Global Pandemic Part III: A typical Spring, Just Ask China - Page 44 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2020, 02:12 PM   #861
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:57 AM
On the bright side, falling NYC real estate is making my dreams of a Manhattan pied-a-terre that much closer to reality.

Old 08-24-2020, 03:54 PM   #862
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
well i'm in the exact situation of living in an extremely overpriced downtown real estate market where the premium i'm paying in rent to live here hasn't exactly given me much value for the past six months and doesn't look to get back to what it was any time soon.

it's fucking expensive to live here in a tiny one-bedroom apartment. now there's nothing to do around here except sit by the lake and go out to eat. i can do that in a much cheaper city and in about a month it'll be too cold to even do that. i never have to go back to the office and can do my job remotely from anywhere in the country. i don't really want to live here anymore, and my SO and i have been considering a move out of the city to a place where we can actually afford to buy a home and have a family, which is completely impossible even on our combined above-average salaries in downtown toronto.

so excuse me if i don't exactly feel sympatico with a billionaire calling people like me phony, whiny quitters doomed to failure just because the world being upended has caused us to reassess our life situations and maybe make some changes.

This is how i viewed the piece and same situation here in San Diego. I’ve started to question why pay a fortune for one bedroom when i could own a house somewhere cheaper and yet still get the same pay or even keep same job.

The weather is tough to leave. But soon we’ll all be surrounded by firenados so maybe leaving is a good idea

Old 08-24-2020, 05:17 PM   #863
Blue Crack Supplier

I do think it’s a little premature to call cities dead. They are frustrating, right now, because the things that cities do best — art, food, theater, culture — are exactly the things we can’t do right now. Plus it’s summer and people want to be outside.

I also agree thet I wouldn’t want to be remote 100% of the time. But to only have to go in 1-3x a week, and to work remotely for August? Hell yes. A lot of us work punishing hours. Give us at least this.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:34 PM   #864
Blue Crack Addict

CNN is reporting that the Trump administration is asking if a vaccine could receive emergency authorization before phase 3 trials are complete. Motives obvious.

If this is true it's wrong beyond words.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:09 PM   #865
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

The vaccine will come with a months supply of Trump Steaks
Old 08-24-2020, 08:04 PM   #866
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
I do think it’s a little premature to call cities dead. They are frustrating, right now, because the things that cities do best — art, food, theater, culture — are exactly the things we can’t do right now. Plus it’s summer and people want to be outside.

I also agree thet I wouldn’t want to be remote 100% of the time. But to only have to go in 1-3x a week, and to work remotely for August? Hell yes. A lot of us work punishing hours. Give us at least this.
I don't think they're dead by any means, but there will be a significant down period.
They'll bounce back, but it will take a long time to get back close to 2019 levels.
Commercial real estate is going to suffer for a while.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:15 PM   #867
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
CNN is reporting that the Trump administration is asking if a vaccine could receive emergency authorization before phase 3 trials are complete. Motives obvious.

If this is true it's wrong beyond words.
I predicted this at least two months ago. It's going to happen and Russia was the first domino.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:26 AM   #868
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
very cool for a guy with almost a billion dollars in the bank to shit on people who are considering leaving one of the most expensive real estate markets in the world at a time when the benefits of paying to live there are far fewer.
I'd understand that sentiment if Seinfeld had gone after regular people for whom the economic reality is like you described, but as I understand this article was particularly in response to someone who certainly didn't leave because high prices drove him out of the city.

And what's this point of, "You have X amount of money, so please stop talking" that's become so en vogue lately? I see it again and again. Of course it has relevance when a rich person scoffs at people with low incomes talking about their struggles, but it shouldn't become a reflexive, "I don't like the argument, so let me hold his wealth against him."

I would venture a guess that someone like Seinfeld has sympathy for the economic struggles of people, and inflated estate prices driving out persons with what should be sufficient incomes, but that wasn't the argument here, since it was in response to a completely different type of person.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:30 AM   #869
Blue Crack Addict

Seinfeld drama aside, COVID will have major short and long term impacts on both commercial and residential real estate.

Businesses in high cost areas are doing the math and asking why they are paying for empty space when many/ most of their office employees are all too happy to work from home half or even most of the time. You can easily devise an office sharing mechanism - two people per office, each has it on assigned days and the rest of the time you work from home. If that cuts office space in half, who wouldn’t take it? As for residential space it’s exactly what Dave said - for a long time many people have been tied to very high cost markets because that’s where their employers are located. Anybody related to banking, stock markets and associated professional services had to pay an arm and a leg to live where these are located. If they are working from home then there is zero reason to stay.

I have joked that I don’t want to live out the next pandemic in a highly populated area and it’s really only a partial joke...
Old 08-25-2020, 11:31 AM   #870
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
I'd understand that sentiment if Seinfeld had gone after regular people for whom the economic reality is like you described, but as I understand this article was particularly in response to someone who certainly didn't leave because high prices drove him out of the city.

And what's this point of, "You have X amount of money, so please stop talking" that's become so en vogue lately? I see it again and again. Of course it has relevance when a rich person scoffs at people with low incomes talking about their struggles, but it shouldn't become a reflexive, "I don't like the argument, so let me hold his wealth against him."

I would venture a guess that someone like Seinfeld has sympathy for the economic struggles of people, and inflated estate prices driving out persons with what should be sufficient incomes, but that wasn't the argument here, since it was in response to a completely different type of person.
Thank you.
Old 08-26-2020, 12:34 PM   #871
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Global Pandemic Part III: A typical Spring, Just Ask China

https://twitter.com/aslavitt/status/...617424896?s=21

Makes no sense if true. Trump has basically overtaken the CDC and bullied the FDA.

https://twitter.com/cnn/status/1298658967611215874?s=21
Old 08-26-2020, 12:40 PM   #872
War Child

"Anyone who needs a test can get one" is true if you decide no one needs a test.
Old 08-26-2020, 01:17 PM   #873
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Dunk View Post
"Anyone who needs a test can get one" is true if you decide no one needs a test.
Zero tests = zero cases, The Mighty Trump killed Covid.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:35 PM   #874
Blue Crack Addict

Apparently the CDC and the FDA are now run by Kim Donald Jong Trump.

One more flush down the toilet for what remains of the US.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:50 AM   #875
Blue Crack Addict

Dr. Fauci said that he was having the surgery for the polyps on his vocal cords when the CDC testing guidelines were changed. Quick, do it while Fauci is under!

In other news..Just don't drink or inject insect repellent, even if Dr Cheeto suggests it.

British scientists have discovered that an active ingredient found in insect repellent can kill COVID-19, according to a report.

Researchers at the UK’s Defense Science and Technology Laboratory determined that Citriodiol can help fight coronavirus in a preliminary study, Sky News reported.

Insect repellents containing Citriodiol are not believed to be enough alone to protect people from the virus but can be used as an additional layer of defense along with face masks, hand washing and other health recommendations, according to the report.

Citriodiol — which has approval from the US Environmental Protection Agency — is derived from the leaves and twigs of the eucalyptus citriodora tree.

Jacqueline Watson, managing director of Citrefine, which produces the naturally sourced active ingredient, previously said she was optimistic that it could help stop the spread of the virus.

“What we can say is that we do feel there is a very good chance it could work against this virus but it does of course need to be thoroughly tested,” she said.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:17 PM   #876
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

https://twitter.com/topherspiro/stat...227045889?s=21

https://twitter.com/topherspiro/stat...314459140?s=21

https://twitter.com/juliettekayyem/s...781594115?s=21

Glad my sofa is really cozy
Old 08-29-2020, 09:17 AM   #877
Blue Crack Distributor

The government will undoubtedly fuck their side of things up, but private enterprise will have plenty of doses which can conceivably be purchased by the federal government if Biden wins - or, if all else fails, the states.

We are also very close to a roll out of an accurate portable test that gives results in 15 minutes - which will be a game changer for businesses, schools, travel, hospitality and the live event industry. So, like, everyone.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:47 PM   #878
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

https://twitter.com/aslavitt/status/...839906305?s=21

America Alone
Old 09-01-2020, 03:52 PM   #879
Blue Crack Distributor

I believe it's America First, actually
Old 09-01-2020, 08:10 PM   #880
Rock n' Roll Doggie