Global Pandemic Part IV: IV Experimental Cocktails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok well, I am sitting on a fat stack of 300,000 jetblue points so you know where my allegiance is.

And fuck spirit. What’re you, from south Florida?

The last three JetBlue flights I have taken all broke down, thankfully before take off.

Spirit does have a very good fleet of aircraft, but jetblue is middle of the pack (and about to transition to top tier once they transition from their e-Jets to a220s). Typically, southwest and delta are going to have your least reliable tweets.

Arm soreness is almost completely gone this morning.

Was also inspired by the plane discussion to purchase a post vaccination flight.

What are the ... rules on this going to be?

I’m seeing mid-June directs from DC to Lisbon for like $300 (or Madrid for $500). Do we know if countries will be open to the vaccinated and not require a 2-week quarantine? Or are we assuming?

Obviously I can Google, but I’m just starting the 2nd cup of coffee.

We have an overall vastly superior airport situation compared to NYC and LA. Three solid options within 45 minutes that aren’t living nightmares like LGA and LAX.

If you're going to LA, check out Burbank airport or if its a viable option Orange County (Santa Ana), small airports easy to navigate, polar opposite of LAX.

What are the ... rules on this going to be?

I’m seeing mid-June directs from DC to Lisbon for like $300 (or Madrid for $500). Do we know if countries will be open to the vaccinated and not require a 2-week quarantine? Or are we assuming?

Obviously I can Google, but I’m just starting the 2nd cup of coffee.
Unclear on international travel.

Bowser announced this week that fully vaccinated persons will no longer have to quarantine upon returning from other states.

I believe CDC is putting out guidance today.

Arm soreness is almost completely gone this morning.

Was also inspired by the plane discussion to purchase a post vaccination flight.

Ok but also there are public basketball courts and I want my fucking game

I played basketball for the first time in like 8 years and I gotta say, any petty feel-bad compliment you could’ve given me died when I finished undergrad.

Ok but also there are public basketball courts and I want my fucking game

I played basketball for the first time in like 8 years and I gotta say, any petty feel-bad compliment you could’ve given me died when I finished undergrad.
I'm approaching a year without playing - by far the longest I've gone since, like, I was 7.

Did a series of virtual clinics over the summer and a few more through the year - but it's not the same as running up and down.

Aside from being able to travel without worry, the thing I'm most excited about is being able to go play again. Oh, and not dying. That's cool, too

This is so dumb. We really need to do a better job of explaining this shit.

J&J went up against the variants too, specifically the South African one which many believe to be the most challenging mutation (though Brazil P1 looks nasty too).

The mRNA vaccines are amazing against the old and UK mutation, which we saw from Israel and now the UK's own efforts.

We have no idea how those two fair against the SA and Brazil ones, but most scientists believe they will reduce the efficacy, probably closer to J&J levels. I think Moderna has already announced they are opening a trial for their booster shoot to cover these mutations.

But what needs to be spoken about over and over is that ALL the vaccines will come as close as possible to 100% prevention of severe illness and death.

Anybody who turns down a vaccine (it's happening with AZ - people don't understand the studies so they don't want something that they believe is 62% effective, spoiler alert, it's not) should move to the very BACK of the line and wait.

J&J is really the vaccine that holds the most realistic and practical promise given that it's a one-shot deal.

Yeah it's been especially troubling in the rest of Europe, such as when you have the French president himself running down the AZ vaccine and now they are in a mire of people refusing to get it when the data from here in the UK is showing its basically on par with Pfizer (and in some cases is showing higher reductions, though once fully analysed I imagine it will much of a muchness).

500 odd medical professionals in one of the main Viennese hospitals signed a petition saying they would not take the AZ one, madness.

Though I believe vaccine hesitancy is decreasing in general now, with millions having received a dose of a vaccine, but the messaging has been all over the place in some countries/areas.

It really does highlight the lack of science literacy in our respective populations that extends right up to the journalists and even the supposed science journalists who also report on these things

Basically the only thing I like about flying is getting to my destination (and I’ve had to fly a lot in my life).

Splitting the discomfort of service from commercial airlines with the discomfort of barreling in a metal tube at Mach 0.85 7 miles in the sky, which do you like less?

Splitting the discomfort of service from commercial airlines with the discomfort of barreling in a metal tube at Mach 0.85 7 miles in the sky, which do you like less?

Certainly the latter. I just dislike the overall experience of flying (and heights in general). Being tall and sitting in crappy economy seats for 10+ hours doesn't help, but I have had uncomfortable (mentally) flying experiences in business class too.

I love trains.

Last edited:
There's a ton of bad information going around, but I want to highlight the misunderstanding of t-cell immunity that informs much of the fear surrounding variants.

This Twitter thread from a Moderna microbiologist is an excellent place to start:

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1366742151351132168?s=09

In brief, t-cells are what give the body the ability to respond quickly to new infections. We never developed a cheap and reliable t-cell test for the general population in the way we did with antibodies, so many forget that an absence of antibodies does not suggest a lack of immunity. In fact, it's t-cells that ultimately prevent severe illness because they stimulate b-cells to create antibodies before things get out of hand.

In the case of variants, there is evidence to suggest that the presence of t-cells in samples has not been reduced among those who had one of the mRNA vaccines. This is the mechanism by which the vaccines prevent severe illness, and why that figure remains so high across the board, even with the variants.

The body may respond to an infection from the variants with mild to moderate symptoms, but t-cells provided by the vaccine will help create targeted antibodies for that variant before things get out of control. This ultimately prevents hospitalizations and deaths.

Thus far, I have not seen sufficient evidence of severe illness from variants in those with acquired t-cell immunity from the vaccines to be concerned, but you all know I have my ear to the ground. As of right now, the vaccines prevent severe illness across the board which, as BEAL said, is what really matters in terms of managing the pandemic.

Last edited:
Certainly the latter. I just dislike the overall experience of flying (and heights in general). Being tall and sitting in crappy economy seats for 10+ hours doesn't help, but I have had uncomfortable (mentally) flying experiences in business class too.

I love trains.

Understood. I travel a ton, 30-40 flights a year per pandemic, and certainly I loathe the latter. I’ll do whatever gaming I’ve gotta do to escape garbage seats.

My best friend is the same way what with the flying aspect. I flew with him for the first time for his wedding, I think I was able to catch every one of his fears as they presented themselves haha. My favorite was “no, the lights flickering are not a sign of poor electrical wiring on an old aircraft, that’s power disconnect from the terminal.”

Flying is fun!!

My best friend is the same way what with the flying aspect. I flew with him for the first time for his wedding, I think I was able to catch every one of his fears as they presented themselves haha. My favorite was “no, the lights flickering are not a sign of poor electrical wiring on an old aircraft, that’s power disconnect from the terminal.”

I can relate. I enjoyed flying when I was younger, but after a couple of accidents that hit somewhat close to home (like friends of friends), I just developed anxiety about it.

For the most part I'm just happy I generally manage to avoid flying dingy airlines or non commercial, which many of my colleagues cannot avoid in our line of work, so I count my blessings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom