Global Pandemic Part II: Sequel Escalation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s in the best interest of a virus to become less lethal, because that immediately makes it more infectious. It’s why Ebola is very lethal but not particularly infectious (when people drop dead in short order they have nobody to infect). So this is an expected outcome, may it continue.

From the Atlantic - totally unsurprising. The cruise industry can aggrandize all they want. The basic rule of statistics is never trust data expressed on a % change if the absolute numbers are not provided.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/05/is-flying-safe-coronavirus/611335/

Blerrggg - MG
And you and your buddies trash such an important virologist's program?! More blood on your hands, MM's, the Cheeto, etc.
:gah: :sad:

These days (since drumph was sworn in) I usually let the Emojis do my crying and yelling for me (that way I sometimes get more stuff done, and don't scare my nice neighbors :D)

Former WH correspondent April Ryan has said that covid19 is more prevalent in the WH than they are letting on.

Last edited:
Just sharing more stuff from Aus, at the weekend we had small groups of insane protestors gathering in some of our major cities and chanting "arrest Bill Gates".

They believe it's all got a lot to do with 5G - are there similar concerns over yonder?

Former WH correspondent April Ryan has said that covid19 is more prevalent in the WH than they are letting on.

Truly wouldn't surprise me. Isn't it great we're at the point where we've got a government that might be willing to lie about how many sick people are lurking around the White House? Especially since some of them have traveled to other states sans masks, thus potentially infecting other people in the process (who knows how many people Pence put at risk during his recent trip to my state, for instance?).

Fucking assholes.

Just sharing more stuff from Aus, at the weekend we had small groups of insane protestors gathering in some of our major cities and chanting "arrest Bill Gates".

They believe it's all got a lot to do with 5G - are there similar concerns over yonder?

Ohhhhhhh, yeah :|. We've got people willing to storm state capital buildings with guns and harass lawmakers because they're bitching about not being able to get haircuts, so yeah, if they're stupid enough to do that, they're stupid enough to believe in this bullshit, too.

punch this into a twitter search and see for yourself...

WWG1WGA

also, ya know, this... which is real...

EXvOxWHXsAIfW0k

I just read about that Raleigh NC protest Saturday and came here to post about it. A freaking rocket launcher in a Subway. I go out for fresh air and exercise unarmed, that is possible.

Saturday's demonstration was organized by a group called Blue Igloo, according to The News & Observer. The group responded to a request for comment about the event by email late Sunday. "The walk on Saturday wasn't a protest, it was a gathering to support our God given freedoms as Americans," the group said in an email. "We headed out for a walk to get some fresh air, sunshine, and some much needed exercise."

"We are a peaceful group, and wish to keep it that way at all costs," the statement said. "We aren't looking for a fight. We in fact, want the opposite. We want to put on a smile, shake some hands, and be friendly. An armed society is a polite society."

In a video posted on the group's Facebook page, members can be seen entering the sandwich shop and walking up to the counter to order meals.

"Do you guys mind if we eat here?" the person recording the video can be heard asking. "We don't want to make it look like we're threatening or intimidating anyone, which is why I ask."

The demonstration Saturday took place during the first full day of North Carolina's phased-in reopening during the COVID-19 pandemic. In the first phase, which began Friday evening, parks and certain businesses were allowed to reopen while adhering to social distancing guidelines. Gatherings remain limited to no more than 10 people.

As of Sunday night, there had been 14,764 confirmed cases and 547 deaths attributed to COVID-19 in North Carolina.

bnpwYbKD.jpeg

EXmJxB_XgAERgJd.jpg

EXmJxB-X0AA1fq3.jpg

EXmJxB_XsAM7u5k.jpg

"Do you guys mind if we eat here?" the person recording the video can be heard asking. "We don't want to make it look like we're threatening or intimidating anyone, which is why I ask."

The stupid just writes itself.

Hey, cobl04

oh, same ole, same old..
...a portion of the USA population...

...crazeeeeness with Uber gun-nuts, 5G'rs, violent racists, violent sexists, anti-Semites, anti-imigrantism, anti-vaxers, climate-change deniers, etc most being Trumpists.

yeah. :sad: :gah: :sad:

This stuff all makes me wonder what Cactus Annie is up to these days. If her tv hasn’t killed her yet that is.

I love that female Asian reporter who just stood up to him, and asked him why it is a competition with other countries for him in the midst of all the deaths here. Sorry I don't know her name.

Then he completely disrespected Kaitlan Collins. Always does this to female reporters.

He is the whiniest bitch on TV. Good lord.

He just did a racism there at the end, too.

Yes he did, and she called him out on it. Good for her, how dare he say that to her. Disgusting

I knew he would wig out somehow, but ask China to an Asian reporter...wasn't expecting that. Even though at this point I should. He makes me sick.

Last edited:
The most satisfying part of the whole thing is that he was actually having a really good press conference. Stayed under control for the most part. Even the whole "Obamagate" flub was just like whatever, and then out came the racism and the reporter doing a tremendous job making him look like a complete ass, and then he caps it off by running off scared.

they know he's going to lose. bigly.

That means, perhaps above all, resuming the deficit fear-mongering that was such an effective tool to hamstring Barack Obama’s presidency. It also means adjusting their policy and spending agenda to the defensive. They aren’t bothering to talk much about new tax cuts or anything else they’d like to pass. Instead, the focus is shifting to cutbacks and constraints. “Automatic spending cuts as the economy improves” is something a Republican would want only if there’s a Democrat in the White House. It shows that that’s precisely what at least some of them are anticipating.

Meanwhile, Republicans are encouraging and amplifying the still-small movement to defy stay-at-home orders, with all the same deranged rhetoric about “tyranny” that we heard in 2009 when conservatives rose up in rage at Obama. Any work they do now will make it easier to ramp up the new version of the tea party if Joe Biden wins.

The Opinions section is looking for stories of how the coronavirus has affected people of all walks of life. Write to us.

And as for Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, he’s nothing if not practical. If you think Trump’s chances of reelection are dwindling, why would you try to save the economy now? Imagine if you passed measures that made the recovery easier but Trump lost anyway. Then Biden wouldn’t have such a hard time, and Republicans getting a huge backlash win in 2022 would be less likely. Better to keep everyone miserable for a couple more years. McConnell can just confirm as many hard-right judges as possible between now and January, and consider his work done.

It’s not that there’s no sincere sentiment underneath the Republican reticence to do too much to save the economy. Republicans are genuinely fearful that people will be too thankful if government helps them too much and that the crisis will make the passage of stronger safety-net programs more likely in the future.

But if you thought Trump could still win, your best move would be to give the economy the biggest short-term boost possible with massive government spending, then worry about cutting it back later. Doing nothing now, even if you’re planning to promote cuts in a year or two, suggests only that you think the Trump presidency is all but a lost cause.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...zV1IHUCGz1SB-qFe4T0ZjTaDk_cFxNckYHppNkxFeQnwU

The economy ship has sailed for him as a re-election strategy IMO. Even the largest stimulus package imaginable won't do much of anything to curb unemployment. I think I read somewhere that in Georgia a large number of businesses still won't reopen even with the lifted restrictions.

they know he's going to lose. bigly.

The only thing that they aren't addressing - and it's the big white elephant in the room - is the reality of 2020 census redistricting.

Every year that passes diminishes the # of GOP voters.

But redistricting could accelerate that exponentially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom