Global Pandemic Part III: A typical Spring, Just Ask China

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
because they don't want to get their WH press passes revoked and effectively lose their jobs.

Well they do have a WH press corps association, they must have some power to represent the reporters. They tried to do that to Jim Acosta a while back, revoke his pass- didn't work.

Trump didn't even take questions, so if they moved their chairs just to sit there it sure would look childish/authoritarian to revoke their press passes. Par for the course.

NYC Reports Zero New COVID-19 Deaths For The First Time Since March

Susan LaMarca
June 5, 2020

New York City has reported zero deaths due to coronavirus for the first day since the first New Yorker succumbed to COVID-19 on March 11.

via CBS New York

Although records from the city indicate that three deaths occurring between June 3 and 4th show “probable” connection to COVID-19 and could later be reclassified, the latest numbers inspire hope in comparison to reports from early April when the city’s death toll reached a peak of 590 lives lost.

After over three months in the shadow of the pandemic, things seem to be moving in the right direction for New York with regard to the virus.

“In the face of extraordinary challenges, New Yorkers have gone above and beyond to keep each other safe throughout the crisis,” said City Hall spokeswoman Avery Cohen.

from The Gothamist

Mayor Bill de Blasio has lifted the 8 p.m. curfew in NYC one night earlier than planned, following a night of demonstrations that saw peaceful protesters marching long into the evening without the same degree of violent NYPD response that occurred on previous nights.

Glad this happened :up:

The only numbers you should genuinely follow are the number of dead per day and the capacity of the hospitals that treat them.

Those are the two hardest numbers to lie about or to get wrong.

This is the part about science that people seem to ignore in that part of research and discovery is to get so much wrong before you find the truth.

How could we have known any of this back in March? But even if it’s true that asymptomatic doesn’t cause spread, we still have 120,000 deaths in three months.

Even if the virus mutates to become less severe had most of the country not taken precautions i think we hit 400-700k deaths at this same point in time

San Francisco mayor saved so many lives with her early shelter in place. Most of California dodged the virus bullet early on by solid governing.

I’d love nothing more than for this bug to turn out to be getting weaker and maybe we can have jobs come back, sports, less fear.

I’ll probably feel more confident if we get to October and the numbers still are doing the same as now

Have learned two more friends from NYC had COVID and have recovered ... but not fully. They continue to have issues and don’t feel 100%, even months later. These are robust men in their 30s and 40s, non smokers, one black and one white. It’s out there and it doesn’t care, and a full recovery is not guaranteed.

Please be safe everyone.

Arizona is looking really bad. That's what you get when you have a GOP governor itching to please Trump.

Have learned two more friends from NYC had COVID and have recovered ... but not fully. They continue to have issues and don’t feel 100%, even months later. These are robust men in their 30s and 40s, non smokers, one black and one white. It’s out there and it doesn’t care, and a full recovery is not guaranteed.

Please be safe everyone.

This is what scares me the most personally. Of course the risk of death is always there, but it’s more likely if i get a severe case of covid my lungs, kidneys, and recovery to pre illness never comes back. I’ll be 41 in a few months, I’m in good shape. Don’t smoke. Eat healthy minus most of weekends haha .... so I’m told by my nurse friends or others that “you’ll be fine! You’ll get it and won’t even know you have it!”

Maybe, we’ll see.

But i also think about how will athletes handle this ? College and pro. How many fans are calling for sports to resume no matter what. Yet a star player gets ill and never recovers, or worse dies ? Worth it ?

I’ll share that our country’s response to this pandemic has really depressed my view that the best values of humanity can prevail. At least in America. We are so driven by ego and greed that we can’t even care about one another while nature kills so many of our family, friends, and the vulnerable

And it comes from lack of leadership. Lack of any morale compass at the top.

Like this

https://twitter.com/mike_pence/status/1270862264279719943?s=21

Not a single mask. No distancing. All to prove some macho, anti intellectual stance. Real Americans ain’t scared of no virus.

But we’re scared of 75 year old antifa activists

I wish no harm on any human being, even trump. I hope he can find peace, happiness. Cause a man who’s at peace cannot be my enemy. Asking for a lot of course.

And because of his greed, his hatred, his delusion...and our inability to rise above it. We will share it all.

Everything is heating up in California as we seem to be reopening faster and faster every day. We're on to phase 3 on Friday. Newsom flat out said he's not worried about it because over the past three months we have accrued the resources necessary to handle whatever comes.

I'm just gonna stick with what I've been doing and try not to panic about what everyone else is doing. I can only be responsible for myself and my daughter.

Last edited:
Everything is heating up in California as we seem to be reopening faster and faster every day. We're on to phase 3 on Friday. Newsom flat out said he's not worried about it because over the past three months we have accrued the resources necessary to handle whatever comes.

I'm just gonna stick with what I've been doing and try not to panic about what everyone else is doing. I can only be responsible for myself and my daughter.

Same here. I stick to distancing at apartment complex (won’t get in elevator with more than one other person) and at grocery store. If i go out for a drink, it’s only outdoor patios and not over crowded (Pacific Beach looked like it always did last weekend...which in the before times was a shit show haha)

My current company sent an email today saying they are going ahead with returning to the office in mid July. My hope is that they’ll keep us that can work 100% remote that way and only bring back those they need the office space. I’m very much torn on what my response will be if I’m asked or told to come back in. I feel office spaces are probably the most likely spot to catch covid19, and to do so there when i can do all of my work remotely seems wrong.

The country is about a week away from having covid data from the national protests. I hope the bump isn’t large cause it would mean outdoors is safer, even in crowds.

Amazing still how Trump and DC have basically given up on the pandemic. 1000 dead per day means nothing

I also can't imagine our offices in the fall when everyone and their brother has a cold and is coughing, sniffling, etc. Last winter we literally recycled the same 3-4 colds person to person for 5 months because people won't stay home. It's absolutely maddening, particularly because people in my group/department can absolutely work remotely while sick or take sick days. It's not people who don't have the ability or can get fired, etc, but there is such a weird ethos of grinding it out as you're barely dragging your sick body around. Then March rolled around and our CEO's secretary got sent home when another executive heard her coughing. I can only hope this will be the new standard.

I'm not going back until after Labour Day, if I go back then. And even so it probably won't be for more than 1-2 days a week in the office.

My goal is to produce as much as i can during these remote times so when i say i don’t feel safe going back in they’ll have a hard time forcing me since I’ve proven to get stuff done.

I will say it’s a bit weird to be at my new gig for a month and I’ve never met a soul

Please be safe everyone.
:( Sorry to hear about your friends. Hopefully more time will help.

Sounds like a good attitude. Safety to you both!

I hope to get to a park or two 1x - 2x each of these 4 months, meet up w fam or friends at a distance once a month.. Have to go Traders Joe, too. Go early afternoon so no work crowds on the bus (no subway unless absolutely necessary - I use it all the time till covid19) with Mask, of course(!) once/month. Otherwise I'll been just be doing the neighborhood grocery etc.

So my outside activities will go from ?5% to 10% - 15%. Still a reduction of 85% - 90% .

I also can't imagine our offices in the fall when everyone and their brother has a cold and is coughing, sniffling, etc. Last winter we literally recycled the same 3-4 colds person to person for 5 months because people won't stay home. It's absolutely maddening, particularly because people in my group/department can absolutely work remotely while sick or take sick days. It's not people who don't have the ability or can get fired, etc, but there is such a weird ethos of grinding it out as you're barely dragging your sick body around. Then March rolled around and our CEO's secretary got sent home when another executive heard her coughing. I can only hope this will be the new standard.

I'm not going back until after Labour Day, if I go back then. And even so it probably won't be for more than 1-2 days a week in the office.

Good luck. Glad you can sit out the Summer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom