Global Pandemic Part III: A typical Spring, Just Ask China

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd almost rather take a Chinese vaccine over a Russian one, if they were both rushed to market. Neither country respects human rights on any level but the Chinese actually do care about their image and long-term business opportunities that arise from it.

Without a doubt. The Chinese govt wants your money. The Russian govt wants to embarrass you.

He also forced his entire staff to work in the office full time and would berate them if he caught them in a mask

it feels like we're in the endgame of right wing talk radio that morphed into the right wing media complex, that this was always its logical conclusion: people who would rather be dead than admit being wrong.

Here in Australia, it looks like Victoria is out of control. The previous national daily peak was 458 on March 28th, we trended downwards almost daily after that. In the past 8 days, Victoria alone has topped that record 3 times, including a terrifying 723 cases and 13 deaths yesterday. There were 0 new cases on June 9th, with mostly single digit cases since mid-May. Cases started to exponentially increase from then on, lately recording oscillating numbers. Victoria has been in stage 3 lockdowns for 3 weeks and might not have even peaked yet.

This thing doesn’t go away unless you lockdown hard, and even then it can come back rapidly for any number of reasons. And if you’re going to reopen a community, you keep the borders shut tight. It boggles my mind how people in the UK (whom the state of Victoria is now comparable to in today’s daily cases) are now going on overseas holidays and then returning with no quarantine at either end. Hope your fucking tshirt suntan is worth another lockdown, assholes.

There’s no reason to believe places like Europe or Australia are out of the woods.

There’s every reason to believe that when surges happen, they respond. I’ve tried to explain this to my family who seems to be insistent that Europe will soon be next. Yes, it will, and they’ll shut it down again and flatten it again and avoid the nightmare that we continue to live.

Yes, it will, and they’ll shut it down again and flatten it again and avoid the nightmare that we continue to live.

That's not so certain. Germany has seen a marked increase in daily new infections. At first it was only local flare ups, but now it's a general trend. And travelling really doesn't help. Yet, public approval of a second lockdown is much less. And also most politicians are much less willing to put tough measures in place, because they fear many businesses may not survive a second lockdown, and I guess they are also afraid of the public reaction.

Instead, it is now hoped that we'll be able to contain any significant outbreak as locally as possible, and avoid any measures beyond that.

On the other hand, once the weather gets shitty in October, maybe people change their minds about their needs to get outside again.

Gohmert is such a scumbag. It's one thing to not care about protecting yourself while being a science and reality denier and Trump sycophant. But to not care about the people who work for you, and to berate them for wearing masks, is horrible beyond words.

That's one thing that drives me crazy, the complete selfishness of these people. Some of them claim to be so Christian too. Love thy neighbor.

His death was completely unnecessary. Mocking nature and science for what, Donald Trump!!!??

He was in the hospital for a long time too. I feel for his family and loved ones. That had to be difficult for them

Here in Australia, it looks like Victoria is out of control. The previous national daily peak was 458 on March 28th, we trended downwards almost daily after that. In the past 8 days, Victoria alone has topped that record 3 times, including a terrifying 723 cases and 13 deaths yesterday. There were 0 new cases on June 9th, with mostly single digit cases since mid-May. Cases started to exponentially increase from then on, lately recording oscillating numbers. Victoria has been in stage 3 lockdowns for 3 weeks and might not have even peaked yet.

This thing doesn’t go away unless you lockdown hard, and even then it can come back rapidly for any number of reasons. And if you’re going to reopen a community, you keep the borders shut tight. It boggles my mind how people in the UK (whom the state of Victoria is now comparable to in today’s daily cases) are now going on overseas holidays and then returning with no quarantine at either end. Hope your fucking tshirt suntan is worth another lockdown, assholes.

I’ve been watching Australia, as it’s winter for you folks, and this is my big fear — being indoors is what does it. That’s why southern states where it’s very hot in our summer and reliant on AC have been on fire — summer in Texas is like winter in Maine in terms of how much time is spent inside avoiding the elements. AC is not so prevalent in Europe (anecdotally, the French seem to fear AC ... and they may be right).

And the Victorian winter is, I believe, much milder than northern hemisphere winters, especially compared to almost all of the continental US and all of Europe above the Alps.

It’s ominous.

I posted this the other day but my biggest fear is that the only thing that actually stops this thing is locking down until there's a vaccine.

Masks may slow transmission, but it's only delaying the inevitable.

I have been saying since March-whatever, the day that this was declared a pandemic, that this is a race to a treatment or cure/vaccine.

There’s no reason to believe it is possible to stop otherwise. Science is capable. Society is not.

3rd straight day of record daily Covid-19 deaths in Florida.
Didn't someone publicly claim the fatality rate was low and steady just a short time ago, Mother?
Guess he didn't understand the term "lag".

On the other hand, once the weather gets shitty in October, maybe people change their minds about their needs to get outside again.

That's what I think will happen, but probably further out like November.

I wouldn't be surprised by a slow burn/increase through September and October as cooler weather arrives and we pack schools again. Sometime before Christmas, this thing will be raging in the northern hemisphere.

Sweden has told its people to plan on working from home for the rest of the year. That needs to be the approach with office workers and anyone else who really doesn't need to be inside exposed to other people and HVAC, not to mention their commutes on packed subways, buses and other forms of transit.

Trump's "China Virus" briefing today is an all timer....

"California, Oregon, Washington, Virginia, Illinois, Michigan all thought they had it under control but they didn't, its come back, those states have governors who were very popular, but they're not so popular now. And I',m not saying its their fault..."
Then 3 minutes later"Florida, Arizona and Texas are getting it under control"

Also noted how we're doing the best of any country in the world.

Last edited:
Lost the tweet but it was pretty spot on

States in a alternate universe, Congress is now on month number four of hearings investigating why the Clinton administration allowed just over 600 deaths in this pandemic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom