Global Pandemic Part III: A typical Spring, Just Ask China

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Florida, Texas and Arizona's rate of positive tests is so fucking terrible right now. All of them have been sitting between 11% and 20% the past few days. This will not improve with Trump removing federal funding for testing sites.

I was stunned to see that California just churned out over 95,000 tests in one day, to a rate of 7%. That's far from good, and worse than the 3.5% or so that was common before Memorial Day, but it gives me hope that we're at least trying.

I don’t think the morbidity will be as bad as it was in April since we’ve gotten better at treating the disease and the average patient is less grandma in the Bronx and more Becky doing body shots on the lake.

Also statistically speaking, many of the most vulnerable have already died in the states with early exposure.

I was stunned to see that California just churned out over 95,000 tests in one day, to a rate of 7%. That's far from good, and worse than the 3.5% or so that was common before Memorial Day, but it gives me hope that we're at least trying.

How are you doing? I know it was very stressful when it all started.

California was really more surprising to me in the beginning - the rates were much lower even in the higher-density cities. I don't put it in the same category as the southern states which are a total dumpster fire, courtesy of their "leadership."

How are you doing? I know it was very stressful when it all started.

California was really more surprising to me in the beginning - the rates were much lower even in the higher-density cities. I don't put it in the same category as the southern states which are a total dumpster fire, courtesy of their "leadership."
I'm getting by, thanks for asking. I took Ashley and our daughter to the airport yesterday because they're visiting family (who don't wear masks), so I'm worried for them, but here it's mostly just frustrated resignation rather than the constant anxiety that I was feeling in March. The reality eventually sinks in that we can only look after ourselves and, if we're lucky, the ones we love. If no one else wants to cooperate, that's life.

Despite our numbers climbing, Los Angeles has not been driving the statewide spike in hospitalizations (increasing but well below peak) or rate of positive tests (around 8-9%). The number of fatalities has been stable (about 30-40 on weekdays, down from 40+ in May). I think there's some vector exhaustion going on where even if transmission is increasing, the virus has been spreading consistently for months and reached a point where younger people are driving new infections. Hardly ideal, especially if they spread it to their families, but it explains why fatalities aren't increasing here the way they are in other parts of the state with older populations.

The border towns, San Bernardino County, Orange County (where they actively stopped wearing masks, forcing a reinstating of the mask order statewide) and San Diego County are seeing consistent 5-8% increases in hospitalizations that are quite troubling. Los Angeles County is closer to 2-3%. Not great, but manageable for now.

We don't.

Healthcare in Canada is a provincial issue, per our constitution. Which is why you also saw really different rates in different provinces. However, our provincial premiers basically adopted the same or very similar set of rules re: lockdowns, regardless of which party they belong to. That's the difference - like I said, the GOP sycophant governors have a lot of blame to shoulder here.
The blame is mostly at the federal level here. With zero leadership or federal coordination during this crisis, it left every state to fend for themselves. Under a normal administration could there have been a few states who went rouge? Sure - but the majority would have fallen in line.

The main threat of a Trump administration has always been what would happen in a time of national crisis. We almost made it through without having to answer that question... but then we had this Ordinary Spring [emoji769].

The reality eventually sinks in that we can only look after ourselves and, if we're lucky, the ones we love. If no one else wants to cooperate, that's life.

Its unfortunate that we all have to basically take this outlook, but that's where we're at. Take care of yourself and your family, and hope the majority of others do similar. Those who refuse to follow some simple and basic preventative protocols (the mask disavowers) can fend for themselves, just try and steer clear of them.

A crisis like this illuminates just how many selfish (and somewhat stupid) folks here are. Starting right at the top with the dude who won't wear a mask cause of his orange pancake makeup which just ends up on his shirt collar anyway.

Last edited:
Its unfortunate that we all have to basically take this outlook, but that's where we're at. Take care of yourself and your family, and hope the majority of others do similar. Those who refuse to follow some simple and basic preventative protocols (the mask disavowers) can fend for themselves, just try and steer clear of them.

A crisis like this illuminates just how many selfish (and somewhat stupid) folks there are. Starting right at the top with the dude who won't wear a mask cause of his orange pancake makeup which just ends up on his shirt collar anyway.
To be fair, this is what it looks like when he showers that shit off at night

giphy.gif

The blame is mostly at the federal level here. With zero leadership or federal coordination during this crisis, it left every state to fend for themselves. Under a normal administration could there have been a few states who went rouge? Sure - but the majority would have fallen in line.

The main threat of a Trump administration has always been what would happen in a time of national crisis. We almost made it through without having to answer that question... but then we had this Ordinary Spring [emoji769].

For sure there was a failure at the federal level to provide supplies, support and drive a unified message. But if the Republican governors weren't so far up Trump's ass that they are coming out of his mouth you may have had more responses at the state level to implement a proper lockdown and not open too early or too aggressively.

I don't mean to minimize Trump - he's beyond criminal in this, but let's not forget that his idiot party supported him all the way.

And if we're lucky and they get voted out of office later this year, they all need to be held criminally responsible. They've got people's deaths on their hands. We need to find a way to send a strong message to them that this shit is unacceptable, and make it clear that should we have another pandemic, everyone is going to follow the rules next time, no ifs, ands, or buts.

Houston’s largest hospital is at 100% ICU capacity. Stats showed 70%ish were non covid patients but covid patients were coming in faster and faster over the last month.

Talking about different countries compared to the USA, i think we have to look at how this virus is spreading here as tho the US is different countries.

northeast
West
South

Northeast was first to go through this mess and have managed to stabilize.

Now we’re seeing the West and South go through their peak and we don’t really know how high or how long it’ll last.

Despite NY blowing it in the beginning, they really got their shit together to bring the curve down. People seemed to work together there.

Will FL, NC, SC, TX, AZ, and CA do what it takes ?

TX governor has asked people to stay home if possible. Pausing their reopening (tho they’ve opened everything up to 75%). Will people stay home? With 4th of July can people wear masks when they gather ? Will they avoid large house parties ?

Here in San Diego people are pretty good at wearing masks. You need one to get in any business, but my complex no one wears one. Seems weird that sharing an elevator would be the ONE place you’d like some protection

I think we climb back into the 1000-1500 daily deaths by mid July.

Holy shit, we added 101,000 tests today. If we're only bringing in 5-6k new cases from that, I'm less worried.

Texas brought in nearly 6,000 new cases from 29,000 tests. [emoji15]

Last edited:
Houston’s largest hospital is at 100% ICU capacity. Stats showed 70%ish were non covid patients but covid patients were coming in faster and faster over the last month.

Talking about different countries compared to the USA, i think we have to look at how this virus is spreading here as tho the US is different countries.

northeast
West
South

Northeast was first to go through this mess and have managed to stabilize.

Now we’re seeing the West and South go through their peak and we don’t really know how high or how long it’ll last.

Despite NY blowing it in the beginning, they really got their shit together to bring the curve down. People seemed to work together there.

Will FL, NC, SC, TX, AZ, and CA do what it takes ?

TX governor has asked people to stay home if possible. Pausing their reopening (tho they’ve opened everything up to 75%). Will people stay home? With 4th of July can people wear masks when they gather ? Will they avoid large house parties ?

Here in San Diego people are pretty good at wearing masks. You need one to get in any business, but my complex no one wears one. Seems weird that sharing an elevator would be the ONE place you’d like some protection

I think we climb back into the 1000-1500 daily deaths by mid July.

The northeast isn’t done and until the whole country is on the same page, it can and will re-emerge. And it’s not a second wave. It’s a fire that wasn’t properly extinguished.

Just got our health insurance renewal rates effective July 1.
11.18% increase. When nobody has used the insurance as we're avoiding hospitals and doctor's offices due to the pandemic.
Unreal. These insurance companies are criminal.

I think that there is no sense comparing the US response to that of France or Canada. However, comparing the US response to that of the EU makes a lot of sense. These are still autonomous, independent states with widely different ruling parties, and widely different healthcare systems. And they as a whole have performed way better. Yes, the death rate is similar for now, but recall that they were hardest hit at the beginning when everyone was scrambling to figure out what to do. And they live in much more dense cities, with multigenerational living being far more common.

Just look at where the EU is today compared to the US and it tells you all you need to know about failure of leadership. But frankly, the citizens have to take some responsibility as well.

There's still so much unknown here and until we get that vaccine, get some room away from this, we won't really know the full story.

Clearly our nation has botched the response to this almost across the board - and across party lines. There are far right clowns with blood on their hands in the oval office, and progressive clowns with blood on their hands in Gracie Mansion.

There is evidence that this is becoming less lethal, but it's clearly not yet confirmed. It may just be that we're treating it better, or that the virus has already done such a number on the vulnerable through the first go around that a drop in mortality rate is inevitable. Only time and research will tell the real answer.

There's only one thing that is for certain here - for fucks sake just wear a god damned mask.

I think that there is no sense comparing the US response to that of France or Canada. However, comparing the US response to that of the EU makes a lot of sense. These are still autonomous, independent states with widely different ruling parties, and widely different healthcare systems. And they as a whole have performed way better. Yes, the death rate is similar for now, but recall that they were hardest hit at the beginning when everyone was scrambling to figure out what to do. And they live in much more dense cities, with multigenerational living being far more common.

Just look at where the EU is today compared to the US and it tells you all you need to know about failure of leadership. But frankly, the citizens have to take some responsibility as well.

The behavior of a certain segment of citizens is directly linked to our maniacal leader.

Though yes, in general, Trump’s politicization of coronavirus has prompted a “middle ground” where people justify their behaviors by saying it’s a compromise between what two sides want, and this pisses me off.

There is evidence that this is becoming less lethal, but it's clearly not yet confirmed. It may just be that we're treating it better, or that the virus has already done such a number on the vulnerable through the first go around that a drop in mortality rate is inevitable. Only time and research will tell the real answer.

Yes - hard to tell. From a virus' standpoint, it's better to be less lethal.

But it's also true that the people who died were the most vulnerable.

I think that we'll have to wait to see the figures in the fall - when kids are back in school, when people disregard social distancing at Thanksgiving and Christmas, if they pack the churches, go out to indoor malls on Black Friday, etc. Basically, all the things that happen indoors after September/October.

God willing, Trump will at least be figuratively gone in November and at that point I see far less reason for any Governor to consider continuing to lick his ass/balls.

Of course it’s Florida.

And they have zero plan and are taking no action to curb this.

Trump is allegedly cutting off federal funds for testing sites in at least five states. They're trying to keep it some sort of secret, but the rumors are out there. I'm sure the plan is eventual no funding for every state.

This is is way of not kidding about reducing testing to help his reelection. He's one sick bastard, ffs he's got to go. Fuck everyone who voted for him too.

Last edited:
They finally do have a plan, they're closing their bars! I believe their bars have been essentially open since early May.

Are they closing them? It says they are suspending “on-premises consumption of alcohol at bars” - so can you go and eat still? It’s such weird language - Texas also just shut down bars but they flat out said we are shutting down bars.

TX closing bars and some other businesses today at 12pm.

You want to feel despair and depression, read the comments of Gov Abbot’s announcement.

He betrayed Shiva!!! So many upset people, can’t go drinking at the bar with 4th July coming up!

According to Pence, we did it! We flattened the curve. All 50 states have opened safely.

Are they closing them? It says they are suspending “on-premises consumption of alcohol at bars” - so can you go and eat still? It’s such weird language - Texas also just shut down bars but they flat out said we are shutting down bars.
So bar/restaurants are open, bars are closed seems to be where they landed.

A co-founder of the ReOpen Maryland movement has said on social media that he tested positive for coronavirus this week but won’t work with public health officials trying to track the spread of the pandemic.

Tim Walters, a two-time Republican candidate for the General Assembly from Linthicum, said in a series of Facebook videos starting Tuesday that he has come down with COVID-19, the respiratory disease caused by the coronavirus.

Anne Arundel County was among the first counties in Maryland to establish a robust tracking system. The state of Maryland has also set up a contact tracing program.

Walters was having none of it.

“I will not share anybody’s information with the government. I will not do it,” he said.

In a second video posted Wednesday, Walters said he had been contacted by the state contact tracing team and decided to have his wife and members of his family tested. In the third video Friday, Walters said he was feeling better and considered his illness a spiritual challenge as he starts his own church that provided non-believers a chance to criticize Christians.

“No one ever got sick at any of our rallies, to include me! Start a church, and I get sick...” he said. “I got it because Satan deemed to get it. Because he wanted to quiet my work. To slow down the building of a church. That’s what this is about. But the world won’t see that. Why? Because they live behind a veil. They choose to live behind a veil. They choose to hate God.”

Lock him up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom