shot and you’re exposed that you should quarantine out of precaution.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:03 AM   #330
More 5G Than Man

Quote:
CDC says if it’s been longer than 3 months since 2nd shot and you’re exposed that you should quarantine out of precaution.
That's more due to a lack of information than anything we actually know. The CDC gave the same 3 month window for traditionally acquired immunity, only for studies to reveal that people still have antibody titers nearly a year later. Apparently, the strength of vaccine-based immunity is even more robust due to its special targeting of the spike protein via polyclonal antibodies, so I would guess many will still have antibodies before a yearly booster would be required. What we don't know as well as we should is the role of t-cells in long-term immunity.

Please read this thread from one of Moderna's molecular biologists, especially starting around 6 tweets down:

Old 02-16-2021, 10:31 AM   #331
War Child

Quote:
Good news is that Israel has shown the rna vaccines provide great blockage against the B117 variant. If that one is the primary here in another month than our vaccination efforts will produce good results.

What we don’t know are the SA and Brazil variants and how much they knock down protection. Boosters will be needed regardless but not sure that’s something to be knocked out immediately. There’s also the ones we have no idea about since we let this thing wash over us and gave it plenty of opportunity to rapidly mutate.

Has anyone seen any data on projected immunity from the vaccines ? CDC says if it’s been longer than 3 months since 2nd shot and you’re exposed that you should quarantine out of precaution.
I have some friends in government positions who are privy to some of this data, and the limited information I have heard has been "the early data suggests it's probably at least 1-2 years, but we don't have anywhere near enough data to say that definitively."

The main long-term issues are going to be the large numbers of people refusing to take it, and the limited interest by pharma companies and rich nations in getting the vaccines to poorer nations.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:35 AM   #332
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
That's more due to a lack of information than anything we actually know. The CDC gave the same 3 month window for traditionally acquired immunity, only for studies to reveal that people still have antibody titers nearly a year later. Apparently, the strength of vaccine-based immunity is even more robust due to its special targeting of the spike protein via polyclonal antibodies, so I would guess many will still have antibodies before a yearly booster would be required. What we don't know as well as we should is the role of t-cells in long-term immunity.

Please read this thread from one of Moderna's molecular biologists, especially starting around 6 tweets down:

The mRNA are particularly useful for the variants. Those being the first developed vaccines will be an aid in combatting that.

The upcoming single shot vaccines that are not mRNAs will not be as helpful with this, but they will be good for distributing out to more remote communities, as they'll last longer in regular refrigeration and obviously don't require as much administrative structure since you don't need to schedule two appointments.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:43 AM   #333
More 5G Than Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Dunk View Post
The mRNA are particularly useful for the variants. Those being the first developed vaccines will be an aid in combatting that.

The upcoming single shot vaccines that are not mRNAs will not be as helpful with this, but they will be good for distributing out to more remote communities, as they'll last longer in regular refrigeration and obviously don't require as much administrative structure since you don't need to schedule two appointments.
The J&J vaccine will be ideal for hospitals in rural communities with less sophisticated refrigeration systems. Hopefully there will be fewer variants circulating in these more remote/less populated communities. With fewer cases overall, there will be fewer opportunities for mutation. Plus, these states tend to bring in less international travel.
Old 02-16-2021, 01:59 PM   #334
Blue Crack Addict

I hope Biden is right about this. Weather is not helping these days, once Winter is over that will help too.

Before I took office, I set a big goal of administering 100 million shots in the first 100 days," Biden tweeted Tuesday. "With the progress we’re making I believe we’ll not only reach that, we’ll break it."
Old 02-17-2021, 10:31 AM   #335
War Child

You have to think there are a whole lot of vaccines getting thrown out in Texas this week.
Old 02-17-2021, 10:37 AM   #336
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
You have to think there are a whole lot of vaccines getting thrown out in Texas this week.
They can just leave them outside in the sub arctic temps we're being led to believe they are suffering through.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:11 PM   #337
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I did see one news story about students at Rice University receiving an alert that a nearby medical facility needed to distribute vaccines they had before they went bad.

The university is within walking distance, so the students lined up outside and received the vaccines. That's a good thing to do, hopefully other places did similar things.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:00 AM   #338
Blue Crack Distributor

They may not be able to vaccinate people in texas, but the past few weeks has also probably limited the ability for a state who hasn't taken this seriously to spread the virus. The cold finally forced everyone to stay home.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:55 PM   #339
Blue Crack Addict

Just surpassed half a million deaths in the US. What a horrible tragedy
Old 02-24-2021, 05:43 AM   #340
Blue Crack Distributor

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/fut...moderna-pfizer