Global Pandemic Part III: A typical Spring, Just Ask China

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Florida reporting in with a single day record 120 deaths, but keep telling us the death rate is "low and steady" Pence. That is until the lag swims up and bites you on the ass.

It was totally entirely not predictable that many days after large amounts of new infections, you would see more deaths. It is not like data exists for this particular situation…

It was totally entirely not predictable that many days after large amounts of new infections, you would see more deaths. It is not like data exists for this particular situation…

65845632.jpg

We're going to be slowly entering a new pattern here in California: fewer cases than our peak but with way, way more deaths than ever before, extending beyond our next low in cases. Much higher CFR. This is how things went in the northeast for months after the initial March/April surge before leveling out a few weeks ago.

I can say this because we're actually doing something about the situation with a systematic process of closing counties down based on data. LA hospitalizations are already growing at a slower rate than they were. I wish I could say the same about Arizona, Texas and Florida. Things look to be getting worse on both counts there, and will until an intervention is taken on behalf of their people. The only silver lining of deaths inevitably increasing is that maybe, just maybe the matter will finally be taken seriously.

Last edited:
As inviting as that may be, Tropical Storm Fay has saved the day.

Although you wonder if it’s for another reason, since it’s supposed to be past us by Saturday night.

Yeah supposed to be clear in Portsmouth by around noon, so we'll blame it on low ticket sales. :wink:

And what do I do with all these lobsters now?

Interaction:

A: “Covid death totals are being blown out of proportion. Hospitals are committing insurance fraud willy nilly to make Trump look bad.”

B: “Then let’s look at the overall death total month to month.”

A: “Can’t find that sorry.”

B: “I found it for Michigan. They had ~8000 deaths in April 2019 and ~13000 in April 2020. Between January, February, March, and May they had ~3000 more deaths in 2020 than 2019. That’s 8000 more deaths in the same 5-month span than the previous year in one state alone. *provides link*”

A: “Ah but they had 600 less in June! So opening up has caused it to get better!”

I don’t even know how to talk to my family anymore.

It’s maddening.

We don’t shut the country down for heart attacks!! For cancer!!!

These kids playing football are at greater risk from head injuries than covid!!! Let them play!! I need them to play and win so my life has meaning!!!

Yeah, I have certain “friends” on FB that are on the right and Trump supporters, which I’ve always dealt with, but some of their comments on Covid are just really depressing to read. Spewing conspiracy theory shit and FB memes as fact but not believing in the actual science is just really irritating to see every day.

The past 4 months has presented an amazing opportunity to complete a purge of former high school classmates whom I was friends with on Facebook but have had zero personal interaction with in 20 some off years - like the anti-vaxxer former cheerleader, or the dude that I was friends with when we were like 12 who went to the local shopping center with a shotgun. Because he fell for one of those "blm is planning on rioting in town" hoaxes that probably came from China.

Makes for a calmer, gentler experience.

Last edited:
I did the same. Once I saw 5G COVID nonsense that was the breaking point.

It’s funny to see the 5G vaccine conspiracy stuff when it shows the post was made by cellphone

Do people realize there’s no need to implant anything when you carry your phone everywhere

Leaving Facebook years ago has made my life so much better.

No doubt. I really want to do it at this point - unfortunately my family overseas all use it and it’s pretty much the only consistent way to stay in touch. Which is silly - it’s not as if email is complicated or time consuming but still, so long as social media is available people will use it instead.

No doubt. I really want to do it at this point - unfortunately my family overseas all use it and it’s pretty much the only consistent way to stay in touch. Which is silly - it’s not as if email is complicated or time consuming but still, so long as social media is available people will use it instead.

I’m in the same boat. My family is all overseas, my friends are all over. You find ways to keep in touch.

I haven't been on there in ages, partly because I've seemed to keep having some login issue whenever I have bothered to try in the past, but yeah, at this point if I ever actually think go back in there again I would either do a big ol' purge (which would likely include some of my relatives, but oh, well, I don't have the time or patience to read their BS) or just shut down the account altogether.

As horrible as the pandemic has been for pretty much everyone, I do have the privilege of not being a first responder. There is a severe mental tax placed on all of us by the pandemic, but theirs is the worst and most immediate.

Right now I'm going through what I'd call an information detox. I've been dealing with a ton of anxiety since my Ashley's trip to see her family and had several panic attacks over a couple weeks and now I'm having this derealization hangover of sorts where I'm just really checked out of everything.

I've learned to not get angry at myself for experiencing derealization because it's my brain's way of saying that I'm doing too much and need to pull back. So yeah, I haven't checked the numbers in a couple days, trying to stay off social media as much as I can. Mostly listening to music, doing chores, minding my own business.

Mainly I'm just trying to have a little bit of fun being alive, you know? It can be easy to forget how important that is when shit is consistently dull, repetitive or bad. I have a bad habit of idly taking in information throughout the day, most of it negative, just reading on my phone all day long. You don't realize how quickly that shit piles up in your psyche if you don't balance it out with anything.

The other thing is, like, I can't find work. Teachers are being let go, not hired, and there's no plan for extending unemployment. The majority of congress is willing to let us all die. So I have a choice. I can spend my days spamming applications and getting resentful when I don't hear back, or I can take a realistic perspective and make the most of what's in front of me. I can panic about economic fallout or I can be patient.

The reality is that the vast majority of us got robbed. This year got stolen from us. Some of us lost family members. Most of us lost money, or momentum. We should be pissed off and depressed. But with shit not getting better any time soon, the question becomes how to manage the time we've got. I don't have the answer to that, but I know that it doesn't involve spending all day long reading about the world going to shit and hating myself.

The major action I'm returning to in order to protect my mental health is approaching news on a need to know basis.

Do I need to know that the virus is dangerous? Yes.

Do I need to know that it's in my area? Yes.

Do I need to know how to keep myself and my family as safe as possible? Yes.

But I do know all of those things. I learned them months ago. So reading up on the daily numbers, people's experiences, how the rest of the world perceives our situation, all of it just clouds the water. I'm not really learning anything, only accumulating information.

Especially when it comes to the numbers, it's best to think about things in terms of averages over weeks and months. I'm glad that California is rolling back and fining people over masks, but we're not going to see the results of those efforts for at least 1-2 weeks, so why look at the numbers every day and get upset? I haven't seen the California numbers since Thursday and I'm good with that. Maybe I'll check up on them next Thursday.

But I'm glad the information is out there because, frankly, some people need to be scared. They're putting people in danger even if they're not as risk, so if one horror story or one death report scares them, so be it. But I don't personally need it because I'm already respecting the seriousness of the situation. I paid my dues back in March.

Take care of yourselves, everyone. No one else will do it for you.

Last edited:
One of my biggest fears with this pandemic is for Trump Admin and government to push an unsafe vaccine.

They already did it with their super drug hydrochloq Which killed people, a lot of vets

And people will take it. They drank bleach
Honestly it'll probably work. They're far along in testing. Maybe it will only work for a short amount of time - but work on other, better vaccines will continue.

We'll see what happens. But I expect a vaccine or some sort this fall. In October. "Coincidentally."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom