Global Pandemic Part III: A typical Spring, Just Ask China

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Los Angeles county is going to extend stay at home through July. What do they think people are going to live on, in one of the most expensive places in the US? Los Angeles unemployment is at 24%.

I'm all for being cautious but I think this is completely unreasonable. At a certain point we have to protect the most vulnerable, let others decide for themselves what they are willing to risk, and avoid complete economic ruin.

Yeah, as risky as it may be, the stay at home orders have to be lifted.
There has to be a smart, cautious approach to doing so, you can't expect folks to stay quarantined another 2 months, its untenable.
Some provisions to protect long term care facilities are critical, as that's the location of the majority of fatalities.
But as much as an idiot as Trump is, his "the cure can't be worse than the disease" statement has some truth to it.

Nursing homes have been neglected from the beginning. Including in New York, Massachusetts, all over the country. Why? Common sense tells you that's the first area to focus on, you don't need to be an epidemiologist.

I just hope Baker doesn't get any ideas from LA. I'm seriously afraid of what could happen in Los Angeles, people just aren't going to be able to deal with that.

Los Angeles county is going to extend stay at home through July. What do they think people are going to live on, in one of the most expensive places in the US? Los Angeles unemployment is at 24%.

I'm all for being cautious but I think this is completely unreasonable. At a certain point we have to protect the most vulnerable, let others decide for themselves what they are willing to risk, and avoid complete economic ruin.
If you read the article and not the title, it's said that there will be "some restrictions" through July. It does not say that things will remain the same through July.

Technically, office buildings can open if they choose to. That was lifted statewide this afternoon. The matter of partially opening is up to mayor Garcetti at this point, not Newsom.

Last edited:
If you read the article and not the title, it's said that there will be "some restrictions" through July. It does not say that things will remain the same through July.

Technically, office buildings can open if they choose to. That was lifted statewide this afternoon. The matter of partially opening is up to mayor Garcetti at this point, not Newsom.

Ok well that sounds better. It's being reported differently. I do read other than titles, I had just returned from a four mile walk and I was a little tired-)

In general these politicians seem to have very little planning behind these reopening plans. I understand that it's unprecedented. They are all getting paid too though, and so are city and state workers. At least where I live. No layoffs, no furloughs, no pay cuts for them.

Cambridge MA company called Moderna has been given fast track FDA approval for the next phase of testing for their possible vaccine.

Ok well that sounds better. It's being reported differently. I do read other than titles, I had just returned from a four mile walk and I was a little tired-)

In general these politicians seem to have very little planning behind these reopening plans. I understand that it's unprecedented. They are all getting paid too though, and so are city and state workers. At least where I live. No layoffs, no furloughs, no pay cuts for them.

Cambridge MA company called Moderna has been given fast track FDA approval for the next phase of testing for their possible vaccine.

The LA Times has been a real pain in the ass recently. Besides maintaining obnoxious paywall restrictions during a pandemic, they only report negative statistics and it's like pulling teeth to get them to acknowledge any progress. This is an actual quote from our public health director:

"Our hope is that that, using the data, we can slowly lift restrictions over the next three months."

And lifting restrictions will be "slow." Which we already knew.

Basically, we won't be at phase 4 until after July here in LA County. That's the news here. That and I guess they're keeping the "safer at home" label going for now? The UK modified theirs from "stay at home" to "stay alert."

The UK change has been heavily criticised though as it took them about 10 interviews to explain what stay alert actually meant in terms of changes.

The UK change has been heavily criticised though as it took them about 10 interviews to explain what stay alert actually meant in terms of changes.
They have been horrendous at communication. But at least they aren't telling Chinese reporters to ask China why the virus is still killing people.

The pay walls during this absolutely kill me.

There is an intelligent way to reopen to allow many people to return to work. But we have to be smart about it. Everyone who CAN work from home should work from home indefinitely. That would mean that we have far fewer people on public transit, no bottlenecks in office towers (it is actually impossibly to physically distance in office towers of 50, 60, 70 stories and the elevator banks will have thousands of people crowded in - doesn't work) and so on. This will permit more people who cannot work remotely to do so - retail, service industry, ancillary healthcare services (physiotherapists, dentists, optometrists, etc) with a reduced risk profile. There should be zero international leisure travel indefinitely - it makes exactly zero sense. To the extent the tourism industry is under water, the government should either bail them out, or nationalize airlines as a better solution. That is the price we have to pay as a society for the industry not to go belly up and for us to not have constant lock downs due to uncontrolled spread following travel.

Australia has started reopening. I received a company email survey yesterday that was gauging who wanted to remain working from home and who wanted to return to the office. The intention is to then rotate the ambivalent staff throughout the week with staggered start and finish times.

Personally I want to stay home. I take a 40 minute train that is standing room only after 15 minutes to a 20 story office building with a 2 people per lift policy. Sounds like a lot of unnecessary hassle.

One of many things I've had reinforced by this pandemic is that people say a lot of things. That doesn't make them true, and certainly not law. Unless I hear an order from a government official, I treat it like social media hearsay.

:lol:

Oh?
I heard around 4pm (NYC) they're now planning a season about half as long in July.

Reports are that players aren't keen on taking a pay cut. They don't believe that the owners will be "suffering" due to lost revenue.

At this point I can't feel sorry for either side if it's about money. If players don't feel safe then I have complete understanding of that.

From that link...

“They do not represent Senate Republicans,” Shirkey said in a statement. “At best, those so-called protesters are a bunch of jackasses.”

Nice to see a Republican actually call them out for what they are. Now if only the rest of the state's party would get it together and quit straddling the fence and trying to appease these nutjobs.

Kelley, the organizer of the protest, said he was disappointed that many Republican lawmakers did not want to lift all restrictions immediately.

“You’re elected to serve the people,” he said. “You’re not elected to serve yourself.”

They are serving the public, you fucking dumbass. Seriously, this insanity wouldn't be allowed for any other group of people, it shouldn't be allowed here. These assholes are going to get someone killed eventually over this. Put them in jail for endangering the public and intimidating and threatening people and take away their guns.

Whitmer has capitalized on the attention drawn from the attacks, steadfastly backing her cautious approach to the virus and reveling in being anti-Trump. She wore a T-shirt emblazoned with “That woman from Michigan” on an interview with the “The Daily Show’s” Trevor Noah on April 1.

I love that :D. .I'm glad the majority of the state's residents support her policies, and I hope she continues to stand firm. Seems at this point the best thing for the Democrats to do going forward is to just continue doing their jobs and let the GOP take itself down with its own foolishness and craziness.

https://www.salon.com/2020/05/12/mi...ral-areas-whitmer-tells-pence-in-leaked-call/

Some protesters who descended on the Michigan state capitol to demand the state reopen the economy in spite of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic have spread infections in rural areas where they live, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer told Vice President Mike Pence in a recorded phone conversation obtained by ABC News.

Whitmer, a Democrat, asked Pence to discourage the demonstrations after the state's data suggested the protesters brought COVID-19 back to their rural communities.

"We have seen from initial protests here is that we've got COVID-19 spreading in rural parts of our state, from which people traveled," Whitmer reportedly told Pence.

Whitmer added that the alarming trend could derail the state's plans to begin reopening.

"And so, our ability to move on to the next phase and keep re-engaging our economy — I'm just concerned about it," Whitmer said. "We're going to keep watching those numbers and doing the tests."

Heckuva job, protesters. :rolleyes:

The US reported more recoveries than new cases today for the first time in the entire pandemic. As such, active cases finally went down.

The US reported more recoveries than new cases today for the first time in the entire pandemic. As such, active cases finally went down.

mission_accomplish_1112950c.jpg

Been thinking ... would imagine the reason that the protestors are so much more “intense” (for lack of a better word) in Michigan than in other places is likely due to the governor’s gender.

A lot of men, and women, don’t like a woman telling them what to do. It’s really sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom