Global Pandemic Part III: A typical Spring, Just Ask China

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve got friends back in Iowa that are really nervous on what to do with their kids. One friend has a 10 year old, the other five.

Iowa is not enforcing distancing or masks.

Of course we aren't! Our state's leaders are completely on board with Trump and his lunacy, so why the hell would they dare go against that? Anytime my mom and I have gone out to the store for groceries it's been a bit of a mixed bag-some customers are wearing masks, others aren't.

On the plus side, the employees have all been wearing masks at any places we go, so there's that. I just hope that the higher ups are doing their part to help make sure they're safe beyond that as well.

Our landlord mentioned last week that she may have been exposed to the virus when she went to get a haircut, so she's been quarantining since then. Don't know if she's had the chance to get tested yet or not.

Combine Florida with no mask with no social distancing with Hydroxychloroquine and this is what happens:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/f...-hydroxychloroquine/ar-BB16rvGE?ocid=msedgdhp

heartbreaking.
I saw this going around yesterday but didn't want to post about it until a major news outlet confirmed it.

The mom is a big Q person, and an anti-vaxxer to boot. They kept her home and self medicated with the Orange Menace's drug of choice. Used her grandfather's oxygen tank when she turned gray rather than take her to the hospital. Only brought her in when it was too late.

Mom says her daughter died a patriot.

And the church event? It was an intentional. "let's get our kids covid cause it's a liberal hoax" things - not just some random church service.

It's absolutely heartbreaking and sickening.

This is murder via OAN.

A fired Florida whistleblower is really leading the charge on making more about this story public.

Here's the mom posting a list for an attorney who will help people sue if their kids are forced to wear masks

https://twitter.com/GeoRebekah/status/1280302542077870081?s=19

Her mom posted it the day before her daughter died.

Last edited:
Saw that story too and wanted to wait to see if any major outlet picked it up.

Q is going to end us all (hyperbole but kinda true)

We had to bring our old nanny back, starting this week, for our 2 year old as daycare centers are still closed and I'm going to be going to the office to do some virtual programming during the day starting on Monday.

It's a risk but we trust her, as she was with our youngest for a couple of years before he transitioned to preschool. And honestly we don't have much of a choice. She was tested before starting and is going to get tested each week. Thankfully testing is abundant here. If it still wasn't we might have gone a different route - but I'm unsure of what that route would have been.

Our preschool is supposed to reopen in the fall with smaller class sizes and what not, and for now we are planning on sending him. We'll see how things evolve as we get closer.

Our oldest is supposed to start kindergarten in September. We're still waiting on word from DCPS on which of the multiple formats they've suggested will be chosen.

I'd say there's probably a 50/50 shot that I get furloughed in the fall - for how long probably depends on how the vaccine is coming along. Hopping it doesn't happen but not holding my breath. Already at a 20% pay cut, suspension of raises, bonuses and 401k matching so it's the next step. Business is being bludgeoned. Zero money is coming in, everything is going out. We'll see.

This all sucks (and anyone who says ehrmagad you could be on a vernterleter... yea, I know. We don't have to compare levels of suckness).

Glad you got a nanny back. We are thinking of that alternative while figuring out when to go back to daycare. It's really impossible to find an ideal arrangement. In our case specifically, we like the idea of our child interacting with other kids as we speak Portuguese at home and would prefer him to be exposed to an English-speaking environment soon, but that might have to wait.

Sorry about the work-related mess, Headache. Hopefully the economic outlook is slightly better in the fall to help people avoid furloughs.

63K new cases today. Close to a 10% positive rate. And deaths are on the rise again. What a fucking disgrace.

At least I know my state is doing something about it. Can't speak for the others.

Probably should ignore the numbers for a while until the changes we've enacted can realistically show an effect, otherwise I'll just get annoyed and impatient.

63K new cases today. Close to a 10% positive rate. And deaths are on the rise again. What a fucking disgrace.

Just take a moment to let it sink in that America has failed where LITERALLY EVERY OTHER comparable Western nation and a good number of developing nations have succeeded. And not only failed spectacularly but appears to have exactly zero hope of improving current circumstances.

At least I know my state is doing something about it. Can't speak for the others.

Probably should ignore the numbers for a while until the changes we've enacted can realistically show an effect, otherwise I'll just get annoyed and impatient.

This is a good point - you have individual states that have reasonable leadership and plans. The issue is that there is no practical way of closing state borders and the good work can be extremely easily done away with due to travel.

Can you imagine what happens at Thanksgiving + Christmas? Beginning of influenza season, most of the country will be spending the majority of its time indoors, people attending large family/friends gatherings where you sit and eat in close quarters. It's bad enough to contemplate that scenario when the infection rate is relatively low/under control. But now imagine people traveling all over the country, many if not most from places which don't appear to give a shit about curbing the spread? It's infuriating.

This is a good point - you have individual states that have reasonable leadership and plans. The issue is that there is no practical way of closing state borders and the good work can be extremely easily done away with due to travel.

Can you imagine what happens at Thanksgiving + Christmas? Beginning of influenza season, most of the country will be spending the majority of its time indoors, people attending large family/friends gatherings where you sit and eat in close quarters. It's bad enough to contemplate that scenario when the infection rate is relatively low/under control. But now imagine people traveling all over the country, many if not most from places which don't appear to give a shit about curbing the spread? It's infuriating.
Well, I'm hoping that by the holiday season, kinase inhibitors and/or monoclonal antibody treatments will become the norm and take the sting out of the pandemic. These are in stage 3 trials and require a shorter time frame to prove efficacy than a vaccine would.

I'm more concerned about what the school year will bring. We know so little about the manner in which children transfer this virus and reopening schools is not simply an issue of education. These kids have no one to watch them during the day and many rely on school lunches to subsist with limited resources.

One of my biggest fears with this pandemic is for Trump Admin and government to push an unsafe vaccine.

They already did it with their super drug hydrochloq Which killed people, a lot of vets

And people will take it. They drank bleach

I wouldn't worry about an unsafe one as much as I would about one that's not particularly effective (think of influenza seasons where the vaccine was not a particularly good match), which then makes the hordes already opposed to vaccines and micro chipping and whatever other nonsense even more hardened to getting the next version or worse yet, their numbers growing because other people become convinced that these vaccines are a waste of time (except for their ability to track you anywhere you go).

95%

They're going to do it in Brazil first though, as soon as Bolsonaro AKA Mini Trump starts to panic. Which should be soon.

Bolsonaro is not facing electoral scrutiny for a few years, and has just reshuffled his cabinet to accommodate a bunch of centrist parties in order to remove any threat of impeachment. So he won't do it for political survival. Plus, he will in all likelihood survive his bout with coronavirus and become even more empowered about how "it's just like the flu" while praising the use of chloroquine. So no, thankfully I don't think he is under pressure to unleash a rushed vaccine and use my compatriots as guinea pigs. He will fuck up in many different ways, though.

Having seen this story in NYC, it's infuriating to read about the lack of PPE in Texas, Arizona and Florida 3 months later.

I feel extra bad in particular for parents who can't work at home, and may have trouble affording childcare. I feel the same for the teachers, School staff, and the kids. Right now I don't reckon this can really be done safely.

I'd be thrilled if it does! But with way some stat s are now? :huh:
I've heard a bit of suggestion that teachers strike if they don', feel safe for themselves, and their students. I think I'd support that.

The stupidity, wilful ingnorance, and malignant narcissisim of drump and Co are at like 87° heading off the charts. :sad:

Last edited:
Bolsonaro is not facing electoral scrutiny for a few years, and has just reshuffled his cabinet to accommodate a bunch of centrist parties in order to remove any threat of impeachment. So he won't do it for political survival. Plus, he will in all likelihood survive his bout with coronavirus and become even more empowered about how "it's just like the flu" while praising the use of chloroquine. So no, thankfully I don't think he is under pressure to unleash a rushed vaccine and use my compatriots as guinea pigs. He will fuck up in many different ways, though.
I hope you're right. Because the last thing any country needs is a reason to doubt their medical experts, who seem to have no platform in Brazil. Shit, at least we know to ask where they're hiding Dr. Fauci.

I hope you're right. Because the last thing any country needs is a reason to doubt their medical experts, who seem to have no platform in Brazil. Shit, at least we know to ask where they're hiding Dr. Fauci.

Oh, don't get me wrong. Bolsonaro will doubt the country's medical experts every step of the way. I just don't think it's likely that he'll go the "early vaccine" route for the reasons I mentioned. And his leverage over the pharmaceutical industry is just not as strong as Trump's, so I doubt any pharmaceutical company researching the vaccine will be rushed by him.

Just take a moment to let it sink in that America has failed where LITERALLY EVERY OTHER comparable Western nation and a good number of developing nations have succeeded. And not only failed spectacularly but appears to have exactly zero hope of improving current circumstances.

But hey, "America #1", right, Trump supporters?

This is deeply embarrassing and shameful. This is America's big, "You need a huge dose of humility" moment.

Plus, he will in all likelihood survive his bout with coronavirus and become even more empowered about how "it's just like the flu" while praising the use of chloroquine.

I know how this sounds and all, but it's really hard to sit here and think about the fact that a whole bunch of totally innocent people have died from this virus, yet assholes like him and people connected to Trump and Pence and so forth who get it, people who are openly complicit in causing so many of those deaths, I might add, are able to recover from the virus and move on like it's nothing.

The UK have fucked it big time too.

95%

They're going to do it in Brazil first though, as soon as Bolsonaro AKA Mini Trump starts to panic. Which should be soon.

It's more so the other way round, Bolsonaro is a rung above Trump in the dipshit stakes and seems to have had a more consistently concrete ideology.

Florida reporting in with a single day record 120 deaths, but keep telling us the death rate is "low and steady" Pence. That is until the lag swims up and bites you on the ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom