Global Pandemic Part II: Sequel Escalation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The people who can stay home and continue to work are, for the most part, not the ones without a job (yet).

The people who make their incomes off of these office professionals... waiters, baristas, bartenders, convenience store workers, janitorial services, maintenance, fitness, mass transit workers, car repair, delivery, etc... who are out of a job, and who will remain out of a job if we continue to keep everyone home once it's not actually necessary to stay home any longer.

So while it's cool for those of us, myself included, to just say "oh, well, we can just continue to work from home indefinitely"? This does nothing to help the jobs of people who are reliant upon people going to work. And there are more of them then there are office workers.

That's why I said those businesses should prepare by enacting measures that would allow them to re-open and continue to operate safely. THAT is imperative while we wait for treatment because if you come to October and you have no treatment and you also haven't bothered to figure out how to get these parts of the economy to open safely, then we're all cooked.

And while it's a nice thought that we have to get office workers back to restaurants and gyms, the reality is that a lot of people will just not go. And they especially won't go if they feel like the business has not taken appropriate measures. Which again brings us to retrofitting non-office businesses and coming up with employee schedules that are the safest. You can stagger shifts, gyms for example could run small classes (fewer than 10) people with half hour breaks in between to fully clean the equipment in addition to the overnight cleaning and so on. It's not like it's NOT doable, but all this planning should start happening now.

So again, you have people dependent on office workers going back to work, but I am telling you that we were told that the only way for us to return would be to retrofit out office wiht plexiglass, be closed in our individual offices, close communal washrooms and only allow one person in the washroom at a time, absolutely no access to the kitchen, much less microwave, fridge, coffee machines, etc. So if I am going to tell my junior lawyers to return and basically sit imprisoned in their office and not interact with their coworkers except through glass or 2 metres apart, how do you think that those same people would then conclude, oh it's totes safe to go to Starbucks for my morning break, the gym at lunch time and out to dinner after work. They will. Not. Go. That's why I think it's better off to keep them at home but spend our efforts assisting businesses to prepare so that people are willing to go to a small spin or Crossfit class, or are willing to take their kids to a small group dance class or are willing to once again engage their dog walker or feel safe to return to their hairdresser.

That's why I said those businesses should prepare by enacting measures that would allow them to re-open and continue to operate safely. THAT is imperative while we wait for treatment because if you come to October and you have no treatment and you also haven't bothered to figure out how to get these parts of the economy to open safely, then we're all cooked.

And while it's a nice thought that we have to get office workers back to restaurants and gyms, the reality is that a lot of people will just not go. And they especially won't go if they feel like the business has not taken appropriate measures. Which again brings us to retrofitting non-office businesses and coming up with employee schedules that are the safest. You can stagger shifts, gyms for example could run small classes (fewer than 10) people with half hour breaks in between to fully clean the equipment in addition to the overnight cleaning and so on. It's not like it's NOT doable, but all this planning should start happening now.

So again, you have people dependent on office workers going back to work, but I am telling you that we were told that the only way for us to return would be to retrofit out office wiht plexiglass, be closed in our individual offices, close communal washrooms and only allow one person in the washroom at a time, absolutely no access to the kitchen, much less microwave, fridge, coffee machines, etc. So if I am going to tell my junior lawyers to return and basically sit imprisoned in their office and not interact with their coworkers except through glass or 2 metres apart, how do you think that those same people would then conclude, oh it's totes safe to go to Starbucks for my morning break, the gym at lunch time and out to dinner after work. They will. Not. Go. That's why I think it's better off to keep them at home but spend our efforts assisting businesses to prepare so that people are willing to go to a small spin or Crossfit class, or are willing to take their kids to a small group dance class or are willing to once again engage their dog walker or feel safe to return to their hairdresser.

All of this makes sense. The company I'm leaving has told us they are trying to figure out a means to get some of the workforce back into the office, and they really have no clue. Put arrows on the floor to force traffic in a direction. Have stairwells be for Up or Down only. One person on elevator at a time, or limit only for the handicap.

Is there someone to wipe down the door handles to meeting rooms, bathrooms stalls, bathroom doors? Do we cancel all in person meetings and have people come in only to zoom from their desk?

CTO said they really don't have any idea how to make this work yet. They've at least been upfront in saying they won't rush us back in.

Of course I won't go back in cause I'm leaving in a week. My new company had plans to build out a fancy new complex, but that's now been shelved (as of now). My hiring manager stated he doesn't think we'll ever really be needed back in the office (IT Infrastructure side) since we are not customer facing, and our servers are remote anyway.

I like the idea of a test kit that's as simple as a pregnancy test, and easy to produce in mass numbers. Allow society to take over some of this ourselves, to help allow healthcare to focus more on treatment or other ideas to make us safer.

The really scary part is we're at least NINE months away from having a competent government again. That's assuming Joe can get in, and get the senate to go blue with him. Getting Joe in there will make incredible progress which isn't saying much for the current standard. Of course if the senate stays red, we'll see the GOP stalemate the country over recovery. Still we can stop the bleeding at least.

That's to say we still have anything resembling a country or economy by January. How many big waves of infection and potential shutdowns will we have to go through assuming there's no great treatment drug?

There are business consultants making good $ now advising how office workplaces have to renovate the premises to allow for physical distancing. Some of the measures are bonkers - a lot of time and $ to devote to getting people back so that they can essentially be locked inside their office all day avoiding other people. This is totally irrational for everyone except critical staff that need to be present so I think that you will see lots of businesses simply elect to keep non-critical office workers home for a very long time.

These are probably the same business consultants who 5-10 years ago were making good $ to advise companies to remove office walls and cubicle partitions and move towards open floor plans.

I anticipate sports having some sort of brief return, problems arising again, and everyone deciding they have to bag everything until 2021. I don't think concerts resume against until summer 2021. The US doing everything possible to get this wrong has delayed the turnaround significantly.

Imagine dozens of Black Lives Matter protesters armed to their teeth pushing their way into a state capitol.

Remdesivir has been approved by the FDA for emergency use.

That was fast. Let's see how this goes.

Remdesivir has been approved by the FDA for emergency use.

That was fast. Let's see how this goes.

Don’t forget, remdesivir was clinically tested for Ebola patients. And it’s just gone through a first round as a controlled study for Covid patients. So any thought of it being (a) inherently harmful to humans and (b) harmful to Covid patients would have shown up in the first sets of studies.

Probably how they got it through so fast. It’s still only approved in emergency fashion, I’m sure while they continue the next phase.

Don’t forget, remdesivir was clinically tested for Ebola patients. And it’s just gone through a first round as a controlled study for Covid patients. So any thought of it being (a) inherently harmful to humans and (b) harmful to Covid patients would have shown up in the first sets of studies.

Probably how they got it through so fast. It’s still only approved in emergency fashion, I’m sure while they continue the next phase.
I'm not worried about the side effects, just mildly disappointed that it's not being offered as a first line treatment where it can really shine.

A realistic scenario is that it doesn't prove to be a silver bullet but also doesn't result in severe side effects, gets full approval in time and we see better results in mild cases further down the road. Hopefully it takes a tiny bit of strain off hospitals that have access to it.

Imagine dozens of Black Lives Matter protesters armed to their teeth pushing their way into a state capitol.
As a friend of mine just said a little while ago - they'd be shot as soon as they were getting out of their cars. :|

It's one thing to stand outside the State Capitol with guns, rifles, etc. How did these asshats get inside? Do you think who ever is protecting it all agree with those guys?

interesting. Here's to more success ahead.

Remember when women were vilified for having a women's protest march in which they wore pink pussy hats and carried signs with bad words on them? And some of them yelled in a very unladylike manner. For shame.

They're very good people. I'm sure it's a complete coincidence that Trump used that phrase. So let's make a deal with people who protest with assault weapons, so that we can encourage others to do the same. It also goes against the guidelines set out by the CDC and the task force, that Trump stood there and pretended to support.

In a tweet on Friday morning, President Donald Trump described protesters in Michigan as "very good people" and suggested that the governor should strike a deal with them.

On Thursday, hundreds of protesters — many of them carrying guns — descended on the Michigan Capitol to oppose Gov. Gretchen Whitmer's extension of the state's stay-at-home order by another two weeks, to May 15.

"The Governor of Michigan should give a little, and put out the fire," Trump wrote. "These are very good people, but they are angry. They want their lives back again, safely! See them, talk to them, make a deal."

I'm not worried about the side effects, just mildly disappointed that it's not being offered as a first line treatment where it can really shine.

A realistic scenario is that it doesn't prove to be a silver bullet but also doesn't result in severe side effects, gets full approval in time and we see better results in mild cases further down the road. Hopefully it takes a tiny bit of strain off hospitals that have access to it.

It would be nice to see the stats / data

It would be nice to see the stats / data
I read that a lot of it will be coming out next week, but we'll also learn a lot from its use in the coming weeks. Japan is approving it for more than just emergency use.

"The Governor of Michigan should give a little, and put out the fire," Trump wrote. "These are very good people, but they are angry. They want their lives back again, safely! See them, talk to them, make a deal."
"good people" Oh, I'm so glad I didn't hear at the time. More yelling at the radio would have ensued! :lol: :(

‘Cause when you storm a state capitol with guns, clearly you’re looking to sit down and negotiate like reasonable people.
Of, course!

I read that a lot of it will be coming out next week, but we'll also learn a lot from its use in the coming weeks. Japan is approving it for more than just emergency use.
Ah, hadn't heard that yet.

Last edited:
The approval for Remdesivir only covers the critically ill as that's what the trial was run on. That will change as data comes out of course, my normal job (though atm I have no idea where I am working one day to the next with redeployment!) is working in drug trials for cancer and its a long old process getting say a drug used in metastatic and works well to getting the same drug/treatment to use in an earlier setting until you have the data from a trial to back it up. Obviously things are bit sped up here.

I will be interested to see if it changes the death rate much, I know they saw that in the trial but they didn't have enough data yet to say it was clinically significant or not. I half expect it not to though, as I generally feel if you are in the group that dies its because of age or comorbidity, it may prevent a few deaths here and there (in those who are younger/fitter who are the minority of getting seriously ill because of it) but probably won't change the death rate significantly. But we'll see when we have more data.

What it hopefully will do is allow those that would recover anyway with some support that they recover quicker and move through health systems faster, improving health systems capacity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom