Global Pandemic Part II: Sequel Escalation - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2020, 08:33 PM   #321
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:55 AM
As bad as he is right now, he’s only gonna get worse.

Old 04-13-2020, 08:37 PM   #322
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 06:55 PM
Fuck, this made me cry

Old 04-13-2020, 08:49 PM   #323
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus Maximus View Post
I am sorry but this is bull shit

Obama

H1N1. 12,500

CDC) estimates that from April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, there were 60.8 million cases, 274,000 hospitalizations, and 12,469 deaths

Joplin tornadoes: 180

Hurricane sandy 285

But guess what none of these are Obama’s fault - just like the other disasters weren’t Bush’s or Trumps fault either -
12k deaths over the course of a year is tragic.

New York State is nearing 10k deaths in 3 weeks.

This virus was always going to be bad. Hillary winning wouldn't have changed that.

Trump's 4 year erosion of the federal government and his utter incompetence has made things worse. It cut down on our ability to respond.

His racism and nativism didn't make a Hurricane hit Puerto Rico. It made his response worse.

He's a disagree.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:25 PM   #324
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 06:55 PM
The day has reset on Worldometers, so here's a numbers update.

Third day in a row in the US with fewer cases, down 7,000 (21%) from Friday. 500 (25%) less deaths in the last 24 hours than Friday's peak, with fewer still yesterday. This is important because there is typically underreporting that happens on the weekend that results in a Monday spike, which is to be expected on a holiday weekend in particular, but that did not happen this week.

Worldwide there has also been a daily drop and cases are down 23,000 (24%) from Friday. The growth rate in deaths has dropped from 10% last Tuesday to 5% for two days in a row. That growth rate is the lowest since March 9.

It's only a handful of days so hardly a game changing data point, but those are very significant decreases. I know it's too much to ask, but please, please let's not fuck this up.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:35 PM   #325
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:55 PM
Physical distancing is absolutely working.

Responsible countries will slowly open up in phases. Travel will have to be phased in extremely carefully and slowly. Likely create regions (for example, North America + Caribbean could form one travel region and not allow Europeans, Asians, etc until a vaccine is out, similar regions could be formed elsewhere) to better be able to control spread...because we won't get this to zero.

I trust many world leaders who have shown themselves capable of understanding what it takes.

Trump is the absolute worst because he doesn't have the excuse of being a despot from a "shithole" country that has no real economy and/or ongoing armed conflict and/or is on the verge of bankruptcy, and/or is a de facto or a real dictatorship.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:41 PM   #326
Blue Crack Addict

The responsible thing to do here is to not ease up anything at all.

The responsible thing to do is to keep shit the way it is until the rate is near zero, then adapt society until a treatment or vaccine exists.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:46 PM   #327
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyNumber7 View Post
The responsible thing to do here is to not ease up anything at all.

The responsible thing to do is to keep shit the way it is until the rate is near zero, then adapt society until a treatment or vaccine exists.
The reality is that there are many people (myself included) who could continue to work remotely until a vaccine is out. This includes most professionals (lawyers, people in finance, marketing, design, IT, etc). There is ZERO reason for any of us to return to the office for many months, or even until a vaccine is out.

What is trickier are smaller businesses that are currently closed but do need to start functioning to some extent. We also have closures of non-critical healthcare (dentists, physiotherapists, speech pathologists, etc) that cannot go on for 2 years. Schools are another issue - you cannot expect parents to work full time for 2 years at home while also home schooling and taking care of babies/toddlers. That is wholly unsustainable. I know, because it's the reality that I'm living.

My guess is that this is a lot more weather-sensitive than we think and the northern hemisphere will go relatively quiet and then the second wave will hit hard starting around October/November. Meaning that schools will open in September only to be shut back down a couple of months later.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:54 PM   #328
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
We also have closures of non-critical healthcare (dentists, physiotherapists, speech pathologists, etc) that cannot go on for 2 years. Schools are another issue - you cannot expect parents to work full time for 2 years at home while also home schooling and taking care of babies/toddlers. That is wholly unsustainable. I know, because it's the reality that I'm living.

Thank you for saying this. I feel like there is a sentiment out there (not necessarily from anyone here) that everyone should be content to quarantine for x number of years until a vaccine as though there are no costs involved. And the costs aren't just economic - the longer people are locked down, the more intensive the related health issues will become for vulnerable populations, like those with mental health struggles, those in abusive relationships...the list goes on.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:55 PM   #329
Blue Crack Addict

I’m just crossing my fingers that after all of this is done we take a good hard look at how stupid and wasteful office buildings are. For 1/100th the footprint you can have a corporate network filled with systems in a tiny cooling space, dispatch your employees, and get this... rent office space a la carte!

I’m not denying that face to face interaction is highly valuable. It is. But most work is done for a lot of professions in one’s office. Why we can’t just work a la carte (maybe employee benefits or some shit) and do WeWork or whatever... I don’t know. Or share corporate in-office systems with another employee so you take up half the office space... remote one week, in the next.

Office space is stupid. Companies can save bajillions on land and/or rent, bajillions on issuing their employees multiple computer systems... employees can save loads on transportation... the environment doesn’t suffer...

I get that not everybody can do this, of course. But why we have this traditional model is... dare I say.. unamerican.

I love when I can make a capitalist argument to save the environment (and to let me roll out of bed at 8:45 AM for work ).
Old 04-13-2020, 11:18 PM   #330
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
The day has reset on Worldometers, so here's a numbers update.

Third day in a row in the US with fewer cases, down 7,000 (21%) from Friday. 500 (25%) less deaths in the last 24 hours than Friday's peak, with fewer still yesterday. This is important because there is typically underreporting that happens on the weekend that results in a Monday spike, which is to be expected on a holiday weekend in particular, but that did not happen this week.

Worldwide there has also been a daily drop and cases are down 23,000 (24%) from Friday. The growth rate in deaths has dropped from 10% last Tuesday to 5% for two days in a row. That growth rate is the lowest since March 9.

It's only a handful of days so hardly a game changing data point, but those are very significant decreases. I know it's too much to ask, but please, please let's not fuck this up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post

My guess is that this is a lot more weather-sensitive than we think
That was my first thought after reading the numbers Travis posted.
Would be both good and potentially bad. But at a minimum it would buy us time to work on treatments & vaccines and if it returns we have experience with the social distancing practices which would make a return to them quicker to implement and hopefully more effective from the jump the 2nd time around.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:22 PM   #331
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Office space is stupid.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:35 PM   #332
Blue Crack Distributor

Less office space... less meetings in general... more ability to telecommute? Sure, I'm all in favor of a lot of that sticking around. But there is something that is missing in with the lack of human interaction - from the simple and obvious like the expansion of your social circle, to the more subtle things like the dynamic between the people you manage and those who manage you.

Ther have been some very awkward and sometimes stressful moments with both over this past month - some of which could have been easily cleared up with a drop in, or wouldn't have even been an issue if the discussion was had in person vs slack or a 12 person zoom.

So while there are parts of working from home that I like? I really miss the office.

And, uh, yea... crowds are kind of key to my long term ability to stay employed.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:37 PM   #333
War Child

While I am personally able to work from home, I work for a small business that is a sole proprietorship, and our entire business model is predicated on in-person meetings that are no longer able to occur. If this goes on for more than a few months, I'm basically guaranteed to be out a job when my company folds.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:59 PM   #334
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
Less office space... less meetings in general... more ability to telecommute? Sure, I'm all in favor of a lot of that sticking around. But there is something that is missing in with the lack of human interaction - from the simple and obvious like the expansion of your social circle, to the more subtle things like the dynamic between the people you manage and those who manage you.

Ther have been some very awkward and sometimes stressful moments with both over this past month - some of which could have been easily cleared up with a drop in, or wouldn't have even been an issue if the discussion was had in person vs slack or a 12 person zoom.

So while there are parts of working from home that I like? I really miss the office.

And, uh, yea... crowds are kind of key to my long term ability to stay employed.

It’s not for everyone. Some companies need to be in face to face interaction. Especially if you’re a mascot 🤷🏻*♂️

Put consider what I’m saying. I wasn’t suggesting that we all need to work from home. I was suggesting that face to face interaction is the only relevant portion of office space. In fact, that’s why we should be adapting shared space systems like WeWork. Conference space is important. Small group space is important.

Individual offices are dirt fucking stupid in like 50% of companies. I don’t need an office. I don’t need three computers. I don’t need to drive to work. It would make sense if me and my colleagues met up in the WeWork office once or twice a week. For reference, we don’t even meet up at work!!! It’s all dial-in on Skype already, and we are in the same building!! How absurd is that? Dozens of millions of dollars of land and buildings, we have no space for new hires, we are trying to expand, stuffing people in offices giving them two to three computers each... only to be fully digital at work. dumb. Totally dumb.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:20 AM   #335
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Fuck, this made me cry

That's beautiful
Old 04-14-2020, 06:39 AM   #336
Blue Crack Addict

Very sad. On Easter Sunday I saw a CNN report about a church in Kansas that held multiple Easter services. Inside the church.

Virginia pastor who defiantly held church service dies of coronavirus
By Lee Brown

April 13, 2020

He practiced what he preached — then he died of coronavirus.

An evangelical pastor died of COVID-19 just weeks after proudly showing off how packed his Virginia church was — and vowing to keep preaching “unless I’m in jail or the hospital.”

In his last known in-person service on March 22, Bishop Gerald O. Glenn got his congregation at Richmond’s New Deliverance Evangelistic Church to stand to prove how many were there despite warnings against gatherings of more than 10 people.

“I firmly believe that God is larger than this dreaded virus. You can quote me on that,” he said, repeating it a second time to claps, saying that “people are healed” in his church.

Happily announcing he was being “controversial” by being “in violation” of safety protocols — with “way more than 10 people” at the church — he vowed to keep his church open “unless I’m in jail or the hospital.”

“I am essential,” he said of remaining open, adding, “I’m a preacher — I talk to God!”

On Sunday, his church announced “with an exceedingly sorrowful and heavy heart” that the pastor had died a week after being diagnosed with COVID-19.

His wife, Marcietia Glenn, is also sick with the bug, with church members offering their prayers.

Their daughter, Mar-Gerie Crawley, told WTVR that her father initially dismissed his symptoms because he has a condition that often leads to fevers and infections.

She is now urging everyone to stay home.

“It becomes very real to you,” she told WTVR after her parents’ diagnoses.

“I just beg people to understand the severity and the seriousness of this, because people are saying it’s not just about us, it’s about everyone around us.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:14 AM   #337
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
It’s not for everyone. Some companies need to be in face to face interaction. Especially if you’re a mascot *

Put consider what I’m saying. I wasn’t suggesting that we all need to work from home. I was suggesting that face to face interaction is the only relevant portion of office space. In fact, that’s why we should be adapting shared space systems like WeWork. Conference space is important. Small group space is important.

Individual offices are dirt fucking stupid in like 50% of companies. I don’t need an office. I don’t need three computers. I don’t need to drive to work. It would make sense if me and my colleagues met up in the WeWork office once or twice a week. For reference, we don’t even meet up at work!!! It’s all dial-in on Skype already, and we are in the same building!! How absurd is that? Dozens of millions of dollars of land and buildings, we have no space for new hires, we are trying to expand, stuffing people in offices giving them two to three computers each... only to be fully digital at work. dumb. Totally dumb.
Sure, that seems crazy stupid.

There's no doubt that we could eliminate a lot of office space even straight where it makes sense. In your situation it seems to make perfect sense. Even in my company... there is zero reason why finance, legal, the foundation, and I'd say half of HR need to take up such large swaths of real estate.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:10 AM   #338
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:55 PM
https://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/...ida-mayor-says

WWE as "essential business" - sounds about right for Florida.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:10 AM   #339
Blue Crack Addict

Just a laugh for today. Molson Coors delivered 10 cases to her house

Click image for larger version

Name:	coors.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	12457

PEOPLE.COM
By Jason Duaine Hahn
April 13, 2020 03:06 PM

While many people may be struggling to keep themselves entertained during the coronavirus outbreak, one Pennsylvania senior seems to be doing just fine in isolation — as long as she has enough beer, that is.

On Thursday, 93-year-old Olive Veronesi went viral on social media when she was photographed standing by a window holding a sign with a hilarious request. In the picture, Veronesi is seen smiling from ear to ear while holding a Coors Light can in one hand, and a dry-erase board that read “I Need More Beer!!” in the other.

“Olive Veronesi from Seminole, PA is doing her part to stay home and stay safe,” Pittsburgh CBS affiliate KDKA wrote in the caption of the photograph posted to their Facebook page. “She’s sending this message to her neighbors and to her daughter.”

The photograph — which was taken by a relative — has garnered more than 49,000 shares and 26,000 reactions on the social media platform, and commenters from around the world were smitten with Veronesi’s irresistible smile.

“I don’t know if you will see this beautiful woman but [you] are perfect! Your smile, your eyes and the presence [you] have is superior!” commenter Becky Hemze said. “Thank you so very much for the huge smile you are bringing me and the beautiful feeling you give me inside!!! You are a superior woman.”

“Olive, I love you to bits all the way from England,” wrote Martin Goodwin, along with a picture of a beer bottle he deemed “proper.

Some commenters even said they were trying to send beer her way.

Another photo posted later by KDKA showed Veronesi standing outside her porch while holding two can of Coors Light — and, once again, she was beaming with delight.

“It’s nice, something for a young lady,” Veronesi told the station.
Old 04-14-2020, 08:11 AM   #340
Blue Crack Addict

Click image for larger version

Name:	EVa90NMXQAAAjF3.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	12458