Global Pandemic Part II: Sequel Escalation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And where is Gzusfrk? I want him to comment on the fact that he laughed when people said that 10’s of thousands would die in the USA! Now we are 50K + deaths and at this rate it will not be 10’s of thousands, it will be 100’s of thousands. When will cowards like GZus come here and admit that they were WRONG???

You’re two weeks behind, I already did.

Can’t even gloat and troll properly

Why are you so obsessed with me?

Dude, you’re obsessed with me. If you haven’t noticed, that was a chain posting about you, because the whole FYM subforum is obsessed with you. Obsessed with the notion that someone could be such an unlikable caricature, as smug and ironically unintelligent as you are, with a mean spirit, which deserves an equally mean spirited response like the one you’re getting right now. You’re a not a good person.

You’re two weeks behind, I already did.

Can’t even gloat and troll properly
10virus-us-briefing-hartisland-mediumSquareAt3X.jpg
Why are you so obsessed with me?
Dude, you’re obsessed with me. If you haven’t noticed, that was a chain posting about you, because the whole FYM subforum is obsessed with you. Obsessed with the notion that someone could be such an unlikable caricature, as smug and ironically unintelligent as you are, with a mean spirit, which deserves an equally mean spirited response like the one you’re getting right now. You’re a not a good person.

That is true! I guess wishing for people like gzus to admit they are wrong is like wishing you have the winning lotto numbers. Never going to happen.

Referring to me as “that one” does make you the smartest person in the room, right?

Many of you don’t read very well or are so immersed in “group think” that you never notice , but I’ll say it for probably the tenth time,.

I think Donald Trump is a narcissistic, disgusting buffoon. I didn’t vote for him, nor will I again. I think his comments on “disinfectant injections” were stupid, and he should just shut up and let the experts talk. Are the libs blowing it up WAY more than it was, of course they are. Both points aren’t mutually exclusive.

On the flip side, Joe Biden is also a disgusting human being, with multiple pictures and videos of him inappropriately fondling and sniffing children, let alone grown women. He’s completely unhinged, and the fact that he’s the Democratic nominee is hilarious to me, but also seems like elder abuse.

I agree with many of, but not all, of the policy decisions that Donald Trump has made. His Supreme Court choices are stellar originalists as well, and if you notice , have sided with the “liberal four” justices on occasion. Why? Because they think for themselves and go by what the Constitution says, which is what a judge should do..

So I will be voting third party conservative again , because I believe in character and principles. And if a grass roots, true conservative movement away from both the Republican and Democratic parties takes a while, so be it.

Referring to me as “that one” does make you the smartest person in the room, right?

Many of you don’t read very well or are so immersed in “group think” that you never notice , but I’ll say it for probably the tenth time,.

I think Donald Trump is a narcissistic, disgusting buffoon. I didn’t vote for him, nor will I again. I think his comments on “disinfectant injections” were stupid, and he should just shut up and let the experts talk. Are the libs blowing it up WAY more than it was, of course they are. Both points aren’t mutually exclusive.

On the flip side, Joe Biden is also a disgusting human being, with multiple pictures and videos of him inappropriately fondling and sniffing children, let alone grown women. He’s completely unhinged, and the fact that he’s the Democratic nominee is hilarious to me, but also seems like elder abuse.

I agree with many of, but not all, of the policy decisions that Donald Trump has made. His Supreme Court choices are stellar originalists as well, and if you notice , have sided with the “liberal four” justices on occasion. Why? Because they think for themselves and go by what the Constitution says, which is what a judge should do..

So I will be voting third party conservative again , because I believe in character and principles. And if a grass roots, true conservative movement away from both the Republican and Democratic parties takes a while, so be it.

these are all just the thousands of normal annual pneumonia deaths happening but they're being fraudulently claimed as covid.

You think that maybe somebody should look into this rampant pneumonia? I mean it might be something novel...oh wait.

You are literally the first person I’ve ever heard, liberal or conservative, refer to Joe Biden as “unhinged.”

To be fair there are a lot of people with similar vantage points to that poster who vote libertarian, not republican.

What's important to note is that these symptoms are not spread out evenly, they're clustered together tightly in a relatively small percentage of all outcomes. It's not like 15% of those with COVID-19 experience kidney problems, 15% have strokes, 15% get pneumonia, 15% get the sniffles, etc.

It's more like 2% experience kidney problems, <1% have strokes, 10% get pneumonia, 30-40% feel nothing at all (maybe with loss of smell? Allergy-like symptoms?), and the rest (45-50%) solely experience mild respiratory problems not dissimilar from the flu before recovering. This certainly suggests a tipping point in the immune response in critical cases.

Last edited:
To be honest it is not that unusual for critically ill patients to start to require other organ support. Our organs are part of interconnected systems. The lungs not working as well, ends up putting more pressure on the heart, the heart then starts to struggle with increased demand to get what little oxygenated blood round the body, which then impacts the kidneys, and if the kidneys are not perfused as well then they will require support to filter your blood. It is a vicious cycle.

The strokes don't seem majorly surprising either. In that your lungs are a wonderfully well vascularised organ, lots of blood vessels, they get inflamed and damaged as part of the viral infection more likely to throw off a clot which then travels to brain and therefore your stroke.

It is hard to compare the likelihood of these events with other respiratory illnesses though since we never have this many people ill with one at once. It is also true that the protein the virus attaches itself to to infect your cells is present on nearly every major organ. There was a running theory that your genetics could play a part as in whether you have more of the protein than others and therefore more likely to infected, but that's impossible to prove at this stage of things.

My guess is that the people dying at home were more ill than they were letting on. There has certainly been a case of at least in the UK of people being afraid to go to the hospital and delaying going and they are turning up sicker than what people did on the onset of all this.

There are certainly some odd things going on though, like i've seen a guy with 60% oxygen saturations but to look at him you wouldn't actually think he was that critically unwell, no cyanosis or discolouration no shortness of breath, but by all measurements they are really unwell.

So what you're saying is...I should obsessively check my oxygen saturation levels at home even if I'm feeling fine?

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination but the different strains and different viral loads sound like bad news for vaccine developments?

Fascinating if terrifying thread/article, thanks for sharing.

I know, I know, it was a Sunday and underreporting is to be expected, but the following countries posted their lowest death counts in many weeks:

US (March 31)
France (March 12)
Spain (March 21)
Italy (March 14)
Germany (March 28)
UK (March 31)
Iran (March 10)

Yeah, it's going to be low because it's a Sunday, but there have been a bunch of Sundays since these previous lows. And plenty of countries did not have a good day: Russia, Brazil, India and Mexico all continued to experience a surge.

Collectively, this Sunday was the least deadly day of the pandemic since March 28th. Daily growth rate in newly reported deaths dropped to 2% for the first time since March 2nd. I would expect a rather large spike tomorrow because of underreporting, but who knows? Taking the whole week into account, this past week saw fewer deaths than the previous two.

Last edited:
So what you're saying is...I should obsessively check my oxygen saturation levels at home even if I'm feeling fine?

No the patient I'm referring to had other obvious issues such as severe fatigue and fever which brought them into hospital.

Just pointing out an odd presentation in that they didn't look obviously out of breath or blue even though their lungs were not oxygenating their blood well enough. Its not like he could have gone say up a flight of stairs without being short of breath, but considering how low the oxygenation was they should have been short of breath just sat on bed.

I know, I know, it was a Sunday and underreporting is to be expected, but the following countries posted their lowest death counts in many weeks:

US (March 31)
France (March 12)
Spain (March 21)
Italy (March 14)
Germany (March 28)
UK (March 31)
Iran (March 10)

Yeah, it's going to be low because it's a Sunday, but there have been a bunch of Sundays since these previous lows. And plenty of countries did not have a good day: Russia, Brazil, India and Mexico all continued to experience a surge.

Collectively, this Sunday was the least deadly day of the pandemic since March 28th. Daily growth rate in newly reported deaths dropped to 2% for the first time since March 2nd. I would expect a rather large spike tomorrow because of underreporting, but who knows? Taking the whole week into account, this past week saw fewer deaths than the previous two.

For the US, seems like these numbers will go back up with states easing restrictions despite a inadequate infrastructure for testing and tracing.

Concern is parts of the country are about to ride another wave and be forced to lockdown again.

I think that it's clear that physical distancing measures are working. No better proof than in the data.

We may somewhat normalize over the late spring and summer. The real question will be the fall. But at least this time we should all know how to prepare - we know what it takes to homeschool kids and work from home, we know what items will be in shortages (TP, flour, yeast, disinfetants) which means we can slowly stock up, hospitals have developed protocols and hopefully long-term care homes will as well. But everyone needs to be in it together.

Ugh hopefully people are over their amateur baking hour by then so I can actually find these products again.

Right?

I always buy 20kg bags of flour directly from a mill - happens to be close to where I live, and flour is amazing and at a great price. So I was inadvertently well stocked as I just bought a new bag in the first week of March. I don't bake much with yeast but I had 9 packets of instant left as well.

The silver lining is I was forced to learn proper sourdough on account of the yeast shortage. But I don't always have two full days to devote to bread prep lol.

In my state we've had no new cases in ~5 days, active cases down to approx. 20.

Germany is going in an excellent direction.

Two days in a row of extremely low case figures in a number of previous hotspots. The hope is that backlogs have cleared out and we're truly seeing the results of social distancing measures at work.

Let's see what the rest of the week brings.

I think that it's clear that physical distancing measures are working. No better proof than in the data.

We may somewhat normalize over the late spring and summer. The real question will be the fall. But at least this time we should all know how to prepare - we know what it takes to homeschool kids and work from home, we know what items will be in shortages (TP, flour, yeast, disinfetants) which means we can slowly stock up, hospitals have developed protocols and hopefully long-term care homes will as well. But everyone needs to be in it together.
Well said!
Depending on when we carefully reopen here in NYC (how close to Sept) I'll probably wait several days to a week till I go near any of my usual places a park :heart: first (!) take like 2- 3 weeks, month before I dive into fall prep thinking, then actions.

New Zealand has practically eliminated the virus-new cases are in the single digits. That's amazing.

Wow! How wonderful for them!

Last edited:
Germany is going in an excellent direction.

Two days in a row of extremely low case figures in a number of previous hotspots. The hope is that backlogs have cleared out and we're truly seeing the results of social distancing measures at work.

Let's see what the rest of the week brings.

And then there’s us in the states. Trump coming out today talking about tests.

Pence saying it wasn’t 4 million tests completed in the first week of March, it was 4 million to this point in time !! Mission accomplished

There will not be enough testing before November. There’s still no real tracing program. There’s no real isolation program.

Testing is kinda pointless without tracing. Without providing the means to isolate those made contact, we just run tests for the sake of tests.

Trumps narcissistic nature is the worst possible feature for a pandemic. We mean nothing to him. No one does. So the death count could be 60,0000 or 60,000,000. His demeanor wouldn’t change.

We are going to be forced to take a virus-punch in the face. You know he’s counting on this hurting more of potential democratic voters versus his own (and he wouldn’t care about his base anyway, end justify the means). Those of us that can afford to distance will do so, but the majority who cannot are low income and minority based.

He isn’t some brilliant planner of these things but he’s not stupid either. He knows damn well who’ll be hurt the most guy this. And even if he doesn’t, Stephen Miller does

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom