Global Pandemic Part II: Sequel Escalation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The year is 2020

Yet we still believe in such lunacy

https://twitter.com/amaramarasingam/status/1246658639785492480?s=21

This was main source of spread in South Korea. One religious nut spread it to the entire country.

The virus is definitely hitting the metros the hardest right now, but seems like the rural (southern) areas are weeks behind from experiencing the same thing.

It’s going to be the Red states that keep us all locked down longer than we need.

We could have been a South Korea replica. Opening for business slowly this week. Instead maybe June or July???

Last edited:
I'm just going to post this, and take a deep breath. Try to stop from throwing my laptop against the wall and getting on my knees and praying for a meteor to hit the White House. Ok, full disclosure, I pray for that every night. But, MrsSpringsteen, if you were looking for a new low...

See below where sub-human shit-stain interjects a joke about hooking up with models literally sandwiched in between him saying "hundreds of thousands of people will die"

Seriously, please be one of those hundreds of thousands.

https://twitter.com/SageRosenfels18/status/1246259058572578816

No words, he's a sick Individual. Note how Dr. Birx makes a face and steps away from him. I can't imagine being her in the middle of this and having to deal with him. I'd want to take that scarf she always wears and strangle him with it.

Truly remarkable how many terrible people are in power. Just villains at every turn, totally compartmentalized and uninterested in reckoning with the scale of horror being inflicted upon the rest of society. It still remains a game and a PR issue for people like Trump and his ilk.

Trump at next virus briefing

I heard there's a game changer out there folks. I don't know quite how to pronounce it, but
Covidinjesusblood, i think is the scientific name, not sure if there is a fancy TV drug name for it yet. But please go, find it, take it. What have you got to lose folks. You will thank me later, because it will be the best. The corrupt media will say otherwise, but believe me a year from now, I will have saved thousan... no millions of lives by telling you about this little known Covidinjesusblood medication that stops this virus in its tracks.

Agree. We’re in for a long 12-18 months unless a vaccine + antibody test are safely created and implemented

If we can’t test effectively then nothing can be done

Idiots at that fish market, just unbelievable. That's a huge problem-states where it hasn't become as bad yet, complacent fools in charge, and complacent selfish uninformed people.

(Reuters) - Ireland's prime minister Leo Varadkar has re-registered as a medical practitioner and will work one shift a week to help out during the coronavirus crisis, his office said on Sunday.

Varadkar worked as a doctor for seven years before leaving the profession to become a politician and was removed from the medical register in 2013.

He rejoined the medical register in March, and offered his services to the country's Health Service Executive (HSE) for one session a week in areas that are within his scope of practice, a spokesman for his office said.

"Many of his family and friends are working in the health service. He wanted to help out even in a small way," the spokesman added.

Last month, health minister Simon Harris launched a recruitment drive for the country's struggling health service to tackle the coronavirus outbreak with a stark message: "Your country needs you".

The HSE said it had spoken to thousands of healthcare professionals who may be eligible to return after it received more than 70,000 responses for its "Be on call for Ireland" initiative.

According to a report in the Irish Times, Varadkar is helping out with phone assessments. Anybody who may have been exposed to the virus is initially assessed over the phone.

Varadkar comes from a medical family. He is the son of a doctor and a nurse and, according to the Irish Times, his partner, two sisters and their husbands all work in healthcare.

What I have to say about that blood of Jesus woman is this-if you or anyone in your family gets sick, don't you dare go to the hospital and take up the spots and resources for people who took all the precautions they could. Including not going to church. Rely on the blood of Jesus to cure you of Covid 19 too.

People cannot be expected to conform to the necessary restrictions put in place if they lack the resources to do so. That will be America's ultimate undoing in this crisis. With no social safety net and vast income inequality, combined with a market-based healthcare system entirely based on "efficiency," you are completely unprepared as a society to deal with something like this. Trump is handling it as poorly as possible, but there is no scenario where the United States rises to this challenge in the austerity era. It is just a shame that the Trump administration is here to answer every question as to "What's the worst case scenario of that?"

Also peaking in July instead of April is actually the point of “flattening the curve” and Im not sure how people not abiding by rules is causing the peak to move into July instead of being in April. That’s not how it works.

What I have to say about that blood of Jesus woman is this-if you or anyone in your family gets sick, don't you dare go to the hospital and take up the spots and resources for people who took all the precautions they could. Including not going to church. Rely on the blood of Jesus to cure you of Covid 19 too.

And sorry, not be too anti-religion (which i am) But going to church also means that you believe in a god that allows a virus to ravage humanity, killing hundreds of thousands, from infants to the elderly, many of which are "good Christians". And I guess somehow think that this same god will protect you if you pray and ask for it??? Uh yeah, its all is so ridiculous it's almost hard to try and lay out any sort of rationale here.

I get that religion can bring comfort to people and give them some sort of rules to live by, but I also see every day "Christians" being some of the most cruel, ignorant and dangerous people, soaked in self-righteousness.

Sorry, don't mean to offend, but just at the end of my rope with some of the shit i'm seeing (not here in the forum to be clear)

And sorry, not be too anti-religion (which i am) But going to church also means that you believe in a god that allows a virus to ravage humanity, killing hundreds of thousands, from infants to the elderly, many of which are "good Christians". And I guess somehow think that this same god will protect you if you pray and ask for it??? Uh yeah, its all is so ridiculous it's almost hard to try and lay out any sort of rationale here.

I get that religion can bring comfort to people and give them some sort of rules to live by, but I also see every day "Christians" being some of the most cruel, ignorant and dangerous people, soaked in self-righteousness.

Sorry, don't mean to offend, but just at the end of my rope with some of the shit i'm seeing (not here in the forum to be clear)

I'm Christian and I'm not like that. My Mom was Christian in all the best ways I can possibly think of. She raised me to be that way, and led by example.

I don't currently belong to a church, but if I did that wouldn't mean to me that I believe in a God who "allows" any such thing.

As a Christian I believe in love, compassion, empathy, giving to others, not judging others. I also believe in the brain that God gave me, and I believe 100% in science.

Please try not to stereotype all Christians, there are plenty of good ones out there. Blood of Jesus lady is not the standard bearer. She's going against what Jesus taught, to love your neighbor as yourself. She's endangering the health and lives of others by going to church. It makes no sense at all and it's a moral and religious contradiction.

Last edited:
Idiots at that fish market, just unbelievable. That's a huge problem-states where it hasn't become as bad yet, complacent fools in charge, and complacent selfish uninformed people.

So, upon doing some research, it seems true that the market was too crowded and they shut it down.

However, that photo is totally fake.

My super cynical guess: look at who is front and center in that picture. And look at the cities that are being singled out as new hot spots: New Orelans, Detroit, Chicago, and DC.

They are trying to racialize this thing, and turn it into some kind of “personal responsibility” nonsense.

(Here’s hoping the Cracker Barrel gang loved that one)

I haven’t gone far out of my neighborhood, but literally everyone I see is in near perfect compliance. I’ve been very impressed.

I've been astounded by how compliant Chicago has been. The real test will be when the weather gets decent, but given how our springs generally go, that could still be a month away.

What I don't get about the major city response, Chicago included, is why public transit is still operating. If ever there was a perfect spot for contagion, that's it. Could be an interesting partnership between government and business to contract Lyft or something to drive essential employees back and forth to work if they need it. But telling people to keep their distance while still operating fairly crowded trains and buses is a mixed message.

Boris Johnson has just been admitted to hospital as his symptoms are still persisting 10 days after his diagnosis.

Also peaking in July instead of April is actually the point of “flattening the curve” and Im not sure how people not abiding by rules is causing the peak to move into July instead of being in April. That’s not how it works.
Yeah, our peak is projected to be the end of April/early May despite getting the virus first because flattening the curve kicks the can down the road for the sake of hospitals. If you want an earlier peak and don't mind killing 5x more people than necessary, send them back to work and see what happens.

I hate to say it, but I've gotten used to tuning out new deadlines, estimates and forecasts as they are all too often based on ignorance, faulty science, bad information, or agenda. If I can find an article that actually synthesizes a plurality of viewpoints and academic sources in a meaningful way, it's like a needle in a haystack. This July estimate is about as meaningful as all the others. Which is to say, not very.

Last edited:
To be fair the Iraqi guy did throw both of his shoes, one after the other. :lol:
Oh, didn't know he threw both! There were some great cartoons about.
This isn't an official item, but please for the love of all we have left which isn't much...don't give Trump any ideas

View attachment 12450
:faceinhands:

yeah, NOOOO!
Jedi mind trick: "This is NOT the Idea you were looking for"

:sigh: Some people. :angry:

(Reuters) - Ireland's prime minister Leo Varadkar has re-registered as a medical practitioner and will work one shift a week to help out during the coronavirus crisis, his office said on Sunday.

Varadkar worked as a doctor for seven years before leaving the profession to become a politician and was removed from the medical register in 2013.

He rejoined the medical register in March, and offered his services to the country's Health Service Executive (HSE) for one session a week in areas that are within his scope of practice, a spokesman for his office said.

"Many of his family and friends are working in the health service. He wanted to help out even in a small way," the spokesman added.

Last month, health minister Simon Harris launched a recruitment drive for the country's struggling health service to tackle the coronavirus outbreak with a stark message: "Your country needs you".

The HSE said it had spoken to thousands of healthcare professionals who may be eligible to return after it received more than 70,000 responses for its "Be on call for Ireland" initiative.

According to a report in the Irish Times, Varadkar is helping out with phone assessments. Anybody who may have been exposed to the virus is initially assessed over the phone.

Varadkar comes from a medical family. He is the son of a doctor and a nurse and, according to the Irish Times, his partner, two sisters and their husbands all work in healthcare.
Good for him and safety for him, and family. :up:

People cannot be expected to conform to the necessary restrictions put in place if they lack the resources to do so. That will be America's ultimate undoing in this crisis. With no social safety net and vast income inequality, combined with a market-based healthcare system entirely based on "efficiency," you are completely unprepared as a society to deal with something like this. Trump is handling it as poorly as possible, but there is no scenario where the United States rises to this challenge in the austerity era. It is just a shame that the Trump administration is here to answer every question as to "What's the worst case scenario of that?"

Don't catch Gov Cuomo's or Mayor deBlasio's briefings live, but today (and maybe earlier) deB was talking about inequalities re race, and by history of that money/resources/class as well. :up:

I'm Christian and I'm not like that. My Mom was Christian in all the best ways I can possibly think of. She raised me to be that way, and led by example.

I don't currently belong to a church, but if I did that wouldn't mean to me that I believe in a God who "allows" any such thing.

As a Christian I believe in love, compassion, empathy, giving to others, not judging others. I also believe in the brain that God gave me, and I believe 100% in science.

Please try not to stereotype all Christians, there are plenty of good ones out there. Blood of Jesus lady is not the standard bearer. She's going against what Jesus taught, to love your neighbor as yourself. She's endangering the health and lives of others by going to church. It makes no sense at all and it's a moral and religious contradiction.
THIS.

My mom in particular was very strong on "do unto others" so that's where my social upbringing went/is regarding equality, and justice towards that end (among other things).

She also partly grew up in nyc's "Hell's Kitchen" back in the day. So she could be protectively nasty when needed. Not quite always 'turn the other cheek" verbally. I'm that way too.

I am a (ex-Catholic b/c of my theological change about 49 yrs ago) person of Spirit and Science.

I've been astounded by how compliant Chicago has been. The real test will be when the weather gets decent, but given how our springs generally go, that could still be a month away.

What I don't get about the major city response, Chicago included, is why public transit is still operating. If ever there was a perfect spot for contagion, that's it. Could be an interesting partnership between government and business to contract Lyft or something to drive essential employees back and forth to work if they need it. But telling people to keep their distance while still operating fairly crowded trains and buses is a mixed message.

Here in NYC and hey feel it's not so safe to be in a smaller enclosed space like a taxi, car srvice.

Last edited:
He is a pile of trash.

Thing is there are many trials testing the drugs out at the moment, including at my hospital. If they end up showing good results he will be vindicated, but this is one of the most irresponsible things I have heard coming from a leader.

If they end up showing good results, it'll be because responsible people did their jobs. He can take credit and feel "vindicated" all he wants (and no doubt he will), but he clearly had nothing to do with it.

I do continue to be heartened by news of all the tests that are being done for drugs and vaccines that could combat this. I know that they estimate it'll be a while before any of that stuff will be on the market, but if it does wind up being possible to get any successful stuff out sooner that can help people, then fantastic. Much thanks to all the scientists working round the clock to figure out a solution to this.

News from NYC

We lost around 529 people in the 2nd previous 24 cycle. :sad:
This past 24cycle is the first time the death rate is below the previous day. A glimpse of hope.
They are saying we might not get an apex, but more of a plateau, then a decline in cases.

Oregon, and China have sent more supplies to NYC. Health workers and others from out of state have come here to help. Thank you! ❤️

Also 2 of the big private hospitals are taking non-covid19 I'll patients from the public hospitals so they can concentrate more can on the covid19 cases in their areas. :up:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom