Global Pandemic Part II: Sequel Escalation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
on a side note, i don't feel badly at all wishing that Stephen Miller gets the virus and gets horribly ill. he's a monster who has inflicted pain and suffering on children, and he advocates horrendous, racist policies. i don't wish death, i wish a dreadful flu, and when he recovers, may he see the world differently and develop maybe just an ounce of compassion for other human beings.

on a side note, i don't feel badly at all wishing that Stephen Miller gets the virus and gets horribly ill. he's a monster who has inflicted pain and suffering on children, and he advocates horrendous, racist policies. i don't wish death, i wish a dreadful flu, and when he recovers, may he see the world differently and develop maybe just an ounce of compassion for other human beings.

I don't wish ill on anyone, least of all this virus. But I do understand where you're coming from. Sadly I don't think even that would make him develop an ounce of compassion. He's not a well person already, and that kind of sickness can only be helped if you start by realizing you are sick.

It's frightening that he "advises" the US President.

Is announcing that you won't be matching 401ks anymore a good thing to put in an end of the day email news dump to all employees? Asking for a friend.

i guess it must be, because a friend of mine got an email about an hour ago that in my his firm there will be no salary reviews, raises, or bonuses of any kind until Q3 2021.

Yeah, I don't wish death. Like I said, I just want karma of some kind to come and visit these assholes hardcore. I sadly don't think they're capable of compassion, but if this whole mess is what finally gets them the hell out of the White House later this year and humiliates them enough to where they're forced to go away somewhere where they're never seen or heard from again, then I'll be happy.

Well it did start with bats so it makes sense a vampire would catch it at some point

I love you.

Us
Would you look at that. We do have a resident immunologist. Thank you!

Certainly my worries were more with the antibody tests, mostly because those can give a false sense of security.
Thanks, anitram!

"Higgins, can you put a fresh pair of bikini briefs on me, I have an interview with that reporter from OAN in a half hour."
Eeeeeeeeew!
Oh, thanks a lot, now I have to go and sanitize my brain!

How are these two not in jail?

She Said Anthony Fauci Sexually Assaulted Her. Now She Says Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman Paid Her to Lie.
What!??!?!!!
I hadn't even heard this. :crack:
And who are these guys?!

Please, please, universe, let karma come back and bite him so goddamn hard somehow. Please.
Puulllleeeeeezzzeeeeee!!! :sad: :crack:

Anyone else actually feeling less optimistic? I’ve been feeling the dread creeping in more and more as this thing doesn’t seem to be getting better fast enough. I now have friends with dead parents because of COVID.
So sorry about your friends, Irvine. :( How horrific!

I haven't felt optimistic throughout this whole crisis and I sure as hell don't now things are reopening, simply because, well, look at the idiots in charge. If anything is giving me any kind of hope, it's the responsible, mature, intelligent governors out there actually doing their jobs and the medical experts and professionals who are working hard to try and get some treatments and an eventual vaccine out there. They're the reason any of us might be able to make it through this crisis at all.
I go between somewhat pesemistic to a bit optimistic. The groups of people whom you mention are what give me hope. At 6 weeks -67 yrs (with no known underlying conditions) I'm more anxious than some of you. :sigh: Being very careful! May go out very carefullyto a park once ior twice depending some time in June if NYC partially opens up sometime then. Luckily a lot of art, and craft making at home keeps me focused and occupied. :)

Thank you LM, for your info which some I have to be more awake to read, and now gives me some more hope. :up:

In Russia, three doctors who criticized the country's handling of the virus fell out of windows and it appears that more people are starting to wonder why so many of Putin's critics or enemies seem to have such problems with their balance when near windows.
I saw that stuff 2 days ago! Wtf!?!

https://twitter.com/thehowie/status/1258741293070585858?s=21

Red states have seen their cases on the rise, where the blue / purple states have declined.

Problem is red states have nearly all decided to say fuck it and open back up this week, right as they’re on the climb.

I think the first week of June could be really ugly, both statistically and morale

A seriously disturbing historical report (public radio) yesterday told how this demand by some people for the "freedom" to open up actually has it's roots in the freedom that USA slaveholders demanded to treat their slaves any way they wanted. :ohmy: :crack:

Last edited:
i guess it must be, because a friend of mine got an email about an hour ago that in my his firm there will be no salary reviews, raises, or bonuses of any kind until Q3 2021.

I expect zero cash bonus for fiscal 2020 - easier just to assume that's the case and make peace with it. I do think some employers will still be giving away stock awards (RSUs/DSUs) with long vesting periods as they are costless in the near term but still serve a retention purpose.

I imagine we'll be seeing deflation in a lot of countries, so if your salary stays the same, look on the bright side and think of it as a 1-2% raise.

Positive cases in the WH and Trump met outside today with World War II veterans. Didn't wear a mask. He said it was ok because they were far enough apart.

And according to Kayleeiiiiggghhh they wanted to come to White House do they accept the risk

in fairness, it's hard to pass up a deal where you buy one week at sea and then get two more weeks at the docks added for free.

:lol:

Further proof that our species has really overstayed its welcome here.

Also, its kind of important to note this sentence:

Cruise Planners, an American Express travel franchise, reports that bookings skyrocketed 600% over 3 days after the announcement. That was in comparison to the 3 days prior to the announcement

So 6 times as many cruises were booked in the 3 days after it was announced that cruises would resume than on the 3 days prior when no cruises were actually scheduled.

If there was 1 cruise booked before the announcement and 6 more were booked afterward, they could tout a 600% increase.

Italian interview with some medical professionals in Rome and Genoa discussing what we've been observing for the past couple weeks w/r/t declines in deaths and severe cases, I'll provide a translation for some of it:

https://www.corriere.it/salute/mala...gi-00402a12-8f71-11ea-bb7f-d3d655d2211a.shtml

Is coronavirus really losing power? Here's what we know today

Virologist Massimo Clementi (San Raffaele): "The clinical expression of the infection is milder, the intensive care is emptying. The heat could also play a role

Is Sars-CoV-2 becoming less aggressive? In recent days the opinions of several experts seem to be going in this direction. "We are observing that the virus is losing potency - said Massimo Ciccozzi, head of the Medical Statistics and Molecular Epidemiology Unit of the Campus Bio-Medico University of Rome during a hearing in the Senate -. It evolves, but loses contagiousness and, probably, lethality ». Matteo Bassetti, director of infectious diseases at the Policlinico San Martino in Genoa and member of the task force of the Liguria Region confirms: "In March this virus was a tsunami, now it has become a wave. Perhaps it is because it has already hit the most fragile subjects, making a "natural selection", or perhaps it has weakened. It is an injection of confidence for phase 2, but it will take 2-3 weeks to judge whether the Italians have performed well ". Prudent also Francesco Le Foche, head of Immuno-infectious disease at the Day hospital of the Policlinico Umberto I in Rome: «Today we see less important syndromes from the clinical point of view. This could be due to a reduction in virus virulence. But progress must not suggest a "free for all" ".

What tools do we have to help us determine if Sars-CoV-2 has become less aggressive? We ask Massimo Clementi, director of the Laboratory of Microbiology and Virology at the San Raffaele Hospital in Milan and professor at the Vita-Salute San Raffaele University.

"The first evaluation is linked to the clinical expression of the infection, which is now milder. During the dramatic phase, about 80 people arrived at San Raffaele a day, most of whom needed hospitalization in intensive care. Things have changed markedly for about two weeks and, as we see, intensive care is gradually being released. The infection no longer flows into the very serious phase, the so-called "cytokine storm": we see it in the hospital, even if for now it is only an empirical observation. In general, patients in need of hospitalization are falling sharply, the epidemic is still there but from a clinical point of view it is "emptying". "

How can you prove that the virus' power has diminished?

"We need scientific evidence of a mutation that leads him to adapt to the guest, that is, to man. A new virus is always very aggressive in the early stages, then learns to live with its "victim". It is an opportunistic attitude that allows him to survive. If a virus kills the host (like the Ebola virus) it does not, in turn, have a chance to replicate itself. In Italy, a network has been set up between virology laboratories in many hospitals, including San Raffaele and Sacco in Milan, those in Bergamo, Brescia, Florence, Padua, Rome, Naples, Bari. The goal is to work together for monitoring constant of virus sequences, on sample subjects. The final study will tell us how Sars-CoV-2 has moved from one area to another, selecting a variant rather than another. We expect this new coronavirus to gradually become harmless, like its "cousins", responsible for the cold. "

Can the arrival of heat influence the germ's aggressiveness level?

"For now it is a guess, but it is very likely that it is - specifies Massimo Clementi -. Four "softened" coronaviruses circulate in humans, two of which are very similar to Sars-CoV-2 in chemical-physical characteristics (beta-coronavirus). One of these has probably existed since 1200 and has adapted to us with great success. All of them cause modest infections, except in very young children, from 0 to 2 years old, in which they can lead to the development of bronchiolitis. And all of them circulate only in winter, to disappear instead in the warm months. As the American virologist Robert Gallo rightly observed, the spread of Sars-CoV-2 first affected the northern hemisphere and is now moving to the countries of the southern hemisphere, where the winter season is starting ".

Is it possible to achieve the so-called "herd immunity"?

«Without a vaccine you can't stop the virus. In the case of measles, caused by a very contagious virus (such as Sars-CoV-2), it is necessary that in a community there are 95% of immune to be protected also the remaining 5%. It is precisely herd immunity. Furthermore, in the case of the new coronavirus, we know that there may not be an exact correlation between the antibody titers detected with the current tests and the amount of neutralizing antibodies, so we do not know how effective the defenses are at our disposal. We are not even sure about their duration. Further information on the issue of immunity is needed. "

As it so happens, we do have recent evidence of mutation:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/scientists-discover-unique-mutation-of-new-coronavirus

After comparing these to sequences of SARS-CoV-2 deposited in the nonprofit GISAID’s EpiCoVTM Database, it became clear that one of the viruses had a unique mutation that involved the deletion of 81 letters from its genome.

For Dr. Lim, “[o]ne of the reasons why this mutation is of interest is because it mirrors a large deletion that arose in the 2003 SARS outbreak.”

Previous research has suggested that similar deletions reduced the ability of the coronavirus at the heart of the 2003 SARS outbreak to replicate. A weakened virus may have a reduced short-term selective advantage — but it may have an increased selective advantage in the mid to long term.

The deletions that the ASU team identified in SARS-CoV-2 affect parts of the code that produce a particular protein. The scientists believe that this protein is key to helping SARS-CoV-2 evade human defenses, allowing it to replicate quickly.

Last edited:
I was both appalled and not surprised that in Snohomish county, where the first confirmed case in the USA was, when I went grocery shopping on Friday only about 1/50 were wearing masks, no one was observing the 6ft signage, and most of the people were over 50.

Italian interview with some medical professionals in Rome and Genoa discussing what we've been observing for the past couple weeks w/r/t declines in deaths and severe cases, I'll provide a translation for some of it:

https://www.corriere.it/salute/mala...gi-00402a12-8f71-11ea-bb7f-d3d655d2211a.shtml

As it so happens, we do have recent evidence of mutation:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/scientists-discover-unique-mutation-of-new-coronavirus
This is cautiously very encouraging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom