Global Pandemic Part II: Sequel Escalation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The US only reported an increase of 1,600 active cases in the last 24 hours because we've been reporting so many recoveries. That's the smallest increase since the middle of March.

It's going to SUCK when everyone reopens too quickly and everything regresses. This is the first day in a long time that we haven't seen significant progress in active cases.

The US only reported an increase of 1,600 active cases in the last 24 hours because we've been reporting so many recoveries. That's the smallest increase since the middle of March.

It's going to SUCK when everyone reopens too quickly and everything regresses. This is the first day in a long time that we haven't seen significant progress in active cases.

In fairness to “flattening the curve,” the end game is quite literally to get enough people infected in that regime such that the virus runs out of viable hosts. In theory, any attempts to eliminate the virus a la New Zealand are sort of futile and foolish, unless a country like New Zealand plans on keeping its borders closed for the foreseeable few years until a vaccine is deployable.

Note that I’m not advocating for an early reopening. Just thinking about it from a functional perspective... we should be trying to control the infection rate, rather than stop it entirely. At that, I think travel is arguably worse than reopening of business. That is to say, crossing of communities is likely what reseeds infections and spurs outbreaks.

In fairness to “flattening the curve,” the end game is quite literally to get enough people infected in that regime such that the virus runs out of viable hosts.

That is only possible if there is some sort of immunity with this virus which we still don't seem to know. If turns out to be true that the virus mutates more quickly than anticipated and that different strains cause different viral loads and severity of illness, then we won't run out of hosts. And we are hooped.

Edit to add that I'm also not advocating for lifting lockdown measures quickly especially with so much unknown. Just that we may not have an end game here any time soon.

That is only possible if there is some sort of immunity with this virus which we still don't seem to know. If turns out to be true that the virus mutates more quickly than anticipated and that different strains cause different viral loads and severity of illness, then we won't run out of hosts. And we are hooped.

Edit to add that I'm also not advocating for lifting lockdown measures quickly especially with so much unknown. Just that we may not have an end game here any time soon.

Oh yes, and I keep on saying... this is a race to a treatment, through and through. Cause it probably isn’t going away any time soon, even if you’re trying to operate at capacity.

In fairness to “flattening the curve,” the end game is quite literally to get enough people infected in that regime such that the virus runs out of viable hosts. In theory, any attempts to eliminate the virus a la New Zealand are sort of futile and foolish, unless a country like New Zealand plans on keeping its borders closed for the foreseeable few years until a vaccine is deployable.

Note that I’m not advocating for an early reopening. Just thinking about it from a functional perspective... we should be trying to control the infection rate, rather than stop it entirely. At that, I think travel is arguably worse than reopening of business. That is to say, crossing of communities is likely what reseeds infections and spurs outbreaks.
I'm 100% with you that travel is a huge mistake right now. Additionally, we need to keep working from home as much as possible because...and this may be an unpopular opinion...I really think crowded indoor workplaces are more of a petri dish than sunny beaches. The situation in Singapore seems to suggest as much.

Oh yes, and I keep on saying... this is a race to a treatment, through and through. Cause it probably isn’t going away any time soon, even if you’re trying to operate at capacity.

Agreed. Though I'm not very hopeful on that front either, we don't even know how it kills us. It'll take a while to find an effective treatment. Our track record is not great either, though every once in a while there's a breakthrough like the new(ish) Hep C cure.

My immunocompromised parents (who I have not seen in two months) are already floating the idea of our family getting back together for Mother's Day. To this point, they've been very responsible about social distancing. But now they're making plans that involve me and my brother coming in from a much more significant hotspot than their suburban city. The idea of rushing back is already sinking in for people.

My immunocompromised parents (who I have not seen in two months) are already floating the idea of our family getting back together for Mother's Day. To this point, they've been very responsible about social distancing. But now they're making plans that involve me and my brother coming in from a much more significant hotspot than their suburban city. The idea of rushing back is already sinking in for people.

Anecdotally I've found that the folks who seem to want to get back to normal the most are often the ones at highest risk. Our seniors are a very stubborn lot as a whole.

I'm 100% with you that travel is a huge mistake right now. Additionally, we need to keep working from home as much as possible because...and this may be an unpopular opinion...I really think crowded indoor workplaces are more of a petri dish than sunny beaches. The situation in Singapore seems to suggest as much.

Everyone who can work from home without much difficulty (many office jobs) should continue to do so basically indefinitely. Maybe if you need to be in the office once in a while, you go do that, but to sit there 5 days a week for no real reason is just plain stupid.

Similar with my family. My mom is dying to get her haircut, and that’s an accurate statement haha. Her lungs are shot and has accepted that this virus will probably end her life.

But she’s tired of sitting around.

Now my parents are doing everything else to stay safe, but Iowa is opening more and more over the following weeks and i can see the urge to get out is taking over more.

From the models it sounds like we’ll have a month or two at most before infections rise again in July.

Everyone who can work from home without much difficulty (many office jobs) should continue to do so basically indefinitely. Maybe if you need to be in the office once in a while, you go do that, but to sit there 5 days a week for no real reason is just plain stupid.

This was my view pre virus haha. Especially with southern cal traffic.

I just put in my notice at current gig. Being a contractor when companies are going to start reducing expenses isn’t feeling like a good spot. Accepted a full time job with a diabetes medical device company (same job role). Virus or not, america isn’t getting any healthier

Oh, dear. :no:

Anecdotally I've found that the folks who seem to want to get back to normal the most are often the ones at highest risk. Our seniors are a very stubborn lot as a whole.

I'm 67 and my family around that age or a little younger intend to stay very careful. We may want to do certain things, but we're not going to. :sigh: At least maybe a bit once it's much safer. Plus keeping social distancing, masks.

What if there’s a vaccine or treatment but only the White House have it??? ;)

I honestly can’t figure out how neither Trump or Pence haven’t been infected or even isolated. Hell even Ivanka self quarantined

These dudes really are Teflon.

Just beyond belief that the supposed head of the coronavirus task force refuses to wear a mask and practice social distancing in a medical facility. And anywhere else for that matter.

Confederacy of arrogant dunces

LA Lakers repaid their 4.6 million dollar "small business" loan. Shameful that they applied for that (I assume) and got approved. Wtf
I'm guessing it's in how they declare themselves as a company. A lot of these teams house different parts of their operation under different LLCs or LPs. So there could technically be a piece of the organization that qualifies as a small business (under $35 million in revenue for sports and entertainment).

The PR hit, however - should have negated anything. But nobody ever accused the Lakers of being smart with PR under the Jeanie Buss era.

LA Lakers repaid their 4.6 million dollar "small business" loan. Shameful that they applied for that (I assume) and got approved. Wtf

Yeah the only way to get a loan was to apply for one.
So whoever thought that an NBA franchise with a net worth of $4 Billion should apply for the loan should be fired (at the very least).
They probably qualified as a small business based on number of employees (I assume arena workers at Staples Center aren't actually Lakers' employees), but that's strictly semantics. In no way is that franchise "small" business.

Yeah the only way to get a loan was to apply for one.

So whoever thought that an NBA franchise with a net worth of $4 Billion should apply for the loan should be fired (at the very least).

They probably qualified as a small business based on number of employees (I assume arena workers at Staples Center aren't actually Lakers' employees), but that's strictly semantics. In no way is that franchise "small" business.
Number of employees doesn't matter for sports, recreation and entertainment businesses. It's all based on revenue.

A large summer camp program - for example - could employ thousands of people over the course of a calendar year but clearly still be a small business.

The Lakers? Not so much.

Although I will say there are a significant number of sports owners who are asset rich and cash poor. The Buss family is one of them. They are not as well off as they like to pretend to be.

(CNN)The Paycheck Protection Program had a very simple goal: Keep small businesses afloat during the economic strife caused by the nationwide quarantine put in place to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

It was -- and is -- free money in the form of a forgiven loans from the federal government as long as the PPP loan is used for one of a handful of things -- ranging from payroll to mortgage interest to rent.

Simple! And a savior for small businesses! Like the Los Angeles Lakers!

Wait, what?

"I never expected in a million years that the Los Angeles Lakers, which, I'm a big fan of the team, but I'm not a big fan of the fact that they took a $4.6 million loan," Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said on CNBC Tuesday morning. "I think that's outrageous and I'm glad they returned it or they would have had liability."

Yes, the Lakers, the storied NBA franchise of Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and, now, LeBron James -- applied for and received a $4.6 million loan via the Paycheck Protection Program. The same Lakers who, according to Forbes, are valued at $4.4 billion -- that's "billion" with a "b" -- behind only the New York Knicks as the most valuable NBA franchise. (Despite Knicks owner James Dolan's best efforts to destroy the team, they remain extremely valuable.)

The Lakers, faced with the obvious public outcry from the millions they got from the government, returned the money on Monday night.

"The Lakers qualified for and received a loan under the Payroll Protection Program," a Lakers spokesperson wrote in a statement emailed to CNN Business. "However, once we found out the funds from the program had been depleted, we repaid the loan so that financial support would be directed to those most in need. The Lakers remain completely committed to supporting both our employees and our community."

So, controversy over. But a question remains: How the heck did the Lakers qualify for a loan that was expressly aimed at helping small business bridge the financial gap between the beginning and (hopefully) the end of this period of stay-at-home orders and extreme social distancing?

Let's start with rules for qualification for the PPP, as laid out by the Small Business Administration:

* "Any small business concern that meets SBA's size standards"

* Any business, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, 501(c)(19) veterans organization, or Tribal business concern (sec. 31(b)(2)(C) of the Small Business Act) with the greater of:

500 employees, or that meets the SBA industry size standard if more than 500"

* "Any business with a NAICS Code that begins with 72 (Accommodations and Food Services) that has more than one physical location and employs less than 500 per location"

* "Sole proprietors, independent contractors, and self-employed persons"

(Nota bene: "SBA size standards" is just a table maintained by the agency that determines who can call itself a "small business' by industry.)

The Lakers, while they are best known for the players on the court, also maintain a full- and part-time staff of just over 300 workers, which, technically, makes them eligible for a PPP loan. The Treasury Department effectively fixed that glitch late last week by issuing guidance that made clear that any business applying for a PPP loan had to attest "in good faith that their PPP loan request is necessary" and that the company lacked any other access to money to help them weather this difficult period. That move came after a series of well-known large businesses -- Shake Shack, Ruth's Chris and Potbelly -- received millions in PPP loans even as the program quickly ran out of money.

Mnuchin said Tuesday morning that the Small Business Administration would be conducting "full" reviews of any loan via PPP over $2 million before that loan was forgiven by the government. "I think it was inappropriate for most of these companies to take the loans," he added.

The Lakers' loan will likely further exacerbate concerns -- primarily among congressional Democrats -- regarding the loan program and the way in which the federal government doled the money out.

"This has been an abject failure at implementing these laws," Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-New York) said on MSNBC Tuesday. "They don't have the qualified personnel. They don't have the focus."

The lesson here? When the government offers up what is essentially free money, companies -- of all sorts -- run to grab it, whether or not we are in the midst of a global pandemic.

The lesson here? When the government offers up what is essentially free money, companies -- of all sorts -- run to grab it, whether or not we are in the midst of a global pandemic.

Is the author surprised by this? The entire point of a stimulus is for individuals and firms to take money and spend it.

"The Lakers qualified for and received a loan under the Payroll Protection Program," a Lakers spokesperson wrote in a statement emailed to CNN Business.

I love how the Lakers spokesperson words his statement like the Lakers just were given the loan because they qualified. You have to fill out an application through your bank, And then you have to provide payroll records to confirm the amount of the loan you qualify to receive I know as I went through the process for my company. Its a much easier process for larger corporations who have an accounting staff and have all the info at the ready than for most actual small businesses. That's why the bigger businesses were the first to complete the process and get approved in the majority of cases.

So the Lakers are trying to act like "golly the government just gave us this money but we were good guys and gave it back to help out the little guys" when in fact they sought the money out.
League should dock them a first round pick. And Lebron should have to pick up trash on PCH every Sunday for 2 months

It took us 80 days to get to half a million diagnosed cases, and 18 days to get from there to a million.

With social distancing.

It’s just the flu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom