Global Pandemic Part II: Sequel Escalation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the articles mention they have yet to be tested on humans as you yourself have also pointed out...but it is really important to remember you see lots of drugs that are amazing in vitro but you get to humans many are not as successful.

I know people are really keen to hear about possibilities that offer hope, but I would remain sceptical until we have good human trial evidence.

They can even work well in animal studies but not in human trials.

For three years before I switched my path and went to law school, I worked in biomedical research. Our lab had 3 main streams but one of them was to come up with drugs that could treat lymphoma - and for every 50-60 compounds that looked promising in the lab, maybe 1 or 2 would be taken over by a pharmaceutical company for further testing.

The good news here is that there is a lot of collaboration around the world to come up with effective treatments, and later a vaccine. Not to say that there isn't usually, but these are extraordinary times and researchers are united in their work for the greater good as opposed to more direct funding for their lab or institution.

MrsS - did you see the trick with a paper clip to hold behind your ears?

Mike Bloomberg is coordinating and helping to finance a massive contract tracing project
for NY, NJ, CT.

Gov Cuomo said we can't be stupid by reopening too early. Where I live the reality is probably mid or late June. That is really tough to deal with. Schools already called off for the rest of the year.

Schools already called off for the rest of the year.

This yesterday, while anticipated, was a crushing blow. My son just "celebrated" his birthday 2 weeks ago without seeing any friends. Hasn't been to school in over a month and now its the final 2 months without. Coupled with of course no extracurricular activities, he had a decent role in the spring high school musical as a sophomore which was a pretty big deal, usually just end up in the ensemble. Now that's gone too.

Just glad this isn't his senior year, those poor kids missing out on so much. Proms, final season of spring sports/drama/chorus etc., and worst of all no graduation ceremony. They are still hoping to do some kind of graduation ceremony here over the summer, but that of course still remains to be seen, and it certainly won't be quite the same if it does happen.

FU Covid-19 and the horse you rode in on.

This yesterday, while anticipated, was a crushing blow. My son just "celebrated" his birthday 2 weeks ago without seeing any friends. Hasn't been to school in over a month and now its the final 2 months without. Coupled with of course no extracurricular activities, he had a decent role in the spring high school musical as a sophomore which was a pretty big deal, usually just end up in the ensemble. Now that's gone too.

Just glad this isn't his senior year, those poor kids missing out on so much. Proms, final season of spring sports/drama/chorus etc., and worst of all no graduation ceremony. They are still hoping to do some kind of graduation ceremony here over the summer, but that of course still remains to be seen, and it certainly won't be quite the same if it does happen.

Yes I know that's all so tough on kids. And parents. Lots of talk that it was due to pressure from teacher unions. I worked in a school for part of last year. It was an eye opener, unfortunately not a good experience for me. It's definitely true that the teacher unions wield lots of power and influence.

Walsh says probably two months for Boston. And given the way Baker has been I think he'll go the same way. So maybe they called school based on that as well.

I do hope it will be sooner than that if that is possible. I get that we have to be extremely cautious, but people are also suffering. Financially, mentally, health wise because they're not seeking care for other medical issues. And in many other ways.

Based on a graphic I saw on CNN the earliest MA could start opening things would be first week of June.

I don't expect that our kids will be back until September either. And then can absolutely see another shutdown in November or so.

This is a problem with a lot of downwind impacts. I have a 2- and 4-year old. So long as the daycare and the school remain closed, I am unable to return to the office. Our executives are talking about reopening the office in 3-4 weeks but what do they expect employees to do with their children? Leave them home alone?

. Our executives are talking about reopening the office in 3-4 weeks but what do they expect employees to do with their children? Leave them home alone?

giphy.gif

And just had a $400K contract for this summer at MIT canceled due to budget cuts related to Covid-19. It was 12 weeks work for almost my entire crew.
Went from looking like probably our busiest year ever to certainly the worst and maybe the last in the blink of an eye.

My oldest daughter is a senior, so it’s been a bit rough. We’re holding out hope there’s at least a graduation ceremony later in the summer.

I'm sorry for all those kids - you can't recreate the experience of those last months in high school.

I have one in school - JK - so it's not really an educational interruption for him as much as it is social. He is very smart but very interoverted and reserved and he had really come into a good groove at school this spring, had friends, was participating in class and just generally thriving. Now if you ask him, he doesn't want to go back, he wants to be home with Mommy and Daddy and chase the dog in the yard. It will be a total nightmare getting him back whenever it happens. I have battled anxiety that is mostly situational rather than chronic and I really feel for him because I was like him as a child. You wouldn't know it now, but it took 40 years to get to that point. My daughter is 2 and a totally different personality, more of an Attila the Hun type who will basically be fine with any situation in life so I worry about this disrupting her far less.

As today's task force briefing starts with CDC director Redfield "clarifying" yesterday's statements about the fall, this should be playing on the TV screens either side of the podium:

So how many people do we think are going to try and inject disinfectant or insert some sort of uv light into themselves due to Trump having no concept whatsoever of very basic biology?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom