Global Pandemic Part II: Sequel Escalation - Page 41 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2020, 08:08 AM   #801
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:30 PM
Remember when women were vilified for having a women's protest march in which they wore pink pussy hats and carried signs with bad words on them? And some of them yelled in a very unladylike manner. For shame.

Old 05-02-2020, 08:37 AM   #802
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
Yes indeed

Not sure if this is Michigan or somewhere else. But what the actual...Maybe they were just trying to blast Covid to smithereens. Yeah that's it

Attachment 12482
Those look like some men of sound mind with good intentions and no political biases!

Old 05-02-2020, 08:47 AM   #803
Blue Crack Addict

They're very good people. I'm sure it's a complete coincidence that Trump used that phrase. So let's make a deal with people who protest with assault weapons, so that we can encourage others to do the same. It also goes against the guidelines set out by the CDC and the task force, that Trump stood there and pretended to support.

In a tweet on Friday morning, President Donald Trump described protesters in Michigan as "very good people" and suggested that the governor should strike a deal with them.

On Thursday, hundreds of protesters — many of them carrying guns — descended on the Michigan Capitol to oppose Gov. Gretchen Whitmer's extension of the state's stay-at-home order by another two weeks, to May 15.

"The Governor of Michigan should give a little, and put out the fire," Trump wrote. "These are very good people, but they are angry. They want their lives back again, safely! See them, talk to them, make a deal."
Old 05-02-2020, 09:37 AM   #804
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:30 PM
‘Cause when you storm a state capitol with guns, clearly you’re looking to sit down and negotiate like reasonable people.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:44 AM   #805
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I'm not worried about the side effects, just mildly disappointed that it's not being offered as a first line treatment where it can really shine.

A realistic scenario is that it doesn't prove to be a silver bullet but also doesn't result in severe side effects, gets full approval in time and we see better results in mild cases further down the road. Hopefully it takes a tiny bit of strain off hospitals that have access to it.

It would be nice to see the stats / data
Old 05-02-2020, 10:13 AM   #806
More 5G Than Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
It would be nice to see the stats / data
I read that a lot of it will be coming out next week, but we'll also learn a lot from its use in the coming weeks. Japan is approving it for more than just emergency use.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:24 AM   #807
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:30 PM
Quote:
"The Governor of Michigan should give a little, and put out the fire," Trump wrote. "These are very good people, but they are angry. They want their lives back again, safely! See them, talk to them, make a deal."
"good people" Oh, I'm so glad I didn't hear at the time. More yelling at the radio would have ensued!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
‘Cause when you storm a state capitol with guns, clearly you’re looking to sit down and negotiate like reasonable people.
Of, course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I read that a lot of it will be coming out next week, but we'll also learn a lot from its use in the coming weeks. Japan is approving it for more than just emergency use.
Ah, hadn't heard that yet.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:42 AM   #808
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Los Angeles is offering free testing to all residents. I wish other cities could start offering that too. And towns eventually.

It's scary that our federal govt does not seem to value testing.
Appearently here in bc there is free testing as well. My coworkers daughter went to go get tested.
Old 05-02-2020, 02:36 PM   #809
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:30 AM
The approval for Remdesivir only covers the critically ill as that's what the trial was run on. That will change as data comes out of course, my normal job (though atm I have no idea where I am working one day to the next with redeployment!) is working in drug trials for cancer and its a long old process getting say a drug used in metastatic and works well to getting the same drug/treatment to use in an earlier setting until you have the data from a trial to back it up. Obviously things are bit sped up here.

I will be interested to see if it changes the death rate much, I know they saw that in the trial but they didn't have enough data yet to say it was clinically significant or not. I half expect it not to though, as I generally feel if you are in the group that dies its because of age or comorbidity, it may prevent a few deaths here and there (in those who are younger/fitter who are the minority of getting seriously ill because of it) but probably won't change the death rate significantly. But we'll see when we have more data.

What it hopefully will do is allow those that would recover anyway with some support that they recover quicker and move through health systems faster, improving health systems capacity.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:46 PM   #810
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Global Pandemic Part II: Sequel Escalation

https://twitter.com/charliegilenbc/s...044209152?s=21

Not a single mask

Articles about city in OK where citizens were getting so angry about being told to wear masks to enter business that the Mayor had to change the rule to “suggested”

Freedom isn’t free

https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/st...407648768?s=21
Old 05-02-2020, 10:34 PM   #811
More 5G Than Man

One of my favorite statistics for measuring the health of a country/state, how it's being impacted by COVID-19, and how they're responding to it is the percentage of positive tests coming in.

When a country is first testing for coronavirus, what inevitably happens is that the most infirm get tested first, resulting in the highest fatality rates and the highest percentages of positive tests. Over time, as the general population is tested more frequently, more mild cases and negative results show up in the data.

Here is the percentage of negative results in some countries that have been praised for how well they've handled the pandemic:

Australia: 1.1%
South Korea: 1.7%
Finland: 5.1%
Germany 6.5%

Compare those figures to some countries that have been hammered by the virus:

Italy: 9.9%
Spain: 16.1%
UK: 16.1%
USA: 16.7%

It's pretty clear that early, aggressive efforts to test and isolate reveal better results in the short term. Now, how are some individual states doing? The numbers may surprise you, and I'll tell you why folks in California should not be getting frustrated by the static figures we're seeing right now.

So, first off, let's talk about New York. Their current percentage of positive tests is terrible and the main reason why the USA's is so bad as a whole: 33.2%. That's abysmal, one of the worst in the world. Every third person who gets tested there pulls up a positive result.

However, we've been told that New York is doing better. And they are, even if they're still not where they should be. They've conducted over 350,000 tests in the last 2 weeks, but only pulled in around 75,000 of their 319,000 positives. So their number has dropped to 21% in that stretch. It's still poor, but clearly an improvement. They are trending in a decent direction.

Now, let's do California. People were critical of our testing early in the month, and rightfully so. Despite all our efforts to isolate, we were still bringing in positives 11.3% of the time just two weeks ago. Not in New York's tier, but much further from South Korea's than we would like.

However, we've been reporting 20,000-30,000 tests a day for the past week, which is fantastic. Our new number? 7.6% since the start of the pandemic and 6.4% over the last two weeks, even lower than Germany's. Our number of positives has been only slightly above what we were seeing three weeks ago, but we're testing like crazy now. That's great news.

Finally, here are some states that you wouldn't think of as being highly impacted by the pandemic and their percentage of positive tests:

Utah: 4.2%
Oregon: 4.3%
Tennessee: 6.5%
Washington: 8%

And some other states that are hotspots:

Louisiana: 16.9% (7.9% this week)
Pennsylvania: 21.6% (19.4% this week)
Massachusetts: 22.2% (18% this week)
New Jersey: 47.5% (37.5% this week)

So I'll say this to all the protesters whining about not being able to go to the beach: chill out. Things are improving, even if you have to break out the calculator for a second to put a number to it. Crazy to me that California has a lower percentage of positive tests coming in than Washington, but that is a testament to how well we've handled this on the west coast. Ultimately, the goal should be limiting deaths and getting the numbers of positive tests down. Many states are trending down in the latter, even if things are changing very slowly regarding the former.

Source for the numbers was a mix of Worldometers and covidtracking.com.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:40 PM   #812
Blue Crack Addict

I appreciate everything about that post
Old 05-03-2020, 12:23 AM   #813
More 5G Than Man

I thought you might

One last thing I felt like adding. For all of the efforts being made by Trump to suppress testing, this past week has been the US' most consistently prolific yet, at least in terms of reporting:

Average tests per day reported April 26-May 2: 231,385

Average tests per day reported April 4-25: 178,790

Additionally, our testing per million is now nearly 21,000, not far from Canada's 22,000 and above Hong Kong and Finland.

The shame of it is how long it took us to reach this point. Russia is far ahead of us with a very recent surge. We would be progressing far more quickly if the federal government wasn't actively impeding the efforts, but it's not like the numbers we've been bringing in are based on a lower number of tests than previous weeks. The opposite is true.

It would be great if there was a place that reported the number of tests conducted each day, but this is the best stat we have now for the country as a whole.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:03 AM   #814
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

LM, the situation is a bit better in NY State. The current positive rate is now under 15% for the first time. I agree that it's a better indicator for the progress made, given that it is not as affected by the number of tests (though it was expected to go down once testing became available not only for those who were symptomatic). I've been tracking that figure for a while, and the trendline is pretty good compared to where we were a month ago:

Old 05-03-2020, 08:09 AM   #815
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

That said, yesterday was a pretty concerning day anecdotally, as New Yorkers (particularly wealthy ones) crowded parks yesterday in the first truly warm day of the year.

And frankly, the reliance on mass transit makes it so difficult to foresee the next few months. "Reopening" New York is kind of impossible given that most people spend at least an hour a day inside crowded subway cars.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:38 AM   #816
More 5G Than Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
LM, the situation is a bit better in NY State. The current positive rate is now under 15% for the first time. I agree that it's a better indicator for the progress made, given that it is not as affected by the number of tests (though it was expected to go down once testing became available not only for those who were symptomatic). I've been tracking that figure for a while, and the trendline is pretty good compared to where we were a month ago:

That's great! 14.7% yesterday. That's a huge improvement with 31,000 tests coming in.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:02 AM   #817
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

https://twitter.com/thegarance/statu...824803841?s=21

The US death toll may be closer to 100k
Old 05-03-2020, 05:56 PM   #818
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

https://twitter.com/michaeldoudna/st...946725376?s=21

Yes, to own the libs during a pandemic let’s all gather in close quarters and touch one another.
Old 05-03-2020, 07:14 PM   #819
Blue Crack Addict

These "very good people" protesting in Illinois today, carrying "Arbeit Macht Frei" signs. :vomit:

It should be plainly obvious to everyone now what these protests are about....spoiler alert: it isn't mortgage payments.
Old 05-03-2020, 07:36 PM   #820
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
These "very good people" protesting in Illinois today, carrying "Arbeit Macht Frei" signs. :vomit:

It should be plainly obvious to everyone now what these protests are about....spoiler alert: it isn't mortgage payments.
of course not - it's haircuts.