Global Pandemic Part III: A typical Spring, Just Ask China

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How do u know "the wife" is not also feeling similar, and would love to do (or her version there of) the same thing?!

I'm just saying. :wink:
Oh I know she is. She's not an intererence member, though, so I didn't reference her.

We both try to have a trip for ourselves each year. Mine just happens to always be to Vegas. Last year she went to Aspen.

I'm sure having Headache out of the house for a few days would be a vacation for her as well. :wink:
This is a true story.

Yeah I had a high school friend pass away from complications of COVID last weeek. He was only 39 and leaves behind 2 children (10 year old and 2 year old). He was already sick though as he had sickle cell desease and he got covid in the hospital while doing dialysis. Although I haven’t spoken to him in years, he was a good friend in high school and we spent a lot of time hanging out. So it was very sad news!

Sorry to hear that. And even worse to get it while trying to treat something else.

Covid definitely feasts upon people with underlying health issues. Of course in the USA that’s nearly half the country.

Yeah I had a high school friend pass away from complications of COVID last weeek. He was only 39 and leaves behind 2 children (10 year old and 2 year old). He was already sick though as he had sickle cell desease and he got covid in the hospital while doing dialysis. Although I haven’t spoken to him in years, he was a good friend in high school and we spent a lot of time hanging out. So it was very sad news!

Oh, I'm so sorry :(. Those poor children, too.

Oh, how terrible and sad! :(
And sickle cell is such a hellacuous disease to live with itself!

Dang... sorry to hear that

This thread can be locked now, Pence says we're winning the war against covid and fears of a second wave are overblown. So much winning!

On to tremendous projectile droplets at maskless MAGA rallies, woohoo!

Today 7 states brought in 60% of the cases and they were all in the southern half of the country.

Nobody should be surprised by this.

Los Angeles enters phase 3 at the same time a statewide mask order is put in place because cases are skyrocketing. Many counties had been shirking their responsibilities on this.

This is a good move. Reopening gets a bad rap. If absolutely everyone was wearing masks in public instead of being stubborn assholes about it, we would have things under control. But people have to be treated like children because they can't make adult decisions.

We now have a professional baseball team (Phillies) and hockey team (Lightning) that have seen outbreaks of COVID as they gathered to begin working towards the possible resumption of their respective seasons. The Phillies were working out in Clearwater, the Lightning are in Tampa. The NBA is trying to restart its season two hours east in Orlando. Florida is a hotspot now. This is on the heels of several top college football programs like Alabama and Ohio State seeing their own outbreaks as their players returned to campus.

Sports ain't gonna happen.

Yep Florida reported nearly 4,000 new cases today...not the state you want to be sent to work in a bubble in for a couple months at this point.

For work purposes I'm now evaluating the week-to-week trends of every county in the US. Basically everything below the 37th parallel is going in the wrong direction.

I have no intention of going to any bars or restaurants for the foreseeable future, and I live alone, so I'm about as safe as one could reasonably hope to be.

This puts people who are having weddings into incredibly awkward positions. If the venues are allowed to host gatherings of up to 250 people (or similar, depending on the state), it suddenly puts the onus on couples to make a decision because their deposits will be at risk. I have two weddings I am supposed to be in later this year, and I just assumed they'd get postponed a year because the venues wouldn't be allowed to have gatherings of that size. Suddenly I'm not so sure. I just know I'd be very uncomfortable going to one right now.

Do we have any anecdotes whatsoever of people catching COVID-19 while wearing a mask and following guidelines? I'm sure it happens, it has to, but the data doesn't really suggest to me that going to an outdoor gathering while wearing a mask is going to result in illness for the person wearing it.

The problem is people thinking masks are lame or inconvenient and going without them. Which is, unfortunately, the majority of Americans.

This puts people who are having weddings into incredibly awkward positions. If the venues are allowed to host gatherings of up to 250 people (or similar, depending on the state), it suddenly puts the onus on couples to make a decision because their deposits will be at risk. I have two weddings I am supposed to be in later this year, and I just assumed they'd get postponed a year because the venues wouldn't be allowed to have gatherings of that size. Suddenly I'm not so sure. I just know I'd be very uncomfortable going to one right now.

my wedding was scheduled for august 21 and we postponed it pretty much immediately in april once we realized there was no way we would be able to safely have 65 guests, including parents and grandparents, in one place this year.

on the other hand, my stepsister still has her wedding scheduled for july 4th despite the province having a ban on gatherings of more than 10 people and a requirement for everyone travelling in to quarantine for 14 days after arrival. she also has no intention of doing a web broadcast, she just seems to be hoping that there's some surprise announcement in the next week or so that the regulations are lifted and all 75ish guests will be able to attend just like in normal times. the entire family is trying to get her to see reason, and she will soon enough (she's not stupid but we think that she just wants to be truly forced to do it so that it doesn't feel to her like she made the decision to postpone). it's not a matter of deposits on anything either because it's being held at the home of a family friend.

but even if they did make that announcement that everything could go ahead as normal there's no way i would attend any wedding, family or otherwise, in a time like this. it would be irresponsible and selfish to put our parents, all of whom are over 60 and at least one of whom is mildly immunocompromised, into a situation like that without some kind of mandatory testing in place.

Last edited:
Do we have any anecdotes whatsoever of people catching COVID-19 while wearing a mask and following guidelines? I'm sure it happens, it has to, but the data doesn't really suggest to me that going to an outdoor gathering while wearing a mask is going to result in illness for the person wearing it.

You do have evidence of that in certain workplaces but generally speaking the rate of transmission is very, very low.

It doesn't appear to matter since half of America seems to have decided that masks are ruining their freedom. :|

Trump is very responsible for the anti masker movement. Plus he's just a cult leader, so they emulate everything he does and doesn't do. I'd venture a guess that almost all anti maskers are Trump supporters. Frankly I'd like to punch them in their selfish conspiracy obsessed faces.

The mixed messages sent by the Surgeon General, CDC, and Birx and Fauci didn't help matters.

my wedding was scheduled for august 21 and we postponed it pretty much immediately in april once we realized there was no way we would be able to safely have 65 guests, including parents and grandparents, in one place this year.

on the other hand, my stepsister still has her wedding scheduled for july 4th despite the province having a ban on gatherings of more than 10 people and a requirement for everyone travelling in to quarantine for 14 days after arrival. she also has no intention of doing a web broadcast, she just seems to be hoping that there's some surprise announcement in the next week or so that the regulations are lifted and all 75ish guests will be able to attend just like in normal times. the entire family is trying to get her to see reason, and she will soon enough (she's not stupid but we think that she just wants to be truly forced to do it so that it doesn't feel to her like she made the decision to postpone). it's not a matter of deposits on anything either because it's being held at the home of a family friend.

but even if they did make that announcement that everything could go ahead as normal there's no way i would attend any wedding, family or otherwise, in a time like this. it would be irresponsible and selfish to put our parents, all of whom are over 60 and at least one of whom is mildly immunocompromised, into a situation like that without some kind of mandatory testing in place.
I think you did a smart thing and saved yourself a lot of anxiety.

I have a wedding on August 22 and one on October 10. The August 22 one was rescheduled from April. Neither of the current dates have been rescheduled as of yet. Both couples have essentially said they don't know what's going to happen and are just playing it by ear for right now.

Mass. Has Lowest COVID-19 Transmission Rate In The Country, According To Website That Tracks Virus' Spread

June 22, 2020
State House News Service

Massachusetts now has the lowest COVID-19 transmission rate of any state in the country, according to a website that has been compiling state data and tracking transmission trends.

The current Rt for the coronavirus in Massachusetts — a measure of a virus's average transmission rate at a given point in time — is estimated at 0.67, according to the website Rt.live, comfortably below the 1.0 threshold that signifies rapid spread. The Rt value is essentially the number of people that one infected person transmits the virus to.

"The way you really get in trouble with this virus is the reproduction rate — you know, how fast does one person become two, become four, becomes eight, becomes 16, becomes 32 and the like," Gov. Charlie Baker said last week.

The District of Columbia has the second-lowest transmission rate, 0.69 according to the site. In New England, Vermont is the only state with an Rt value above 1, estimated to be 1.03 as of Monday. New Hampshire's rate is estimated at 0.93, Maine's at 0.86, Rhode Island's at 0.78 and Connecticut's at 0.72. The highest Rt value in the country belongs to Hawaii, at 1.57. Overall, there are 31 states with an Rt value at or above 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom