Global Pandemic Part II: Sequel Escalation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The next time someone says coastal elites/urban dwellers are mean/rude, remember how millions of us calmly stayed in our tiny apartments for months to stop the spread of the virus while southerners and midwesterners were selfish, cold-hearted little shits who tried to storm their capitol buildings.

(I stole this from someone else)

There aren't even words for how heartbreaking this is. I hate this damn virus so much.

5-Year-Old Daughter of First Responders Becomes First Child to Die of Coronavirus in Michigan

By Maria Pasquini
April 20, 2020 12:26 PM

A five-year-old girl from Detroit has become the youngest person — and first child — to die of coronavirus in the state.

On Sunday, three weeks after Skylar Herbert was hospitalized on March 29, her parents made the difficult decision to take her off a ventilator, and the child died, according to The Detroit News. In addition to testing positive for COVID-19, Skylar had also developed meningoencephalitis, a rare form of meningitis, which casued brain swelling.

“We decided to take her off the ventilator today because her improvement had stopped, the doctors told us that it was possible she was brain dead, and we basically just knew she wasn’t coming back to us,” mother LaVondria Herbert, who works as a police officer in Detroit, told the outlet.

LaVondria, 46, and her husband Ebbie, a Detroit firefighter, sought medical attention for their daughter on March 23, taking her to a pediatrician after Skylar complained of persistent, painful headaches, the outlet reported.

Skylar tested positive for strep throat and was given antibiotics, but her headaches continued and she began “crying so bad,” that LaVondria and her husband decided to take her to the emergency room.

There, she was tested for coronavirus, and the results came back positive.

Skylar was released from the hospital one day after her diagnosis, but then Ebbie, 48, began experiencing coronavirus symptoms. The family went back to the emergency room. (Ebbie’s coronavirus test came back inconclusive.)

“Out of nowhere, Skylar began complaining about her head hurting again and then she just threw up,” LaVondria told The Detroit News.

After being readmitted into the hospital, Skylar’s family learned of her meningitis diagnosis, and as her health began to worsen, she was put on a ventilator.

“She was the type of girl that would just run up to you and jump in your arms and hug you,” LaVondria said, remembering her daughter. “It didn’t matter what she was doing, she would stop what she was doing and tell me she loved me like 20 times a day.”

skylar-herbert-87-1.jpg

9fd88570-4576-4eb9-8266-de3a621ed1e2-skylar_mom_3.jpg

Took an antibody test. Came back negative. I was hoping that i had the virus and was able to move on.

Especially when we read that so many are asymptomatic.

Suppose it’s shown I’ve done a good job of washing my hands tho

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-04-20/coronavirus-serology-testing-la-county

Los Angeles County's antibody results are about the same as Santa Clara's in terms of percentage: an estimated 2.8-5.6% of the population is likely to have the virus already, about 221,000 to 442,000 people in total. There are currently 12,000 positive active cases in the county, so we're talking a number 18 to 36 times above what has been reported.

There have been 600 confirmed deaths in the county, so if we stick to the middle of our speculative COVID-19 total (331,500), we get an IFR of .00181. The current CFR is 5%. One problem with speculating IFR using these numbers is that we have no idea how many COVID-19 deaths went unaccounted for leading up to the lockdown. Almost certainly hundreds. Still, we're talking about a CFR that is higher by orders of magnitude than the IFR because of insufficient testing and asymptomatic cases.

Keep testing. Keep researching. There's so much that we still don't know about this virus.

Such awful news about that little girl who died :(. Still think this is not a big deal, you dumb as fuck protesters?

If there's any good news to take from this insanity, it does seem like most Americans aren't being swayed by the protesters' temper tantrums:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/yahoo-ne...s-reject-antilockdown-protests-124259347.html

An overwhelming majority of Americans, Republicans included, are rejecting right-wing protests — encouraged by President Trump — to immediately “reopen” the country in the midst of the world’s largest and deadliest coronavirus outbreak, according to a new Yahoo News/YouGov poll.

The survey, conducted April 17 to April 19, found that a full 60 percent of the public opposes the largely pro-Trump protesters whose calls for governors to “liberate” their states by lifting lockdown measures have attracted intense media attention in recent days — and whose message the president amplified Friday in a series of all-caps “LIBERATE” tweets about three swing states: Minnesota, Michigan and Virginia.

Only 22 percent of Americans say they support the protesters. Despite Trump’s messaging, even Republicans oppose the protests 47 percent to 36 percent. Asked whether they agree or disagree with Trump’s “LIBERATE” tweets, only a quarter of Americans say they agree.

The total number of protesters may be small. But the public’s dismissive attitude toward them reflects a deeper sentiment: Americans strongly disagree with those who claim the country is ready to reopen for business.

The margins aren’t close. Seventy-one percent of Americans — and 56 percent of Republicans — say they are more concerned about lifting the coronavirus restrictions too quickly than lifting them too slowly. Only 29 percent of Americans say the opposite. The same number (71 percent) say they want public health officials “to be fully able to test and trace new cases and outbreaks” before reopening; only 29 percent say they want the country to reopen “as soon as possible to prevent further economic damage.” And more than twice as many Americans say the U.S. is not conducting enough coronavirus testing to track future outbreaks of the virus (52 percent) than say it is (22 percent).

I just watched the best interview with General Russel Honore from Katrina days. Jessica Yellin interviewed him. I watched it on her Instagram, I'm sure she must have posted it on Twitter too.

He says that the US military should be leading the efforts in this pandemic. Among other reasons, he says well they know how to get shit done. He talks about the importance of honesty from leaders during these times.

He's 73 now. I still remember his leadership and honesty.

Today's White House Coronavirus Task Force briefing topic: The border wall with Mexico.

Why not at this point? I love how CNN doesn't even show most of his blathering bullshit now. As much as CNN has gone off the deep end during the pandemic I applaud them for cutting off Trump during these briefings.

Why not at this point? I love how CNN doesn't even show most of his blathering bullshit now. As much as CNN has gone off the deep end during the pandemic I applaud them for cutting off Trump during these briefings.

Yeah but that forces me to watch Fox News as that's about the only place that'll show the whole thing, and we all need a good laugh these days and with Hollywood shut down, this is the best sitcom around.

Yeah but that forces me to watch Fox News as that's about the only place that'll show the whole thing, and we all need a good laugh these days and with Hollywood shut down, this is the best sitcom around.

I know, it forces me to watch it too. It is the best sitcom, but it's tragic too. Tragic that he turns these briefings into a narcissism crap show. And that some people believe him.

If the inability to ramp up testing isn't the final nail in Trump's reelection coffin we might as well just make him the dumb king that he already thinks he is.
"Inability" suggests it's something the Trump administration wants to do but is incapable of doing. "Supression" is more like it. You can tell by the partisanship of these testing talks just how little Trump wants to see the real numbers.

His puny brain can't wrap his mind around the idea that it's his only route forward.

It's nice that Dr. Birx always mentions her concerns about Massachusetts at this time. Especially because Trump doesn't indicate that he gives a damn. He never even mentions the state-the reasons for that, who knows. One could speculate.

I think it's important to note that when any gov atm talks about testing capacity they tend to only be referring to labs able to process the tests ( at least here in the UK). The availability of the test itself and the manpower required (nurses etc) to do the test is a different story.

Shopping in times of Corona:

Each like yields a donation for German clubs and discos.

He clearly has no idea why Rosa Parks did what she did. Disgusting to compare those protesters to her.

An ally and occasional adviser of President Donald Trump said those protesting coronavirus restrictions were “the modern-day Rosa Parks,” referring to the icon of the civil rights movement who refused to give up her bus seat.

Stephen Moore made his comments in a Washington Post article published Friday.

“I think there’s a boiling point that has been reached and exceeded,” Moore, an economist and conservative commentator who Trump unsuccessfully tried to nominate to the board of the Federal Reserve last year, told the Post.

“I call these people the modern-day Rosa Parks — they are protesting against injustice and a loss of liberties,” Moore said.

While he does not work in the White House, Moore has been advising the president on economic issues surrounding the coronavirus.

So my idiotic state of Wisconsin, who voted for Trump in 2016 and whose Supreme Court overruled our Democratic Governor in delaying last Tuesday's election, now has at least 7 confirmed cases of individuals who voted last week, including a poll worker. Should be interesting to see how many more confirmed cases there are in the next couple days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom