Global Pandemic Part III: A typical Spring, Just Ask China - Page 41 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-11-2020, 11:55 AM   #801
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,516
Local Time: 12:45 PM
Von Miller of the Broncos caught covid early on and said that it knocked the crap out of him. He lost 15lbs, fatigued all the time, and more than a few moments thought he was going to need a hospital visit.

He appears to be fully recovered but i have to imagine that his experience will be similar to a lot of athletes.

If you drop 10-20lbs during the season that’s a lot of muscle and power that’s not going to come back after you are cleared to play. So a 2 week absence could turn into a month or even a season.

I just can’t fathom any parent wanting to risk the health of everyone with this thing. Ok, get it football is rough. It wrecks the human body in its own way. But one person getting a concussion during the game doesn’t mean six others suddenly drop with head injuries a few days later.

But hey this is Freedom Country
__________________

BEAL is offline  
Old 08-11-2020, 12:06 PM   #802
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,473
Local Time: 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Oh it's completely about the money.


For colleges, yes. For Pence, it’s about doing the white, Christian thing.
__________________

Irvine511 is offline  
Old 08-11-2020, 12:07 PM   #803
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,516
Local Time: 12:45 PM
Von Miller of the Broncos caught covid early on and said that it knocked the crap out of him. He lost 15lbs, fatigued all the time, and more than a few moments thought he was going to need a hospital visit.

He appears to be fully recovered but i have to imagine that his experience will be similar to a lot of athletes.

If you drop 10-20lbs during the season that’s a lot of muscle and power that’s not going to come back after you are cleared to play. So a 2 week absence could turn into a month or even a season.

I just can’t fathom any parent wanting to risk the health of everyone with this thing. Ok, get it football is rough. It wrecks the human body in its own way. But one person getting a concussion during the game doesn’t mean six others suddenly drop with head injuries a few days later.

But hey this is Freedom Country
BEAL is offline  
Old 08-11-2020, 12:17 PM   #804
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,205
Local Time: 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
For colleges, yes. For Pence, it’s about doing the white, Christian thing.
There's billions of dollars for corporations and TV and what not tied up in college football. Colleges aren't the only ones who will take a hit if they cancel here.

There's no doubt that the redder states have bigger interest in college football than the bluer states in the northeast - so sure, they're also playing to their base. But end of the day it always starts and ends with the dollar.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 08-11-2020, 12:33 PM   #805
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,205
Local Time: 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
Von Miller of the Broncos caught covid early on and said that it knocked the crap out of him. He lost 15lbs, fatigued all the time, and more than a few moments thought he was going to need a hospital visit.

He appears to be fully recovered but i have to imagine that his experience will be similar to a lot of athletes.

If you drop 10-20lbs during the season that’s a lot of muscle and power that’s not going to come back after you are cleared to play. So a 2 week absence could turn into a month or even a season.

I just can’t fathom any parent wanting to risk the health of everyone with this thing. Ok, get it football is rough. It wrecks the human body in its own way. But one person getting a concussion during the game doesn’t mean six others suddenly drop with head injuries a few days later.

But hey this is Freedom Country
Look I never said that it's nobody will experience a bad case. But it is true that the odds of younger athlete having a really bad case are slim. Not impossible, but slim.

It is also kinda silly to say football can't play but students can go back to campus. What are you really accomplishing?

Look I'm in favor of pushing all non professional fall sports to the spring - college football included.

But the biggest issue with playing is NOT kids dying. The biggest issue with playing is the same as the biggest issue with this damn thing in general - that the little asymptomatic bastards become super spreaders.

And look - we're probably going to live with this virus forever. The vaccine isn't going to get rid of it. The hope is simply that we can make this virus to actually be like the flu (and for real this time, not gzusfrk's pipe dream or an Ordinary Spring ).

When it is actually really just like the flu? Tens of thousands of eople still die from the flu - mostly the elderly, but occasionally a young and healthy person as well. It's just closer to 20,000 to 60,000 and not, ya know, 200,000 on a couple of months.

But at some point we will need to decide on an acceptable level or death from this thing and get on with our lives, as morbid and awful as that may sound. We've been doing just that for decades.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 08-11-2020, 02:30 PM   #806
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,516
Local Time: 12:45 PM
I agree that we do need to start thinking long term and how do we live with this thing.

We must suppress it though. We can't function with a 50,000 case a day outbreak for years at a time (assuming there really isn't a long lasting immunity). Human beings won't go to work, school, or sports if they're afraid. Throw in our healthcare system isn't set up to handle wave after wave of infections.

The month of May was a good experiment. Most states tried to get on with life, and after four to five weeks, their hospitals got overrun.

It's not going to happen under Trump, but maybe if Biden can take over we get a full on national shutdown. 4-5 weeks, Euro/Asia style. Suppress the virus. Instead of getting down to the 20k cases we had at end of April, we get down to hundreds.

Then we have a plan on how to roll people back into jobs, schools, sports. Then react quickly when cases flare up. Much easier to trace and isolate a few hundred people versus a football stadium crowd.

The thing we do have going for us is the science and treatment will get better. As you said, somehow we have to get this bug to be as lethal as the flu. Vaccines, therapies, and our own immune system adapting over time.

The other discussion is that this pandemic has showed how big of a failure this American experiment has become. I'm not as against capitalism as some on here, but what we have isn't that. It's crony capitalism at best.

This pandemic does provide us with a chance to change how our society and country should look. Healthcare, Universal Income, how we work, play, eat, and of course how we treat one another. Innovation should blossom out of necessity.

I don't think Biden is that guy, but maybe he can surround himself with people who will challenge for a new social contract. Going back to the way things were, that'll just repeat this cycle. That "normal" was the cause for this reality. If we want something better, we have to change for the better.
BEAL is offline  
Old 08-11-2020, 09:17 PM   #807
Blue Crack Supplier
 
dazzledbylight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: in the sound dancing - w Bono & Edge :D
Posts: 34,830
Local Time: 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyskin View Post
That’s Australia, mate. The secret to New Zealand’s success is the local fauna.

Attachment 12586
Ummm....
.... a kiwi bird Lazer Zapping covid19?!
dazzledbylight is offline  
Old 08-12-2020, 12:05 PM   #808
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,516
Local Time: 12:45 PM
https://twitter.com/zackcooperyale/s...442731520?s=21

Let’s see if this is truly a rocky transition from one platform to another

But with this administration it’s difficult to not draw on darker thoughts
BEAL is offline  
Old 08-13-2020, 05:17 AM   #809
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,729
Local Time: 01:45 PM
We are on an upward slope again in Germany. Last week consistently around 800 new cases per day, then progressing to 1000, and yesterday it was close to 1500.

The last 2.5 months felt a different kind of normal, which makes it difficult to keep up the attention. And then there were summer travels. Really not surprising.
Vincent Vega is offline  
Old 08-13-2020, 11:48 AM   #810
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,205
Local Time: 07:45 AM
one of the main arguments from the college athletes themselves about why they should be playing is that they are safer from covid in the environment that has been set up at many of these bigger schools- which includes testing and isolation from the rest of the student body - vs., well, this...

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status...32308077174784


... aaaaaaand they're not wrong.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 08-13-2020, 12:27 PM   #811
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,516
Local Time: 12:45 PM
Something happened over the course of a week regarding shutting down college football.

The Big10 went from releasing their schedule, modifying some practice rules, to having an emergency meeting over the weekend. Rumors came out they were going to cancel / postpone.

But why ? All this effort and then poof.

Stories came out about athletes with or recovering from Covid having some heart / cardiac issues.

Could it be theres some damaging health issues that haven’t been released to public yet and these conferences are trying to get ahead of ?

I know these kids don’t get AS sick as us adults, but i still wonder about these 300lbs 18-20 year old kids. Some are great athletes but that’s a lot for their hearts to support even in the good times
BEAL is offline  
Old 08-13-2020, 08:57 PM   #812
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,205
Local Time: 07:45 AM
But the schools are still open.

As long as the schools are open, they are no safer not playing than they are playing.
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 08-13-2020, 10:19 PM   #813
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,516
Local Time: 12:45 PM
I know, it’s why i don’t know what the hell happened.

And if it were up to me I’d have everywhere remote or delayed.

We need a true lockdown, suppress and then have a damn testing - tracing program up and running.

Then schools could reopen.

But we’re around five months from a plan like that even being proposed.

We are in a lot of trouble until science can make this thing less severe
BEAL is offline  
Old 08-14-2020, 02:51 PM   #814
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,460
Local Time: 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
But the schools are still open.

As long as the schools are open, they are no safer not playing than they are playing.


Making them play is making unpaid individuals choose between their opportunity/eligibility/glory/career or their health.

The schools are open but the students have free will to be around others or not. In football, they have to accept the risk of 30-60 routine interactions plus 20 or more new interactions per game.

Also again. Not paid.
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 08-14-2020, 03:54 PM   #815
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Headache in a Suitcase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: DC
Posts: 68,205
Local Time: 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Making them play is making unpaid individuals choose between their opportunity/eligibility/glory/career or their health.

The schools are open but the students have free will to be around others or not. In football, they have to accept the risk of 30-60 routine interactions plus 20 or more new interactions per game.

Also again. Not paid.
Ahhhh jeez there's so many different tangents to go here.

Firstly... and this coming as someone who is in favor of completely dismantling the youth sports recruiting landscape as we Americans know it in favor of adopting a European club soccer model... alas... they do receive compensation. They receive around 50k a year on tuition, room, board and food, world class training in their chosen field and many other perks that most don't even realize.

Funny who we all readily acknowledge that college costs are outrageous and generations of students into debt immediately upon entering the workplace while simultaneously dismiss the free college that athletes receive as nothing because college athletic departments make a lot of money (ignoring that a large portion of D1 athletic departments operate on the red)

ALAS

Again... many many things wrong with college sports and I'm in favor of destroying the entire model all the way down to grade school for a multitude of reasons. And players should be able to be compensated for use of their likeness and sign sponsorship deals... but paying them outside of what they already receive is a death blow for college sports. Which is fine, cause, again, would like to see it happen anyway.


I DIGRESS

the people pushing to play here is actually the student athletes themselves. The schools / conferences are the ones saying no.

Concern for liability? Probably plays a big part.

Concern about the player movement to unionize that has gained steam over the past few years, and REALLY picked up steam when one group of student athletes dedicated to social change and another group with a "let us play" message, led by the most visible face in college football, joined forces right before this decision? Yea, that might have something to do with it as well.

Concern that the departments will hemorrhage money without fans in the seats and better to just call it off and hope for the spring? Yup.

The top teams also had extensive testing programs and had their athletes separated from the student body, arguably making them safer than the average Joe who still has to to to class and still has to go to the dining hall and, let's face it, will likely socialize.


So yea... Long story short? I'm in favor of shutting schools for the fall completely. But I'd you're going to be open with students on campus? Stopping play is not doing anything and is just a half measure with some shady intentions behind it disguised as "doing the right thing."
Headache in a Suitcase is offline  
Old 08-14-2020, 06:22 PM   #816
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 18,460
Local Time: 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Ahhhh jeez there's so many different tangents to go here.

Firstly... and this coming as someone who is in favor of completely dismantling the youth sports recruiting landscape as we Americans know it in favor of adopting a European club soccer model... alas... they do receive compensation. They receive around 50k a year on tuition, room, board and food, world class training in their chosen field and many other perks that most don't even realize.

Funny who we all readily acknowledge that college costs are outrageous and generations of students into debt immediately upon entering the workplace while simultaneously dismiss the free college that athletes receive as nothing because college athletic departments make a lot of money (ignoring that a large portion of D1 athletic departments operate on the red)

ALAS

Again... many many things wrong with college sports and I'm in favor of destroying the entire model all the way down to grade school for a multitude of reasons. And players should be able to be compensated for use of their likeness and sign sponsorship deals... but paying them outside of what they already receive is a death blow for college sports. Which is fine, cause, again, would like to see it happen anyway.


I DIGRESS

the people pushing to play here is actually the student athletes themselves. The schools / conferences are the ones saying no.

Concern for liability? Probably plays a big part.

Concern about the player movement to unionize that has gained steam over the past few years, and REALLY picked up steam when one group of student athletes dedicated to social change and another group with a "let us play" message, led by the most visible face in college football, joined forces right before this decision? Yea, that might have something to do with it as well.

Concern that the departments will hemorrhage money without fans in the seats and better to just call it off and hope for the spring? Yup.

The top teams also had extensive testing programs and had their athletes separated from the student body, arguably making them safer than the average Joe who still has to to to class and still has to go to the dining hall and, let's face it, will likely socialize.


So yea... Long story short? I'm in favor of shutting schools for the fall completely. But I'd you're going to be open with students on campus? Stopping play is not doing anything and is just a half measure with some shady intentions behind it disguised as "doing the right thing."


So many tangents to go on here.

They do not get paid. Do not pretend like they are getting 50k a year. That’s bullshit. Total fucking BS. They generate billions and see zero go into their pocket. They’re all adult aged and the system requires that they buy into it. They get a degree paid for which is only relevant for those who are actually interested in getting a degree. It isn’t their choice though - they’re obliged to get a degree to be part of the system. You know this. And not all are on scholarship. You know this too. Scholarship and facilities are nothing more than an investment scheme. The university literally pumps money back into itself so they can get free/cheap labor to star on tv for them.

Also, they can’t walk away from this because they are pre-professional. So they currently live on student/poverty level wage. This is like claiming PhD students secretly get paid 100k a year (but are required to re-invest 70k back into their professors and are required to pay for the facilities they use lol). Total nonsense, college sports are firmly unpaid and exploitative.

I’m sorry but that first segment had to be the most half naked headache attempted takedown ive ever seen you post.

As for the second part, you can cite whatever prominent athlete you want because yeah, some of them are out there saying let us play. Oh, guess what! They’re a bunch of “apolitical” lowkey Trump toting southern boy potential 1OA picks who have millions on the line. Plus, young people have proven to be irrational in this pandemic. And you and I both absolutely know that the conferences, behind closed doors, want to play. Everyone knows their posturing to cancel is not their intent. The conferences aren’t saying no.

Anyways. You didn’t answer the point about path crossing and contact exposure. Schools can be open and you face some level of threat n if you’re a student athlete. If you’re a student athlete that now is pressured to play because the league is resuming, or even if it’s not pressure but they really just want to play, you’re talking some level of threat m where m is orders of magnitude larger than n. You’re making it seem like “welp schools are open might as well” is a valid response, as though contact is a binary 0 1 state when it’s not. You, me, and everyone else should be in a consistent state of minimization.

Professional athletes have the luxury of earning millions of dollars. They have the luxury of a bubble. They have the luxury of opting out with nearly no setback. College athletes have none of this and should not die on a fucking hill earning money for the conferences.
LuckyNumber7 is online now  
Old 08-14-2020, 06:53 PM   #817
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,516
Local Time: 12:45 PM
CDC released a report saying best estimates are around a 3 month immunity after recovery from Covid19.

Mask up!!
BEAL is offline  
Old 08-14-2020, 07:04 PM   #818
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
BEAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,516
Local Time: 12:45 PM
CDC released a report saying best estimates are around a 3 month immunity after recovery from Covid19.

Mask up!!
BEAL is offline  
Old 08-14-2020, 07:45 PM   #819
More 5G Than Man
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 68,534
Local Time: 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
CDC released a report saying best estimates are around a 3 month immunity after recovery from Covid19.

Mask up!!
Would love to know where they got this info from, what studies they utilized, if this is a recommendation regarding testing protocols or being passed off as a statement of fact, etc. I have yet to see a single study that found t cell memory wanes over an extended period, only that antibody titers drop. This is not a practical issue regarding immunity because antibodies can be created quickly with the presence of memory t cells, which is a central component of vaccine development.

https://www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S...674(20)31008-4
LemonMelon is offline  
Old 08-14-2020, 07:58 PM   #820
War Child
 
Jerry Dunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: South Philadelphia
Posts: 939
Local Time: 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
Something happened over the course of a week regarding shutting down college football.

The Big10 went from releasing their schedule, modifying some practice rules, to having an emergency meeting over the weekend. Rumors came out they were going to cancel / postpone.

But why ? All this effort and then poof.

Stories came out about athletes with or recovering from Covid having some heart / cardiac issues.

Could it be theres some damaging health issues that haven’t been released to public yet and these conferences are trying to get ahead of ?

I know these kids don’t get AS sick as us adults, but i still wonder about these 300lbs 18-20 year old kids. Some are great athletes but that’s a lot for their hearts to support even in the good times
I suspect the issue is much simpler: the lawyers got in their ear and told them the liability risk is too great, and that postponing for the spring and hoping testing and treatment catches up over the next 4-5 months is a safer play.

By all accounts, these decisions are being made solely by the university boards/presidents, and that they are intentionally leaving the athletic departments and programs out of the conversation. That should tell you a lot.
__________________

Jerry Dunk is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×