Global Pandemic Part II: Sequel Escalation - Page 38 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2020, 04:34 PM   #741
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Dunk View Post
Universal healthcare isn't going to make it easy, by any stretch. A pandemic is a pandemic. But not having it is a huge hindrance to successfully treating it, as well as dealing with it in anything resembling a timely manner. And the US is already starting to throw its hands up on physical distancing measures.

It seems like the perfect storm in the US really. A lack of universal healthcare, likely a large number of undiagnosed chronic conditions, this wild west leftover attitude of the government is out to get me, an individualistic society of extreme capitalism coupled with just about the worst leadership imaginable.

Any one of these are a challenge during a pandemic but this is a terrible combination and really spells disaster.

Old 04-29-2020, 04:37 PM   #742
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
i fully expect that there will be no sports or concerts at all in 2020.

thankfully i don't need the money right now but i've got a bunch of "postponed" concert tickets and raptors and blue jays tickets for games that will obviously not happen and will be cancelled, without any way of getting that money back until they actually cancel the seasons, which of course the leagues won't do until they absolutely have to. i would be ready to burn ticketmaster to the ground right now if i had lost my job and had no income coming in.

the major sports leagues would all be better off if they just accepted that this season is a write-off and start preparing for next year.

I’m willing to bet that most of the leagues will resume play without audiences.

Old 04-29-2020, 04:39 PM   #743
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Remdesivir has had its arms tied behind its back in these studies because it's generally been administered to the critically ill. The drug primarily works to stop viral replication, which is why Dr. Fauci claims it "blocks" the virus, not kills it. Once it's out of control, all remdesivir does is buy the patient time.

The challenge is in administering remdesivir early enough in the infection that it makes a big difference when it takes so long for COVID-19 symptoms to appear. Another reason why testing is so crucial.

Sounds like we should all just take it then!! Remdesivir cocktails for everyone!!

WHO is pumping the brakes a little bit on this.

I’m sure Trump will be very careful to not tout this as a miracle
Old 04-29-2020, 04:48 PM   #744
Blue Crack Supplier

sort of along these lines, i find this fascinating:

Quote:
A new clinical trial is underway in Spain that will assess whether Truvada, a drug commonly used as PrEP for HIV prevention, can stave off COVID-19 infection among medical practitioners seeking to treat patients amid the pandemic.

If successful, the trial may have broader implications for the general public and not just health workers. But the next step would be awaiting the result of the trials before the drug is determined to be effective.

The study, which began April 1 and is expected to run through the summer, is being conducted at Ramón y Cajal University Hospital in Madrid and sponsored by the Spanish National AIDS Plan, an arm of the Spanish government.

An estimated 4,000 participants will participate in the study, each of whom are medical workers age 18 to 65 working in areas of Spain heavily afflicted with the coronavirus.

Dr. Jose Arribas, research director of HIV and infectious diseases at La Paz Hospital in Madrid, said in Spanish via email to the Washington Blade one underlying basis for testing Truvada against COVID-19 is his findings that relatively few HIV-positive people have the disease.

“We are seeing few cases of HIV-positive people with severe COVID-19,” Arribas said. “This is surprising because the immune system of an HIV-positive person has similarities to that of older people who do have severe cases of COVID-19. Furthermore, there is evidence from in vitro studies that supports Truvada can have an immunomodulatory effect.”

Asked whether Truvada could be used for everyone, not just health care workers, if shown to have a positive impact in the study, Arribas replied, “You have to wait for the results of the study before we can answer this question.”

The National Institutes of Health in the United States posted a notice Monday about the test on the agency’s website, which lists ongoing or upcoming clinical trials across the globe.

According to the abstract, the study will seek to assess whether the components of Truvada — as well as hydroxychloroquine, a drug with well publicized potential use against COVID-19 — are effective in preventing coronavirus infection among medical practitioners because “healthcare workers are particularly at risk of SARS-CoV-2.”

“In the absence of a vaccine, other strategies aiming to reduce the development of COVID-19 in the population, more specifically in healthcare workers is being sought,” the abstract says. “Administration of effective drugs to people at risk of developing an infectious disease is well accepted and is part of clinical practice.”

The choice of Truvada for the study, according to the abstract, is the result of anecdotal evidence the medicine may be effective against COVID-19.

“Existing recent and scarce literature shows that RNA synthesis nucleos(t)ide analogue inhibitors, acting as viral RNA chain terminators, like TDF, abacavir or lamivudine, amongst others, could have an effect against SARS-CoV-2 infection,” the abstract says.

Over the course of the 12-week study, administrators will provide daily doses of Tenofovir Disoproxil Fumarate and Emtricitabine, the components of Truvada, Hydroxychloroquine and placebos to study participants.

One group will receive a daily dose of Truvada and a hydroxychloroquine placebo; another will receive hydroxychloroquine and a Truvada placebo; another will receive both drugs; and another will receive a placebo of both drugs.

The trial will assess confirmed infections of COVID-19 as a primary outcome measure, then the severity of disease, including its duration, among confirmed infected participants as a secondary outcome measure.

The initial results of the study are expected to be compiled by June 30, but the study won’t be completed until July 31, the abstract says.

Overseeing the test will be Dr. Rosa Polo of the Spanish National AIDS Plan and Miguel Hernan, an epidemiologist at the Harvard School of Public Health, according to the abstract.

Ramón y Cajal University Hospital in Madrid and the Spanish National AIDS Plan didn’t respond to a request for comment.

Truvada has been brought up as a potential drug to test against COVID-19 among many other medications being assessed for use against the epidemic. Also in the mix is Remdesivir, an antiviral drug the medical experts have said may hold the best chance against COVID-19.

https://www.washingtonblade.com/2020...dical-workers/
Old 04-29-2020, 04:49 PM   #745
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:00 PM
Quote:
i fully expect that there will be no sports or concerts at all in 2020.

thankfully i don't need the money right now but i've got a bunch of "postponed" concert tickets and raptors and blue jays tickets for games that will obviously not happen and will be cancelled, without any way of getting that money back until they actually cancel the seasons, which of course the leagues won't do until they absolutely have to. i would be ready to burn ticketmaster to the ground right now if i had lost my job and had no income coming in.

the major sports leagues would all be better off if they just accepted that this season is a write-off and start preparing for next year.
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...nds-lost-games

MLB today has announced that teams will now draft their own policies for refunds for games not played (seems they have finally accepted 162 games is definitely not happening), so check the Blow Jays website for specifics there.

As for Ticketmaster, they are just pure evil. Fortunately I don't have a lot tied up with them, my biggest concert purchase so far this year was Boston Calling Festival (used Front Gate Tickets, not TM) and they finally implemented a refund policy, though they are going to take their sweet time actually issuing the refunds. But, like you, I'm not put out by the lack of funds. Lots of folks however are, and Ticketmaster/Live Nation (I occasionally see folks defend Ticketmaster saying they don't have the money, the promoter does, they fail to understand in the vast majority of cases the concert's promoter is Live Nation, who is Ticketmaster, they are the same corporation) should be allowing refunds. This BS that an event is merely postponed so you have to wait for the announcement of new dates is borderline illegal. Once an event has been deemed not to happen on its intended date, the ticket buyer is supposed to have the option of a refund or can choose to hold the tickets for a rescheduled date.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:51 PM   #746
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
Sounds like we should all just take it then!! Remdesivir cocktails for everyone!!

WHO is pumping the brakes a little bit on this.

I’m sure Trump will be very careful to not tout this as a miracle
Considering a single dose of remdesivir will probably cost thousands of dollars and can't be found under the kitchen sink, I'm not too worried about Trump's homespun medical advice.

We just need the drug to work. If it doesn't, there are dozens of other candidates.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:56 PM   #747
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

This drug has been used on severe cases correct ? Through an IV ?

Is this how it would be used going forward? Or is there a version that can be taken without being hospitalized ?

And as you said, if taken early enough maybe it does have a good chance to reduce or even block out the virus effects. But since we can’t get tested until it’s nearly too late, seems like a catch 22
Old 04-29-2020, 05:02 PM   #748
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAL View Post
This drug has been used on severe cases correct ? Through an IV ?

Is this how it would be used going forward? Or is there a version that can be taken without being hospitalized ?

And as you said, if taken early enough maybe it does have a good chance to reduce or even block out the virus effects. But since we can’t get tested until it’s nearly too late, seems like a catch 22

Typically it’s a lot easier to get patients on trials or a lot easier to test medications in mercy-mode when the patient is desperate.

It’s not a catch 22, it’s just the natural format that they’re the trial patients. There’s more of them.

If it proves to be effective in go-around one, I’m sure they’ll expand the trial to asymptomatic patients and minor conditional patients, which are harder to find and monitor... and harder to remove noise from... so you probably need even more of them.

Rambling because all I’m doing is speculating, but I think you’re getting ahead of yourself in thinking that this type of treatment is simply only available when it’s too late.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:07 PM   #749
Blue Crack Addict

I read something about Ticketmaster being forced to give refunds, that they were originally not going to give refunds for postponed events.

I had a ballet ticket, not through TM. The ballet sells their own. It was cancelled and I donated the cost just to do my very small part to support them. Riverdance postponed to September, doubt it will happen. Will want a refund.

I have a Lady Gaga ticket for August, that won't happen. I definitely want my money back on that, not cheap. I hadn't bought any sports tickets.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:17 PM   #750
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 06:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
Typically it’s a lot easier to get patients on trials or a lot easier to test medications in mercy-mode when the patient is desperate.
This. And I think it's made the drug seem a lot less helpful than it could be.

If we had contact tracing, remdesivir could be supplied early and effectively. A few states are building a system, but it's a long way off.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:22 PM   #751
Blue Crack Addict

I just went to the Ticketmaster site and requested a refund for Riverdance, they had postponed it until 2021. Did it through my account section, they said it will be refunded within 30 days. Just passing that along if it helps anyone.

Nothing on Lady Gaga yet. She even delayed the release of her new album, which seems financially motivated to me. In the middle of all this, not a good look. Her record company did that, don't know how much say she had in the matter.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:24 PM   #752
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I have a Lady Gaga ticket for August, that won't happen. I definitely want my money back on that, not cheap. I hadn't bought any sports tickets.
Once that show gets officially canceled, you should get an automatic refund within 30 days, that's what's happening with the Fenway Dead and Company show, the only one officially canceled at this point (James Taylor has been postponed which is just sweet baby wishful thinking).
Old 04-29-2020, 05:29 PM   #753
Blue Crack Addict

And don't laugh at Riverdance, I love it. Actually it was the 25th Anniversary Tour and I was going in memory of my Mom. We saw it together a couple of times.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:39 PM   #754
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Once that show gets officially canceled, you should get an automatic refund within 30 days, that's what's happening with the Fenway Dead and Company show, the only one officially canceled at this point (James Taylor has been postponed which is just sweet baby wishful thinking).
Ok thanks, I'm thinking she'll postpone the tour until next year. She wants to have a baby too though. I don't even know what my life would be in 2021 or where I could possibly be so I think I'd just ask for a refund. Would really hate to miss it, I've never seen wild and crazy Gaga live and I wanted to see that. Just jazz and piano.

All these are very small sacrifices in the very sad and difficult bigger picture. But at the same time it's like the loss of life as we knew it. Each one of these things is. For me I always think of how much I took them for granted too. Seize the day.
Old 04-29-2020, 05:40 PM   #755
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

Old 04-29-2020, 06:09 PM   #756
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
I’m willing to bet that most of the leagues will resume play without audiences.
Good bet.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:44 PM   #757
Blue Crack Addict

I’ve now been told to plan on a return to the office no earlier than September and even then it will likely be sporadic only (come in for in-person meetings if absolutely necessary otherwise work from home).

There are business consultants making good $ now advising how office workplaces have to renovate the premises to allow for physical distancing. Some of the measures are bonkers - a lot of time and $ to devote to getting people back so that they can essentially be locked inside their office all day avoiding other people. This is totally irrational for everyone except critical staff that need to be present so I think that you will see lots of businesses simply elect to keep non-critical office workers home for a very long time.

International leisure travel is a total write off for 2020 as well. The airline industry and airports don’t expect to return to anything resembling 2019 #s for 5 years and are doing their forecasts and business plans accordingly.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:05 PM   #758
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Good bet.
it'll be fun to watch a game or two before a player or someone on a team's staff tests positive and they have to shut the whole thing down again.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:25 PM   #759
Refugee

As far as U.K. football goes, it will be a travesty if Liverpool is denied their first ever Premiership after an almost flawless season to date (only 1 draw and 1 loss). My team is down in League One (aka the third division), but we're 5 points clear at the top with a game in hand. Still 9 rounds to play but I'd be gutted if promotion was within our grasp like that and then just ripped away.

Will be interesting to see how seasons are resolved across the U.K. Obviously those on track for promotion or European tournaments will desperately want to continue or at least end the season as is and commence accordingly next season. Those in relegation positions with a chance to avoid the drop would be more than happy to scrap the season though. Not going to please everyone whatever happens.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:46 PM   #760
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
it'll be fun to watch a game or two before a player or someone on a team's staff tests positive and they have to shut the whole thing down again.
When sports first come back it will likely be with quarantined teams. Nobody will be allowed in or out. It also won't start up until at least June. Biz Ops and Basketball/Hockey Ops won't cross paths for a while other than virtually.

There's a chance NHL and NBA punt on the end of this season strictly based on timing - but they're going to do everything in their power to have some sort of a playoff for each league. The linchpin is testing. Are there enough to test without looking like complete dicks for taking so many tests?

Things would have to take a serious turn for the worst for MLB to cancel - and if NFL, NBA and NHL aren't running in the fall? Then we have much bigger issues than whether or not sports are running.