Global Pandemic Part II: Sequel Escalation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my favorite statistics for measuring the health of a country/state, how it's being impacted by COVID-19, and how they're responding to it is the percentage of positive tests coming in.

When a country is first testing for coronavirus, what inevitably happens is that the most infirm get tested first, resulting in the highest fatality rates and the highest percentages of positive tests. Over time, as the general population is tested more frequently, more mild cases and negative results show up in the data.

Here is the percentage of negative results in some countries that have been praised for how well they've handled the pandemic:

Australia: 1.1%
South Korea: 1.7%
Finland: 5.1%
Germany 6.5%

Compare those figures to some countries that have been hammered by the virus:

Italy: 9.9%
Spain: 16.1%
UK: 16.1%
USA: 16.7%

It's pretty clear that early, aggressive efforts to test and isolate reveal better results in the short term. Now, how are some individual states doing? The numbers may surprise you, and I'll tell you why folks in California should not be getting frustrated by the static figures we're seeing right now.

So, first off, let's talk about New York. Their current percentage of positive tests is terrible and the main reason why the USA's is so bad as a whole: 33.2%. That's abysmal, one of the worst in the world. Every third person who gets tested there pulls up a positive result.

However, we've been told that New York is doing better. And they are, even if they're still not where they should be. They've conducted over 350,000 tests in the last 2 weeks, but only pulled in around 75,000 of their 319,000 positives. So their number has dropped to 21% in that stretch. It's still poor, but clearly an improvement. They are trending in a decent direction.

Now, let's do California. People were critical of our testing early in the month, and rightfully so. Despite all our efforts to isolate, we were still bringing in positives 11.3% of the time just two weeks ago. Not in New York's tier, but much further from South Korea's than we would like.

However, we've been reporting 20,000-30,000 tests a day for the past week, which is fantastic. Our new number? 7.6% since the start of the pandemic and 6.4% over the last two weeks, even lower than Germany's. Our number of positives has been only slightly above what we were seeing three weeks ago, but we're testing like crazy now. That's great news.

Finally, here are some states that you wouldn't think of as being highly impacted by the pandemic and their percentage of positive tests:

Utah: 4.2%
Oregon: 4.3%
Tennessee: 6.5%
Washington: 8%

And some other states that are hotspots:

Louisiana: 16.9% (7.9% this week)
Pennsylvania: 21.6% (19.4% this week)
Massachusetts: 22.2% (18% this week)
New Jersey: 47.5% (37.5% this week)

So I'll say this to all the protesters whining about not being able to go to the beach: chill out. Things are improving, even if you have to break out the calculator for a second to put a number to it. Crazy to me that California has a lower percentage of positive tests coming in than Washington, but that is a testament to how well we've handled this on the west coast. Ultimately, the goal should be limiting deaths and getting the numbers of positive tests down. Many states are trending down in the latter, even if things are changing very slowly regarding the former.

Source for the numbers was a mix of Worldometers and covidtracking.com.

I thought you might [emoji57]

One last thing I felt like adding. For all of the efforts being made by Trump to suppress testing, this past week has been the US' most consistently prolific yet, at least in terms of reporting:

Average tests per day reported April 26-May 2: 231,385

Average tests per day reported April 4-25: 178,790

Additionally, our testing per million is now nearly 21,000, not far from Canada's 22,000 and above Hong Kong and Finland.

The shame of it is how long it took us to reach this point. Russia is far ahead of us with a very recent surge. We would be progressing far more quickly if the federal government wasn't actively impeding the efforts, but it's not like the numbers we've been bringing in are based on a lower number of tests than previous weeks. The opposite is true.

It would be great if there was a place that reported the number of tests conducted each day, but this is the best stat we have now for the country as a whole.

Last edited:
LM, the situation is a bit better in NY State. The current positive rate is now under 15% for the first time. I agree that it's a better indicator for the progress made, given that it is not as affected by the number of tests (though it was expected to go down once testing became available not only for those who were symptomatic). I've been tracking that figure for a while, and the trendline is pretty good compared to where we were a month ago:

plot-zoom.jpg

That said, yesterday was a pretty concerning day anecdotally, as New Yorkers (particularly wealthy ones) crowded parks yesterday in the first truly warm day of the year.

And frankly, the reliance on mass transit makes it so difficult to foresee the next few months. "Reopening" New York is kind of impossible given that most people spend at least an hour a day inside crowded subway cars.

LM, the situation is a bit better in NY State. The current positive rate is now under 15% for the first time. I agree that it's a better indicator for the progress made, given that it is not as affected by the number of tests (though it was expected to go down once testing became available not only for those who were symptomatic). I've been tracking that figure for a while, and the trendline is pretty good compared to where we were a month ago:

plot-zoom.jpg
That's great! 14.7% yesterday. That's a huge improvement with 31,000 tests coming in.

These "very good people" protesting in Illinois today, carrying "Arbeit Macht Frei" signs. :vomit:

It should be plainly obvious to everyone now what these protests are about....spoiler alert: it isn't mortgage payments.

These "very good people" protesting in Illinois today, carrying "Arbeit Macht Frei" signs. :vomit:

It should be plainly obvious to everyone now what these protests are about....spoiler alert: it isn't mortgage payments.

of course not - it's haircuts.

While I know some things about the Holocaust - grew up in a 2/3rds Jewish neighborhood in the 60's; when it was way closer in experience and memory w a lot of survivor families - I learned more later on.

However I never paid that much attention to the archway signage. So just looked up the translation, the searing irony of it, and the hidden protest of the prisoners who built it with the upside-down "B".
:ohmy: :sad: :up: Wow!

FU "good people"

The growth rate for new deaths (worldwide) hit 1% yesterday for the first time since February 26th. That is the only other day at 1% on Worldometers' entire table, which goes back to January 23rd. Additionally, the number of new deaths has dropped for five days straight. That will likely change today with expanded reporting, but it's a good downward trend and visible to the naked eye on any graph.

I thought this was a useful pic when looking at different ways we can potentially combat the virus through various different pathways.

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 18
Failing New York Times just released a report that shows internal White House covid models are predicting a surge in infections and deaths by the end of the month.

We currently average around 25k infections and 1800 deaths per day

By June 1st

200k infections
3000 deaths

Remember Jared stated last week that June would bring us back to normal, and July the economy will be rocking again.

I’m really afraid the only way out of this is to take it on the chin. Millions will get sick, and who knows how many will pass.

How else do we move forward ? We keep hearing about testing but we can’t even break 300k a day. We have no tracing program. Nothing.

Unless that changes, and changes immediately our summer is going to be bleak

Unless that changes, and changes immediately our summer is going to be bleak

I think that the sooner we accept that things are NEVER going back to the way they were before, the better we will be.

Yes, eventually we will get past the worst of this and things will get better. It won't always be this bleak. But too many things will necessarily change - how and where we work, how businesses approach their space and overhead costs, localization of supply chain, depression of travel, particularly transoceanic travel for a long time, a steep decrease of business travel (massive overhead cost, questionable benefit and everyone will learn that things can be done without it just as well), our schools and how packed we will want them to be, long-term care facilities and the transient nature of their employees, groceries will be more and more by way of delivery, no more open concept offices and so on.

And I honestly don't think that we'll even get to that point until well into 2021.

Anything else is false hope.

I have to say that Charlie Baker seems clueless and rather inept right now. The only Republican governor I've ever voted for, because before now I thought he was doing a great job.

The stay at home was never an order, it was an advisory. Masks were not mandated until this Wed. Those are just two examples. In Massachusetts, state with some of the best and brightest medical people in the country. The state and city workers are all getting fully paid. I'm not a golfer, but he's not even allowing golf in MA. Yes sadly MA has been hit really hard, but you have to be reasonable about allowing some things to be done safely. I think people can golf safely. Mobs of people at places like Home Depot (not me), but golf is not allowed.

Boston Globe

Hundreds gather at State House to protest measures to slow spread of coronavirus.

The rally was promoted by the group behind last year’s Straight Pride Parade and a local radio host.

By Anissa Gardizy Globe Correspondent,Updated May 4, 2020, an hour ago

Hundreds of people gathered outside the State House to protest government efforts to slow the spread of the coronavirus.

Hundreds of people gathered outside of the Massachusetts State House on Monday calling for the end to restrictions designed to slow the spread of the coronavirus.

Around 1 p.m., the gathering, promoted by the right-wing provocateurs behind last September’s controversial Straight Pride Parade and conservative local radio host Jeffrey Kuhner, took over part of Beacon Street. Demonstrators brandished American flags and Trump 2020 signs, along with signs that read “end the shutdown,” “all jobs are essential,” and “media is the virus.”

Officials and public health experts repeatedly have cautioned that lifting the order that closed nonessential businesses and prematurely abandoning social distancing guidelines would inevitably lead to a spike in new coronavirus infections and deaths.

A statement from Super Happy Fun America, which identified itself as one of the rally’s hosts, described the protest as a Liberty Rally.

“Americans are suffering due to the unprecedented economic shutdown imposed by the government as a response to COVID-19,” the statement said. “We are calling upon the citizens of our state to come out in force on May 4th to demand that the governor and his minions let the people get back to work and obey the Constitution.”

It appeared a majority of the protesters were not wearing face coverings. A statewide mask requirement takes effect Wednesday.

The scene drew a police presence which kept the crowd on opposite sides of the road and out of traffic.

Don't think there were any weapons brandished, hopefully not.

My take on the NYT story: it seems pretty clear that Trump and company think they need to be "lower than the projections" to call it a win (as stupid as that argument may be). So as soon as it looks like they are not beating the projections, they turn to more pessimistic projections.

That said, the US situation is not good overall. NY/NJ/CT are responsible for most of the decline the numbers have shown recently. Removing the three states from the equation makes the trajectory less clear for the rest of the country.

It wouldn't surprise me that a significant second wave of COVID comes in the coming weeks particularly in red states (as most blue states have had generally good responses - Cuomo's terrible delay in acting in NY notwithstanding - and have better plans for the phased reopening).

I have to say that Charlie Baker seems clueless and rather inept right now. The only Republican governor I've ever voted for, because before now I thought he was doing a great job.

The stay at home was never an order, it was an advisory. Masks were not mandated until this Wed. Those are just two examples. In Massachusetts, state with some of the best and brightest medical people in the country. The state and city workers are all getting fully paid. I'm not a golfer, but he's not even allowing golf in MA. Yes sadly MA has been hit really hard, but you have to be reasonable about allowing some things to be done safely. I think people can golf safely. Mobs of people at places like Home Depot (not me), but golf is not allowed.
I wouldn't say he's inept...today's dashboard just published:

https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-dashboard-may-4-2020/download

Lowest number of new cases since April 5. Yes its data from a Sunday with less testing than the previous day (9,622 vs 15,652), but the rate of positive tests down day to day from 11.6% to 10.4%, and lowest death total (86) since April 8.
Hospitilizations dropped by 78, the 6th day in the last 7 they were a net negative, only increase reported yesterday was an increase of 16. Only 5% of cases now in hospital (was 9% a week ago), hospitals have more than 50% available capacity.
Measures are working

Last edited:
I wouldn't say he's inept...today's dashboard just published:

https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-dashboard-may-4-2020/download

Lowest number of new cases since April 5. Yes its data from a Sunday with less testing than the previous day (9,622 vs 15,652), but the rate of positive tests down day to day from 11.6% to 10.4%, and lowest death total (86) since April 8.
Hospitilizations dropped by 78, the 6th day in the last 7 they were a net negative, only increase reported yesterday was an increase of 16. Only 5% of cases now in hospital (was 9% a week ago), hospitals have more than 50% available capacity.
Measures are working

Ok that's good. I just can't understand why he doesn't seem to think those are positive signs.

Yes this actually happened. Vile, despicable. America is so great again...

download.jpg

LA Times

Man wears KKK hood while grocery shopping; mayor calls it a ‘sad reminder of intolerance’

By DAVID HERNANDEZ
MAY 4, 20207:10 AM

SANTEE — A man was spotted wearing a Ku Klux Klan hood in a Vons in the San Diego County city of Santee on Saturday, igniting outrage from the mayor, the head of the Anti-Defamation League in San Diego and others.

A corporate spokeswoman said grocery clerks repeatedly asked the shopper to remove the hood or leave the store, located on Mission Gorge Road.

A supervisor found the man once he was in a checkout line and asked him again to take off the hood or leave, said Melissa Hill, a spokeswoman for Vons, Albertsons and Pavilions stores in Southern California.

The man removed the hood, purchased his items and left.

Photos shared on social media showed the man pushing the cart in the store’s produce area and holding a plastic produce bag while wearing the hood. At least one photo shows the man, who appears to be white and middle-aged, standing behind a cart without a hood.

Santee Mayor John Minto and other leaders condemned the incident.

“San Diego is #NoPlaceForHate,” Tammy Gillies, regional director of the Anti-Defamation League in the San Diego area, said on Twitter.

Minto and residents who commented on social media said the shopper’s actions did not represent the values of the city of almost 60,000 residents. The city has worked over the years to overcome a history of racially motivated attacks and skinhead activity that led to the nicknames “Klantee” and “Santucky.”

“So troublesome in so many ways this is still happening in Santee at Vons,” resident Tiam Tellez wrote on Facebook, where he shared photos he took of the shopper. “Disgusting!

The incident occurred a day after a San Diego County mandate requiring residents to wear face coverings in public, including in grocery stores, took effect. The mandate is aimed at slowing the spread of COVID-19.

Fewer active cases in California today than yesterday after a bunch of new recoveries. First time the number has dropped in months. And we've only brought in 4.1% positives from our 32,000 tests today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom