Global Pandemic Part II: Sequel Escalation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Random sampling will have to happen in a lot of different locations and settings to get a better idea, indeed. For example, the people tested in this sample all live in a single town out of an entire district that was the initial Corona hotspot in Germany. So it's not even known how it compares to other communities in the same area. I think there was going to be a study in Munich, but I'd have to look it up. As long as the capacity for testing is so limited, there remains a selection process in place in most localities, which makes it more difficult to determine how the virus really has spread.

Since many people are concerned about touching anything, using public transit etc. I think it's important to figure out how dangerous the virus really is outside of direct human interaction. If more studies confirm that the initial lab results about how long it may survive on surfaces are not borne out in real environments, many people will feel much safer again, e.g. when accepting deliveries or doing grocery shopping. In Iraq and other Middle Eastern countries I also keep seeing trucks spraying desinfectants in the streets or people going through the bazaars spraying everything. My colleagues in Kurdistan suggested spraying an entire refugee camp with desinfectant. I doubt it's that useful, apart from a psychological angle (giving the residents some sense of control knowing all surfaces have been desinfected). But it's a decision of about $3000 per camp per measure. That's a month of food or hygiene supplies for 60 families.

Notwithstanding, I think simulations such as this one are a great way of demonstrating how the virus may travel and hit a large number of people if we aren't careful.

If possible you need to find something that he'll be amused by or find soothing. A Mickey Mouse or a Paw Patrol mask or a John Wall mask or similar.
g1.jpg

Whenever a tour comes around there's inevitably a thread that opens up about GA lines, making fun of lists and all that. And damn it if I'm not there for that. One of my favorite U2 fan moments was when I narc'd on the list runners at Capital One Arena. Good times, good times.

Anyhoo... inevitably someone always goes down a road where they mock the people who are always up front for having no lives or easy stress free jobs that let them travel everywhere or whatever else. And that annoys me a bit - as I know that's not true, and it's crazy unfair. While I'm sure there are a few who fit that description, some are incredibly hard working people who just make it work every 4 years.

One of these fans that catches a little grief from time to time is a friend of mine. He's also a doctor in Brooklyn. He's been front lines of this thing. His face is literally scarred from over wearing of PPE. Yet he's there night after night after night dealing with this, while we sit home comfortably on our couches.

So some day there will be concerts again. Some day U2 will hit the road again. And when that time comes, inevitably this man, my friend, will find his way on stage. And when that time comes, know that there's a hero of this thing up there.

Then, after that moment of recognition? By all means please go back to making fun of the mom jeans. The man needs an intervention. I've tried.

https://www.ft.com/content/04e9c5fe...ft?token=366bc5e0-1ac5-4f7e-a8bc-d8cd9b48e8cf

Excellent article on dramatic rises in cases in Asia (Singapore, Hong Kong) and persistence of COVID-19 in South Korea and Taiwan and an explicit recognition that we're in this holding pattern until a vaccine is developed.

I don't think that many in North America or Europe get this.

Trump will declare Mission Accomplished in a few weeks. He will say America is open for business.

Some states will lift restrictions, while other states will not. It won’t really matter. People everywhere will rush out and be in crowds.

Then the infections and hospitalizations will dramatically rise and shutdown will happen again. This part scares me because of the unknown mentality of Americans getting their “freedom” taken away AGAIN.

Today is/was my moms birthday. I’ve accepted that at best i won’t see her for at least a few years. Worst case is easy to guess.

She was a nurse for many many years before moving into a medical foundation company. She’s by no means an expert (and neither am i) but she truly believes a vaccine will be ready by first of the year. She thinks the global effort of doctors/scientists, adjustments in test groups, and technology is different this time.

I said i hope so, but three years time would be a record for a vaccine. Ebola vaccine took over five years.

Singapore shutting down again. Japan having a rise, and even more troubling the 2nd positive tests in Korea means we really don’t know much about this virus or how to handle it.

Reinfection. Bad tests or is there something else going on? Virus is dormant ?

I believe in those countries to do the right thing though.

I honestly don’t see how the USA gets remotely close to a balanced state with Trump.

My 2 year old breaks down in hysterics whenever any of us put on a face covering - so that's something new and fun.

Try putting a mask on a stuffed animal and leaving it on, showing the stuffed animal to them all the time. Tim's suggestion of a mask with a kid design on it is good. Etsy has some of those. I shouldn't admit it but I bought one on Etsy with puppies on it, somehow it gave me a bit less anxiety about wearing one

I think it is more likely false negatives, the swab test used here in the UK seems only around 70% accurate. So they get treatment they get better but the virus isn't actually fully cleared from their system, the test doesn't pick up enough of a sample to test positive, they get sent home and the virus can then rebound.

At this stage I think that is what is most likely, but again it is still early days.

He yelled at the coronavirus last night, so it will go away soon. He thinks these war analogies make him look like he's Rambo.

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

The Invisible Enemy will soon be in full retreat!

11:15 AM · Apr 10, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

I'm waiting for him to announce over twitter, or his HIGH RATINGS PRESS BRIEFINGS, THEY BEAT MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL AND THE BACHELOR!!!!

that it's perfecting safe and acceptable for people to go to church on Easter.

And by next week or next weekend, that WE HAVE DEFEATED THE INVISIBLE ENEMY, GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY!!

So, FEMA is, in a worst case scenario, projecting anywhere from 160m to 195m COVID-19 infections in America by the end of the year and anywhere from 200k to 300k deaths.

This means nothing by itself, because their methodology wasn't specified, but it gives further exposure to the theory that over half the population is bound to catch COVID-19 if they haven't already. This projection doesn't substantiate it, but more people will see it.

For what it's worth, that infection fatality rate (200000/160000000 or 300000/195000000) sits between 0.12 and 0.15. About the same as the flu.

The link to the slides is here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/COVID19/co...il_9/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

The only comment I will make on this is the same one I have been for weeks: we need to ramp up serological testing now. Yesterday, really. It's the only way to find out who can go back to work and what measures need to be taken to protect everyone who can't.

Last edited:
I’m going to assume we won’t have massive testing until 2021.

I don’t know what it would take for Trump to move towards this effort.

Allowing the states to decide would mean about 2/3rds would ramp up, but without the remaining states we’d still be in a holding pattern.

Am i missing something in regards to a way out of this ? I can’t imagine stimulate the economy while we wait for a vaccine (i have my doubts one will be available in 12-18 months).

Everything I’ve read is massive testing, tracing, and social distancing continued to get people back to work.

I know that getting food delivery is a big thing right now and it helps to keep restaurants running. But is anyone else a little freaked out about this?

About a month ago, right before things got serious, I was in a restaurant and you could see into the kitchen. This guy was wearing gloves, but then rubbed his face, hair and behind his ears with his gloved hands, and then proceeded on to handle plates/food.

I left. And I haven't gotten any restaurant food since.

I could see maybe pizza, out of an oven, on a paddle, slid into box.... possibly.

But anyone else feel this way?

Respiratory viruses don't spread through food the way bacteria does because they require a hospitable setting in order to grow. If you eat coronavirus, it typically travels through your digestive system and dies. The only way you would get COVID-19 through food delivery is if you touched packaging and then your face, but even then, the transmissibility of the virus through surfaces is increasingly coming into question.

When I get takeout, I always sanitize the packaging and wash my hands.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom