Global Pandemic Part III: A typical Spring, Just Ask China

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Australia and New Zealand have it by far the easiest due to not sharing any land borders with another nation. That alone makes the containment immeasurably easier.

Miss yoga. Teaching. Being around friends in that setting. But not going back until we’ve got it under control. Which could be years.

I’m afraid the way things are trending, both pandemic and politically we’re going to look back on 2020 and think those were the good times!

Australia and New Zealand have it by far the easiest due to not sharing any land borders with another nation. That alone makes the containment immeasurably easier.

And measurably smaller populations, spread out over larger areas also, Continentally isolated. They are lucky they got a head in front, otherwise none of that really would have mattered.

I think yesterday NYC had "only" 1 death (obviously a world breaking apart for the family involved)
Mask wearing is mostly good here at least in my experience.

I met up with my sis for the first time in about 7 months (we usually get together every 4 - 6 weeks), and ate outside. Not her first eating out, but mine yes. It was a gorgeous :heart: last day of summer.

While I don't do sports per se, I have to find my instructional drawings I did for the Tai Chi I learned, since I only remember bits if it.
I also love walking about my favorite, and new to me parts of our different Burroughs - and that's been a non starter since I usually commence that in mid-late April. I miss that. :(

Last edited:
Part of our problem here in the UK has been the inconsistent rules or the wide variety of them.

For instance where I live Manchester more stringent rules were brought in start of August due to rising cases in the wider Greater Manchester area, but then some places got relaxed again rules at the start of September. This meant that I could technically walk 1 mile away and be under completely different rules where I could dine inside with friends whereas in my immediate area I couldn't.

Even more comically in Leicester where one side of the road fell into a borough where people couldn't enter each other's houses but residents the opposite side of the road could.

There was probably some sense in the Swedish model in that you keep some basic rules for the whole duration that are easy to understand and follow without the chopping and changing (Sweden seem to do be doing ok without the wild swings of other places, will still take a lot of hindsight to see whether their approach was overall effective or not). No one in the UK has any idea what the rules are area to area and its just confusion.

Ultimately though I think a second lockdown would be disastrous economically and medically for other conditions. We are already starting to see a rise in metastatic cancer diagnoses from patients who were too afraid during the earlier lockdown to seek help or delays in diagnosis due to the shutting down of services.

Florida is open for business again!! All restaurants and bars can fully open as of today. And desantis will allow them to stay open even outbreaks occur

Seems like a means to get as many cases and deaths on record just in time for Election Day.

Try to keep people home if it’s deemed unsafe

Or they’re just psycho

Florida is open for business again!! All restaurants and bars can fully open as of today. And desantis will allow them to stay open even outbreaks occur

Seems like a means to get as many cases and deaths on record just in time for Election Day.

Try to keep people home if it’s deemed unsafe

Or they’re just psycho

People don’t get infected and die from COVID if you don’t report that they got infected and died from COVID.

Boston Globe

He listened to Trump and didn’t wear a mask. He died just days before the president announced his COVID-19 diagnosis

By Janelle Nanos Globe Staff,Updated October 5, 2020, 8:54 p.m.

Juan Ciprian, who listened to President Trump and did not wear a mask, died of COVID-19 last week. His family received his ashes the day after Trump announced his own COVID-19 diagnosis.

Stephanie Landaverde did everything right. The 24-year-old bartender took all the precautions she could as the pandemic began its spread through Massachusetts. She wore a mask, kept to a small circle of family members, and after restaurants reopened, decided not to return to work in order to protect her vulnerable parents and grandparents, who were all immunocompromised.

But her 81-year-old grandfather, Juan Ciprian, was less cautious. He was a Trump supporter and refused to wear a mask, parroting the president’s statements about the virus not being a concern.

He died last week of COVID-19. His family received his ashes the day after Trump announced his diagnosis.

“It was horrible,” she said. “We found out that Trump tested positive the day before my grandfather was cremated. It brought some anger into our hearts.”

At the outset of the pandemic, Landaverde’s tight-knit Guatemalan family in Framingham came up with a plan to stay safe. Landaverde would not return to work so as to avoid close contact with others, and her brother and uncle, who worked in manufacturing and at UPS, respectively, would keep away from vulnerable family members while they continued their essential jobs.

“I chose not to work in order to keep them safe, the thought of losing any of them seemed — it just wasn’t an option for me. We’re very family-oriented, and are traditional Latinos in that sense. My parents and grandparents require a lot of care, and I wanted to be available to them at any moment in case they did need me,” she said. “Between my parents and my aunt and me, we were trying to stay in a bubble. We were all very rigorous about it.”

Her grandfather didn’t share their concerns. “He was the only one that wasn’t complying. He was hearing all these conspiracy theories, and saying Trump said this or that,” she said. "He didn’t believe it was a real thing.”

Ciprian was a strong man who played the tuba in a marching band in Guatemala, and was a music teacher for much of his life. He wrote music well into old age, took walks every day, and didn’t have any ailments, said his daughter Reina Jeter. “He had a lot to live for and he was healthy.”

But he began showing symptoms of COVID-19 on Sept. 20, and was hospitalized on the 23rd. He died six days later. His wife also contracted the disease, and after being hospitalized was transferred to a rehabilitation home where she remains.

Landaverde’s grandparents live with her parents, and soon they too were diagnosed with COVID-19. Landaverde was beside herself: Her father has cancer, and her mother is a diabetic, and both were admitted to Framingham Union Hospital as their symptoms progressed.

With her grandfather’s health deteriorating, Landaverde’s mother began to decline as well. After learning of her father’s death, and without being able to say goodbye, her vitals dropped, and she was admitted to the ICU. “They had to mourn him while fighting COVID,” she said.

Eventually, she said, both her parents began to improve. Her father was released from the hospital and her mother was upgraded from the ICU, though she remains hospitalized.

Landaverde sent a message to the Globe from her mother, Maria Landaverde, who said hospital workers are “putting their lives in danger to save us.”

“We, all the people who have been affected by COVID-19, lost their jobs, got sick, or even died from it, deserve to be heard,” Maria Landaverde said. “My heart is with President Trump and wish him the best but the country needs him to stop playing politics and remember we are people.”

All told, seven of Stephanie Landaverde’s family members have contracted the virus in the past two weeks, including an aunt and her two children. They are now recovering at home. The family suspects that her grandfather introduced the virus into their midst, as he was the first to show symptoms.

So when Landaverde’s family learned of the president’s diagnosis soon after losing Ciprian, it only devastated them further. She said while the family is still mourning and still recovering, they’re also angry and feeling worried about how Trump will use his own diagnosis to suit his message.

“We don’t wish this upon anyone, nobody deserves to go through this, to feel so helpless,” she said. She wished the president a speedy recovery, but said she hopes that contracting the virus will teach him how dangerous it is.

“It only takes one little mistake right? And that’s all it took for my grandfather,” she said.

On Monday afternoon, Trump did little to show that he’d changed his mind: “Don’t be afraid of Covid,” he tweeted. “Don’t let it dominate your life.”

Landaverde’s grandfather wasn’t there to hear it.

We are so focused on this mask debate because the mask is a symbol. Its efficacy of preventing transmission is irrelevant.

The real bottom line in this pandemic is crossing paths. How many degrees of separation are you from everyone who currently has Covid?

The issue with this administration is that it not only rejects the symbol declaring it is not taking the pandemic seriously, but also it is rejecting the very concept of closing off paths of transmission. None of those people would have gotten Covid were they not unnecessarily gathered into one place, and it has nothing to do with wearing masks.

Don’t get me wrong... wear your mask. Please. But also... if you’re not going to wear a mask, you know... try to keep the count of paths crossed on two hands.

“We, all the people who have been affected by COVID-19, lost their jobs, got sick, or even died from it, deserve to be heard,” Maria Landaverde said. “My heart is with President Trump and wish him the best but the country needs him to stop playing politics and remember we are people.”

Fully agreed on this. Maybe there should be a series of PSAs or something of that sort, with people who've either had the virus or lost loved ones to it sharing their stories. They could air them often on TV or other media outlets, so that as many people as possible can hear the stories. And if the Democrats win in November, maybe they can figure out their own ways to help make these people's voices heard as well. Not only would people sharing their stories help potentially bring more awareness and understanding, but it's also a good way to make sure that those who've been impacted from this aren't being forgotten. It's one thing to hear the numbers, but when you put a human face on something, it can have its own impact.

Things have gone to shit here so they will be closing indoor dining, bars, gyms, restricting funeral/wedding sizes and so on. Frankly it was time because the prior guidance made zero sense - in the last week or so we were told we can’t see anyone outside of our household...but it’s totes ok to go to a restaurant with 75 people and have sweaty, heaving people at the gym next to you and so on.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...583a74-08b6-11eb-a166-dc429b380d10_story.html

Holy Angels, a nonprofit run by the Sisters of Mercy in Belmont, N.C., which provides jobs and other opportunities for people with disabilities, closed three of its businesses on Oct. 2 for a day of deep cleaning following a surprise visit from Ivanka Trump, the president’s daughter and adviser, who reported a negative test that day.

Sister Nancy Nance, vice president of community relations for Holy Angels, said the group took precautions not knowing immediately the status of Trump’s daughter or of others in her entourage. She said the businesses had just reopened after about six months in which they were closed to protect the medically fragile population served by Holy Angels.

“I don’t think the White House as a whole has handled the covid-19 pandemic appropriately,” Nance said. “They’ve downplayed it, and now it’s pushing people like me into a political arena that I don’t want to be in.”

first - nancy nance is an awesome name.

second - i'm sure losing nuns will be good for them at the polls.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/18/entertainment/flaming-lips-bubble-concert-oklahoma-city-covid-trnd/index.html

200611163848-the-flaming-lips-socially-distant-concert-stephen-colbert-super-169.jpg

It's funny to think about Bono in one of those plastic bubbles.

"You're gonna need a bigger bubble."

jaws-49.png

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/18/entertainment/flaming-lips-bubble-concert-oklahoma-city-covid-trnd/index.html

View attachment 12653

It's funny to think about Bono in one of those plastic bubbles.

I think Kelly the U2 cartoonist after the 360 tour had a set of - what are they going to do now after :)bow:) The Claw cartoons.
I believe one of her drawings had him in a bubble! :D

73k cases today in the US. I think this is like the third highest number ever (of course, on a larger number of tests, but case growth is outpacing test growth). And no sign of slowing down in the coming days.

27k new cases in the UK alone on Wednesday, unbelievable. Europe overall is pushing 100k a day.

At this point I think it’s fair to say the UK is more fucked than the US, as their next election isn’t until 2024 and Boris Johnson is completely uninterested in listening to his experts or giving an honest answer regarding his policies. Even in the highest of alert levels, which major cities such as Manchester and Liverpool are in, pubs are not required to close if they also serve meals. Meanwhile he is withholding support for these cities over a measly £5m in negotiation dispute and awarding lucrative tracing contracts to the usual old boy crowd.

At least Australia and New Zealand have things as under control as can be in the absence of a vaccine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom